Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Lady Disdain posted:

I'm having powerful father in law envy.
I suppose there are edible mushrooms around here, but I don't know anyone who collects them, and I wouldn't be game to venture out on my own with no knowledge. I'll keep my eyes open for "How to identify edible mushrooms" workshops in the future, but I'm not sure I'll come across any.
Next time I'm in the woods, I might take some photos of mushrooms, though, and try to identify them, just to see what I'm working with.

Probably wherever you are there are some rules of thumb that will let you pick at least a couple of species safely - here for instance I know that all light-coloured mushrooms with spines are edible and tasty. We have a bunch of these in the fridge right now waiting for me to make lunch:

Definitely a good idea to get local advice though, because the rules for my region are almost certainly not the same as in yours. If you get into it you can expand your repertoire slowly as you learn more, and just be sure never to eat any mushrooms you aren't 100% confident on.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

A little late to the bread making party but i've tried making these and they have come out pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4cAQle0gLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuSWeQihw4U

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
My most recent dessert. Banoffee pie, cream on the side because it was far too liquidy to actually be part of the pie itself.
It's made with the same oil shortcrust I used in last week's treacle tart, minus the sugar. This miso and date caramel, and the "cream" is coconut yoghourt blitzed with soaked cashews and a load of vanilla.

It wasn't until I opened the oven door and got a whiff of the smell that I remembered that I hate cooked bananas. Given that, it wasn't bad. My dad thought it was great.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I will happily eat all of that pie for you so it doesn't go to waste.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Already gone, I'm afraid. But it was incredibly easy. At some point in the future, I think I'll make the same again, but with apple or pear instead of the banana. Or possibly just leave it at the date caramel (maybe with a crumble topping).

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Last night, I bought 600 grams of cayenne chillies (marked down from $18 to $2.25 !), which I would normally make into schug.

Does anyone have suggestions for a meal that uses lots of chillies?
Or a different type of delicious sauce ?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Not a recipe, but I would probably dry some to make homemade chili flakes.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
It's a good suggestion, and I'd normally consider it, but dried chillies are pretty cheap around here, so I have a huge bag of them in the pantry that I've been using for sauerkraut.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, I figured it was probably a thought that had come up already, but the only other thing my brain could come up with was "I'd make all of the hot sauce. All of it." because I will splash hot sauce on basically everything, but that seemed even more of an obvious answer.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Chilli jam

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Oh man, chilli jam looks so good, but I'm a wee bit put off by the amount of sugar.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The most obvious answer is hot sauce or salsa but you can probably some of those chillis into a paste and use them in various dishes/marinades. I've done that before and it stores pretty well in the freezer.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Actually I take my answer back, make mirchi ke pakoda.

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/mirch-pakoras-chilly-pakoras/

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Chili crisp.
It's trendy right now, easy to make, and tastes way better than it has any right to. It's good on everything, even dessert.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 9, 2021

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

eSporks posted:

It's good on everything, even desert.

I am chili crisp's most ardent defender.

But what the gently caress

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Okay, I think I'm going to make chilli crisp, and then sort of combine these two recipes: Spicy chilli crisp sesame noodles and Mushroom salad with chillis (liang ban).

Any leftover chillies will either be made into schug, or minced and frozen (unless some other wonderful ideas pop up itt).
Thanks everyone.

e: I forgot how to url

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Zenithe posted:

I am chili crisp's most ardent defender.

But what the gently caress
I know this is the vegan thread, but put it on some vanilla ice cream. Or a pumpkin pie. Or just some chocolate.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

eSporks posted:

I know this is the vegan thread, but put it on some vanilla ice cream. Or a pumpkin pie. Or just some chocolate.

No

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ok

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Chilli and chocolate is a very classic combination, so I can't see that being bad.
A wee bit less convinced by the other two.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Tonight's dinner:

Veg and chickpea "tajine" with wholemeal couscous. Sweet potato, kent pumpkin (squash, for those who aren't Australian), carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, green beans, sultanas.
I didn't have any ras el hanout, so I just threw random spices and some harissa at it. Tasted it 20 minutes before it was done, and it was pretty bland. But simmering magically made it delicious.

Tiramisu for pud again.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Sweet and chili is a very tasty combo

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
For dinner tonight, I made these spicy chilli crisp noodles, with the addition of several heads of charred baby bok choy and choy sum, and a dozen sliced and sautéed Swiss brown mushrooms.
It was incredibly delicious; that dressing is a real winner, and it's going into my regular rotation.

The intention was to use some of my many chillies to make chilli crisp for the recipe, but then I remembered that I already had chilli oil in the fridge, so I used that instead.
I bought coriander, though, so I'll make schug in the next couple of days with my 600g of chillies.

I also made hummus for the first time today. I didn't bother taking a picture because it looks pretty much like any other hummus.
I used Michael Solomonov's recipe. My food processor isn't powerful enough to get it silky smooth, but I'm the only one eating it, and I don't mind a little graininess. It's scrummy, though. Although I'm not sure about the 1:1 chickpeas to tahina ratio; I think I'll increase the chickpeas next time.
And my lemons weren't very sour, so I ended up whacking in some vinegar at the end to get the tartness I like.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

This might just be my general area, but I can't get tofu regularly right now to save my life. Only one that is in stock, and doesn't disappear almost immediately when they do get some is silken.

Segue
May 23, 2007

I finally bought some fermented tofu (sneakily in with the pickles at the grocer and not the tofu) and was super impressed by it. Though the smell is bad and the weird slimy water is offputting, the taste and texture themselves are like a super funky blue cheese. There's such depth!

I made a simple Sichuan recipe from Fucshia Dunlpp with just garlic, chilis, and greens, with the tofu mixed in some water as a sauce and it was incredible. Great flavour mellowed out by cooking, almost caesar dressing-like. Can't wait to keep trying out things.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's one of my many favorite foods! Once you start to like it, one of the simplest things you can do with it is put it on rice and eat that. Just rice + tofu. Good stuff.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
And while we're speaking of China, a random recipe: spicy Hunan steamed tofu and mushrooms. And you can make the salted chilies yourself if you want.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I made a really tasty oven "risotto" tonight.
Roasted beetroots, carrots, pumpkin and sweet potato, blitzed with toasted walnuts, Italian herb mix, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast. Added to oven-cooked rice. Very tasty, and not too much work.
Not worth taking a photo of, though; just pretty purple rice.

A question:
Does anyone have a satisfying alternative to cheese ?
I've been craving calzone, but all the recipes I can find for vegan calzone call for vegan "cheese," so I'm looking for something else. I'm not concerned with the melty texture or anything, just something to contrast the flavour of the tomato sauce. My only thoughts are some sort of tofu concoction, or a cashew cream.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Lady Disdain posted:

A question:
I've been craving calzone, but all the recipes I can find for vegan calzone call for vegan "cheese," so I'm looking for something else. I'm not concerned with the melty texture or anything, just something to contrast the flavour of the tomato sauce. My only thoughts are some sort of tofu concoction, or a cashew cream.

You could try an almond "ricotta" (plenty of versions out there) or something more creamy like this. That last one has been perfect for those times when I make to make a traditional pizza or some baked dishes.

On the topic of cheese. I replaced my ancient fridge and I've been able to reliably make cultured and aged nut 'cheeses' again

Not something I crave or go out of my way to make too often, but it hits the nostalgia spot &t non-veg people who I served it to were wondering if I was cheating about being vegan.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Mango Polo posted:

You could try an almond "ricotta" (plenty of versions out there) or something more creamy like this. That last one has been perfect for those times when I make to make a traditional pizza or some baked dishes.

On the topic of cheese. I replaced my ancient fridge and I've been able to reliably make cultured and aged nut 'cheeses' again

Not something I crave or go out of my way to make too often, but it hits the nostalgia spot &t non-veg people who I served it to were wondering if I was cheating about being vegan.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Do you have a recipe that goes with that picture ? It looks amazing. I googled cultured nut cheese, and found this recipe, which looks interesting and doable, but not as good as yours.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Lady Disdain posted:

A question:

One way to approach it could be some kind of olive salad kind of thing, like muffuletta or giardiniera or whatever. Misses the texture completely, but it gives a rich and savory flavor and might pick up some of those flavors you’re missing from cheese.

I haven’t fully thought this out, but maybe you could stuff one with a bit of hummus? Like veggies, hummus, and a bit of tomato sauce. I wouldn’t really call it a calzone at that point but it could be interesting. Or maybe not.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
If you're just looking for some creaminess and savory flavor I always like some potato or whipped cauliflower.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I haven't tried it, but an influencer I saw posted a "cheesy crumble" they said is good on pasta and salads. It's just whatever kind of nuts and seeds you want with equal parts nutritional yeast. Blend it up into little bits and add a splash of apple cider vinegar.

I want to try it out, seems good.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Mango Polo posted:

I'm also interested in learning more about this extremely good-looking cheese.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I won't be making calzones for at least a week, so I have some time to ponder. But my current plan is some sort of béchamel + mashed cauliflower. I think.

eSporks posted:

I haven't tried it, but an influencer I saw posted a "cheesy crumble" they said is good on pasta and salads. It's just whatever kind of nuts and seeds you want with equal parts nutritional yeast. Blend it up into little bits and add a splash of apple cider vinegar.

I want to try it out, seems good.

I have tried this. I seem to remember that it was pretty good. Don't remember what I did with it, though. Probably just put it on pasta as a parmesan sub.

Danes4ever
Sep 29, 2021

Lady Disdain posted:

A question:

Try a béchamel sauce- I use it instead of ricotta in lasagna and other dishes that benefit from a creamy component. I usually put a couple tablespoons of nutritional yeast in my béchamel before it gets too thick and it adds some more body. You follow the recipe for a traditional béchamel sauce but instead of butter I use earth balance and for the liquid I use unsweetened plain almond milk. Sometimes I will use half-broth and half- almond milk too.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Fake cheese talk: I just leave cheese off my red sauce pizzas. They taste fine to me without any kind of replacement. :shrug: You could do the same with a calzone I'm sure.

A couple random recipes:

Peruvian donuts with fig syrup
Creamy cashew udon with crispy mushrooms

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I've tried pizza with no cheese, and am not a fan. It just feels like it's missing some sort of contrast. So when I make pizza I usually use store-bought vegan cheese, but I wanted to try something else with the calzone.

Danes4ever posted:

Try a béchamel sauce- I use it instead of ricotta in lasagna and other dishes that benefit from a creamy component. I usually put a couple tablespoons of nutritional yeast in my béchamel before it gets too thick and it adds some more body. You follow the recipe for a traditional béchamel sauce but instead of butter I use earth balance and for the liquid I use unsweetened plain almond milk. Sometimes I will use half-broth and half- almond milk too.

I make my béchamel with olive oil, and lots of nutritional yeast. I find that miso also gives it some wonderful complexity. (But I put miso in just about everything.)

Segue
May 23, 2007

I find for cheese I tend to want just a creamy richness. So for pizza I usually use dollops of hummus and it bakes up very similar to goat cheese.

Alternatively, just try to find dips that work in a similar way: muhammara, pesto, babaganoush, all those provide a similar textural and flavour richness that cheese does while not having the weirdness of trying to imitate cheese exactly.

I use them a lot for sandwiches and wraps, I've even pureed sweet potatoes to similar effect. Just ask what you want cheese to do in the recipe and odds are there's an existing vegan dip that fills that gap and is more flavorful anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I grew up in Eastern Pennsylvania so I'm very used to cheeseless pizzas-- what we call tomato pie (very different from Southern US tomato pie) was basically a kind of pillowy dough, almost like a foccacia, with a sort of unusually thick, sweet tomato sauce and either no cheese at all or a very light sprinkling of parmesan. It's very good and the dough is usually vegan.