Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Hope you like skiing without poles like a 4 year old!

I'm glad it went well and that your recovery doesn't seem too complicated ahead of you.

Poles interfere with kid wrangling anyway.

I’m about two weeks out from my own much less significant shoulder injury from bike crash; pedal struck and went head first into the end of a log. Scraped, bruised, and likely sprained rotator cuff. Everything except the shoulder is all better, and it is improving quickly now but not quite good enough to ride again.

Itching to get out there now that Sierra Pacific Industries has opened their land back up to the public; lotta good trails I’ve not gotten to ride much or at all this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Has anyone else toned down their riding and the features they ride to try and stay out of the overcrowded ICUs? I know it's not as big of a deal now, but over the summer I had a baby on the way so I did my best to try to take safer lines and not over-extend myself because I didn't want to risk having to go to the ER.

My daughter is still only a month old, so I'll probably not get rowdy until next year.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

Hopefully the pain won't last long. Stay strong, goon.

Thanks. Last night was much much better. Actually slept etc in between take pills alarms so I dont let the levels drop too low.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Nocheez posted:

Has anyone else toned down their riding and the features they ride to try and stay out of the overcrowded ICUs? I know it's not as big of a deal now, but over the summer I had a baby on the way so I did my best to try to take safer lines and not over-extend myself because I didn't want to risk having to go to the ER.

My daughter is still only a month old, so I'll probably not get rowdy until next year.

Absolutely. This is also the first year I didn't have a bad crash, and I'm still having fun so I think I might just stay at this lower level. I'm also finding that pushing it harder on everything that isn't downhill is making things almost as fun -- if you can pedal hard enough on a flowy XC trail, it starts to feel a bit like DH.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nocheez posted:

I work in the ICU, ER, etc, and we appreciate this mentality but hurting yourself with a trauma like that represents very little additional resource allocation, because you're not going to be destined for a medical floor, which is where we're running out of beds. The ICU thing, it would have to be the degree of accident to put you in the ICU whereby your concern for the overcrowding would really not be a thing.

To put it in perspective, 30% of our ER visits are psych patients who come in about once every month or two months and 50% of those hurl insults, slurs, fists, or literally their own poo poo at staff. The ICUs are full (although it's getting better) with idiot unvaccinated adults who are putting all of our families at risk every time we have to enter the room, or with people who refuse to manage their diabetes, take their heart pills, etc. To have an actual reliable, reasonable adult in the ICU who isn't going to be constantly on the call bell to make stupid demands is such a rare and beautiful experience that absolutely nobody is going to care about it.

TLDR: playing it safe for your own reasons (child coming, getting older, etc) is absolutely reasonable by itself, don't worry too much about being a burden to healthcare.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

VelociBacon posted:

TLDR: playing it safe for your own reasons (child coming, getting older, etc) is absolutely reasonable by itself, don't worry too much about being a burden to healthcare.

Thanks for your perspective. It's also about the burden on my family and my workplace, but the idea of taking home a virus to an infant without a fully-developed immune system was my #1 concern.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Steve French posted:

Poles interfere with kid wrangling anyway.

I’m about two weeks out from my own much less significant shoulder injury from bike crash; pedal struck and went head first into the end of a log. Scraped, bruised, and likely sprained rotator cuff. Everything except the shoulder is all better, and it is improving quickly now but not quite good enough to ride again.

Itching to get out there now that Sierra Pacific Industries has opened their land back up to the public; lotta good trails I’ve not gotten to ride much or at all this year.

1) Go see a PT if you haven't, I've had a couple rotator cuff injuries that didn't get better until I got help. Or google some exercises or something, but I'm pretty sure you need to encourage blood flow to the area to promote healing and light exercises that don't activate the major muscles in the shoulder is the best way to get the blood flowing. I think internet PT CAN work, but all my friends who've done internet PT have had longer healing times and worse outcomes than myself and other friends who've done in person PT. I'm lucky to have a very good PT I see for any big injury, but I know thats a little unusual.

2) I think rotator cuff injuries are connective tissue as much as they are muscle injuries, and my very basic understanding of healing time is soft tissue and muscle is ~2wks out, ligaments/connective tissue ~4wks, bone matrix ~6wks so you might have another couple weeks before you notice improvement.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Ironically I've definitely been riding more conservatively in terms of trail selection and just how aggressively I'm riding in general because of the pandemic and not wanting to end up in the ER.

I crashed on a trail I've ridden many times and know very well and I wasn't trying to push it.

Life comes at you fast :shepface:

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

spwrozek posted:

I believe Fox recommends 125 hours or once a year currently. nothing wrong with doing it more often though.

The 125 h is the full upper and lower service and they don't say anything about a lower service in between. Which is pretty funny because they used to be 30h/100h and I'm pretty sure they haven't changed anything that would justify skipping the lowers.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

pinarello dogman posted:

The 125 h is the full upper and lower service and they don't say anything about a lower service in between. Which is pretty funny because they used to be 30h/100h and I'm pretty sure they haven't changed anything that would justify skipping the lowers.

you could be right for sure. I tend to just do it all since I am already in there.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Definitely better to do lower services more often. Even just pulling the lowers, cleaning, replacing oil without changing the seals. Now that it's been brought up I might do another one to get me through the season Then do a full shock rebuild over the winter and replace my grip damper with a fit4 instead of bothering to take it apart because I want a LSC dial.

Swapped tires today, the vittoria xc tires were toast so it's a trail bike now

Got the dhf last fall so I only had to buy one tire too which was nice.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Nocheez posted:

Im not much of a mountain biker but I'm taking everything a bit slower. When I do take out the hardtail I'm rolling the rollers instead of hitting em like kickers, avoiding launching off the docks etc. I also skipped our shortened CX season.

A few weeks ago riding some single track on the hardtail I managed to clip my bar on a tree twice. First time I got tossed into a wood pile and chewed up my leg p bad, second time my bike slid sideways stem plate first into the next tree hard enough to fill one of the bolts with bark. No idea how I didn't pulverize my computer. I'm always at risk of clipping my ba s because I'm so used to riding single track on drops.

The saving grace is there's only a month left before we get snow and crashing on the fatbike is usually just cold and hilarious.

We're looking for another lockdown and shutdown of most events by end of November so probably no fat bike racing this year.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 8, 2021

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Nocheez posted:

I could lie to you and say yes, but between the early start on the season and a lot of extra riding this year (like three days a week on average) it's really hard to hold back when the joy-o-meter is saying 'look how much fun you're having, wouldn't it be funner to hit that root section faster??? Cmon just do it!' 2021 is my MTB comeback season and the kid jumping into the sport with both feet has made the latter half of 2021 my happiest year in general in the past decade. Also there was a lot of not doing poo poo last year to make up for.

That being said I do have internal guidelines set:
- I don't do drops over 24-30";
- I walk any obstacle that I haven't previously cleared;
- If the trail is wet any log over that looks in any way sketchy is a free pass;
- The household no emergency room policy that I set applies to me too regardless of where I am.

So far that's working out well. I've got tons of scratches all over my legs but only went OTB once this year (first time in 20 years and I totally ran the wrong line, low speed, and poor body positioning).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nocheez posted:

I broke my collarbone when my kid was really young (<1). It's a good way to get your wife pissed at you as a bonus.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Suburban Dad posted:

I broke my collarbone when my kid was really young (<1). It's a good way to get your wife pissed at you as a bonus.

I'm having a vasectomy in a few weeks, I plan on claiming to be in a lot more pain than I am so I can play more vidya games. /s

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

I’ve been all around taking it pretty easy this year for covid and young kids reasons, but I had not considered the very specific ramifications of that specific injury. Yikes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Broke my wrist when our first was about 1. Baby was on the bike (in a car seat) and didn't even wake up.

Nocheez posted:

Has anyone else toned down their riding and the features they ride to try and stay out of the overcrowded ICUs?
Ayup. Broke bones twice before the pandemic, and for the last 1,5 years it's been chill flow trails for this idiot.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 8, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

I took an ER doc work friend up Whistler and he fractured his hand. His wife, an ortho surgeon, was apparently 'more disappointed than mad'.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nocheez posted:

I'm having a vasectomy in a few weeks, I plan on claiming to be in a lot more pain than I am so I can play more vidya games. /s

Heh. Get a jockstrap. I didn't and wished I would have listened to advice. Wasn't too bad though.

VelociBacon posted:

I took an ER doc work friend up Whistler and he fractured his hand. His wife, an ortho surgeon, was apparently 'more disappointed than mad'.

Mine was more in the context of "now I can't do jack poo poo to help with the kid." Can't pick them up, get them out of a crib, put them in a car seat, anything. Little ones already are exhausting, doing it all alone is that much harder.

E: Sorry for derail. This is the bikest thing I've done in a long time because of health issues. :smith:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 8, 2021

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

Heh. Get a jockstrap. I didn't and wished I would have listened to advice. Wasn't too bad though.

Mine was more in the context of "now I can't do jack poo poo to help with the kid." Can't pick them up, get them out of a crib, put them in a car seat, anything. Little ones already are exhausting, doing it all alone is that much harder.

E: Sorry for derail. This is the bikest thing I've done in a long time because of health issues. :smith:

That garage ceiling height is majestic. I wish I could just magic my bikes into the sky like that.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thoughts on Polygon Hardtails? Yay? Nay?

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Next Tuesday is New Bike Day, so I'm going to be selling my hardtail.

It is a 2016 Marin Bobcat Trail 7.5 with the following changes:
-Deore RD-M615 rear derailleur w/ goatlink
-11-42T Deore cassette
-Ditched the front mech, now runs 30T oval chainring, have a spare 32T oval and a 30T round to go with it.
-Bontrager Line Comp 30 wheels with the pawl upgrade in the freehub to 106 points of engagement, 2 years old
-Deore M4100 brakeset, 180m rotors front and back, 2 years old
-50m stem, 780m handlebars (Deity bar and stem that's pictured is getting swapped to the new bike)
-Fork is the same but was rebuilt a couple years ago, Rockshox had changed the design of the compression damper, works better than it did new
-Replaced the QR skewers with Shimano XT's
-2.4in High Roller II front, 2.4in Ardent rear, getting a little worn at this point but still have some life.
-Paint is scratched to hell and back, has a small dent in the downtube but otherwise no frame damage.

Non-boost spacing and straight head tube make further upgrades questionable, but none of what I've changed has been inconsequential. A coworker is getting first refusal friend-pricing but, if he doesn't want it, I was thinking of asking around $500. I am a lovely haggler, though, is that fair? Should I ask for more, given scarcity?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

That's a :krad: view.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Was at the sea otter classic today and was sorely disappointed by the lack of free clif bars.

In other news, slalom is really entertaining to watch.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Is there much difference between an included dropper like the TranzX and a PNW Loam/One Up? From what I can find the PNW Loam is also made by JD.

My current TranzX dropper doesn't seem to like to hold pressure for longer than 2 months after which it starts becoming sluggish again. Is that just something inherent to the design or is it worth looking into upgrading to the One Up v2? It's pretty annoying having to reinstall the saddle each time it needs to be topped up.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

paberu posted:

Is there much difference between an included dropper like the TranzX and a PNW Loam/One Up? From what I can find the PNW Loam is also made by JD.

My current TranzX dropper doesn't seem to like to hold pressure for longer than 2 months after which it starts becoming sluggish again. Is that just something inherent to the design or is it worth looking into upgrading to the One Up v2? It's pretty annoying having to reinstall the saddle each time it needs to be topped up.

I've had the TranzX and the Loam. The lever is nicer on the loam and it seems to come up a bit faster. I haven't used it (Loam) much yet but it seems nicer build quality wise than the TranzX. TranzX never gave me any issues for a year or two that I used it and I never had to top it up. You might have a leaky seal somewhere causing it to bleed down.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

paberu posted:

upgrading to the One Up v2?

Is any One Up a generic post? I thought they had their own designs. I got the v2 because its low collar and base height meant I could run a 180 instead of a 150.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I need some help from y'all.

Here is my bike:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-3-2019

I have a SR Suntour fork and I cannot obtain the parts to do a fork rebuild from their website as they're out of stock. Do I have any other options for obtaining the parts and oil to do the rebuild?

I haven't contacted my local Giant dealer because they were a Giant pain in the rear end the last time I needed to get parts, but I will go there if I can't find anything else. My bike is 2 years old and definitely overdue for some love.

I love everything else about my bike, and if I can't maintain it I might just ride it until it fails and throw a new fork on it.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
I’d contact a suspension shop (dirtlabs, Push, whoever you have local) and see if they have the parts or can get them. Oil is oil, so you have a lot of options as long as you know the proper weight(s) for your fork. There are also sites that sell generic seals and foam rings, like Real World Cycling/Enduro Fork Seals. You could shoot them an email and see if any of their seal kits fit.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Bud Manstrong posted:

I’d contact a suspension shop (dirtlabs, Push, whoever you have local) and see if they have the parts or can get them. Oil is oil, so you have a lot of options as long as you know the proper weight(s) for your fork. There are also sites that sell generic seals and foam rings, like Real World Cycling/Enduro Fork Seals. You could shoot them an email and see if any of their seal kits fit.

Thank you! This is good information.

I've rebuilt my fork on my old bike, but I did it like 3 years ago and this is the first Suntour I've had. The Fox was very, very simple to get completed.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Hello all, I recently discovered that there are some nice trails near my house and started to get back out on my bike for the first time in over a decade.

So of course as of a week ago Saturday that led to my first crash in over a decade.
https://i.imgur.com/tFKIybW.mp4

It was a lame crash to begin with but the GoPro sure makes it look even more lame.

Dirt hits harder at 35 than it used to, that's for sure. The lower thumb/wrist area I hit first with on my right arm just finally reached the point of not being colorful and my left knee still has a bunch of "rugburn" that's really sensitive if I kneel on it.

I've ridden that section of trail a bunch but for whatever reason that drop looked deeper than I remembered it as I approached the edge so I panicked, grabbed front brake, and the rest was physics. I start to ride away in the clip but once the adrenaline wore off my right hand was unbearable to put pressure on and my handlebars were loosened up enough that the wheel turned when I hit the brakes, so I ended up walking most of the way back in.

FWIW here's what I'm riding:

I know very little about it, back when I bought it in 2008 all I wanted was full suspension and this was the first thing I found that I could afford. I'm pretty sure the frame is too small for me (I'm 6'0", 200 lbs), the seat post definitely needs to be cut down (it's as low as it can go right now), and my gear shifting bits definitely need calibration as the front often ends up on 1 when the shifter is set to 2.

Is this bike worth putting any money in to or should I just do what I need to do to keep it going while I look for something that's a better fit?

Also, even before the crash my hands would often hurt after a few miles of riding, mostly in the pointer finger tendons. Is that probably caused by the bad seating position or am I holding the bars wrong or something?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

paberu posted:

Probated poster meowmeow says try replacing the valve core.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

n8r posted:

Probated poster meowmeow says try replacing the valve core.

That's a good idea, will try it out.

In other questions - are the 11sp chainrings compatible with 12sp shimano chain + rd/cassette? I'm thinking of upgrading the wheelset in the future and figured I would make the switch to 12sp microspline at the same time. Want to see what the cheapest upgrade path would be in that case from my current Deore 11sp.

Been looking at the Hunt XC WIDE wheelset since they are Alu and not too expensive.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

PNW loam is really nice and it comes with a pretty little rubber ring you can match to the colour of your bike

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

paberu posted:

That's a good idea, will try it out.

In other questions - are the 11sp chainrings compatible with 12sp shimano chain + rd/cassette? I'm thinking of upgrading the wheelset in the future and figured I would make the switch to 12sp microspline at the same time. Want to see what the cheapest upgrade path would be in that case from my current Deore 11sp.

Been looking at the Hunt XC WIDE wheelset since they are Alu and not too expensive.

I think shimano 12s chain is only compatible with shimano 12 rings, and then stuff that specifically lists that it's compatible. But if you're getting a whole new drivetrain a chainring isn't a big add to that. Also there are like no shimano drivetrain parts available anywhere so i wouldn't worry about it too much. Also you can probably just order an extra freehub body with those wheels so you have both.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

jamal posted:

I think shimano 12s chain is only compatible with shimano 12 rings, and then stuff that specifically lists that it's compatible. But if you're getting a whole new drivetrain a chainring isn't a big add to that. Also there are like no shimano drivetrain parts available anywhere so i wouldn't worry about it too much. Also you can probably just order an extra freehub body with those wheels so you have both.

Got it, chain rings are kinda hard to come by right now so I might need to price in a whole groupo sans brakes.

Are there any other wheelsets I should keep in mind? I'm wanting to convert my Kona Honzo to a nimble all day distance bike so I'm trying to get a tentative price to save towards. My current wheels are WTB ST i30 TCS rims with basic run of the mill Shimano hubs.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

hemale in pain posted:

PNW loam is really nice and it comes with a pretty little rubber ring you can match to the colour of your bike

Does PNW actually make their own stuff now? Years ago they were selling a fairly expensive dropper post that you could buy off Chain Reaction Cycles for significantly less money...just had a different brands logo on it (Brand-X). Kind of turned me off from their products.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

jamal posted:

I think shimano 12s chain is only compatible with shimano 12 rings, and then stuff that specifically lists that it's compatible.

This is true. 12 Shimano chains are a touch narrower than 12 SRAM so you'll get poor shifting with most KMC 12s chains even if they come stock with their bike, and chain suck with a lot of 12s narrow wides that are designed for SRAM. A few of my coworkers found this out the hard way when they bought Shimano 12s bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

bikes!