Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

illcendiary posted:

Holy poo poo! Indeed you can. Seems like you have to add from the App Library so a little cumbersome but it works. My mistake for not actually trying that our, that’s really awesome.

You can just drag it down from the spotlight search thing too so you don’t have to keep swiping to the App Library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I wish there was an option to ignore group chats in a focus.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

You can just drag it down from the spotlight search thing too so you don’t have to keep swiping to the App Library.
Little thing to keep in mind, doing it that way seemed to remove the app from existing shown screens, vs being able to do multiple copies from the App Library. Found that out by making a driving screen without hiding my main screen first and kept losing an app off there.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Kilometers Davis posted:

What’s the verdict on the Private Relay beta so far?

It's not 100% bulletproof, hence the beta designation, but aside from maybe 2-3 times it's poo poo the bed since August and I've had to turn it off momentarily it's been completely transparent.

Hide my email is a nice icloud+ feature too now that everyone wants you to create an account online to do anything.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh wow, Find My now shows a live location instead of only updating every 60-seconds. Nice!

I think they have to be on WiFi to get live status. When my wife is mid commute the "live" label disappears.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was driving home yesterday and noticed a spot of 5G UW at a stoplight (first time since I got a 5G phone), so of course I did a quick speed test:

Lol that upload

Then I turned the corner and it dropped to LTE lmao

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

How are you guys using focus modes? I am completely unimaginative and can’t think of any use cases outside of sleep and work modes.

You can automate to launch a focus mode for specific apps, a preset Apple gives is for Gaming. Another use case could be if you record a lot of video, or livestream, you can automate going into a focus mode when you launch the camera/streaming apps.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Endless Mike posted:

I was driving home yesterday and noticed a spot of 5G UW at a stoplight (first time since I got a 5G phone), so of course I did a quick speed test:

Lol that upload

Then I turned the corner and it dropped to LTE lmao

I've been seeing patches of T-Mobile's 5GUC mmwave around the Boston metro:

Better then my maxed out Xfinity (lol) plan at home bring on the 5G overlords

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

I think they have to be on WiFi to get live status. When my wife is mid commute the "live" label disappears.

I was watching my wife drive on the highway yesterday while I was at a kid soccer game, so I don’t think that’s the case. I don’t think I changed any settings.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

Better then my maxed out Xfinity (lol) plan at home bring on the 5G overlords

This was better down than my FIOS connection but nowhere near as good as the up. But also I've never felt like my gigabit symmetric was too slow and it consistently tests at or near the advertised speeds. Cheaper than I pay for cell service and no data cap. I'm in no hurry to switch to wireless.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mad Wack posted:

You don't even necessarily need mmWave to get those speeds. I got 778 in a park near me that has a clear line of sight to the tower, and the AU phones don't have it.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Agreed. I got something like 550/550 in Canada and we don’t have mmWave either.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
looking at the docs apparently 5GUC is both for their midband network they got from sprint and also for their mmwave network so who knows which one i was picking up but i do know boston has mmwave around, will keep my eyes peeled and see if i can pull something faster then that

the Extended 5G or what they call 5G right now is the lower bandwidth network

carriers man...

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Anyone have a recommendation for an iPhone 13 mini screen protector? I like the hard-sheet kind that cracks instead of your phone's screen. I had one preinstalled on the iPhone SE I bought used and it ruled, but don't know the brand.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for an iPhone 13 mini screen protector? I like the hard-sheet kind that cracks instead of your phone's screen.

Those would be tempered glass screen protectors. I don't have any specific brand to recommend, but that's what you're looking for.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for an iPhone 13 mini screen protector? I like the hard-sheet kind that cracks instead of your phone's screen. I had one preinstalled on the iPhone SE I bought used and it ruled, but don't know the brand.

amFilm on Amazon. Good quality and feels like the actual screen for cheap. You get three in a pack and a good applicator tool for $7.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Those would be tempered glass screen protectors. I don't have any specific brand to recommend, but that's what you're looking for.
Thanks, I googled this and found the spigen ones. Now to obsess over which case to get...

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

First world problem report: i keep accidentally smudging the lenses on my iphone because the lens setup is so big.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Just discovered something super handy that people might find useful. If you bring up your list of tab groups in Safari and long press on one, you can get an option to copy the links to all the open tabs which will paste neatly into Notes as a bullet point list of page titles that are already hyperlinked.

Gonna use this a lot I think for shopping idea lists that I can quickly access through iCloud.com on Firefox on my PC.

edit: And of course links don't work on icloud.com's Notes web app, because why would any of Apple's web services actually be usable?

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 11, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

15.0.2 out

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Virtue posted:

First world problem report: i keep accidentally smudging the lenses on my iphone because the lens setup is so big.

I've caught myself subconsciously using the case's camera bump like a popsocket a few times. Dangerous territory.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Another exploit fix.

iOS 15.0.2 and iPadOS 15.0.2
Released October 11, 2021
IOMobileFrameBuffer
Available for: iPhone 6s and later, iPad Pro (all models), iPad Air 2 and later, iPad 5th generation and later, iPad mini 4 and later, and iPod touch (7th generation)
Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges. Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited.
Description: A memory corruption issue was addressed with improved memory handling.
CVE-2021-30883: an anonymous researcher

Edit: a few other fixes too

Photos saved to your library from Messages could be deleted after removing the associated thread or message
AirTag might not appear in the Find My Items tab
Device restore or update may fail when using Finder or iTunes for iPhone 13 or iPad mini (6th generation)
iPhone Leather Wallet with MagSafe may not connect to Find My (iOS only)
CarPlay may fail to open audio apps or disconnect during playback (iOS only)

Zero One fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 11, 2021

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

enojy posted:

I've caught myself subconsciously using the case's camera bump like a popsocket a few times. Dangerous territory.

It’s probably not a coincidence that I’m using a popgrip for the first time too.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I do agree the iPhone 13 Pro seems to be unfortunately a step down in being comfortable to hold, in large part due to the bump growth. On balance I think it's ok, but hopefully this can be one of the incremental improvements in the future. Physics have a limit though I know.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Inner Light posted:

I do agree the iPhone 13 Pro seems to be unfortunately a step down in being comfortable to hold, in large part due to the bump growth. On balance I think it's ok, but hopefully this can be one of the incremental improvements in the future. Physics have a limit though I know.

The leather case really makes it so much easier to hold. Without the case it really is too unwieldy for me to feel comfortable going out with it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The camera bump has zero effect on how I hold the 13 max, if anything it just helps me quickly know which way I’m holding it when I pick it up

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

CerealKilla420 posted:

The leather case really makes it so much easier to hold. Without the case it really is too unwieldy for me to feel comfortable going out with it.

Yeah leather case gang all day. The price and profit margin is criminal but it’s really the best one.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Yeah leather case gang all day. The price and profit margin is criminal but it’s really the best one.
Haven't people been complaining about the quality of the Apple leather cases in recent years? I really want to get one but I have to think there's something comparable that's cheaper or, at the very least, something that's higher quality for the price.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Josh Lyman posted:

Haven't people been complaining about the quality of the Apple leather cases in recent years? I really want to get one but I have to think there's something comparable that's cheaper or, at the very least, something that's higher quality for the price.

Quality peaked at the 7 when it came to leather quality, it's been getting noticeably worse since -- but it's still so above and beyond anything the secondary market can offer unless you want cowboy Horween poo poo that feels like a leather jacket in your hand.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I upgrade every year. The 11 pro case was nice. I sold my 11 pro to my coworker and it's still in good shape. The 12 pro leather case was crap. It had some dark stains around the corners and I dropped it twice, once a carpet and a small chip of leather came off.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone have info on supply issues? I went to buy a 13 pro this weekend but they were sold out at our local store and we were told they’re getting two shipments a week on undisclosed days. I’d like to avoid the whole ps5 situation where I have to camp Twitter for nine months.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m enjoying the 13 max camera after finally stepping up from the 8 plus but I’m not always able to choose my focus point well in macro mode.

Are there any especially good camera apps I should try for that and other general camera stuff? I’ve heard there’s good ones but never really tried much other than the default camera app.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Check out Halide, it’s a paid app but has a 7 day free trial.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Wheeee posted:

Check out Halide, it’s a paid app but has a 7 day free trial.

Yeah, Halide is super nice. But, jeez that price. Getting grandfathered in on the Mark 1 purchase was a steal.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

.Z. posted:

Yeah, Halide is super nice. But, jeez that price. Getting grandfathered in on the Mark 1 purchase was a steal.

The thing I really like about halide is the slight vibration and visual cue to let you know when you’re holding the phone level. If apple incorporated that into the base camera I’d probably just use that since I don’t understand the other halide functions.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

Anyone have info on supply issues? I went to buy a 13 pro this weekend but they were sold out at our local store and we were told they’re getting two shipments a week on undisclosed days. I’d like to avoid the whole ps5 situation where I have to camp Twitter for nine months.

It’s probably gonna be all over the place for the next month, if not the rest of the year.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Snowy posted:

I’m enjoying the 13 max camera after finally stepping up from the 8 plus but I’m not always able to choose my focus point well in macro mode.

Are there any especially good camera apps I should try for that and other general camera stuff? I’ve heard there’s good ones but never really tried much other than the default camera app.

I like ProCamera. It's great if you're familiar with digital cameras and want that kind of interface. I use the stock Camera app for point and shoot, but ProCamera if I want to play with the lenses.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've been using Camera+ for manual control of focus for years, especially for macros, and it's alright. I think I got it for free way back when Starbucks gave out free app codes.

Not sure how it works with the new camera system, especially since "macros" are supposedly better with the wide camera than the ultrawide that the stock camera uses.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Josh Lyman posted:

Not sure how it works with the new camera system, especially since "macros" are supposedly better with the wide camera than the ultrawide that the stock camera uses.
Not quite sure what you mean by this, since the new macro capabilities on the 13 Pro are definitely derived from the ultrawide camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

You can only change the iPhone's aperture by using the default camera app in portrait mode, correct? That's the one thing I really wish I could do in Halide. The new macro mode for non-iPhone 13 Pro's seems nice.

The latest iOS beta lets you switch between different lenses while taking a macro photo, but I honestly find myself having a hard time figuring out which lens is focusing better. I think I just need to get the hang of using it, but here's a crazy photo of some legal plants I'm growing with the Rich Contrast style turned on:

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 12, 2021