Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

The Grey posted:

I never watch Twitch, but isn't it just people playing video games live while talking about it? What do they need video editor for?

A lot of times they have a YT presence along with facebook and whatever else. They'll edit the videos to be more digestible to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Yeah twitch is a great deal of the means of production here.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Remember when people thought vine was so loving cool? Like hey you guys, we can just store videos in the jewels in Heh’s robe and the government totally can’t see us that way. :downs:

No, no one thought vine was cool, that's why it quickly failed.
TikTok, however, took the idea and made it cool.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

stratdax posted:

IIRC Vine was extremely popular but they failed to monetize it correctly. Also there was a bunch of poo poo behind the scenes which definitely helped it fail.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Streamers and video editing staff are people who work for a living and own their means of production, making them true comrades.

Actually they're kulaks and must be purged.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

stratdax posted:

Yeah then people were like hey let’s just upload all our videos to the chinese government, as long as it doesn’t go to the US it’s cool, but like the CIA is like literally 9% Chinese intelligence. So then some people were like welp tik tok doesn’t work for poo poo let’s go to twitch, which represents a faction of the cia and kgb that prevents data collection from China but also collects data for both parties and uses gang members to do illegal poo poo cops can’t do.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Poohs Packin posted:

:qq:IF YOU DONT THINK A BOY MAKING A MILLION DOLLARS FOR :qq: PLAYING POKER DEFENSE IS A :qq: TRUE PROLE YOU ARE A BOOMER AND ACTUALLY JEALOUS: The Thread.

Almost there but make it Happy Wheels and it'll be 10/10

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i don't think streamers even remotely own any means of anything. they need amazon's servers, twitch's website and whatever payment processing being used. the majority of income earned goes to those companies and they can be banned at any moment. they're employees with no rights.

people might spend their entire life for years chasing that 0.1% income bracket of 11k+ a year and fail to make anything at all. it's not far from MLM in terms of a prospect. you are chasing an audience to throw money at you for emotionally manipulative reasons, providing no additional product or service (emoticons do not count). most of it goes to amazon especially if you are a low earner.

they even have fake money called bits to make it not feel as much like money at the point of viewer/streamer. just fun little purple jewels.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 10, 2021

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Fame Douglas posted:

Okay, I'm sure some of them do that. But we were talking about the top earners? Most people aren't going to be able to make a living out of Twitch, that's just how it is.

If you're talking about top streamers you're even more wrong, but the average streamer, overwhelmingly among the full - timers, don't make a living solely out of twitch. This is the additional work I meant. Income comes piecemeal from twitch, YouTube, donations received while streaming directly, and later sponsorships and merch. The cycle is streaming to engage with your audience, make videos for YouTube for additional engagement, interact on social media to boost your presence, these 2 drive up engagement to your stream and the cycle hopefully continues and grows.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

OxMan posted:

OK dude they don't wow, I'm glad you're in the community and know this, I'm sure you're in a ton of content creator discords and small streamer boost groups right? Nah people that stream full time that aren't that top percent of earners function exactly like that.

Most people don't like being in Discord channels where people post pepe frogs and talk about wanting to kill black, trans and other minorities

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

cum

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Songbearer posted:

Most people don't like being in Discord channels where people post pepe frogs and talk about wanting to kill black, trans and other minorities

Yeah, that's the discussion and argument here and not an attempt to broadly call all streamers literal nazis apparently. I mean if it's a trans/ally streamer community I guess that's a bunch of nazis too. There's a disabled community too, and a lot of other LGBTQ streamers but they're all nazis, thanks for setting the record straight.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Songbearer posted:

I'm one of those people, and I've never been in a discord channel where people post pepe frogs or talk about wanting to kill black, trans and other minorities.

It's a mystery.

Perhaps most streamers have things called rules which are enforced by moderators?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Basically the more anyone self identifies as a gamer the harder everyone else will laugh.

All I've learned itt is that people not only want to be paid vast sums of money for playing video games, they also absolutely must ensure that they are perceived as hard working business owners on top of it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Poohs Packin posted:

Basically the more anyone self identifies as a gamer the harder everyone else will laugh.

All I've learned itt is that people not only want to be paid vast sums of money for playing video games, they also absolutely must ensure that they are perceived as hard working business owners on top of it.

Do you have the same views about musicians?

Out of interest, what do you do for a career?

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

Poohs Packin posted:

Hmm…please expand on what constitutes hard work and what people should be paid.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

here come the celebrity millionaire defenders lmao

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
If all of the top 100 corporations shared 50% profits with their employees, we’d all be close to millionaires.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I don’t understand even the ‘good’ streamers, they buy a video game and then read all the dialogue out in annoying voices with intermittent comments like “what the gently caress”. Its boring. SA let’s plays were good because they were prerecorded and the LPer could insert interesting info. In a 12 hour stream you might get like 3 funny spontaneous moments

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
poo poo, think of all the techdorks who get a big cut of the performers work and are the one's actually loving up in this story.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021
I wonder how much money streamers make from people using their free Prime sub. Also wonder if the free subs tend to go to different types of streamers.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I don’t understand even the ‘good’ streamers, they buy a video game and then read all the dialogue out in annoying voices with intermittent comments like “what the gently caress”. Its boring. SA let’s plays were good because they were prerecorded and the LPer could insert interesting info. In a 12 hour stream you might get like 3 funny spontaneous moments

Streams with tens of thousands of viewers have as much correlation to quality as YouTube videos of elsas feet being tickled having 65m views do. The most people I've ever seen in a non GDQ or otherwise charity or professional event stream that didn't devolve into an impossible poo poo show is about 9-10k (ymmv) Most good individual streamers/local streamers/irl friends I follow have between 50-300 usual viewers.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

down n out posted:

If all of the top 100 corporations shared 50% profits with their employees, we’d all be close to millionaires.

Global GDP per capita is like ten grand.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Pewdiepie had two rich corporate executives as parents and then sat down infront of a videogame and got scared of scary games doing some of the most pathetic content I have ever seen and now he's got 40 million dollars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC_eHoOttIA

What you see above is how people get rich now

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Streaming its funny, its like someone made an entire industry based off how you watch your older brother play games when you're a kid.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

Weka posted:

Global GDP per capita is like ten grand.

Ok, you conveniently ignored the 50% profit sharing with employees in the direct quote. Apple has made a gross profit of over 100 billion this year. They also employ 147,000 people. If they distributed 50 billion among their employees, everyone would be 300,000 richer.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Caesar Saladin posted:

Streaming its funny, its like someone made an entire industry based off how you watch your older brother play games when you're a kid.

Yeah, the music industry is equally funny in that people can go from singing in showers to earning millions from album sales. IDGI personally...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Is that actually gross profit? Gross means before costs like rent, most staff salaries, electricity, communications, contractors, depreciation of assets, tax, office costs, etc etc. For most companies it is nowhere near the amount they actually 'have left'.

Looks like they have 'only' 57bn to share around for 2020 (though only 40bn is available as cash, 10bn less than 2019).

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 10, 2021

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Once you factor in that the CEO needs to make his 100 million then yeah there really isn't much left after that

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Booshit > The class consciousness in Videogames MEGATHREAD [1 2 3 ... 9999]

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

OxMan posted:

Yeah, that's the discussion and argument here and not an attempt to broadly call all streamers literal nazis apparently. I mean if it's a trans/ally streamer community I guess that's a bunch of nazis too. There's a disabled community too, and a lot of other LGBTQ streamers but they're all nazis, thanks for setting the record straight.

fuctifino posted:

I'm one of those people, and I've never been in a discord channel where people post pepe frogs or talk about wanting to kill black, trans and other minorities.

It's a mystery.

Perhaps most streamers have things called rules which are enforced by moderators?

The disease nestles deep in the breast of gaming culture and until the overton window pushes hard to the left there can be no peace

Only by exsanguinating all forms of gaming media and rebuilding it so no right wing rhetoric can harm the vulnerable can healing begin

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

The Grey posted:

I never watch Twitch, but isn't it just people playing video games live while talking about it? What do they need video editor for?
YouTube is important for discovery and subsequently additional revenue.

TikTok is another driver, but there isn’t much money to be made directly there.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

fuctifino posted:

Do you have the same views about musicians?

Out of interest, what do you do for a career?

You keep bringing up music as this sort of "gotcha" argument and its kinda weak. I understand they are entertainers, but successful musicianship typically requires years of study and practice. Good musicians spend a lot of years "in the shed".

Many musicians have to tour to make money, it can be difficult and requires weeks or months away from home. It requires logistics and, planning. Its fundamentally way, way different from streaming.

Musicians have to go through a complex creative process to give meaning to organized sound. Streamers are consuming a product made by someone else.

Sitting down and playing Rocket League doesn't require alot of creative effort. I played Skyrim this afternoon. I could have easily set up a go-pro and whoops im a streamer.

Im curious what my job has to do with any of this. Are you going to try and tell me streaming is harder?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Poohs Packin posted:

You keep bringing up music as this sort of "gotcha" argument and its kinda weak. I understand they are entertainers, but successful musicianship typically requires years of study and practice. Good musicians spend a lot of years "in the shed".

Many musicians have to tour to make money, it can be difficult and requires weeks or months away from home. It requires logistics and, planning. Its fundamentally way, way different from streaming.

Musicians have to go through a complex creative process to give meaning to organized sound. Streamers are consuming a product made by someone else.

I keep bringing up music, because I'm an ex professional touring musician, I also understand the streaming industry, and I can see the parallels. As for you claiming that all professional musicians have studied for years and practice.... lol.... I've done European tours with some of the most talentless fucks I've ever had the misfortune to play with.

At the end of the day, successful streamers have something in the same way that successful musicians have something, which is why people give them money, and regardless of what you believe, successful streamers have to put in a poo poo ton of work to get where they are. Your refusal to accept that or see that doesn't mean it's not real.

quote:

Sitting down and playing Rocket League doesn't require alot of creative effort. I played Skyrim this afternoon. I could have easily set up a go-pro and whoops im a streamer.

You'd probably fail if you stream with the same personality that you post. You need a good and interesting personality to be a streamer, which is why many streamers fail. It's not just about playing the game.

quote:

Im curious what my job has to do with any of this. Are you going to try and tell me streaming is harder?

Just curiosity regarding your motivations.... but I think I've worked out that it's a mixture of total ignorance about the industry mixed with a bit of jealousy. My curiosity is extinguished now. Thank you.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Poohs Packin posted:

You’d attract no viewers and make no money from it hth you understand the difference here

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

fuctifino posted:

Yeah, the music industry is equally funny in that people can go from singing in showers to earning millions from album sales. IDGI personally...

I'm not really sure what your point is here. Are you trying to argue with me or something?

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

Poohs Packin posted:

Even the most obtuse person will get respect if they can speedrun skyrim in under 30 minutes.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Parasocial relationships with dorks are bad, m'kaaaaay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Im playing a Nude NPC sexy mod with WH40k weapons and all dragons skinned to look like Thomas the Tank Engine. Also my follower is a giant crab with a lightsabre and Im about to cause an active shooter event in Whiterun.

Tune in to my stream if you wanna see Nazeem catch a bolter to the face by a lizard woman with giant tits.