Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

balls deep on break week level discussion and the official chapter hasnt even dropped yet, this is gonna be a rough two weeks i can feel it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
We can talk about other shonen series in the meantime, if like that.

What’s everyone been reading besides One Piece? Witch Watch and Sakamoto Days are really good, I look forward to them almost as much as OP. :)

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Endorph posted:

'the databook stuff makes it seem like oda might move in a disappointing direction with their character?'

Yamato kicks rear end with whatever pronouns though.

But I understand the disappointment. It's unfortunately tone-deaf of Oda to play it as a joke.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Chapter is officially out:

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1010002

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The most :psyduck: chapter in a while.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I dunno what you mean man, nothing really stood out as abnormal. If the Brachocoilus thing threw you off then maybe you need to hit up a museum idk.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Queen is such a freak.

Also the WG just casually gonna try and seize the country on top of every old thing. One wonders how many admirals are on that fleet.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
the obvious answer to Sanji's situation is the black raid suit having nanomachines :twisted:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Caidin posted:

Queen is such a freak.

Also the WG just casually gonna try and seize the country on top of every old thing. One wonders how many admirals are on that fleet.

Oooh didn’t even occur to me this might be a good time to see the Green Bull guy for the first time. It’s crazy to me we are this late into the story and there’s still unrevealed characters

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Queen is so good. One of Oda's unexpected skills is making excellent use of animals with very long necks.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 10, 2021

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

*D&D Commentary* So on their way to Wano, the WG and CP0 kinda forgot about Big Mom and her fleet.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

if the baseless fan theory that green bull is the same guy that helped yamato in the prison cave and is also theorized to be zoros dad, then this would probably be the best way to introduce him. if theres no green bull on those ships, then we can put all of that to bed on the spot. though fwiw i do think its possible, we just have nothing to go by other than some tangental "doesnt eat" stuff, some sketchy timelines and if hes zoros dad then hes probably got green hair to go with being green bull. whom knows

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

gently caress me, how does this arc even end? They've been technically fighting for Wano since the New World began, and they obviously can't leave it for the Marines. Maybe they just absolutely clown on them and they have to run back to Marine HQ. What's even the alternative that doesn't undercut Luffy's victory?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

gently caress me, how does this arc even end? They've been technically fighting for Wano since the New World began, and they obviously can't leave it for the Marines. Maybe they just absolutely clown on them and they have to run back to Marine HQ. What's even the alternative that doesn't undercut Luffy's victory?

i think vegapunk shows up and sides with the strawhats

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If Vegapunk shows up, I'm popping off.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's always the classic "Blackbeard shows up and ruins everything for everyone".

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
orochi is gonna get what he wished for, just not how he wanted imo:

the only way they could probably take down a yonko is with whatever new thing vegapunk developed. i think that maybe they were on route already and changed plans.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Would be a good time for the straw hat armada to come through

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
We had a video game cover but the most powerful reference is Yamato “Okami” running around in full wolf god mode.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Did the WG orget that Big Mom is there too? There's more than just 1 yonkou to deal with in Wano

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Big Mom originally went to Wano to get Luffy, right? The WG could probably be operating under that assumption.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah I don't think most of them know the specifics of what's been happening.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
I like that Oda has taken the opportunity with Dinosaurs to just make up whatever the hell he wants regarding what they can do. Triceratops fly? Of Course! Brachiosaurus have detachable head? You bet! Who is going to prove him wrong? They have been extinct for millions of years!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm pretty sure I remember World Government freaking out at the potential Big Mom-Kaido alliance. It was a while back though so I don't remember what exactly got out, but CP0 is basically getting a live update on the casualties in this battle. With that level of intelligence, I think they know about Big Mom's role in all this.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

oddium posted:

when the wg moves in yamato is going to stay behind to defend wano as its protector. i take no pleasure in reporting this

It'd be better if he learned from Oden's mistake and left with the Strawhats so he could come back later with reinforcements.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Brandfarlig posted:

Yamato kicks rear end with whatever pronouns though.

But I understand the disappointment. It's unfortunately tone-deaf of Oda to play it as a joke.

I agree that he kicks rear end. But regardless of Yamato's gender identification, his pronouns are he/him. I think this should be uncontroversial considering his disposition within the Beast Pirates and being referred to as the Son of Kaido, despite whatever indications a databook has.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
can't believe lucci continues to underestimate Luffy

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tir McDohl posted:

I agree that he kicks rear end. But regardless of Yamato's gender identification, his pronouns are he/him. I think this should be uncontroversial considering his disposition within the Beast Pirates and being referred to as the Son of Kaido, despite whatever indications a databook has.
It's not currently controversial, no. I think the fear is that over the course of the story Yamato will change his pronouns to she/her. Worst case, he'll do this as part of a realization or "coming to his senses" about literally being Oden vs carrying on his will or something, which would imply his gender identity was part of a delusion.

This hasn't happened, and I'm not going to assume it happens, but I couldn't fault someone for emotionally defending against that kind of twist, because it would be really lovely and I really don't have faith that Oda won't pull something as bad as that.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

yamato coming to a "realization" that he has to be himself and carve his own path in life and reverting back to she/her pronouns in the wake of this is imho just as likely as any other outcome, unfortunately

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

If it happens I imagine it'll be less a "realization" and more "Now that my job is done, I no longer need to adhere to the role of 'Oden' "

Which would also go with the whole theoretically-still-present kabuki theater framing, maybe?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Tir McDohl posted:

The databook only says that Yamtao is biologically female, but we will call Yamato he/him until they say otherwise in the story.

People have taken that one bit of info in a really gross way, which weirdly enough they aren't doing for Kiku which I don't get at all even though it's the exact same situation.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Asuron posted:

The databook only says that Yamtao is biologically female, but we will call Yamato he/him until they say otherwise in the story.

People have taken that one bit of info in a really gross way, which weirdly enough they aren't doing for Kiku which I don't get at all even though it's the exact same situation.
If I understand this issue correctly, it's actually the exact opposite situation for Kiku. As I understand it Kiku was categorized as biologically male with the "heart of a woman," which, it has been explained, is about as respectful a term for a trans woman there is in Japanese.

Yamato was not described as having the heart of a man or anything like that, just that he's biologically female, hence people's trepidation as to where Oda is going with this character.

Assholes in other online communities apparently leapt on the distinction to reach... hugely disrespectful conclusions. But in this thread the negative reaction was purely concern for the perceived increased possibility that Oda will bungle this potentially positive trans representation. At least that's how I recall how the discussion went.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Since the goal of the scabbards is to do what Oden wanted with his last words, "open up Wano's borders" maybe the WG coming in isn't that bad? Like joining them is probably the quickest way to open up the border and with an emperor on their side (Luffy) they're in a good position to negotiate a good deal the WG might accept because it's easier than starting a war.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Eiba posted:

If I understand this issue correctly, it's actually the exact opposite situation for Kiku. As I understand it Kiku was categorized as biologically male with the "heart of a woman," which, it has been explained, is about as respectful a term for a trans woman there is in Japanese.

Yamato was not described as having the heart of a man or anything like that, just that he's biologically female, hence people's trepidation as to where Oda is going with this character.

Assholes in other online communities apparently leapt on the distinction to reach... hugely disrespectful conclusions. But in this thread the negative reaction was purely concern for the perceived increased possibility that Oda will bungle this potentially positive trans representation. At least that's how I recall how the discussion went.

Yeah that's my understanding too.

It's incredibly uncomfortable to see so many people out there ignoring the character's pronouns, to justify their attraction to someone who has breasts but identifies as a man.

I know it sounds petty but at this point I want Yamato to (ultimately) identify as anything but a cishet woman. Just to spite those who insist on misgendering him.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Man with Hat posted:

Since the goal of the scabbards is to do what Oden wanted with his last words, "open up Wano's borders" maybe the WG coming in isn't that bad? Like joining them is probably the quickest way to open up the border and with an emperor on their side (Luffy) they're in a good position to negotiate a good deal the WG might accept because it's easier than starting a war.

Even if the Marines rocked up with Koby and Smoker* representing them, Luffy would probably still resist any attempt to let them establish a presence in Wano. The Pirate King doesn't negotiate with the WG. If any such agreement is made, it'll be done with Luffy's strong opposition.

(*I'm leaving out Garp because regardless of the circumstances I fully expect Luffy to lay into him the first opportunity he gets)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Asuron posted:

its not the exact same situation. the way characters are listed in the book is as follows. ill use queen as a control case.

queen

kiku

yamato

its worth noting that while you can make the distinction between gender and sex in japanese, the word they're using in that book encompasses both, hence the 'heart of a woman' note for kiku instead of just listing her as gender: female. the lack of such a note for yamato implies theyre as female as queen is male.

of course its possible the story will go a different way with yamato and oda is just too dense to realize trans men exist, but still, it's canonical information that is sending a certain signal.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 11, 2021

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Tir McDohl posted:

But regardless of Yamato's gender identification, his pronouns are X/X
:bighow:

Imagine pulling this kind of statement when talking about a real life person.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Man with Hat posted:

Hmm, actually being annexed by the WG is probably not a very bad outcome considering the alternatives of anarchy, being being enslaved under a dictator like Orochi, being targeted for domination by a Yonkou, etc. Like you'd lose a lot of autonomy but also you would presumably have a much more normal society with (not complete lack of but) a lot less slavery and lawlessness.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Would it really be good for Wano to join the WG? My understanding so far is that it’s a country that’s pretty closely linked to the “enemies of God” that made the poneglyphs and other anti-WG/void century artefacts. Surely the WG would subjugate Wano just as brutally as Kaido did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

rannum posted:

If it happens I imagine it'll be less a "realization" and more "Now that my job is done, I no longer need to adhere to the role of 'Oden' "

Which would also go with the whole theoretically-still-present kabuki theater framing, maybe?

Yeah but that would still be like “Yamato wasn’t really a man and was just playing pretend” which is still not a good resolution.