Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Beaver Creek hosts a world cup every year and the mountain is still quite skiable. So doing Garmisch during that time would be no problem is my guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

And 30 minutes up the street you can go up the Zugspitze and ski on the glacier when I was there it was like completely empty

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

My main concern is lodging - Airbnb and Hotels.com aren’t looking great for then at St Anton, Zermatt or Verbier. Val Thorens is looking a bit better, but it’s also a bit more of a gently caress to get to from where we are (no directs to GVA and still need a bus transfer from GVA)

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Oh boy the ski company is hosting a town hall about the housing initiative tomorrow, with booze. Should be quite the event.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Hello snow thread! I will be in Denver, CO in early November for just over a week, with a wide open schedule for any kind of fun that we can't get in Florida. Are there any skiing spots within a 1-day driving distance of Denver that might have snow this early in the year?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Unsinkabear posted:

Hello snow thread! I will be in Denver, CO in early November for just over a week, with a wide open schedule for any kind of fun that we can't get in Florida. Are there any skiing spots within a 1-day driving distance of Denver that might have snow this early in the year?

All of them?

From Denver it's like an hour and a half to the Summit where you can access like 6 resorts.

Stay in Dillon or Frisco or Silverthorne, ski Breckenridge or Arapahoe Basin or Copper Mountain or Vail or Beaver Creek or Keystone or Loveland

kiimo fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 6, 2021

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

kiimo posted:

All of them?

From Denver it's like an hour and a half to the Summit where you can access like 6 resorts.

Stay in Dillon or Frisco or Silverthorne, ski Breckenridge or Arapahoe Basin or Copper Mountain or Vail or Beaver Creek or Keystone or Loveland

gently caress me, okay. Uhhh... any recommendation on which will be more fun for beginners and/or less crowded, or should I just roll the dice using the time-tested "gently caress it, pick the second cheapest"?

Thank you for the breakdown, that is hugely helpful

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

People in this thread love the poo poo out of Loveland although I haven't been. It's east of the Eisenhower tunnel and the closest to Denver but because of that it's also just east of the continental divide and gets less snow generally or at least from my experience early in the season. Once you go through the tunnel the weather is often completely different.

I'd say avoid Arapahoe if you have beginners, even though it is less crowded it's also hard. For beginners I don't think you can go wrong with Breck. I haven't skied Colorado in two decades though, others might have more contemporary opinions.

There used to be a Summit Pass that you buy and you can ski any of the areas you want so if you aren't feeling one you can just go to the next. I am not sure about these days though after Vail took over the world.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kiimo posted:

All of them?

Are any ski resorts going to have enough snow in a month?

edit: https://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado/post/23038 :getin:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I enjoyed Beaver Creek and there is definitely beginner friendly terrain there. It is less crowded than Vail or Breck, ut a further drive. I would look into a 1 or 2 day epic pass or iKon pass somewhat soon, as I think you can only buy them before the season.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah poo poo early November you might be poo poo out of luck on actually skiing. Still worth it to visit though if even to just be in town and take a gondola up and down. If that is the case Vail and Breckenridge are your targets for Après Without Skis

edit: I guess I didn't mention Winter Park because I don't ever think about it. You can actually take a train directly to Winter Park from the Denver airport. Obviously it is faster to drive but I bet that train ride is worth it

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 6, 2021

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Do any of the resorts have an intertube hill? That might be an option too.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Unsinkabear posted:

A-basin, Keystone, and Loveland MIGHT have a run open. It will not be worth going though. There will be no beginner runs open/they will be very crowded. the best bet is Keystone as they open the one big green run fist now but it would have to be a weekday. it still would probably not be worth the cost. You are better off just going to a state or national park or just a drive imo.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Do any of the resorts have an intertube hill? That might be an option too.

These are typically targeted to open mid December for the holiday period.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

spwrozek posted:

A-basin, Keystone, and Loveland MIGHT have a run open. It will not be worth going though. There will be no beginner runs open/they will be very crowded. the best bet is Keystone as they open the one big green run fist now but it would have to be a weekday. it still would probably not be worth the cost. You are better off just going to a state or national park or just a drive imo.

These are typically targeted to open mid December for the holiday period.

If Loveland still does WROD down Mambo that's beginnerish. But it'll be 40' wide with people shoulder to shoulder, so nevermind you're right.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are things usually more decent by Thanksgiving? Trying to figure out if it's worth it for my sister to bring her stuff for a day out on Friday/Saturday.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I have very fond memories of the Copper WROD being 95% ski racers while patrol desperately tried to stop us all from skiing fast. Then a Japanese girl skied into me lol but we were both fine.

And we had to slip a snowboard racing course to get to our lane when we finally got space.

Honestly a great trip for the memories alone even if the skiing was not fantastic.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Residency Evil posted:

Are things usually more decent by Thanksgiving? Trying to figure out if it's worth it for my sister to bring her stuff for a day out on Friday/Saturday.

Impossible to forecast. Sometimes Thanksgiving has great conditions, other times it's still essentially wrod. We'll know more by early Nov

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

In the back by the bar with my fingers crossed they announce they’re selling the resort. But not to Vail.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Ski areas in the Rockies usually open just after Thanksgiving at the earliest.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I remember going to Park City and getting some moderate skiing in over Thanksgiving.

The week after we left it snowed two feet.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

Just depends. I have been here 10 years and have been able to ski before TG every year. 2 years were pretty good conditions at TG, 1 year was blower powder and vail couldn't open terrain fast enough.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Ski areas in the Rockies usually open just after Thanksgiving at the earliest.

I would say this is generally incorrect for Colorado. Every resort will have something open by TG day baring an insane heatwave. If it is worth paying to go is a whole other story though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah the story I told above about WROD was during the first week if November IIRC and then halfway through our ten days there we got two feet of powder during the day and Mr Hookshot almost died trying to pick me up.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

November in CO has decent skiing one out of every 5ish years.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

They look sillier with bindings mounted

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Steve French posted:

Ok, I usually only slap on skis once a year for closing weekend, but these may change that.

How the hell do I get a pair?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Was just looking at those new union approach skis and it looks like what you’ve got would be great to mount splitboard bindings on.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It snowed a bunch in Mammoth yesterday.

It's coming.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUz6_x6J-Ua/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Moey posted:

Ok, I usually only slap on skis once a year for closing weekend, but these may change that.

How the hell do I get a pair?

Probably best bet is to sign up to be notified when they’re available. I jumped on it without thinking last time they made a run. https://www.momentskis.com/products/frankenblade

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Was just looking at those new union approach skis and it looks like what you’ve got would be great to mount splitboard bindings on.

That’s interesting; I hadn’t seen those before. That said, I imagine these would be too narrow for that at 99mm; those approach skis are like 150mm and split board bindings and snowboard boots are similarly wide. Not a lot of surface area for skin grip either. Might be okay for mellower climbs without much side slope.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yeah you’re right. I am curious about the approach ski idea though. If I could find some 110 ski blades I could get my karakoram quiver bases on them I bet.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Steve French posted:

Tiny skis with normal sized feet or regular skis with ginormous feet

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
So, powdrcorp is turning their resorts into Disneyland.

'Resort operator Powdr is launching dedicated fast-access lanes at four of its mountain resorts this season: Copper Mountain in Colorado, Killington in Vermont, Mt. Bachelor in Oregon and Snowbird in Utah. To access the lanes, which will be located at the most popular lifts at each mountain resort, guests will need to purchase a daily Fast Tracks pass. They will start at $49 a day, but have dynamic pricing based on the mountain, peak periods, holidays and day of the week, and go on sale Nov. 1.'

Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/skiing-snowboarding-resort-rules-11633705877

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
gently caress you powdr.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I remember that Mammoth in the pre-Ikon era had some super expensive season pass that let you use the ski school lanes

https://twitter.com/NWSWPC/status/1...ingawful.com%2F

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Ugh no more grad school or quarantine so I grabbed new everything this year and am ready to toss my Avalanche D63 into the car and go! Hoping travel options overseas are open as well, I need to renew the frequent travelers pass in prep.

Couldn't find a lime green jacket so I went with safety orange instead and a 156 NS Harpoon which will be the shortest board I've ridden in over a decade.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

So, powdrcorp is turning their resorts into Disneyland.

'Resort operator Powdr is launching dedicated fast-access lanes at four of its mountain resorts this season: Copper Mountain in Colorado, Killington in Vermont, Mt. Bachelor in Oregon and Snowbird in Utah. To access the lanes, which will be located at the most popular lifts at each mountain resort, guests will need to purchase a daily Fast Tracks pass. They will start at $49 a day, but have dynamic pricing based on the mountain, peak periods, holidays and day of the week, and go on sale Nov. 1.'

Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/skiing-snowboarding-resort-rules-11633705877

Copying what Northstar does (or did?) with their Platinum Pass i guess?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

luminalflux posted:

Copying what Northstar does (or did?) with their Platinum Pass i guess?

No they’re definitely modeling off the mount Bohemia gold pass

a thing that only exists because they sell so many $100 season passes a year the place is an unbearable shitshow when it snows

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Some years back I remember hearing about this shop in BC which does full custom boots by frankensteining different components together. Expensive, but rave reviews.

Anyone know where this is? I think they were out in the Kootenays or something but google is failing me unless Covid shut them down for good.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Rime posted:

Some years back I remember hearing about this shop in BC which does full custom boots by frankensteining different components together. Expensive, but rave reviews.

Anyone know where this is? I think they were out in the Kootenays or something but google is failing me unless Covid shut them down for good.

Dunno about BC but in SLC there’s Daleboots, where basically they have a bunch of molds for various pieces in various sizes and they figure out which sizes to use for your feet. They work with fitters in a few places outside of SLC but afaik they’re all manufactured in SLC.

I have them and love them, but I wouldn’t have bothered if my local fitter (who’s generally considered quite good) hadn’t basically thrown up their hands and said “can’t make this work for you bc of your feet” to the point that they fully refunded my boots. So unless you have really weird feet, it’s probably not worth doing.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Kalman posted:

Dunno about BC but in SLC there’s Daleboots, where basically they have a bunch of molds for various pieces in various sizes and they figure out which sizes to use for your feet. They work with fitters in a few places outside of SLC but afaik they’re all manufactured in SLC.

I have them and love them, but I wouldn’t have bothered if my local fitter (who’s generally considered quite good) hadn’t basically thrown up their hands and said “can’t make this work for you bc of your feet” to the point that they fully refunded my boots. So unless you have really weird feet, it’s probably not worth doing.

I have really weird feet, very high arches and very narrow heels and I'm done messing around with production boots which cut off my toes and still leave me with heel lift. :argh:

I think the place I'm thinking of might have been All In, in Fernie, but their website is broken AF so I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

I remember that Mammoth in the pre-Ikon era had some super expensive season pass that let you use the ski school lanes

That's the interesting part. Snowbird already has this, called base camp and seven summits. You pay a bunch of money for a second yearly pass on top of your season pass and get to use the ski school lane.

What sets this apart is that this is allowing anybody to get the same benefit for a much smaller daily fee, so any Joe schmo can access what has usually cost thousands of dollars a year. Gonna be interesting in the lift lines this season.