Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm kinda glad that they're making her captain because they were going to make all the plots about her anyway and that works much better if she's captain, but I do wish they'd guided her there better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This discussion about the black boxes reminded me that they kept teasing that signal thing being a recurring musical element throughout the things they were doing for the first few episodes of the season, and then it turns out to just be a coincidence and there was no further meaning behind it. Thanks guys.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

"Computer:

Arrange data from the 3 black boxes in 3 columns,

Ship Name; Time of Last Recording; Spacial coordinates at that time

Triangulate the center location for these data points"

*Men swoon over Burnham, woman faint at her sight, Admirals immediately fumble over themselves reaching for pips to slam onto her uniform*

They explicitly point out in the show that you need at least 4 points for a 3D 'triangulation'

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

xerxus posted:

They explicitly point out in the show that you need at least 4 points for a 3D 'triangulation'

Even that they did in the most hamfisted way possible. Michael is all 'we have 3 boxes we can triangulate' which anyone who's done school-level Maths will know isn't true unless it's on a flat plane, but somehow the super genius scientist whose whole plan this was needed it spelling out to her by Tilly.

Re the trailer, yup, that sure looks like a season of Discovery. Gotta get those things, to stop the big bad thing!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In the far future of Star Trek trigonometry is lostek.

e: the other ham fisted thing about the last season of discovery was how the middle bit of the season had one scene per episode where staments, adira, and maybe someone else stood around the box in the engineering set and got their contractual 1 line and 30 seconds of screentime in while the show treads water on their plot and has nothing else to do.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 10, 2021

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Look, all the trigonometry teachers were all on the USS Dodecahedron heading to a conference about why all the classic aliens have pointy parts now when the Burn happened. The galaxy is lucky that the Emerald Chain knew a guy who knew what a triangle was or the everyone would have been doomed when Bill Cypher came back to start more trouble.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Epicurius posted:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but every state falls apart after enough time, and change isn't a unidirectional thing. If Star Trek has one message throughout the franchise, really, it's that humanity hasn't evolved. The people of the future aren't substantially different than people now on a basic level. They're not just naturally better or more altrustic. The values of the Federation exist because people choose to fight for them, and that's been a constant throughout Star Trek, whether it's Picard saying "No, Data has fundamental rights that are worth fighting for" or Sisko deciding Admiral Layton doesn't get to play on the fear of Changlings to launch a coup, or Archer trying to convince the Xindi that humanity and the Xindi can live in peace, or Kirk's quote about humanity in "A Taste of Armageddon' "“We're human beings with the blood of a million savage years on our hands, but we can stop it! We can admit that we're killers, but we're not going to kill today. That's all it takes… knowing that we're not going to kill today.”. It's not just humanity either....the reason that Vulcan and Romulans are so different is that Vulcans choose follow Surak's teachings about pacifism and mastery of your emotions and Romulans don't. One of the things that leads to the victory over the Dominion is that Damar realizes that Cardassia's legacy is poisoned by tyranny and oppression, and that the only way for Cardassia to change is if Cardassians will fight for a just society.

One of Star Trek's messages is that we can choose to be better, we can choose to be be good and moral, we can choose to reject xenophobia, hatred, greed, and so on, and build a better society. Or, we can choose not to.

What are you basing this on? Because it sure ain’t real life history.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

This discussion about the black boxes reminded me that they kept teasing that signal thing being a recurring musical element throughout the things they were doing for the first few episodes of the season, and then it turns out to just be a coincidence and there was no further meaning behind it. Thanks guys.

Well, if you go hard in the other direction, you end up with All Along the Watchtower, and I don't think anyone wants that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

At least All Along The Watchtower gave us an amazing moment before the letdown.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'd rather watch a show about real people trying to handle 'god did it' than a show about a bunch of one dimensional cutouts dealing with 'michael did it'.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

xerxus posted:

I know, I included the same mistake Saint Burnham did on purpose.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I dislike this, but more than that I dislike the fact that I will still hatewatch it no matter how bad I think it looks.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Martytoof posted:

I dislike this, but more than that I dislike the fact that I will still hatewatch it no matter how bad I think it looks.

For me it's just good enough not to hate. I will absolutely disappointmentwatch it, though

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Andromeda did the whole jumping far into the future plot much better.

Absolutely brutal.

What a damning indictment, to be able to point to an actual Star Trek series and accurately recognize that Andromeda somehow had a more coherent central plot and more consistent worldbuilding.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

At least All Along The Watchtower gave us an amazing moment before the letdown.

Which bit was that, out of curiosity? (I legit don't remember)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m not defending it because it’s still dumb as hell, but I thought the musical element was the Kelpian distress signal being distorted by the anomaly so much that it sounded almost melodic, and people over many generations had been picking it up and had no idea what the hell it was so it propagated culturally as a sort of galactic nursery rhyme.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which bit was that, out of curiosity? (I legit don't remember)

Well I was mainly talking about the initial introduction of the song as you recognise it from real life which is completely impossible and makes no sense and then they hit you with like four cliffhanger what the fucks to end the season while you're reeling from the impossible and tie all that confusion together.

It was also used to great effect later on in the Starbuck dad piano episode where they spend basically the whole thing putting together a song that ends up being the song but you don't realise it until that last moment when all the familiar sounds come together and you're just :tviv:

Even putting aside the often disliked resolution, it's just such a world of difference in the skill of how they used a song mystery and wove it in and took advantage of the way you process songs to build to recognition and manipulate the viewer, compared to how Discovery's little song mystery was done.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I think the All Along the Watchtower mystery in BSG was the writers blowing kisses to Bear McCreary (whose work on that show was phenomenal), whereas I cannot remember a single thing about Discovery's music.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Also the trial of Gaius Baltar was fantastic.

"you tried to kill me, and you missed! BUTTERFINGERS!"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fighting Trousers posted:

I think the All Along the Watchtower mystery in BSG was the writers blowing kisses to Bear McCreary (whose work on that show was phenomenal), whereas I cannot remember a single thing about Discovery's music.

Bear McCreary also worked on arrangements for Metalocalypse which just lol

I think most of the guitar on the soundtrack is in C tuning which is metal guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BigolJfoANw

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 10, 2021

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

CharlestheHammer posted:

What are you basing this on? Because it sure ain’t real life history.

Which isn't? That governments fall apart, or that change isn't unidirectional?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Star Trek and our childhoods were kind of the triumphalist moment of belief in Progress. People in the rich world had seen the last 200 years raise living standards to an unprecedented degree through the combined projects of state-building, fossil fuel exploitation, and modern chemistry (which increased crop yields something like 700%). After WWII it seemed like, to misquote Gramsci, the new world had finally defeated the old and come fully into being. The modernists really believed in the post-war utopian project.

They were aware of the dangers of mass media, but it seemed like that beast had been tamed. They did not realize that they were already close to the limits of planetary systems' ability to support human civilization. So in the 1960s, it seemed like if we could just get past atomic weapons the future would be free to expand forever.

In the 2020s now it seems obvious that the modernist project was a mistake and that the best possible future is an orderly decline in population and living standards, but that's at odds with the beliefs of Star Trek's 1960s and 1990s writers.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well, you’re depressing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Says the Dr. Who fan.

But seriously, a lot of decline in living standards is just eliminating the tremendously wasteful extravagance that has become normal for the average denizen of the rich world. Car-centric culture is very bad for our health, for our social lives, and for our children. Even ignoring pollution! People who live in walkable communities eating a plant-heavy diet will be happier and healthier even as they consume 1/3 the energy.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 10, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Going back to an older lower decks episode, Tendi says she can't do the pheramone thing. Does that make her trans, since I thought all female orions could do that? It'd be cool if that was a way for them to slip in her being trans into the show.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I took that as just her lying. It wouldn't be the first time Tendi has lied to try to fit in.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We aren't anywhere close to reaching an unsustainable population on earth.

Standards of living would need to be adjusted, but I don't even think "down" on balance/average, although obviously down for some

It's all politics and greed

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I just took it as them just wanting to not deal with the pheromone thing.

Tendi is still the least developed of the main cast. They gave her a backstory but she doesn't really have a character yet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eimi posted:

Going back to an older lower decks episode, Tendi says she can't do the pheramone thing. Does that make her trans, since I thought all female orions could do that? It'd be cool if that was a way for them to slip in her being trans into the show.

She does it later in the episode, she was lying

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Bloop posted:

We aren't anywhere close to reaching an unsustainable population on earth.

Standards of living would need to be adjusted, but I don't even think "down" on balance/average, although obviously down for some

It's all politics and greed

Easy to say, not easy to fix. You can say "oh yeah we could theoretically support more people if the rich world wasn't so wasteful and ruining the tropical climate" but good luck actually making it to that theoretical future as biocapacity declines around the world.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 10, 2021

Final Fantasy Football
Oct 3, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

I took that as just her lying. It wouldn't be the first time Tendi has lied to try to fit in.

I took less she’s lying and more along the lines of ‘I’m not that kind of girl’. Like the equivalent of someone asking their friend to flash her boobs to win a game of pool.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

MikeJF posted:

She does it later in the episode, she was lying

I thought that was just her yelling at them, since Orion is matriarchal and all that. The guys chasing them didn't have any problems shaking them off it was pheromones though.

Though suppose I'm also reading too much into it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Tendi doesn't have the pharamones in the same way she was never a pirate (she's lying on both counts).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Arglebargle III posted:

Easy to say, not easy to fix. You can say "oh yeah we could theoretically support more people if the rich world wasn't so wasteful and ruining the tropical climate" but good luck actually making it to that theoretical future as biocapacity declines around the world.

I mean we also aren’t really trying. In fact we are doing the opposite

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I'm kinda glad that they're making her captain because they were going to make all the plots about her anyway and that works much better if she's captain, but I do wish they'd guided her there better.

One thing I've noticed watching Enterprise is that Star Trek is a lot worse when there's one main character.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

“Captain, p- please stop crying”

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

For a certain value of easy, yeah of course

But this IS the Star Trek thread and false statements like that presented as clear facts are basically the opposite of the hopefulness that's at the core of (most; good) Trek.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Some Prodigy stuff:

https://twitter.com/StarTrekOnPPlus/status/1447255487750107136?s=20

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1447259122018230278?s=20

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It’s so beyond annoying to see “This video is not available in your location.”

Regional distribution rights are so FUBAR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Trekcore are usually really good at getting the videos.

https://twitter.com/trekcore/status/1447257788418347016