Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Thinking about it, there isn't a lot of disco stuff that I ever liked. Some of the Bee Gee's perhaps. The only stuff from the era I like would've been classified as funk.

Also wondering, does anyone know what this would be classified as? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcU7ZlnJFPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Tarkus posted:

Also wondering, does anyone know what this would be classified as? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcU7ZlnJFPE

Muzak

Most, if not all of those tracks are culled from the De Wolfe music library.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

First song is also a banger and would make a nice sample for a throwback hip hop song or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZLyx_Owqec

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

You Are A Elf posted:

Muzak

Most, if not all of those tracks are culled from the De Wolfe music library.

Ah, ok, makes sense.

Listening to this I can imagine walking through a mall in the 70's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFH1ryYTDB4

Edit: yeah, I unironically like that mr.lucky song

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
The Touring Is So Hard sentiment that so many bands sing and self-mythologize about isn't because Touring Is So Hard. It exists because the type of bands that tour are upper-middle class or people with financial support. The type of people raised with big clean n comfy beds, 3 square well prepared meals a day, clean laundry folded and handed to them, etc.

So of course those types have a very difficult time sleeping on futons and floors, eating cheap unhealthy meals, being put to task at 5 or 10 or 15 hour clips, rubbing elbows with strangers in small cramped areas, being on constant lookout for people trying to break into your stuff and stealing from you.

Touring Is So Hard is often just prissy, thin-skinned musicians having a very hard time stepping away from their privileged lives for two weeks.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sounds like you have some issues buddy

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

ProperCoochie posted:

The Touring Is So Hard sentiment that so many bands sing and self-mythologize about isn't because Touring Is So Hard. It exists because the type of bands that tour are upper-middle class or people with financial support. The type of people raised with big clean n comfy beds, 3 square well prepared meals a day, clean laundry folded and handed to them, etc.

So of course those types have a very difficult time sleeping on futons and floors, eating cheap unhealthy meals, being put to task at 5 or 10 or 15 hour clips, rubbing elbows with strangers in small cramped areas, being on constant lookout for people trying to break into your stuff and stealing from you.

Touring Is So Hard is often just prissy, thin-skinned musicians having a very hard time stepping away from their privileged lives for two weeks.

Ehhhh that could be some of it. But most “touring is hard” stories I’ve heard have to do with

A) Studio introverts who like making music but not exactly playing it live.

B) People who have legit families that they’re dragged away from for months at a time.

C) One person in the band who parties way too much and derails poo poo for everyone else.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Tarkus posted:

Listening to this I can imagine walking through a mall in the 70's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFH1ryYTDB4

Kmart still had Muzak playing in its stores in the ‘90s, although they were instrumental covers of contemporary music instead of original songs by then. Shortly thereafter, they dropped the Muzak and I would just hear a local radio station playing over the intercom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEd8l3EGfgA

Hearing this takes me back to buying an Icee and a huge slice of pizza at the K Cafe for $1.50 and getting pizza grease all over the controller of the Super Nintendo player kiosk in electronics :allears:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Phlegmish posted:

They had a few decent songs earlier in their career, I like Man In A Suitcase and Don't Stand So Close To Me

But like all bands that started out in the late seventies, they eventually lost their edge, it is one of the surest rules in music history

Very accurate take. Having refreshed my memory, the first album is pretty solid, the second album is about half good, and everything post ‘79 is horrible. As a postscript, I was astounded to find out Sting wrote I Hung My Head. Johnny Cash transformed it into something listenable, the Sting version is just a formless mass of noodly bullshit.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
I might have the most unpopular Radiohead opinion of all time - never heard of anyone else with this opinion, at least: they're mostly boring, but with a handful of pretty good songs.

I just finished listening to The Bends for the first time (one of the few albums of theirs I hadn't heard yet) and, once again, the opener made me think the album would be a lot better than it actually was...

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Izzhov posted:

I might have the most unpopular Radiohead opinion of all time - never heard of anyone else with this opinion, at least: they're mostly boring, but with a handful of pretty good songs.

I just finished listening to The Bends for the first time (one of the few albums of theirs I hadn't heard yet) and, once again, the opener made me think the album would be a lot better than it actually was...

The Bends is very mediocre. I might actually prefer Pablo Honey to it, because that’s actually fun.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the complaint is always that they're boring or not fun or you can't dance to them, nothing new really

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

hawowanlawow posted:

the complaint is always that they're boring or not fun or you can't dance to them, nothing new really

Right, but I may be the only person in the world who thinks that while also thinking they have a handful (or two - but no more) of good songs.

Izzhov fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 10, 2021

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

hawowanlawow posted:

The King of Limbs is both fun and danceable. Coincidentally, it is also their best album.

Also Kid A is boring, but Amnesiac kicks rear end.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The MUSE / Radiohead beef is good because it plainly shows that having fun makes your music more enjoyable. Radiohead is audio misery, MUSE is clearly at least one person being a screaming eccentric having a blast.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

muse is boring

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
Muse (at least after their first couple of albums) are super juvenile and derivative and basically like Queen without any charisma.

Also yes TKOL is the best Radiohead album, fight me. Bloom is a 10/10 opener.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

choosing to accept juvenile and derivative as praise

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Tarkus posted:

Thinking about it, there isn't a lot of disco stuff that I ever liked. Some of the Bee Gee's perhaps. The only stuff from the era I like would've been classified as funk.

How about some Donna Summer/Giorgio Moroder? It's definitely from 1977, but it's also obvious how it inspired all sorts of later synth/electronic music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S2n5Tbq_0s

And, yes, this is the 8 minutes long 12" single. It's clearly the best version. :colbert:

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Everything Giorgio Moroder does is incredible. However, that is a clear objective truth and thus not relevant to this thread.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Insane Clown Posse makes good and fun music

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I love me some icp but even I have to admit that they only have like 30 good songs....out of a catalog of 900+.

Anything they put out between 1994 and 1998 was pretty much gold though. I can't stand anything they've done in the last 20 years and I'm 100% sure it's because they stopped using Mike E Clark as a producer. What a stupid loving mistake.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I love me some icp but even I have to admit that they only have like 30 good songs....out of a catalog of 900+.

Anything they put out between 1994 and 1998 was pretty much gold though. I can't stand anything they've done in the last 20 years and I'm 100% sure it's because they stopped using Mike E Clark as a producer. What a stupid loving mistake.

Carnival of carnage to the amazing Jekel brothers.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Carnival of carnage to the amazing Jekel brothers.

I always thought CoC really sucked. Their rapping was extra lovely and the beats were wack because it wasn't produced by Mike Clark.

I do like the chorus interludes on Tha Juggla though.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
You haven't lived until you've been to an Insane Clown Posse concert.

Just make sure to put your cell phone in a ziplock bag because it will be destroyed from all the Faygo they splash around. This is no joke. I lost my phone this way.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Justin Godscock posted:

You haven't lived until you've been to an Insane Clown Posse concert.

Just make sure to put your cell phone in a ziplock bag because it will be destroyed from all the Faygo they splash around. This is no joke. I lost my phone this way.

I used to have two empty faygo plastic bottles and and a cardboard fagyo case. Going to an ICP concert at the Electric Factory is one of my favorite memories

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

These are real Police album titles:

Outlandos D'Amour
Reggatta De Blanc
Zenyatta Mondatta

lmao

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Peanut Butter posted:

Muse (at least after their first couple of albums) are super juvenile and derivative and basically like Queen without any charisma.
Yes this is the one I've been struggling to articulate for over a decade. Queen sans charisma. That's them alright.

Also my unpopular Radiohead take is that outside of "No Surprises" and "Fitter Happier" (the latter only when you're a young teen), "Ok Computer" is their second-worst album (the worst being Hail to the Thief). Karma Police and Paranoid Android are honestly insufferable, and the rest are still too close to The Bends in terms of being jangly UK rock but without the radio-friendly edge that made The Bends good tracks tolerable. Ok "Subterranean Homesick Alien" works but only just.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Muse is if a 14 year old kid’s political opinions became a band. At least the music was pretty great up until Black Holes and Revelations. Now they got nothing.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Computer viking posted:

How about some Donna Summer/Giorgio Moroder? It's definitely from 1977, but it's also obvious how it inspired all sorts of later synth/electronic music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S2n5Tbq_0s

And, yes, this is the 8 minutes long 12" single. It's clearly the best version. :colbert:

I Feel Love is one of the greatest songs ever. I remember being super blazed at the theater watching American Hustle and feeling so happy when it came on.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

HD DAD posted:

Muse is if a 14 year old kid’s political opinions became a band. At least the music was pretty great up until Black Holes and Revelations. Now they got nothing.

I discovered Muse unfortunately around the time of Black Holes and Revelations, and went back to enjoy most everything from their previous albums significantly more. And then The Resistance came out, and I was like, "these guys are parodying themselves," then I basically lost interest around about Drones. Tuned back in a bit later and they were aping the Synthwave trend. Ugh. How the mighty have fallen.

Because for real, a lot of the tunes on Origins and Absolution (and gently caress it, BH&R too) were legit loving incredible riffs

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ICP is mostly too embarrassing to listen to, but they do have a few good beats here and there...Homies comes to mind, and actually even the infamous Miracles has a decent beat.

loving magnets, how do they work?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Phlegmish posted:

ICP is mostly too embarrassing to listen to, but they do have a few good beats here and there...Homies comes to mind, and actually even the infamous Miracles has a decent beat.

loving magnets, how do they work?

The dopest ICP beat ever is Toy Box

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

ishikabibble posted:

disco Disco in 1979 Disco Disco in 1979 poo poo Disco Disco Disco discoDisco disco disco disco non-disco disco disco disco disco pretty disco disco pissed at it.

You must have grown up in a mall or something.

Disco lasted maybe 4-5 years. Spectator sports, which don't interest me at all, are completely inescapable, have endured for millennia, support fascist regimes etc. etc.

Disco is a wet fart out of a fruit fly compared to that amount of damage.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Twiztid's first album is loving hilarious

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkLuEVoRzhY

I've been thinking a lot about this and I've determined the guy rapping at 24 seconds, I believe, has the coolest voice I've ever heard in hip hop.

Yeah Nate Dogg, Tone Locc, Eazy E, those guys got incredibly dope voices that can make anything sound good. But I don't think any of those dudes top the one I linked. Unfortunately there's not a lot of stuff out there with him on them.

I'd be interested in what you would describe as cool or special about him. While competent, he sounds pretty average to me.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Izzhov posted:

They were 100% better as a singles band. It's a shame they gave up being Tommy James and the Shondelles for Millennials but they were Music 101 for a lot of people and opened a lot of minds to the possibility of more eclectic music so at least there's that?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I'd be interested in what you would describe as cool or special about him. While competent, he sounds pretty average to me.

Just his voice, the way it sounds.

Edit : there's an alternate version of the song with different lyrics and his verse is way better in this one. Starts at 20 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yo_xGH6c9c

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 10, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ProperCoochie posted:

wat

the main reason touring is hard is missing your loved ones, especially when people in your family are undergoing hardships but you cant drop everything in the middle of a tour to be with them.

also you seem to be doing a lot of weird projecting. bands sing about touring not because its "so hard" but also because its fun, and because poo poo happens on tours, and just in general because its a good source of experiences to write about

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Also any band that is successful long enough pretty much only has touring experience to write about, which is a third runner-up for "most overdone, insufferable concepts to write songs about."

The first two being: "It's so hard being famous" (2nd place) and "I get high and gently caress and am rich" (1st)