Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Is that thing they do with all ambulances (or similar emergency response/law enforcement vans) in movies/tv where they bang twice on the door after the close it a real thing? Can't the driver see that on their own somehow, do they really need the *bang bang* to know when to drive off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've heard it came from military ambulances which had big latches so you had to signal to the driver that the latch was closed and not just the door.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The laufmaschine (Dandy Horse) - no gears, no pedals, straight wooden or metal wheel:

You could bodge that together pretty easily from assorted crap in an apocalypse, I reckon.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

OwlFancier posted:

I was going to say how would you even tell, but tasmania actually looks much nicer than where I live.

Tasmania is probably one of the best places to be when the eschaton immanentizes.

Of course, we'll still go all Mad Max, but my leather clad dandy horse gang will be terrorizing folks in the lovely temperate rainforests and across verdant green hills rather than lovely desert.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I loosely remember reading the last bit in a series of proto-YA books about a post-apocalyptic world ravaged by hordes of mutant cyclists.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I loosely remember reading the last bit in a series of proto-YA books about a post-apocalyptic world ravaged by hordes of mutant cyclists.

???

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Jedit posted:

Back in the 1970s a gentleman who performed under the name "Mr Mangetout" did indeed eat an entire bicycle over the course of several months.

And then, full of ferrous metals, he lived up to his stage name and shat a magnet out.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Elissimpark posted:

Shut up, you look european.

Someone should make Mad Max, but this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bnAzaYTj9I

(yes, that is young Nicole Kidman)

They already made The Avengers, but that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There HAVE been multiple post-apoc movies where everyone went around on roller skates.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

theironjef posted:

And then, full of ferrous metals, he lived up to his stage name and shat a magnet out told a man, "get out!"

ftfy

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Midnight Mass:

Why didn't all the survivors just get on rowboats like the kids did after they sank all the other boats, and just wait things out until dawn? They didn't have to paddle 30 miles to the mainland, they just needed to wait till sunup?

Based on how things shook out, there would have been a revolt between the Monsignor and Bev anyway and they might not have needed to deal with the rec center. Nobody else had guns so they'd be pretty helpless in there if the non infected came back and burned down the building to finish them off.

How exactly did Paul manage to get all the way back to the island? He says "I lied and bribed my way back" but he's operating under an alias that doesn't match with a geriatric monsignor that traveled to Israel. He came with a group and it would have been very suspicious for him to never return. The same lie of "oh he's with me he's just sick no you can't see him" doesn't seem like it would work as well with people that knew the monsignor well and have never met the 'new guy'.

I feel like you could make a horror-comedy in itself of this nervous Catholic priest having to smuggle an Angel? Vampire? in a trunk from Israel all the way to Virginia.

When Paul got attacked his 'full conversion' took weeks? Months? Yet everyone else that got bit/drank vampire blood immediately had light vulnerability. Why did it kick in so much faster?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

theironjef posted:

And then, full of ferrous metals, he lived up to his stage name and shat a magnet out.

Actually, my crappy french has his name being translated as "Eat everything" or "Eat it all", which is pretty accurate for his bit.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ardent Communist posted:

Actually, my crappy french has his name being translated as "Eat everything" or "Eat it all", which is pretty accurate for his bit.

Oh I speak French. What I can't do is notice transposed g and n pairs.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Panfilo posted:

Midnight Mass
I think everyone else got killed on the spot either violently or by poison and resurrected as a vampire after their deaths; he was spared by the vampire so he could act as his "ghoul" and not be affected by the sun while he was smuggling him out of Israel. I guess he died by "vampire blood toxicity" after a while.

And yeah travelling without papers in a post 9/11 world may be a bit of an issue.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"People should make entertainment based on original ideas" is a message of Free Guy. Then the movie not only shows Captain America's shield, Hulk's fist and a lightsaber (complete with music from Star Wars) in one scene but throws in a cameo from Chris Evans.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Alhazred posted:

"People should make entertainment based on original ideas" is a message of Free Guy. Then the movie not only shows Captain America's shield, Hulk's fist and a lightsaber (complete with music from Star Wars) in one scene but throws in a cameo from Chris Evans.
It's rationally irritated to respond "yeah and this was covered several pages ago" right?

The scene also has the Avengers theme as if the scene is as notable as that bit near the end of Endgame.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Alhazred posted:

To help me decide if I need to watch this movie: is it in any way similar in tone to Ready Player One where it gets up its own rear end about video games and "nerd culture" references?

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

Alhazred posted:

I just assumed that was some sort of fortnite reference since they've had thanos and a bunch of other stuff in that game?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FFT posted:

It's rationally irritated to respond "yeah and this was covered several pages ago" right?

I guess I'm sorry I didn't notice a post posted two months ago?

yeah I eat rear end posted:

To help me decide if I need to watch this movie: is it in any way similar in tone to Ready Player One where it gets up its own rear end about video games and "nerd culture" references?

Who knows? It's a confused mess of a movie. One of the themes, for example, is "maybe murder simulations are bad?" and then it shows the protagonists kill characters in cool ways.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alhazred posted:

I guess I'm sorry I didn't notice a post posted two months ago?

Who knows? It's a confused mess of a movie. One of the themes, for example, is "maybe murder simulations are bad?" and then it shows the protagonists kill characters in cool ways.

Oh so it’s Far Cry but a movie.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Free Guy is the exact movie the trailers showed almost in full. The only thing that I was curious about was how the romance would end. Wouldn't pay $10 for it but if you find it on a streaming service and have nothing else to watch, it'll do.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The person who wrote it seems to only know what videogames are like based on the ads mobile games get. The only references are the terrible Disney promotion stuff.

Its also feels like somewhat of a Lego movie rip-off but way worse.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I loved it for what is was, which is a Ryan Reynolds movie with taika waititi meets saints row.

It was fun. Wasn't an Oscar winning must see life changing movie, but it was enjoyable. Oddly good with the whole technical aspects of how computers work, for some parts. Not so much in others.

Watched VHS94 and... I mean, it was kinda good to aggressively mediocre, but the overall story that takes place during the anthology is just pointless and weird. In the past movies it's at least been somewhat paranormal or spooky or at the very least coherent, this one is like they just threw random poo poo at the wall to see what would stick.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Its not a nostalgia orgy like RPO but it definitely does have its fair share of references. There's a bunch of cameos by famous twitch streamers, they use a portal gun, etc. Its a movie about video games so yeah, its up its rear end a bit but its fun if you like Ryan Reynolds whole thing

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

That Italian Guy posted:

I think everyone else got killed on the spot either violently or by poison and resurrected as a vampire after their deaths; he was spared by the vampire so he could act as his "ghoul" and not be affected by the sun while he was smuggling him out of Israel. I guess he died by "vampire blood toxicity" after a while.

And yeah travelling without papers in a post 9/11 world may be a bit of an issue.

I think the Monsignor "died" by drinking poison since he had the same foaming at the mouth reaction the others had later. Maybe he didn't really consider it suicide since he knew he'd come back to life.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The person who wrote it seems to only know what videogames are like based on the ads mobile games get. The only references are the terrible Disney promotion stuff.

How does this still happen?? How does any creative person younger than 90 loving years old not have at least a passing familiarity with videogames in TWO THOUSAND TWENTY ONE??

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

How does this still happen?? How does any creative person younger than 90 loving years old not have at least a passing familiarity with videogames in TWO THOUSAND TWENTY ONE??

Didn't some movie execs in the 90's want to do a Harriet Tubman movie and have Julia Roberts play her?

Out of touch seems the norm.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Panfilo posted:

I think the Monsignor "died" by drinking poison since he had the same foaming at the mouth reaction the others had later. Maybe he didn't really consider it suicide since he knew he'd come back to life.
I think the same but don’t think he knew he was drinking it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

SLOSifl posted:

I think the same but don’t think he knew he was drinking it.
It looked like Bev had more than dog blood on her hands, but it doesn't really get resolved too much? She has no "oh poo poo" moment when the Monsignor comes back to life - aside from the religious one - that you would expect from someone having their victing spring back to life. That said it's heavily foreshadowed with the shots of her holding the poison, the whole embezzling plot and the fact that she is shown as cooking for the Monsignor. It feels like some kind of misdirection.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

VROOM VROOM posted:

Most bikes are too finicky to maintain during the apocalypse, so fixies would rule the streets. Bleak poo poo.

The true apocalypse.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Squid Game: this could have easily just been a movie. Cut out everything between the first and last games and we wouldn't miss much.

also the board looks nothing like a squid, And more importantly, the rules of the game aren't even followed in the last game except for the first 5 seconds. It just ends up being a knife fight. The show had an interesting premise but blew its entire load on the first episode. I give it a 4/10

A few seconds after I said that they did the classic "final stab but actually not" cliche. 2/10

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Oct 11, 2021

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I think Ryan Reynolds and Taika Waititi could adapt the phone book into comedy gold, but Free Guy's plot sounds like every single sprite comic from 2002

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I do not understand the appeal of Ryan Reynolds.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
First episode of Squid Game, before anything gets going: Seong is picked up in a van with sleeping passengers. When he gets in, the van sprays him with sleeping gas. According to some Cracked article I read years ago, sleeping gas isn't really a thing, as very small vagaries would mean the difference between getting slightly buzzed and getting dead, but I can usually forgive it for the sake of expedience. What irritates me is that everyone before the last guy would be getting gassed multiple times, with someone in there getting quintuple-gassed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

I think Ryan Reynolds and Taika Waititi could adapt the phone book into comedy gold, but Free Guy's plot sounds like every single sprite comic from 2002

Ryan Reynolds and Taika Waiti had nothing to do with the writing of the movie. And boy does it show. Waiti especially is completely wasted in the movie.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Crowetron posted:

I understand but despise it.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Crowetron posted:

He has one single character he plays and it gets old really loving fast.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
He's still doing the exact same character he played on Two Guys A Girl and a Pizza Place.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ego-bot posted:

He has one single character he plays and it gets old really loving fast.

The appeal of Deadpool is primarily that you can’t see his face most of the time, and there’s swearing and bloodshed to distract your attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like Ryan Reynolds he seems like a good guy and I laugh at his jokes.