Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I mostly miss the Kangaroos. Crabs not so much, the shield ones were more annoying than fun.

But maybe they tried it and felt that the high jumping didn't work in 3D or something idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
The game's executable still has some small amount of code for kangaroo and wyvern Noise, for what it's worth.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Another possible cause could be that the battle and field sections are almost completely separated. As in, they could be different games. It doesn’t actually do a save as you exit the field then a load as the battle starts, but it’s surprisingly close.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Drakes being missing wasn't so bad, considering they fill a similar role to the Rexes we got instead.

I'd have loved to see moles back, though.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Who I first thought was Swallow can't be Swallow, so speculation time.
Option MT for Maximum Troll: they're Shiba. Chances: very low, and as far as I can tell Rindo and Fret are just two dudes, not the Chosen Ones like Neku*

Option 2: Shokie. It would explain A LOT. Chances: I'm feeling good about this one.

*sidenote: I think I fully appreciate why people were freaking out in the first game about Neku being able to use all the pins at once, after being given a normal party who can use only one pin per person**.
If this is how normal people have to fight I can retroactively imagine the general :psyduck: when Neku bust out his 6-pin deck with multiple overlapping buttons gestures day 1.

**that loving ability is taunting me since day 2 :argh:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I kinda got the impression from what Sho said early on that because of whatever reason anyone could use any pin but only one in the new Game, compared to before where you could use however many you had the aptitude, which is All Of Them for Neku and one type for Shiki/Beat, but it’s six for gameplay purposes.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
so I'm now at day 7 of week 1 and here's my thoughts:

It's cool. I love the style and the story and characters are good. I like the side quests and plot. the gameplay is just ok. the battles are pretty repetitive, and the pins seem to be less varied than in 1. what I mean by that is that it seems like you'll have one long range, one melee, and 2 charged. the next pins you get are basically straight upgrades, so there's not the same choice. like why would I ever choose a less powerful one? maybe this will change later on. another thing that bothers me a bit is the time travel. so far it seems to just be padding. like it hasnt really given me any insight or anything, just made days last longer.

overall I'm enjoying it a lot. I really like the social network concept. Kinda crazy to play a sequel this much later.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:catstare:

The combo attacks at 300% groove are absolutely fair and balanced (gameplay spoilers) the whole team going freaking Joshua but invulnerable while the groove lasts.

Last Celebration posted:

I kinda got the impression from what Sho said early on that because of whatever reason anyone could use any pin but only one in the new Game, compared to before where you could use however many you had the aptitude, which is All Of Them for Neku and one type for Shiki/Beat, but it’s six for gameplay purposes.

Equipment restrictions are a massive pain so I can pretend pin selection is still limited for normal players and we don't see it for the sake of gameplay. (For the same reason of course everyone has zero problem dressing up in whatever clown suit boosts the relevant stats more or crossdressing)
Then again as you said, the new Game has a different ruleset and maybe they found a way to let every player equip any pin.

But nevertheless Rindo still can't do the absolute combat BS that Neku pulled from battle 1. All the juggling and hammering the noise with well timed attacks the new team does during gameplay? Neku could pull it solo*.
*His teammate was on the other screen, you know what I mean.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Killer Remix also heals you increases the drop rate which is very important when fighting certain bosses. But at higher difficulties it isn’t really that strong, you can only take off maybe 1/3-1/2 of the strongest T-Rex’s hp bar. Great to use as a finisher.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I missed the part where the killer remix heals at first and was loading up on healing pins, sacrificing attacks, towards the end. Realizing it also heals changed everything

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Mirello posted:

so I'm now at day 7 of week 1 and here's my thoughts:

It's cool. I love the style and the story and characters are good. I like the side quests and plot. the gameplay is just ok. the battles are pretty repetitive, and the pins seem to be less varied than in 1. what I mean by that is that it seems like you'll have one long range, one melee, and 2 charged. the next pins you get are basically straight upgrades, so there's not the same choice. like why would I ever choose a less powerful one? maybe this will change later on. another thing that bothers me a bit is the time travel. so far it seems to just be padding. like it hasnt really given me any insight or anything, just made days last longer.

overall I'm enjoying it a lot. I really like the social network concept. Kinda crazy to play a sequel this much later.

There are some more interesting pin options than what week 1 gives you, but you still get a lot of straight upgrade pins. Part of this, I think, is because there's no light puck in this game. Since your damage was always getting multiplied in the first game, a lot of early game pins stayed viable throughout. You don't get that in NEO.

The only reason to ever try to lower your damage output is trying to build up your multiplier during the Scramble Slams, which isn't strictly necessary to hit the top scores.

Edit:

Killingyouguy! posted:

I missed the part where the killer remix heals at first and was loading up on healing pins, sacrificing attacks, towards the end. Realizing it also heals changed everything

Yeah, if you're wiping encounters with it it skips the healing animation (even though it still heals you), so it can be easy to miss.

Kantesu fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 8, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Omobono posted:

:catstare:

The combo attacks at 300% groove are absolutely fair and balanced (gameplay spoilers) the whole team going freaking Joshua but invulnerable while the groove lasts.

This was pretty much my reaction, I just assumed we peaked at 200% Groove but no, you get get an insanely brutal nuke (although like someone else said the damage seems nerfed on Ultimate) that even fully heals you. I remember thinking “oh, I have five people I guess maybe I should equip a healing pin now” and yeah nope.

And just as a reminder, a lot of the social links open up skills that sometimes buff the Groove you get, so it’s not uncommon to see like +60% if you hit the orange part of the ring. Because the game just needs to be disrespected.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Am i right in thinking that the bonus chapter is just a sort of boss rush mode, just without all the bosses?

Is there a way to fight the bosses again without having to play through whole chapters? Getting the 4 pins from them would be a ballache if there wasn't.

Also, I'm guessing if I'm going for 100% I should pretty much just focus on maxing out the stats first? Do the stats really change things that much or is it mainly down to the pins?

I got style up to max on everyone fairly quickly until the character switch option opened up in the bonus chapter. Kind of a dickish thing to do if you wanted all character stats max given how the restaurants work.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Kin posted:

Is there a way to fight the bosses again without having to play through whole chapters? Getting the 4 pins from them would be a ballache if there wasn't.

There's a social media node that unlocks the ability to find Blue Noise symbols when scanning; these symbols are different depending on what day you're playing, and allow you to fight the boss of that day without going through all the story. However, not every day has a Blue Noise, and some days that have multiple bosses will only have a Blue Noise for one of them.

Alternatively, in Another Day, talking to Coco will let you go through an ACTUAL boss rush- all the bosses from the main story, fought back to back. This also counts as a chain between them all, which will MASSIVELY boost your chances of getting their drops.

This only leaves the Alpha fights, which, unfortunately, do not have an easy way to grind them. Your best bet is saving before the fight itself, doing the fight, and then reloading your save if you don't get the drop.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ah OK thanks for the pointers.

Also, what's the most efficient food to boost the stats?

I've found a guide that lists all food vs calorie requirements and this was handy for maxing out style, however the most efficient item to boost atk is a coffee which only boosts atk and at about a maximum of 11 points or so for each full meter.

Even with all the turbo food clothing I have it still takes a chain of about 5 to empty the meter so doing all of that for just 10 points on atk and nothing else doesn't feel that efficient.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Kin posted:

Ah OK thanks for the pointers.

Also, what's the most efficient food to boost the stats?

I've found a guide that lists all food vs calorie requirements and this was handy for maxing out style, however the most efficient item to boost atk is a coffee which only boosts atk and at about a maximum of 11 points or so for each full meter.

Even with all the turbo food clothing I have it still takes a chain of about 5 to empty the meter so doing all of that for just 10 points on atk and nothing else doesn't feel that efficient.

The guide is right, the drinks from the Hachiko Café are the most efficient you'll get, with regards to stat per calories.

If you don't want to order the same food eleven times per gauge, then the spicy miso ramen at Suzu Slurps over in Dogenzaka will do just fine.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Literally the best way to make your group of teens stronger is to have them pick fights in the Scramble Crossing then nip into Starbucks and drink espresso until they’re totally wired.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

hyphz posted:

Literally the best way to make your group of teens stronger is to have them pick fights in the Scramble Crossing then nip into Starbucks and drink espresso until they’re totally wired.

And the best way to make them stylish is to have them huff canned air.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Rea posted:

The guide is right, the drinks from the Hachiko Café are the most efficient you'll get, with regards to stat per calories.

If you don't want to order the same food eleven times per gauge, then the spicy miso ramen at Suzu Slurps over in Dogenzaka will do just fine.

Brutal, even on the earliest chapters it seems to take about 5 minutes to get through a chain of six and buy all the coffee, etc.

My team's at about 300 for atk so to it'll take an hour and a half of grinding to get those 200 stats. My def is only about 150 so there's another 2 hours.

The main reason it's taking that long is because of all the loading which goes back to my earlier post about the quality of the game. For something with so few assets and complexity, just why is there so much loading for everything?

Stylistic choice only goes so far.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
dude just use cheat engine. I have a cheat that makes hunger 0. even skipping all that grinding I still feel like (just in the story) I'm battling about 4x as much as I want to.

Just started week 3. this game just feels massively padded. tons of mandatory fights everywhere, but the fights are really samey. I also dont really get pins. their power ratings dont seem to matter that much. the shooting ones are generally really week, and the bomb ones are really strong. in terms of dps, it seems like the bomb ones and the dash ones are way way stronger than the other ones. their cool downs arent much longer either. maybe I'm just dumb.

still digging the story. favorite moment so far is when you get the new teammate week 2. thought that was really well done. overall good, just tedious imo.

Mirello fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 10, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

From what I see, bombs have really good burst (and thus interruption by damage) but actually lowish dps, while the charge-up is also horrible for dodging. Don't get me wrong, I'm always rocking one or two because they're also AoE but they have noticeable drawbacks that need to be played around.

Shooting pins are the safe option and they can easily trigger and consume beatdrop combos. Their beatdrop trigger tend to be simply the finisher on non-elemental ones while elemental finishers have a massive chance of triggering their status (and thus beatdrop).

Melee pins are probably the best DPS but well, melee. In addition if you don't have a good handle on when hit stun immunity kicks in plenty of noise have hard punishes against melee.

I suck at dash pins so no thoughts there.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
2 main uses of dash pins (that I've found):

- Picking up Beat Drops (so you only use a bit of meter at a time)
- Using Black Hole or similar to hold the enemy in place so you can ram them continuously (not recommended for the ones that need knockback to initiate a Beat Drop)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Mirello posted:

dude just use cheat engine. I have a cheat that makes hunger 0. even skipping all that grinding I still feel like (just in the story) I'm battling about 4x as much as I want to.

Just started week 3. this game just feels massively padded. tons of mandatory fights everywhere, but the fights are really samey. I also dont really get pins. their power ratings dont seem to matter that much. the shooting ones are generally really week, and the bomb ones are really strong. in terms of dps, it seems like the bomb ones and the dash ones are way way stronger than the other ones. their cool downs arent much longer either. maybe I'm just dumb.

still digging the story. favorite moment so far is when you get the new teammate week 2. thought that was really well done. overall good, just tedious imo.

You know the game isn't a PC exclusive right?

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kin posted:

You know the game isn't a PC exclusive right?

yeah I realized after I posted. I was thinking that most people playing it now waited for it to be ported. my bad. yeah without that cheat leveling up stats would've been extremely annoying and tedious.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Me: "Oh come on do if you want me to take those plot encounters seriously do a 5-chain at least, this poo poo is easy"
Game: "Fine, have a 2-chain boss battle"
Me, five tries later: "Awesome, keep it up"

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

For pins that require a specific character to evolve:

If you had them on the wrong character when you got it to max level, can you put them on the right character and after the next fight they'll evolve? Or do you have to get a fresh copy of the pin and start again with the right character?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kin posted:

For pins that require a specific character to evolve:

If you had them on the wrong character when you got it to max level, can you put them on the right character and after the next fight they'll evolve? Or do you have to get a fresh copy of the pin and start again with the right character?

Nope, it unfortunately has to be a fresh pin. There’s a social link you can get that shows you which pins evolve with which character but I forget how you get it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It's on W3D6; the last dive of the main game

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The latter sadly, make sure you have a spare copy or six. Or just wait till you’re 85% through the main story for the social network link that just shows them. I’d say just to use a guide but tbh until you can unlock the feature it’s a chance to stumble on spoilers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lotus Aura posted:

It's on W3D6; the last dive of the main game

Is it a side quest or something you have to do as part of the plot? If the former, who is it and where do you find them?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s a side quest but it works the same as all the other ones where if you hit of up the objectives menu the side quest areas are listed out too. Iirc it’s by 104 though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It's outside Tower Records, in the area with garagara and Vegelovers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lotus Aura posted:

It's outside Tower Records, in the area with garagara and Vegelovers.

Thanks. Side quests still count as complete if you go back via the chapter select, do them, and then bail out before you finish the day right?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Larryb posted:

Nope, it unfortunately has to be a fresh pin. There’s a social link you can get that shows you which pins evolve with which character but I forget how you get it.

Yeah, I've completed the social network, though that's a frustrating to hear.

Hell, i don't even know if there's a way to see which pins you've got that haven't evolved into another one you've got. Unless i missed it, you can't even sort your pins by pin#.

Talk about a huge pile of clunky bullshit that's just killed my motivation to do any more endgame stuff.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You can see your pin collection in the menu where all of your collectables are listed.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

YggiDee posted:

You can see your pin collection in the menu where all of your collectables are listed.

Yes, but just exactly how does that help you see which pins you've got are failed evolutions?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Once you've got that skill when you look at a pin it will show if it can evolve further and who it needs to be on to mutate. It will show this for maxed out pins as well even though you won't be able to mutate them but it will at least tell you what pins you need to grab copies of.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ugh, whoever designed that final boss needs to take a long walk off a short pier. It was not difficult, it was freaking unreadable. A lot of fights really would have benefited from fixed cameras.

Time to revisit everything. What's the best way to do scrambles, drop down to easy/normal and chain 1 scramble noise at a time with 14 to 19 normal symbols?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Keep the difficulty high so you can squeeze more points out of each enemy, but chaining one scramble noise into a shitwhack of regular ones does seem to be the best choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I mean, early days I should go ultimate because the noise would drop like flies otherwise and I've got a pin that can build 150% grove off a single good combo so healing shouldn't be a problem outside of one shots. loving sharks
I'll do some testing while farming food I think; does jinxed metabo affect everyone's attack or only who has it equipped?

Relatedly, would another day unlock (implied story spoilers) a new old party member?