Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ok for real whos your team
This poll is closed.
The Green Bay Packers 81 35.53%
The Chicago Bears 52 22.81%
The Minnesota Vikings 42 18.42%
The Detroit Lions 53 23.25%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

BGrifter posted:

Oh my god that game. I think I need a break from football for a few minutes.

I don’t smoke, but I feel like I need a smoke too. Like the jittery hands can barely hold the lighter kind of smoke, not the post sex kind.

The NFL gods hate Minnesota with a passion but they hate Detroit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

surf rock posted:

Now that the Packers got whatever the gently caress that was out of their system...

HOW ON EARTH DID THE LIONS LOSE? Last I checked they went up with virtually no time left on the clock

They decided to do their best impression of the Vikings defense, it a was pretty good one too

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Darth Brooks posted:

The NFL gods hate Minnesota with a passion but they hate Detroit more.

I was talking about Packers/Bengals, but I’m with god on that one.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

This division is so stupid and I'm so glad I'm a fan of a team in it.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

NFC North 2021: Who the gently caress knows anymore

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CharlestheHammer posted:

Been so long since you seen a good team you can’t recognize one

That's true, I pretty much only watch NFC North games.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
LaFleur called a poo poo game given the Mason circumstances, you absolutely go for it on 4th and inches there without question

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Hi sorry to barge in here but how did the Lions lose.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Packers bay be, ultimate sniper Crosby for the winner again!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Hmm the bears look extremely bad again

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
imagine being a Lions coach and having feelings. gonna be a hard road

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1447297701155155969

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hi sorry to barge in here but how did the Lions lose.

Lions.txt

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Good Will Hrunting posted:

LaFleur called a poo poo game given the Mason circumstances, you absolutely go for it on 4th and inches there without question

They would have gotten the first down and lost 6 yards on the next 3 runs. At least time would have gone down.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

This division is so stupid and I'm so glad I'm a fan of a team in it.

Same

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Styles Bitchley posted:

imagine being a Lions coach and having feelings. gonna be a hard road

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1447297701155155969

I really like Dan Campbell and I hate that this job is going to break him

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

brugroffil posted:

Hmm the bears look extremely bad again

And yet, the Bears are winning 7-3. Funny, huh?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Ahahaha

https://twitter.com/ByRyanWood/status/1447303506566819840?t=hjM5-GZ97fZ1zRl4yqttpg&s=19

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

jng2058 posted:

And yet, the Bears are winning 7-3. Funny, huh?

The raiders are not used to it being so easy and are getting too many penalties for trying to destroy tackling dummies

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

HootTheOwl posted:

The raiders are not used to it being so easy and are getting too many penalties for trying to destroy tackling dummies

I guess it doesn't matter how bad you play if your opponent plays worse. :shrug:

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

MJeff posted:

That's true, I pretty much only watch NFC North games.

This is very concerning health-wise

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Fire Zimmer

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

surf rock posted:

I really like Dan Campbell and I hate that this job is going to break him

I feel like he should get CotY consideration if he can win even 3 games with this turd of a roster

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
There's both good and bad to be taken out of this game.

On the defense, they put up an extremely impressive effort considering the massive, gaping holes and considerable lack of talent. While the Vikings were able to run all over them, they still managed to hold Minnesota to only 6 points in the second half and a single touchdown all game. They kept the Lions in the game, and managed to come up with a pair of extremely clutch turnovers right when Detroit needed them most. Right up until the end of the game, they arguably did everything they needed to do—and then, of course, they collapsed completely.

On offense, things were a lot worse. Detroit was able to rush the ball fairly effectively (Both Williams and Swift managed over 4 yards per carry), but the passing attack was, once again, pretty bad. Goff proved once again that he is not a long-term answer for Detroit with one of the single worst interceptions I have ever seen, lost a fumble, and nearly got picked off again with a horrifically bad throw into double coverage. He did have a handful of nice passes and managed to engineer the late touchdown drive, but ultimately the offense just could not take advantage of the opportunities that the defense gave to them until the very end of the game—and by that point it was simply too late.

For the coaching decisions, I'm mostly fine with them. Campbell is probably going to get a lot of pushback for not going for it on 4th and 4, but I think the decision was justifiable, given how poorly the offense was playing and how well the defense was playing in the half up to that point. That it ended up being Fox's first touchback of the year was, simply, bad luck. Would I have preferred to go for it? ... Probably, but given how badly the offense has completely flubbed 4th and short situations this season, I understand Campbell not trusting them (Goff) to get 4 yards in that situation.

Only rushing 3 at the end was some weak rear end poo poo though, same thing that cost us the Ravens game. Lions really need to stop doing that.

So ultimately it's a disappointing loss, but that's about par for the course this season. That the Lions managed to hang with the Vikings and take the lead late is encouraging, but they really, really need to do a better job actually closing out games.

Well, one step closer to the 1st overall next year I guess.

e: oh jeez Dan :smith:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 10, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
also christ almighty can we go ONE game without a starter suffering a major injury?

https://twitter.com/kmeinke/status/1447297900246183938?s=20

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Kicking on 4th & 4 was a horrible, horrible decision.

https://twitter.com/surrender_index/status/1447279919420030987?s=20

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/E_Woodyard/status/1447307068810031106

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Oh gently caress, Fields...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SirPablo posted:

Putting the Surrender Index aside for a moment: Would you trust Goff to get 4 yards?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Putting the Surrender Index aside for a moment: Would you trust Goff to get 4 yards?

I wouldn’t trust that goofy bastard to change a flat tire without the tire rolling into the road and causing a 10 car pileup.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SirPablo posted:

*ahem

Jared Goof

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Campbell has already said that the offense is so bad, Goff, that he's going to dial back the 4th down aggression.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I mean he's the QB. If you want to win the game he needs to get yards at some point.

That punt netted them like 30 yards after the delay of game penalty. It was stupid.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Gonz posted:

I wouldn’t trust that goofy bastard to change a flat tire without the tire rolling into the road and causing a 10 car pileup.

Now I can't stop thinking about Jared Goff as Mr. Bean who accidentally became a starting QB in the NFL.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Apples McGrind posted:

0-17 watch is on

It would be a nice bit of poetry for the Lions to lose every game the year before drafting Stafford and the year after he left

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That punt and going prevent to let the Vikings back in really shows Campbell’s a bit lost right now

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Lions should have won that. Vikings were 10 point favorites but they play to win every game by 1-4 points and that's it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SirPablo posted:

I mean he's the QB. If you want to win the game he needs to get yards at some point.

That punt netted them like 30 yards after the delay of game penalty. It was stupid.

The ball took a bad bounce and ended up being Jack Fox's first touchback of the season. If it stays in-bounds, the Vikings are backed up around their 5 yard line and their last four possessions had ended in 3 punts and an interception.

And yeah, Goff should have been getting yards, instead of throwing the ball directly at Vikings defenders, but you call plays with the QB you have, not the QB you want. And I sure as hell don't trust the QB we have to make a game-critical 4th down conversion in that position.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/POD_Payton/status/1447312557438611459

That's a yiker.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
edit: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

:catstare:

Is Goff a bigger failure than Wentz?