Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Whomever designed most of these races needs to be thrown in a dumpster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Working my way into the main island and man, there are a lot of systems and things to do in this game. Not a bad thing! So far all the characters I've interacted with seem a step up from previous Far Cry games, where characters were either totally forgettable or downright obnoxious. The game overall feels like a definite upgrade from FC5, having a lot of fun. I think my only complaint so far is fall damage seems really extreme. There's probably a hat or something somewhere that mitigates it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

AcidCat posted:

Working my way into the main island and man, there are a lot of systems and things to do in this game. Not a bad thing! So far all the characters I've interacted with seem a step up from previous Far Cry games, where characters were either totally forgettable or downright obnoxious. The game overall feels like a definite upgrade from FC5, having a lot of fun. I think my only complaint so far is fall damage seems really extreme. There's probably a hat somewhere or something that mitigates it.

I agree about the fall damage, though it does make me laugh when you heal yourself after taking fall damage by re-setting your inexplicably broken ring finger.

Wasn't there some kind of crouch when you land to roll out mechanic in one of the previous far cry's or am I thinking of Dying Light?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I am about 12~ hours in and at this point I have no idea how all the reviews got so caught up in all the ammo stuff.

Unless you have a very specific goal in mind, make all rounds armour piercing ones, period. They have literally no downside, and have the upside of chewing up armoured people. Its not like "soft" targets dont get killed in a few bullets anyways. All the other ammo types give up something for their benefit, so if you just wanna play "normal" just use AP for everything.

Have had exactly zero issue since I figured that out. For vehicles you can use a dedicated weapon with explosive rounds/get dynamite upgrade from your backpack, and all the resolver weapons are pretty insane and can beat up vehicles pretty easy as well.

Also the 1887 sawed off starter shotgun is really good and im still using it religiously. You can tell a shooter is good if they have a good shotgun.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Evil Canadian posted:

Unless you have a very specific goal in mind, make all rounds armour piercing ones, period. They have literally no downside, and have the upside of chewing up armoured people. Its not like "soft" targets dont get killed in a few bullets anyways. All the other ammo types give up something for their benefit, so if you just wanna play "normal" just use AP for everything.

Yeah I am headshotting even "soft" targets just fine with ap rounds, really not much of an issue.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's all still just cartoonish caricatures though, both for the dictatorship and the rebels. I don't really mind that, except it's super jarring when Ubisoft is trying to tell such a serious story with these cartoonish elements as a backdrop.

They should either drop the cartoonish depictions of LatAm guerrillas and go full grit, or go full Just Cause instead and drop any pretenses about this being a serious story (which is what I think they should do)

yeah, i can agree with that. then again the real cuban revolutionaries were all giant bookish nerds and weirdos(i mean that in an endearing way) but yeah i get it.

AcidCat posted:

Working my way into the main island and man, there are a lot of systems and things to do in this game. Not a bad thing! So far all the characters I've interacted with seem a step up from previous Far Cry games, where characters were either totally forgettable or downright obnoxious. The game overall feels like a definite upgrade from FC5, having a lot of fun. I think my only complaint so far is fall damage seems really extreme. There's probably a hat or something somewhere that mitigates it.

yeah its weirdly more grounded then the other games. like you have the weirdos and poo poo but most of them are at least somewhat realistically hosed up and dani can have actual conversations with them.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

AcidCat posted:

Yeah I am headshotting even "soft" targets just fine with ap rounds, really not much of an issue.

it's mostly fine but you do occasionally run into officers or whatever that take half a clip to the face to go down which is annoying when it screws up your stealth run

overall the enemies are definitely a bit spongier which i find annoying because it means i actually have to aim now and i used to enjoy blind firing ak's and throwing shovels at people and that playstyle feels a lot less viable now

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Helicopters are basically invincible unless you use the blast rounds, it seems. I put three full reserves of AR AP ammo into one and it was at half health still

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

it's mostly fine but you do occasionally run into officers or whatever that take half a clip to the face to go down which is annoying when it screws up your stealth run

Using a 45/70 rifle silenced with AP rounds I am now like level 9 or something and I am yet to find a single non-animal that I wasn't able to take out with a single silenced round to the head. Wear an item of clothing that refunds headshots and the tiny 4-round magazine won't make a difference. Keep a shotgun or machine gun or something in a secondary slot for panic mode if you gently caress up.

The sniper rifles are poo poo, though, and not really worth using unless you're really far away and can chance it not killing them.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

overall the enemies are definitely a bit spongier which i find annoying because it means i actually have to aim now and i used to enjoy blind firing ak's and throwing shovels at people and that playstyle feels a lot less viable now

Putting the improved body shot damage mod on my bullet hose guns helps with the spongier enemies

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

shortspecialbus posted:

The sniper rifles are poo poo, though, and not really worth using unless you're really far away and can chance it not killing them.

So far the two dedicated sniper rifles I've found had absurdly slow projectile velocity and drop making them all but useless. I'm still using the basic MS16 rifle with ACOG for sniping and it's working fine for now.

There should also be a toggle to Hide Supremo like you can hide your head armor.

AcidCat fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 10, 2021

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

AcidCat posted:

Try cockfighting, it's pretty great it's a parody of games like street fight/ mortal Kombat, including a knock off fatal blow move

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Im only a few hours in but some quick observations.

The quick ending was pretty cool.

How the hell are these guerrillas still alive? They have blue arrows just pointing the way to all their hideouts. This poo poo should be over before brunch.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Biology facts: fascists can't see the colour blue.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I was mediocre on FC 4, 5 and New Dawn, but finished them all because I dunno theres always something kind of cathartic about this type of game. The gun play also always delivers. So far, I think FC6 is significantly better than the previous games. Im playing on PS5, just got to the main world, and Im free flowing from place to place in between missions and feeling pretty awesome in big gun fights. The mobility and shooting is quite good and I feel I can rush around from cover to cover, zig zag through buildings, flank, etc and really close in kill the enemies. Its definitely a break away from the priors, where silenced bow/sniper action before going hot was pretty much mandatory to deal with the onslaught of ads. Something about the weapons being built out of literal guerrilla junk and the heavier focus on close-mid distance fighting makes this a lot more fun.

The world, characters, female Dani, all I really dig. I like it so much more than FC5s setting and characters. Female Dani hums to herself while riding horseback, or sings along in the car, so many little things that flesh her out. The voice lines for some of the plot might feel basic but poo poo, they have to say a lot of this stuff as basic as possible to make sure people understand it. That speech from Carla though, about wanting to be feared? Holy poo poo that was a strong moment.

The graphics arent amazing, they are very good and the world is extremely rich in detail and variety, but in comparison to BF2042 graphics, or some of the other native PS5 engines.. there is a sharpness and newness thats a bit missed. This often feels like a heavily pumped up TLOU engine instead of a Unreal 5 engine.

If you like Far Cry even a bit, yeah this is more of it, but in a good way. A very fun and good way with tons of exploration (pays off richly, I have a few unique weapons already that really own hard), and definitely the most complex crafting/upgrade system to date for the series.

So which of the 4 starting backpacks or resolver weapons do you all think is best to purchase first? The defender and EMP ones seem good, so does the crossbow. I have heard some say the rocket launcher is basically mandatory because theres so many enemy helicopters, which was a let down for them, you all feel thats the case?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You need some way of taking care of helicopters. That could be a machinegun.

The crossbow is effective, but you can't recover the harpoons meaning it has limited ammo.

Note that buying a Supremo backpack will also unlock a unique grenade type. Molotov for the rocket backpack, EMP for the emp backpack, etc.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

You need some way of taking care of helicopters. That could be a machinegun.

El General, which you get on newb island, is fairly effective against choppers. I'm sure there's better as the game goes on but it's good to begin with.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
This is the first farcry game where I am not playing with the bow as my main weapon because the bow sucks.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

keyframe posted:

This is the first farcry game where I am not playing with the bow as my main weapon because the bow sucks.

Bow is about the same as its been in other games? Also a headshot is always a guaranteed kill with the bow unlike other weapons.

*edit*

I religiously used the bow in other games, but not so much in this game more because of the "flavour". I want more big explodey stuff since its it gives more of a rebel feel.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

Bow is about the same as its been in other games? Also a headshot is always a guaranteed kill with the bow unlike other weapons.

*edit*

I religiously used the bow in other games, but not so much in this game more because of the "flavour". I want more big explodey stuff since its it gives more of a rebel feel.

Bow has always been a kill on chest shot which is the reason people would take it over a sniper. Now it's headshot only but lots of thing kill on headshots so there isn't really a reason to take a bow.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Once you get your first Industrial Circuits bows are just obsolete. Anything they can do, a battle rifle can do better.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Evil Canadian posted:

I want more big explodey stuff since its it gives more of a rebel feel.

Hell yeah. Being a rebel instead of a rich white tourist kid or some generic gun haver is what gives this games combat such a better purpose than before.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there any way to find a specific 'location name' other than zooming in to the maximum and scrolling around the map hoping to spot it?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Grenade launchers make short work of helicopters. Otherwise youll just have to use your default Rocket backpack, just make sure youve mopped up any ground troops before you let it rip

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

VanillaGorilla posted:

Im enjoying this as a general gently caress around game, with one major bone to pick - is it really necessary that as soon as one soldier spots you, like 10 motherfuckers spawn from under every bush and tree? Its ridiculous.

Yeah that's annoying. I thought it was because of a base having a lieutenant still around but it happens out on the road too.

Evil Canadian posted:

Also the 1887 sawed off starter shotgun is really good and im still using it religiously. You can tell a shooter is good if they have a good shotgun.

The full length one you can buy with the monera money you get doing special op missions is even better

Also lol running around with an SKS and Mosin is silly fun

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Theres a unique gold shorty shotgun on the starting island with a scope and incendiary rounds and its baller as gently caress for close in work. Theres also a treasure chest n a tiny island on that island that can be opened with a key from chorizos quests that has a very good assault rifle. But the craziest Ive gotten so far is the unique handheld machine pistol that has such a high fire rate its recoil is atrocious, but if the rounds hit a a vehicle they become explosive burst rounds. Just tears cars and trucks wide open in a shower of sparks and fire.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What ammo do people favour for shotguns? The "shotgun shells" one that appears to be slugs apparently reduces damage by a ton? Should I install Buckshot, and how does that differ from the basic ammo?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Buckshot annihilates everything.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lmao found the early ending.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Game seems good. Everything I didn't like about 5 isn't bothering me much and so far just enjoying taking the long way around the starter island to get to story mission points.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

The Lone Badger posted:

What ammo do people favour for shotguns? The "shotgun shells" one that appears to be slugs apparently reduces damage by a ton? Should I install Buckshot, and how does that differ from the basic ammo?

I thought the slugs were armor piercing but they're not, the slugs increase accuracy making the shotgun into a somewhat medium range weapon

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Lmao found the early ending.

And then when you continue on "Hmm, why do I feel so relaxed?". 😂

Edit: Boom-Boom will ride in the sidecar on a motorcycle!

Double edit: did they patch the game? Boom-boom is riding in a car with me now.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 10, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've basically just been using the m14 with the silencer for everything. Pop pop! Dead Fascist!

Though is there a way to tell if a soldier is an informant or do I just have to walk up to every one without a gun and see if it lets me bribe them? Also i turned my mini map off by accident and I cannot figure out what key brings it back, there's none bound in the settings.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
The bribe-able soldiers should have that black diamond with an exclamation point icon over their heads, like the guerillas who tell you where to find AA guns and whatnot. As for the minimap, I think you turn it back on in the HUD settings.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

My biggest complaint is that it takes 3-4 rpg rounds to bring down the bigger rocket copters. Obnoxious.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
Is there any need to do hunting now? My previous experience with FarCry 3-5 is to spend a good portion of the early game hunting to make backpacks. Is it just to trade for materials you can find while running around or do they provide unique supplies?

I'm thinking of turning on enemy outlines in the accessibility options as I'm having a real hard time seeing and distinguishing them from the scenary and civilians. Is it just me finding that?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
That incendiary shotgun owns, I'm having a lot of fun with th weapon variation in this, especially compared to 5.

I just had a song play on a car radio and the pc sang along with it and then kept singing it for a bit when I hopped out, that was a really cool touch.

e] I also have a hella hard time spotting enemies in foliage, I usually just go full Nam style and unload a bunch of mg or shotgun into the general area

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Unless I'm missing something the trading interface only lets you sell 1 of something or all of it at once. If you have a huge stockpile of 1000 gasoline or so and want to sell 200 units at $3 per unit, you have to sit and sell it one at a time and you have to hold down the sell button each time. When back in the game, the UI will then scroll through those individual $3 sales and play the sound effect for getting money 200 times.

shortspecialbus posted:

My biggest complaint is that it takes 3-4 rpg rounds to bring down the bigger rocket copters. Obnoxious.

Try the Zeusito, one of the Resolver weapons you can buy from Juan for uranium. Charged lightning cannon that's downed every helicopter I've come across in one shot. Not sure if it's doing enough damage to destroy them of it it's just disabling them but either way they fall out of the sky and explode.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Slavik posted:

I'm thinking of turning on enemy outlines in the accessibility options as I'm having a real hard time seeing and distinguishing them from the scenary and civilians. Is it just me finding that?

Nah, I turned off enemy tags and healthbars in the hud and it's legitimately difficult to make out enemies pretty much most of the time.

If you don't have my particular brand of survival game brain worms then you could always just roll with Boomer and have auto spotted wallhacks all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the gloves that let your throwing axes lock onto people whip rear end