Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If I won a significant sum on the lottery, my first reaction would be to vomit, and then possibly faint face-first into it.

Can't buy class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tarquin? Wasn't he the guy who ordered the Death Star to blow up Alderan? He probably should be put in a coal mine in all honesty.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tsietisin posted:

That reminded me of the guys that bought a £4million winning scratch card, apparently with a stolen debit card so Camelot didn't pay out.

The court case is due to go x take place for this in the next few days. Be interesting to hear what is said.

Judgement of Solomon: cut the winnings in half and give them half each.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Tsietisin posted:

That reminded me of the guys that bought a £4million winning scratch card, apparently with a stolen debit card so Camelot didn't pay out.

The court case is due to go x take place for this in the next few days. Be interesting to hear what is said.

Hope they win, then it is immediately seized as proceeds of crime (and given to the card owner instead of the police)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Absolutely wild to me that there are people in this world who instead of calling the official number like a normal human would take a winning lottery ticket worth upwards of a million quid to their local spar and hand it over to the guy at the till, as if he's going to pay out the lot in rolls of twenties.

Payndz posted:

Jesus. If £27m suddenly came my way I'd be in Monaco the next day.

Literally the plot of S4 of The Syndicate.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
In the event of my lottery win, I would be interested to know if there's a way to bulk buy avatars or if I'd have to sit there with loads of tabs lined up ready to go and if it would let me, or is it only able to do one every 30 second or something?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Communist Thoughts posted:

When I first came to scotland with my BBC English voice, at work there was a guy who had the Scottish version of the incomprehensible old man from hot fuzz's accent.

He was very friendly and would come up to me and go something like "y'hwee hewwenny h'yeh?"
And I'd say, "sorry, what?"
And he'd look at me completely mystified and go "whe?"

My wife comes from Cornwall and claims to be able to understand the hot fuzz guy perfectly. On the other hand I had to translate for her when we went up to Newcastle to meet my relatives.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

NotJustANumber99 posted:

In the event of my lottery win, I would be interested to know if there's a way to bulk buy avatars or if I'd have to sit there with loads of tabs lined up ready to go and if it would let me, or is it only able to do one every 30 second or something?

I think if you approached the admin they will find a way for you to mass purchase goatse av's for everyone. :)

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Are these people unaware that many of the elderly have moved on from coal fires and have embraced central heating? Some of them even have indoor plumbing. A few even eat pasta and the rest of that foreign muck!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

What proportion of the elderly would we need to burn to heat the remainder? The selection process could be monitised, the elderly games.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Perhaps lorries could be modified to install elderly processing units, whereby those of advanced age would be comfortably stowed in a low slung battery box under the trailer unit. Their minds would be installed into a virtual world modelled on a long lost past they never lived where they struggled through the war, whilst the spare processing power from their brains would host the ai self driving software for the delivery truck.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Is the Covid app still meant to be pinging people, or have they just switched it off? I always see it popping up on my phone as if it's doing stuff, but I've never once had any kind of notification from it, and I haven't heard of anyone else getting one either since everyone stopped whinging about the 'pingdemic'.

Kind of feel like getting rid of it now tbh, it's not like you even have to check in anywhere anymore anyway.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Perhaps lorries could be modified to install elderly processing units, whereby those of advanced age would be comfortably stowed in a low slung battery box under the trailer unit. Their minds would be installed into a virtual world modelled on a long lost past they never lived where they struggled through the war, whilst the spare processing power from their brains would host the ai self driving software for the delivery truck.

Which episode of Black Mirror is this?

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I knew a guy that won around £150k in the mid 90s. I found this out when around half the pub was gathered round him like he was the toast of town one afternoon, as he was buying everyone drinks. I'd personally barred him from one pub and refused him drinks numerous other places, no-one would lend him money any more and he was to be fair, a right prick. Did he invest this wisely, with advice? Nope, he took his atrocious girlfriend and about 4 others to Spain for a week, dumped her and drank himself to death over the next 3 or so years.

I'm sure he thought that would last him the rest of his life. I was sadder for his brother who died just after he came up on the Lottery falling down some stairs, he did shitloads of charity fundraising. But as ever, West Yorkshire will West Yorkshire fortune.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Goldskull posted:

I knew a guy that won around £150k in the mid 90s.

drank himself to death over the next 3 or so years.

I'm sure he thought that would last him the rest of his life

I mean, to be fair...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if you drink yourself to death it does last you the rest of your life.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What proportion of the elderly would we need to burn to heat the remainder? The selection process could be monitised, the elderly games.

We are doomed to suffer the boring parts of dystopia but miss out on the fun parts such as overly dramatic bloodsports. Some guy died after taking one punch 18 seconds into a bare knuckle boxing match a few days ago, but that's too retro.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 10, 2021

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

A good point well put. You know what I meant even if I didn't.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Winning the lottery is genuinely one of the most life-ruining things that can happen to someone

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I am happy to take that risk.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Lady Demelza posted:

Are these people unaware that many of the elderly have moved on from coal fires and have embraced central heating? Some of them even have indoor plumbing. A few even eat pasta and the rest of that foreign muck!

the objective is to associate environmentalism with any and all negative repercussions of things like brexit. Poor, hungry, can't even turn a light on? Environmentalism.

These fuckers want to turn Earth into a hive city before the end. I guess that was always the end point of capitalism, before it finally eats itself, it will eat all life.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

Winning the lottery is genuinely one of the most life-ruining things that can happen to someone

fingers crossed

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Regarde Aduck posted:

the objective is to associate environmentalism with any and all negative repercussions of things like brexit. Poor, hungry, can't even turn a light on? Environmentalism.

These fuckers want to turn Earth into a hive city before the end. I guess that was always the end point of capitalism, before it finally eats itself, it will eat all life.

Going by the last Podcasting is Praxis episode, there are environmentalists who want to turn the planet into a group of Hive Cities, and the rest of the world into green zones.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Qwertycoatl posted:

I always thought "it could be you" was vaguely threatening.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

will the hive cities have adequate moorage for my lottery yacht?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Qwertycoatl posted:

It really isn't. The people who are dumb with the money are played up to show "being rich sucks actually"

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ohtsam posted:

It really isn't. The people who are dumb with the money are played up to show "being rich sucks actually"

"Plebs don't know how to be rich so it's better that wealth is concentrated in the hands of the already wealthy, furthermore faaaaaaaaart"

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Eh I just think too many people think "If I had a big house and a fancy car and didn't have to work anymore life would be mint and I'd be really happy all the time!" and then they suddenly have that stuff and they're still not and they just don't know what to do.

Like if you haven't got to a point in your life and in your self where you realise that you don't need all that poo poo to be happy then you might be in for a bad time.

Also some people find purpose and meaning in their jobs - even if they don't particularly like them, just *doing something* with their time can bring it... and again if they up and quit then they find they don't actually have that much to live for because they never had to work on finding their *own* sense of purpose in life.

Honestly it's something I've struggled with a bit, being unemployed the last two years. I think if I won the lottery, not *too* much about my life would change. I'd get a slightly nicer house (nothing too ridiculous) and probably a new car (again, nothing too ridiculous) and go on some nice holidays... then I'd probably set myself up with a woodworking shop somewhere and make cool poo poo, maybe sell it for larks. And/or I'd set up some kind of charity or a housing cooperative or something with my winnings and spend some of my time running it.

I always used to think when people said "My life won't change!" when they won the lottery were the most horrendously boring pricks and that they should give me the money instead, but these days I think they're probably the ones who've got it right, at least to some extent.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 10, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Qwertycoatl posted:

By the same token have really rich parents does in many cases absolutely gently caress people up. (Succession illustrates this brilliantly).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If anyone is worried about the terrible harm that being very rich would cause them I am more than willing to take that bullet for you.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think if I had enough money for videogames, heating and steroid injections to stop my tendons falling out, I would be perfectly content. 90% of my unhappiness or stress playing games comes from feeling like I should be doing something else to feed the golden throne economy.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

you dont want any food?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
There's that national lottery game where the top prize is being paid £10k per month for thirty years. I reckon that would be the best. You'd be minted, but not so much that you'd go completely crazy. You could quit your meaningless bullshit job and just volunteer or travel or something, and donate like at least two thirds of the money towards cool stuff.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Occasionally I look at houses I can't afford to buy and fantasize about living in them, but deep down having a bigger house would absolutely make me miserable. I live alone and a two bed terrace where I can hear the neighbour's TV through the wall can still feel lonely. Spending my life cleaning another seven unused bedrooms would not make me happy. I could fill them with cats, maybe, or buy myself a trophy husband.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

you get a cleaner or just live in filth. none of you deserve to win the lottery, al this umming and ahring and giving it away. bloody hell

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

therattle posted:

By the same token have really rich parents does in many cases absolutely gently caress people up. (Succession illustrates this brilliantly).

I've got a good solution for this, 100% inheritance tax.

WhatEvil posted:

Eh I just think too many people think "If I had a big house and a fancy car and didn't have to work anymore life would be mint and I'd be really happy all the time!" and then they suddenly have that stuff and they're still not and they just don't know what to do.

Like if you haven't got to a point in your life and in your self where you realise that you don't need all that poo poo to be happy then you might be in for a bad time.

Also some people find purpose and meaning in their jobs - even if they don't particularly like them, just *doing something* with their time can bring it... and again if they up and quit then they find they don't actually have that much to live for because they never had to work on finding their *own* sense of purpose in life.

Honestly it's something I've struggled with a bit, being unemployed the last two years. I think if I won the lottery, not *too* much about my life would change. I'd get a slightly nicer house (nothing too ridiculous) and probably a new car (again, nothing too ridiculous) and go on some nice holidays... then I'd probably set myself up with a woodworking shop somewhere and make cool poo poo, maybe sell it for larks. And/or I'd set up some kind of charity or a housing cooperative or something with my winnings and spend some of my time running it.

I always used to think when people said "My life won't change!" when they won the lottery were the most horrendously boring pricks and that they should give me the money instead, but these days I think they're probably the ones who've got it right, at least to some extent.

The thing is that having been long-term unemployed I know that not working while being able to afford not only a roof over my head and keep fed while still being able to get luxury items like books and games and music would make me happy.

Seriously, remove financial concerns and you remove more than half the things that cause me stress and prevent me from doing what I'm passionate about : sitting in my underpants watching some wrestling.

It's good that there are people who find meaning or whatever from work but just tend to find a mix of frustration and pure misery.

What I'm saying is someone wealthy should make my dreams come true and fire a couple mil at me. Won't ask for more.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I've no doubt a lot of people gently caress up their lives by winning the lotto, maybe even the majority because it's a game designed to appeal to desperate mugs with poor impulse control

Still though, there's a huge confirmation bias going on - the people who win a huge amount of cash but stay private and keep their head down probably do well, but you'll never know

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Eh I just think too many people think "If I had a big house and a fancy car and didn't have to work anymore life would be mint and I'd be really happy all the time!"

How many people would you be happy with thinking gently caress I wish my life didnt suck and knowing that the constant money chase was the reason it did?

Youre already pretty rich really, most people only really want the crushing boot of poordom taken off their necks.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Perfect Element posted:

There's that national lottery game where the top prize is being paid £10k per month for thirty years. I reckon that would be the best. You'd be minted, but not so much that you'd go completely crazy. You could quit your meaningless bullshit job and just volunteer or travel or something, and donate like at least two thirds of the money towards cool stuff.

Yeah that always sounded ideal to me - you get an incredible salary for the foreseeable future and know for a fact you can't just splurge the whole lot on gold leaf steaks or some other pointless poo poo.

I'd just live in fear that I'd become too reliant on it and the ongoing societal collapse would cause Camelot to go under and all the £10k p/m prizes would stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean you could live very comfortably on 3k a month and invest the other 7k in a healthy pension fund. Even if you spent 5 and invested 5, assuming you have to be 18 to enter and are probably going to be at least in your 20s when you win, you could retire at 50 and still have a good life off of that.