Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Use more missiles, especially storm missiles. ESPECIALLY storm missiles. They’re insanely good against bosses.
dittoing this. i was plinking away at the recurring miniboss with regular missiles until i realized that if you wiggle the free-aim a bit, you can lock on like 3-4 times easily, and just lay into them with 10+ missiles simultaneously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/scottyartz/status/1447048564434259974?s=21

This has been my experience so far

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

yeah i find that timing for the melee block against the emmis to be so incredibly tight that's it's basically useless and they catch me so often the zones are often just exercises in frustration. doing stuff like giving them hitscan stun guns doesn't make it any better either

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"This game is getting good review scores" wrapped up in ten minutes of the guy sucking his own cock.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Completed at 100% in 9.5 hours, with the original win at 54% and high 7 hour range.

This was definitely a harder metroid at first glance. I feel like most of my time was just learning bosses, and my hard mode run will be around the same time as a result. It felt like it rewarded you for reacting appropriately to tells, rather than just shoving missles down the boss' gullet. For the final boss after coming back after getting all the rest of the items, I still got my face smashed in because I forgot some tells. Once I started nailing them though, he went down like a chump.

At least this one only had a few shinespark sets, none of which were uproariously difficult, unlike loving fusion. I started to get upset part way through that you were railroaded pretty hard until you got the very last upgrade. But reflecting back, all the mainline metroid games have done this, so it was nice to not really need to backtrack hard until the end.

I love where they're going plot wise, so I'm excited to see the next one... In 15 years. :smith:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

DelphiAegis posted:

I love where they're going plot wise, so I'm excited to see the next one... In 15 years. :smith:
While it's a longshot, I really hope this game sells enough for nintendo to throw enough of a budget at them to let them make more metroids in a reasonable timeframe

imagine, if you will, metroid with a release schedule comparable to splatoon

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

LionArcher posted:

So did I gently caress up? I am in section two, was exploring, and found an energy tank at the top, but now can’t go down and can only go forward to section three, but I haven’t beaten section two boss.

Here’s a map of where I am.

I was stuck where you were this morning

Go to next zone : get triple gun : come back

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

The United States posted:

If NIntendo doesn't want their exclusive games playable at full speed on emulators day 1 then they shouldn't use decade old hardware that slow enough to be emulated perfectly on a low end gaming pc.

Just... what. No. My point is publicizing the fact that the big new release is fully playable on emulators is going to bring the attention of Nintendo's notoriously aggressive legal team down on the emulation scene, which is the main thing enabling old console game preservation. Add that to the fact that Metroid usually sells badly and there's a real chance that if Dread doesn't meet expectations, there's a real chance we won't see a new one for years and years again, and that publishing that article TWO DAYS after it launches is something that could actually effect sales, which would give Nintendo actual cause to crush emulation sites again. And what the gently caress is the point YOU'RE trying to make even?

EDIT:

Orange Crush Rush posted:

What if it’s less “go Nintendo” and more “someone please get Kotaku poo poo canned already”

Basically this. Kotaku's gonna get useful and helpful resources smashed because they put a spotlight on them.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/menacing_marsh/status/1447123411436670978?s=20

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Informal poll: when you were able to successfully parry the EMMI’s grab, was it when you had the Omega cannon? Because those were the only times I was able to do it and I think that the timing is more lenient when you have the Omega cannon.

Also, why is the Omega cannon so much like Phazon? It’s Phazon, isn’t it? Just admit it game.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

For those who are struggling with the E.M.M.I. timing, a YouTube video I found said the timing window itself is randomized, so there is absolutely no consistency between game overs. You're better off looking at your map BEFORE you enter the zones and study the exits.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Informal poll: when you were able to successfully parry the EMMI’s grab, was it when you had the Omega cannon? Because those were the only times I was able to do it and I think that the timing is more lenient when you have the Omega cannon.

Also, why is the Omega cannon so much like Phazon? It’s Phazon, isn’t it? Just admit it game.
i found it slightly easier when i had the cannon, but I was able to parry it even without it several times

i even once hosed up the grab-parry, but was able to parry the spike attack, which I know for a fact I will never be able to do again intentionally

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I've actually been better at doing it WITHOUT the Omega Cannon. Possibly because I get amped when I have it. Though I did pull off a move basically like this: (Spoiler for the... 4th? 5th? EMMI) https://twitter.com/tfalconwing/status/1446780305214296069

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

J Detan posted:

I've actually been better at doing it WITHOUT the Omega Cannon. Possibly because I get amped when I have it. Though I did pull off a move basically like this: (Spoiler for the... 4th? 5th? EMMI) https://twitter.com/tfalconwing/status/1446780305214296069

Really like this EMMI kill shot cause I had the same experience without the counter - it's easy to get excited after breaking the face plate and run the loop to set up a charge shot only to get spooked by the dude crawling up the corner because you didn't bait it into the connecting room. Still a fun shot.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Vitamean posted:

Really like this EMMI kill shot cause I had the same experience without the counter - it's easy to get excited after breaking the face plate and run the loop to set up a charge shot only to get spooked by the dude crawling up the corner because you didn't bait it into the connecting room. Still a fun shot.

Yeah literally same thing happened to me. I was far enough along the platform that I didn't get caught, but I was expecting it to crawl along the top like it did while I was shooting the faceplate off, then its face popped up from below the ledge.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

While it's a longshot, I really hope this game sells enough for nintendo to throw enough of a budget at them to let them make more metroids in a reasonable timeframe

This is what i'm hoping, at least one every 5 years at least ya?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i love how the speed boost and shinespark feel in this so much

https://twitter.com/CiaphasSA/status/1447321475904520193

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 10, 2021

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

My one complaint with the speedbooster is that I hate having to press the stick button to activate it before I start running. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

i love how the speed boost and shinespark feel in this so much

https://twitter.com/CiaphasSA/status/1447321475904520193

You have your account set to limited fyi

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I beat it. I'm curious about The ending art stuff. What do you need to unlock more? Anyone have the specific speed or completion % handy?

I cleared at 55% at 7 hours.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

RC Cola posted:

I beat it. I'm curious about The ending art stuff. What do you need to unlock more? Anyone have the specific speed or completion % handy?

I cleared at 55% at 7 hours.

I think it's beat in any time, beat under 8 hours, and beat under 4 hours, then the same but on hard mode. Item completion is just per area and whenever you collect them all

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Just Andi Now posted:

My one complaint with the speedbooster is that I hate having to press the stick button to activate it before I start running. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Regy Rusty posted:

You have your account set to limited fyi

feck, explains that. ty

(e) fixed

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 10, 2021

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
OK, definitely got pretty drat lost after getting Space Jump until I was browsing this thread and someone emphasized the utility of it under-water - that helped and got me on my way, so thanks. At least my random backtracking everywhere looking for a path forward allowed me to grab a bunch of items from the early zones.

Later boss spoiler: Z-57 isn't anywhere near as bad as people are saying, especially if you utilize storm missles, although it did take me probably 5 tries? Didn't care for the flappy bird phase, that was really easy to get out of rhythm if you took a single hit. LOVED just blasting his face over and over again if you pulled off the counter and triggered that whole extra cutscene. Probably my favorite boss so far.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oxxidation posted:

there’s a hidden area in Ferenia’s cold zone that’s driving me nuts, the map shows two speed booster blocks floating in the void with no indication of how to reach them

Look a room to the left with the pulse, you should see the access point and be able to backtrack a solution from there. Level with the blocks, way to the left.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I think I've had more success without but that's just due to the sheer numbers of encounters without omega vs with. Either way it's just pure luck to get it, and the window to hit the 2nd face block often feels like it doesn't adhere to any specific moment at all

J Detan posted:

Though I did pull off a move basically like this: (Spoiler for the... 4th? 5th? EMMI) https://twitter.com/tfalconwing/status/1446780305214296069

nice

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Really not understanding the complaints about bosses, honestly I thought Dread had the best bosses of any game in the series. Pretty much every one took me 3-5 tries and went through the same sequence of "get totally owned --> sorta figure out the pattern --> completely style on them". Chozo robots excepted, because those were just annoying.

I really liked the fact that most boss battles are short. You don't figure out the pattern and then have to repeatedly execute it for 10 minutes like in most action games, you figure out the pattern and then the boss is dead. Combined with how relatively little health you have, it made the battles feel a lot more deadly. This is in contrast to Samus Returns where there were definitely some boss battles that went on for way too long (looking at you, garbage robot).

I finished with 100% at 9.5 hours. It's not a 10/10 game, there are some flaws, but Game Good.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Blaziken386 posted:

They've made two metroids in five years now, and I gotta believe this one sold better than samus returns. I think Mercury steam putting another metroid game out is an inevitably.

Granted, it's Nintendo and they could Nintendo it up by inexplicably refusing to release another metroid.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Hi i just wanna say that the intro music being the same as Super Metroid put me in the right place for this game which fuckin owns

It feels like Metroid is supposed to with some natural feeling evolution to the controls

The game would really really have to gently caress up for me to not like it at this point because see my first point

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I successfully parried the first EMMI four times in a row with no omega cannon. I was starting to wonder if the difficulty of doing so had been greatly exaggerated but that hasn't been the case for the 20 other times I've been caught by one, in which I've only parried again maybe twice. Never been caught once I had the Omega cannon.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

tehinternet posted:

Hi i just wanna say that the intro music being the same as Super Metroid put me in the right place for this game which fuckin owns

It feels like Metroid is supposed to with some natural feeling evolution to the controls

The game would really really have to gently caress up for me to not like it at this point because see my first point

It's so good op

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Bought this to hopefully encourage Nintendo to make more of these. It controls super well and looks really good.

Not sure about the EMMI though. I've literally only seen two(?) The broken one, and then another white one? but I'm not a big fan of the fact that it's just like HEY NOW THIS AREA IS ON A TIMER - and I was too dumb to realise for a while that the EMMI takes a long route round to you, which smashes through some breakable blocks which is how you escape it and I ended up taking something like 10 deaths just trying to work that out.

Also really not a fan of the continuous one-way slops and falls and things. I'm super anal about exploring and "lol never mind, you're going this way now" ends up making me feel like I've missed a ton of stuff and I'll never remember to get back round to it.

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
This is definitely my favorite of the five main games. They loving killed it. Loved every minute of it

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You people that like these shinespark puzzles are simply built differently than I am. Even when I understand the theory behind them I can never execute properly.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Raxivace posted:

You people that like these shinespark puzzles are simply built differently than I am. Even when I understand the theory behind them I can never execute properly.

Yeah as with every other 2D Metroid I'm coming to accept that I'll never come near 100% because I can't pull most of these off.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
That Missile+ tank in Ferenia where you have to run from the tram room, wall jump, save the boost, shoot the beam blocks, cross bomb across the pitfalls, blow up another bomb block, and then ballspark straight up is goddamn ridiculous. I am a human being, Mercury Steam, not a robot! Make the timing a little less strict!

I got it but it took me like fifteen fuckin minutes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
having finished this with around 85% completion, the EMMI's were actually one of my favorite parts - even when they frustrated me, it was usually in a positive or memorable way

but i do agree that all the one-way doors were a bad idea and made the endgame collectible hunt a miserable experience. apparently all the teleporters can link up once you've found them all to make traversal easier, but i must have missed one or two (maybe because i wanted to avoid the lousy load times) because they never networked for me

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Seriously I’ll find the fuckin’ treasure of Oak Island before I get some of these missile packs.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oxxidation posted:

but i do agree that all the one-way doors were a bad idea

I wouldn't mind so much if you got some warning. I hate it when the critical path locks the door behind me in any game - it makes me nervous to progress in case I miss something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It does feel a little on on rails compared to like the original one or Legacy of the Wizard