Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it seems pretty obvious that the empress has some level of control over the drones. why else would she even be here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm finding S2 rather compelling simply because there is an... antagonistic? Oppositional? Faction that isn't mind numbingly stupid. Like the president of the Giad Federacy obviously has his own agenda, a complex mix of idealism and cynicism and would make you go "fair enough" if and when he is forced to turn on Shin's crew.

Meanwhile San Magnolia is still as brain dead as ever, so much so that they can't even see the junior officer coup that is brewing in their midst. Lena is also more interesting now she's also grown into a mixture of idealism and cynicism.

Annette is also a far more interesting character than she gets credit for. Even if she sees herself as an awful person, and tried to distance away from Lena, she ended up being the one trying to make up with Lena even as the latter is clearly moving on with her own agenda ahead of her.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The tone has gotten significantly lighter and the spearhead crew were practically non-entities for the entire episode and I'm not the biggest fan of either development. The empress seems like an awful character to have on screen ever, hopefully in subsequent episodes she's less grating. It's also not the best taste in my mouth that instead of everyone dying at the end of the season, actually none of those people died.

None of these are problems that couldn't go away in episode 2 but my expectations have been blunted a bit. I'm also not super impressed by the story going "and now here's the republic of giad, which is perfect" though I'm expecting the other shoe will drop on that soon and hopefully it's an interesting drop

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The talk of "prototypes" made me think there's a 99% chance they stick spearhead crew in spider gundams and then they steal them to go save Magnolia (or more precisely, Lena and the 86s.)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ninjewtsu posted:

The tone has gotten significantly lighter and the spearhead crew were practically non-entities for the entire episode and I'm not the biggest fan of either development. The empress seems like an awful character to have on screen ever, hopefully in subsequent episodes she's less grating. It's also not the best taste in my mouth that instead of everyone dying at the end of the season, actually none of those people died.

None of these are problems that couldn't go away in episode 2 but my expectations have been blunted a bit. I'm also not super impressed by the story going "and now here's the republic of giad, which is perfect" though I'm expecting the other shoe will drop on that soon and hopefully it's an interesting drop

100% the empress is sticking around, she's in the OP and her archetype is very popular in Japan.

As for Giad, our frame of reference is a quasi-fascist republic, Giad would literally be North Korea and still look good in comparison. All we know about them is they overthrew their previous monarchy and are partly to blame for the murder bots and seem to be trying to make amends for it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

100% the empress is sticking around, she's in the OP and her archetype is very popular in Japan.

i know i'm not expecting her to go away, i'm hoping she becomes less terrible

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If they're in a high school next episode im checking out of this for good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I dunno, if they go Fumoffu with it that's instant AOTY

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The Empress is good because it's clear right away she's not just some brain-dead oujo archetype, but a lonely young child looking for affection, and acting imperiously to seem impressive because in her naivete she figured it'd be the best way to connect with the newcomers.

Lit. her first appearance is preparing a dramatic entrance to ask Spearhead to be her friends, and although they remained guarded and apathetic to her advances by the end of the day she's already drawing them all together with her like the family she's obviously hoping they'll be. She's also keen enough to go quiet without any talkback when the President asks her not to prod Shin on his scar, so she's no brat either.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Glad they addressed some of my criticisms of S1, with a new brigade of fodders being added, and the heroes being able to reach another country. The president is cool. Also lol they literally added Anju to the show: same role, same mannerisms, same character design. Looking forward to the comedy scenes of the girl annoying Shin.

The girl handler back at San Magnolia is still boring.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just found out about show, is it available anywhere outside crunchy roll? Or is that the only option stateside?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kingtheninja posted:

Just found out about show, is it available anywhere outside crunchy roll? Or is that the only option stateside?

I think so.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

First episode with no Lena portion

Also Frederica continues to be a gem, and we learn about the power of her bloodline.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Frederica owns

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

First episode with no Lena portion

Also Frederica continues to be a gem, and we learn about the power of her bloodline.

Definite feelings of "The sustenance of life is on the battlefield." this time out.

The President can't keep them from going back to war, but at least he's able to force them to think about something after it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm probably way off but all the Giad stuff still feels off to me. I can't shake the feeling that they're all heads in jars and this is all a simulacrum to get them to "fight" for the Legion. Maybe I'm reading too much into all the decapitated head imagery, especially when Shin was on the table in the previous episode.

And yeah Frederica is very funny.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm probably way off but all the Giad stuff still feels off to me. I can't shake the feeling that they're all heads in jars and this is all a simulacrum to get them to "fight" for the Legion. Maybe I'm reading too much into all the decapitated head imagery, especially when Shin was on the table in the previous episode.

I had that same feeling as soon everyone showed up alive in the first episode, in a situation that felt too good to be true after the tone of the first season.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

And yeah Frederica is very funny.

I think the sense of unreality is deliberate, but it's mostly to pull us into the protagonists' heads as they try to wrap their brains about the fact that the hell they went through was completely bizarre and unnecessary, and that San Magnolia really is not a normal country. It's like they're refugees from North Korea or something.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The other white-haired kid in the library mentioned he was too poor to attend school, so it does seem like there's some potent inequality at work. It's just mild compared to the insanity of their home country.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Squidster posted:

The other white-haired kid in the library mentioned he was too poor to attend school, so it does seem like there's some potent inequality at work. It's just mild compared to the insanity of their home country.

Plus, he's an Alba, and you can see that Shin is visibly rocked by the idea of an Alba experiencing poverty that serious.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Sindai posted:

Frederica owns

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Frederica is a high quality bratty kid character who actually has her poo poo mostly together. Those types are always big hit or miss so real glad she's a hit.

Good episode, was really sweet of the gang to clearly be waiting on Kurena, who clearly was the most torn on living a "normal" life before commiting to go back to the war.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i rather liked that episode. still not a fan of the kid yet, but it definitely feels a lot more possible for her to win me over.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

This show has some great little shots.

Take this scene for instance:

In the scene where they talk about what they want for the future.

If you look in the background you'll see a mixed Alba and a blond man in the background, exactly like Anju and Daiya who was killed last cour. Separated by the post showing how she can't get what she wanted and establishing why she wants to return to the battlefield.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 10, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Great episode. Glad to see the show is still firing on all cylinders.

So I get Freddy has some kind of Clairvoyance ability but I'm wondering if that's the full story that explains why she seems wiser than her age would indicate.

Possibilities:
- It is her Clairvoyance, and she simply experienced so many moments and memories that they matured her mentally albeit she's still a bit bratty because she's still has the body of a child.

- She has some kind of reincarnation thing going on where the Empress reincarnates when she dies, the last Empress ordered the Legion to attack San Magnolia, lost control, died as a result and reincarnated.

- I'm overthinking it and its just because in a lot of anime being an aristocrat or royalty just confers unto greater degree of capability because of your bloodline.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Sindai posted:

Frederica owns

She's the one that said "blood and soil" right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_and_soil

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Reik posted:

She's the one that said "blood and soil" right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_and_soil

She did use that phrase, yes, specifically to say that if blood and soil don't define you then you need to find another reason d'etre. As the 86 are not a homogeneous population, nor do they have a country to call home because the Republic has forsaken them, they need to find their own reason to be.

So, kind of literally the opposite of what you're implying there.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

She did use that phrase, yes, specifically to say that if blood and soil don't define you then you need to find another reason d'etre. As the 86 are not a homogeneous population, nor do they have a country to call home because the Republic has forsaken them, they need to find their own reason to be.

So, kind of literally the opposite of what you're implying there.

I thought maybe I misread what she said so I went back to double check.

"I understand that you've got nothing but your pride to keep you together. But that's no way for a complete human being to live. It's blood and soil that make a person who they are. If you have neither, and try to define yourself just by who you personally are, when you lose sight of that, you'll quickly fall apart. Never forget that."

That seems pretty clearly nationalist, saying that your blood and soil makes you a more complete human than just living according to your personal pride/ego. How do you interpret that differently?

Reik fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 10, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Reik posted:

I thought maybe I misread what she said so I went back to double check.

"I understand that you've got nothing but your pride to keep you together. But that's no way for a complete human being to live. It's blood and soil that make a person who they are. If you have neither, and try to define yourself just by who you personally are, when you lose sight of that, you'll quickly fall apart. Never forget that."

That seems pretty clearly nationalistic, saying that your blood and soil makes you a more complete human than just living according to your personal pride/ego. How do you interpret that differently?

She's saying that without a society to call themselves a part of, if they loose sight of who they define themselves to be, they will quickly break down with no one to rely on, so they had best either hold true to that identity and not falter from it, or pick a country to call home.

Spearhead Squadron do not think of themselves as a member of any nation, having been shunned by the Republic and struggled to adapt and integrate into Giad.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

She's saying that without a society to call themselves a part of, if they loose sight of who they define themselves to be, they will quickly break down with no one to rely on, so they had best either hold true to that identity and not falter from it, or pick a country to call home.

Spearhead Squadron do not think of themselves as a member of any nation, having been shunned by the Republic and struggled to adapt and integrate into Giad.

Okay, but she didn't say "a society" she said "blood and soil", which is literally Nazi nationalist propaganda.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Reik posted:

Okay, but she didn't say "a society" she said "blood and soil", which is literally Nazi nationalist propaganda.

Whether it's a mistranslation or the original author not knowing/caring about the phrase's origins and just thought it sounded cool, there is literally no reading in which 86 is pro-Nazi, so the question's kind of moot. At unforced error, at worst.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Would it make you feel better to learn she said 自園, meaning one's own cultivated garden/land?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
E: not quite sure what happened here

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 11, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yawgmoft posted:

Would it make you feel better to learn she said 自園, meaning one's own cultivated garden/land?

Mordja posted:

Whether it's a mistranslation or the original author not knowing/caring about the phrase's origins and just thought it sounded cool, there is literally no reading in which 86 is pro-Nazi, so the question's kind of moot. At unforced error, at worst.

Maybe its the translators trying to make the themes of the series more clear?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Mordja posted:

While I agree 86 has been a pretty anti-fascist show so far, a likeable genocide committer saying actual Nazi slogans and has super powers because of her royal blood is definitely not part of their anti-fascist narrative.

Yawgmoft posted:

I don't read or speak any Japanese so I was just relying on the localizers, do you know if that term has been used historically with nationalist connotations? Otherwise Blood and Soil is an awful localization choice.

Reik fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 11, 2021

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
We did it, we unmasked the author.

Everyone can stop watching now.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

We did it, we unmasked the author.

Everyone can stop watching now.

There can be bad parts/characters in good shows.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lmao, not gonna let being proven fundamentally wrong in every way stop you

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

lmao, not gonna let being proven fundamentally wrong in every way stop you

Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Aaaahhhh...a CSPAM poster, it all makes sense now.