Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

30.5 Days posted:

They did bcrypt right, the "salt" isn't a secret, it's a randomized string to prevent people from being able to reuse brute force attempts across multiple passwords, and it is supposed to be available everywhere the hash is. Unless they had literally one salt that everybody shared, which I don't believe is the case. Any hash dump is going to be associated with some number of stolen passwords because an awful lot of people use passwords that are in the top 10k most common passwords, or passwords that were stolen in a previous breach- in fact, twitch users specifically do it so much (because they trend young), they used to have a problem with people brute forcing common passwords & credential stuffing attacks on the front door until the identity team made some stupid AI thing to lock account aggressively if anything looked weird.

Your password will not be stolen if you have practiced good password hygiene up until now, but that is not a good reason to stop practicing good password hygiene.

What's the difference between having the salt from the list of hashes, and having the salt from the source code? The leak has hashed passwords and the source code. Why would it matter which of those two spots the salt is in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

McFrugal posted:

What's the difference between having the salt from the list of hashes, and having the salt from the source code? The leak has hashed passwords and the source code. Why would it matter which of those two spots the salt is in?

If you have the source you know how the salt is used, so you can just start plugging in passwords to generate hashes and see if anything matches the leak. Once you have something you have access to the account using that hash, and it doesn't even have to be the original password so long as the hash matches.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

isndl posted:

If you have the source you know how the salt is used, so you can just start plugging in passwords to generate hashes and see if anything matches the leak. Once you have something you have access to the account using that hash, and it doesn't even have to be the original password so long as the hash matches.

I think you missed my question.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

McFrugal posted:

I think you missed my question.

Sorry, I misunderstood your intent. It doesn't matter where the salt is stored per se, but storing it with the hash is generally indicative of better security practices because it becomes a whole lot easier to have unique salts for each hash that way. The purpose of the salt is to slow down anyone trying to exploit a leaked hash table, and keeping your salt in your source code means you're probably reusing your salt a lot which makes things less secure.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

McFrugal posted:

Having the salt from the source code would imply that twitch uses a single salt for all users (bad, defeats the purpose of using a salt) but I don't think any salts are stored in the source code, and it would be a tremendous amount of work to gently caress up in that manner with bcrypt. Going over it this morning I haven't seen any evidence of salts in source code, I have seen a lot of aws aurora & firehose credentials. I was aware of the latter & it's too bad they didn't leak my 2016 jira tasks to the security team about it ;)

isndl posted:

Everyone already had the source for how the salt is use, it's located here: https://github.com/golang/crypto/blob/master/bcrypt/bcrypt.go

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
And if anyone discovers a fast mechanism for brute-forcing bcrypt passwords, they probably have better things to do than hijacking twitch accounts. Generally speaking when a properly functioning hash dump gets leaked, it goes like this:

code:
* Hey, I can pare down a credential stuffing attacks to just the ones that I know will work. 
 Does the website have some protection against credential stuffing attacks?
  * No -> I could already do a credential stuffing attack without this dump
  * Yes -> It will probably stop me even if I have a known-good subset
* Hey, I can locate users who use the top N most common passwords who have not already had their passwords breached
 Is that a real subset of users? 
   * No -> Then this dump is useless
   * Yes -> No it isn't
* Hey I can spend a few thousand dollars brute forcing a single admin user's password and then do other stuff with that and not make the leak public
  Are there any protections that would stop me from logging in as an admin from BFE?
   * Yes -> I will never recover financially from this
   * No -> Hey now we're in business
  Are there any mechanisms by which my breach will be discovered after I log in, limiting my gains and causing the company to act before the leak is made public?
   * Yes -> I will never recover financially from this, and also why was I doing all this again?  Surely there's something more useful I could have done with this leak before getting caught.
   * No -> John loving Madden
It's just not a good way to use your resources.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Right, yeah, nobody had yet brought up the fact that not all hashing algorithms are easily reversed.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Back to minecraft talk, what's the earliest Omnifactory liquid holding or moving item?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Stone drums are the very earliest, and not bad especially when you first break into chemistry and liquid production, since you'll have maybe a dozen chems you'll be juggling and it's good to have a place to put them.
EnderIO fluid tanks are pretty good too, and work well with most input/output sources (both in world and in UI) so it's always good to carry one or two of those around, too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
HV omnifactory update: godDAMN do I have a lot of chemical reactors. So much piping. I'm glad I did this in omnifactory first because doing all this with just Greg pipes sounds like hell

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Impermanent posted:

HV omnifactory update: godDAMN do I have a lot of chemical reactors. So much piping. I'm glad I did this in omnifactory first because doing all this with just Greg pipes sounds like hell

I just hit LV Assembly Table and I'm starting to appreciate gregtech, but boy I'm glad I'm doing this in Omnifactory instead.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Anyone have any favorite Thaumcraft 6 spells? I still need to get Curse, but I'm curious for some ideas. Been playing a ton of Roguelike Adventures and Dungeons and really been enjoying endgame TC.

Especially the Ẃ̴͇̜̓͆̀Ạ̧̧̛̭͘R̵͈̮̻̣͑ͯ̈́ͯ̏̀̕P̵̡̤̬ͧ̃͜͝͝

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 10, 2021

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
:toot:

come visit my base. we've got ME cubes and energy ball

basement assembly raves

ore lightshow

spicy cube

a bunch of arrays

nickel plasma spinners

and so many DMLs

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 10, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Echophonic posted:

Anyone have any favorite Thaumcraft 6 spells? I still need to get Curse, but I'm curious for some ideas. Been playing a ton of Roguelike Adventures and Dungeons and really been enjoying endgame TC.

Especially the Ẃ̴͇̜̓͆̀Ạ̧̧̛̭͘R̵͈̮̻̣͑ͯ̈́ͯ̏̀̕P̵̡̤̬ͧ̃͜͝͝

What modpack are you using? I’ve been trying to scratch my thaumcraft itch and I haven’t played through 6 yet.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
When 1.18 comes out, I hope we get a few simple QoL mods too, because I've gone so deep in the hole of heavy modpacks and tech progression I think I just need to reset with a mostly vanilla dive. Fabric's looking promising for a lot of that, but all I really need is a few nice decorative mods and maybe some performance boosters and I'll be golden.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
Nice!

I feel like I'm finally getting close to the tank; I've got the neutronium and the omnium, am currently working on getting the rest of the necessary chaos shards, and then whatever other miscellaneous little bits are still needed.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Halibut Barn posted:

Nice!

I feel like I'm finally getting close to the tank; I've got the neutronium and the omnium, am currently working on getting the rest of the necessary chaos shards, and then whatever other miscellaneous little bits are still needed.
You've got the hard part done it sounds like! The biggest hurdle for me was the number of diamonds needed. It was beyond excessive and I spent the last ~8h or so just sending T4s in to get the dense diamond ore, and the T1s in to get the pristine diamonds to build and send the lair and shard MMs. I was never short on omnium really and neutronium timing lined up pretty well. I didn't have a huge amount of waiting like a lot of people did, since apparently it takes a full day of a T3 fusion reactor to make enough neutronium, though I would have had a big delay (and finished sooner) if I stockpiled more diamonds. I had to build out that bolted-on processing array to handle the diamond ore load.

You need ~800k regular diamonds ~20k (~300 t1s worth) of exquisite diamonds to get to tank.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 10, 2021

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
About to do my first big automation in Omnifactory: getting polymer clay. This modpack rules.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
man dev branch omnifactory is really good. I need like 8 million more tungstate than I currently have now though. I got real used to sitting on my rear end at base while I was going up through ores that were more easily bought and now I gotta work a little for my inputs again.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Is there any word on how close to stable release the current dev branch is? I was thinking of trying it once it was formally released.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
No idea. But if you're worried about stability it runs fine and updates don't break saves so no reason not to play.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's less that and more that I already have a lot on my plate between games and work so if it's still a ways off from stable release I won't feel too bad continuing to wait for it while I work through the things I have going on. Y'all seem to be having a really good time with it, and it sounds a bit less intense than GTNH was in a good way, so I definitely want to check it out eventually.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

What modpack are you using? I’ve been trying to scratch my thaumcraft itch and I haven’t played through 6 yet.

Same, would love to know of a good pack w/ TC6 in it

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
And now I've finally got my creative tank...

...except I didn't get quest credit for it, because like a dingus I rushed through the last few steps and forgot to take one of the neutronium solar panels out of AE storage and actually hold it before building the T10 miner. I'm tempted to cheat one in temporarily, but eh, just creating another one will be easier now anyway.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Is getting a virus from a sketchy Minecraft download actually a thing?

I'm in a mentor role with some kids, and one of them messaged me in a panic tonight saying that he had gotten a virus from a Minecraft mod and wanted help fixing it so he didn't have to tell his parents he'd hosed up the computer. He claims that after downloading some mods a pop-up appeared saying he was being hacked, and that the entire computer then stopped taking commands from him and his Minecraft character started moving around on its own. At my urging he pulled the plug on the machine and hasn't turned it on since. I know he was doing stupid poo poo in search of mods/hacks because he admitted to getting one from loving 4shared of all places, but he's also a bit developmentally delayed and extremely not computer-savvy, so I have to take his descriptions of anything technical with a big grain of salt. That said, does this sort of thing happen in the community? If so, is this something to be seriously concerned about, or is it just a dumb prank that will succumb to safe mode and a virus scanner?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Captain Monkey posted:

We're playing Roguelike Adventures and Dungeons. I've almost 100%ed the book, currently working on the super-late Impetus tech from Thaumic Augmentation. I've done so much stuff in TC that I've never tried before.

I've leaned incredibly heavy into Thaumcraft, with Electroblob's for more supporting buffs that TC doesn't really offer. I've got golems (my first time getting them to do gently caress-all of use) handling my Mystical Agriculture crops, incredibly powerful armor, dragonbone weapons, and have completed my first Eldritch Citadel and stripped it for parts for my tower. The endgame of Thaumic Augmentation is kind of annoying (the enemies are super aggressive and the warp builds up), but the gear looks awesome and offers a lot of great additions and fun tools overall. I really like Impetus, it's a cool throwback to the old Aura system.

Though, I am fully sick of Crimson Cult ambushes and other irritating warp effects.

Basically, I'm focusing on magic and introducing mods and gear in my tower, they're learning modded MC (one's done Sky Bees with one, one's pretty new) and exploring. I'll probably be teaching TC and probably Embers, which I'll move onto once I successfully set up Impetus generation and storage. Next up is probably going into a

However, we've been having a lot of fun. First up is my increasingly "is, uh, that guy alright?" wizard tower, then the rest of our little starter town and increasingly-populated village.

My tower and house.

My friend's houses and other buildings around town:

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 14, 2021

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Kestral posted:

I'm in a mentor role with some kids, and one of them messaged me in a panic tonight saying that he had gotten a virus from a Minecraft mod and wanted help fixing it so he didn't have to tell his parents he'd hosed up the computer. He claims that after downloading some mods a pop-up appeared saying he was being hacked, and that the entire computer then stopped taking commands from him and his Minecraft character started moving around on its own. At my urging he pulled the plug on the machine and hasn't turned it on since. I know he was doing stupid poo poo in search of mods/hacks because he admitted to getting one from loving 4shared of all places, but he's also a bit developmentally delayed and extremely not computer-savvy, so I have to take his descriptions of anything technical with a big grain of salt. That said, does this sort of thing happen in the community? If so, is this something to be seriously concerned about, or is it just a dumb prank that will succumb to safe mode and a virus scanner?

I've never heard of people getting actual viruses from minecraft mods, but I also don't know anyone that would download a mod from 4shared. Considering mods are effectively extra java code that runs when minecraft loads, you could definitely write a malicious "mod" that is actually a virus and takes over your computer via minecraft. It'd be especially easy to get a virus if you download a file that claims to be an installer for a mod.

I'd take it seriously, but most viruses can be removed via safe mode and a virus scanner anyway.

The most likely result from this is that the kid had his account stolen.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Kestral posted:

My kid virus'd up our computer a few years ago trying to download an adventure map. I'm sure there are a zillion predatory sites that use minecraft as their bait because young kids aren't going to have learned to play "which of these seven buttons that say download is the real one?".

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Depending on how they downloaded the mod, it's completely legitimate - minecraft mod download sites have the most predatory and confusing "click here to download" type ads and malware that I've ever experienced in my long history of modding, so that's what probably happened, it's probably not the mod itself.

As to what they accidentally ran and how to clean it up, uhhh good luck. It can be anywhere on the spectrum from "shady software the cleanly uninstalls when you ask" to "straight virus that hides through anything but a complete flatten and reinstall"

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 14, 2021

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

So, last time I played Minecraft, was somewhere before it got sold off to Microsoft and my login doesn't appear to work any more.
Do I have to buy minecraft again?
I bought the game back when it was just a silly block placing engine back in Alpha.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ssthalar posted:

So, last time I played Minecraft, was somewhere before it got sold off to Microsoft and my login doesn't appear to work any more.
Do I have to buy minecraft again?
I bought the game back when it was just a silly block placing engine back in Alpha.

https://help.minecraft.net/hc/en-us/articles/4403181904525-How-to-Migrate-Your-Mojang-Account-to-a-Microsoft-Account

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Thanks.
Guess I'll buy it again since it seems like the old hotmail account it was bound to doesn't exist anymore.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Sure, this looks safe. Don't have rift stabilization started yet, but polluting the gently caress out of a Dimensional Doors block seems fine.

Edit: God drat, Thaumic Augmentation lets you make some cool-looking poo poo.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 14, 2021

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Thanks folks, looks like we've got some troubleshooting to do tonight. Fingers crossed!

Bhodi posted:

Depending on how they downloaded the mod, it's completely legitimate - minecraft mod download sites have the most predatory and confusing "click here to download" type ads and malware that I've ever experienced in my long history of modding, so that's what probably happened, it's probably not the mod itself.

God, this is so true. Apparently the reason he went on sketchy sites is that all the mods he "downloaded from curseforge wouldn't work," so I went there on a completely stock Internet Explorer (yes, he uses IE, yes, it makes me shudder), and oh my god it's a nightmare. I haven't seen the internet unfiltered by uBlock Origin and NoScript for years, so I had no idea what they were up against. I'm reasonably certain I would have clicked one of those hostile links at least once, and I've been doing this for a long-rear end time. I suppose this is a lesson for folks with kids in their lives, either your own or family friends and such: take some time to make sure they're using real browsers with adblockers, you'll save them a lot of time and aggravation, and you won't end up having to unfuck their computers down the line (as much).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So, I've never used Create, but a friend has been talking it up so much I'd like to give it a whirl. Anyone have any recommendations for a pack built mostly around, or heavily involving, Create? Ideally a progression/quest-based pack that doesn't assume you already know how to use it, but I'll take what I can get.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

So, I've never used Create, but a friend has been talking it up so much I'd like to give it a whirl. Anyone have any recommendations for a pack built mostly around, or heavily involving, Create? Ideally a progression/quest-based pack that doesn't assume you already know how to use it, but I'll take what I can get.

Create has a really incredibly user-friendly system for teaching you how it works. Any modball sandbox with create in it is all you need to learn it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Impermanent posted:

Create has a really incredibly user-friendly system for teaching you how it works. Any modball sandbox with create in it is all you need to learn it.
drat, guess I'm just so used to big mods with no documentation that I expected it to be an impenetrable learning experience. It's a refreshing change of pace when a mod includes its own path to learning.
I'll look around then, thanks. Of course if anyone has any pack recommendations with Create I'm still open to suggestion.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

drat, guess I'm just so used to big mods with no documentation that I expected it to be an impenetrable learning experience. It's a refreshing change of pace when a mod includes its own path to learning.
I'll look around then, thanks. Of course if anyone has any pack recommendations with Create I'm still open to suggestion.

Come play Wizardly: https://discord.gg/goonscx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
https://twitter.com/TechnicPack/status/1449407691290464258?t=vTUPedy2sWAaTkJi4V7WxA&s=19

huh, wasn't expecting that