Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Lots of govt contractors want to work with DoD and DoD sets all kinds of wild standards for them that the department itself probably doesn’t even follow. I imagine that’s where the “TPM 2 is for Defense” language originated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Edit: never mind, not sure what I was doing; must be tired.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

FuturePastNow posted:

I think the 8" floppies with the launch programs were finally replaced a couple years ago

I pray to whoever will listen that anyone who thinks military admin staff workstations and missile control systems should be running the same hardware and OS are kept far, far from anything important, government or otherwise.

It got me thinking, though. Some of the intelligence community uses linux. I wonder how bad Microsoft would have to gently caress up to get the rest of the government to follow suit, or if they'd trundle along with Windows 14: Voice Control Only Edition no matter how lovely things get.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I think the deal with decommissioning the floppies was that hardware maintenance and irreplaceablity of the disks were becoming a concern more than modernizing for its own sake, but don't quote me on that.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I pray to whoever will listen that anyone who thinks military admin staff workstations and missile control systems should be running the same hardware and OS are kept far, far from anything important, government or otherwise.

It got me thinking, though. Some of the intelligence community uses linux. I wonder how bad Microsoft would have to gently caress up to get the rest of the government to follow suit, or if they'd trundle along with Windows 14: Voice Control Only Edition no matter how lovely things get.

some governments already do, and they use stuff like libreoffice as well.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
how do you remove recycle bin from the desktop again

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

BoosterDuck posted:

Put it inside itself, silly!

Worry about the ripped hole in Spacetime later.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

BoosterDuck posted:

I don't know about 11, but in 10 it's under Settings > Themes, and then one of the "old" Control Panel links called "Desktop icon settings."

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

BoosterDuck posted:

Right click on the desktop
Personalize -> Themes -> Desktop icon settings

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
This work in 11, too?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I, against my better judgment, decided that I should try out this windows 11 thing today. After checking the computer with PC Health Checker (which passed) and windows update informing me that my PC does NOT meet the requirements to upgrade to Windows 11, no idea what button I clicked that showed me this microsoft web page:

Deciding that this is definitely a challenge, I therefore upgraded to windows 11 with the Windows11InstallationAssistant.exe application (which strangely does not know to ask for elevated permissions when it needs to, instead just fails horribly). Unfortunately, there was no challenge. It just upgraded, rebooted and went on with it with very few surprises (not zero, let's not get cocky here, but very few).

The new windows, so far, it's round. Kinda that's all there is to it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Heh, you're welcome. It's had that function since Windows 7.

Shift click too

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I've recently installed Windows 11, it seems to be going well, mostly.

Though the other day, when I was playing Valheim, I killed an enemy and my computer crashed. It crashed so bad that when I tried to turn it back on it didn't get past the boot screen, I couldn't even get into BIOS. I had to open it up and try disconnecting things and trying again until it worked. Turned out that when I disconnected and reconnected my M2 SSD, then things worked again.

I don't know if this was the fault of Windows 11, Valheim, or my SSD, but now my friends are wary of installing Win 11, lol.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If you couldn't even get into the BIOS then it wasn't Windows, no.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

HJE-Cobra posted:

Though the other day, when I was playing Valheim, I killed an enemy and my computer crashed. It crashed so bad that when I tried to turn it back on it didn't get past the boot screen, I couldn't even get into BIOS. I had to open it up and try disconnecting things and trying again until it worked. Turned out that when I disconnected and reconnected my M2 SSD, then things worked again.

I don't know if this was the fault of Windows 11, Valheim, or my SSD, but now my friends are wary of installing Win 11, lol.

is it an NVME SSD? Apparently they can get incredibly hot and might need passive cooling. No idea if that's enough to crash your PC though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

HJE-Cobra posted:

That sounds like it has absolutely nothing to do with windows 11 or valheim. Why would either prevent you from POSTing? Windows doesn't do a thing until after the initial boot phase, which your computer wasn't getting past.

The SSD was probably loose somehow, and the partially connected drive was loving things up.

The Grumbles posted:

is it an NVME SSD? Apparently they can get incredibly hot and might need passive cooling. No idea if that's enough to crash your PC though.

Unlikely. They don't get *that* hot, especially not while just doing normal gaming stuff. Typically normal case airflow is enough for SSDs, and when things get too hot they thermally throttle well before they get to the point of overheating.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 11, 2021

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Volguus posted:

I, against my better judgment, decided that I should try out this windows 11 thing today. After checking the computer with PC Health Checker (which passed) and windows update informing me that my PC does NOT meet the requirements to upgrade to Windows 11, no idea what button I clicked that showed me this microsoft web page:

Deciding that this is definitely a challenge, I therefore upgraded to windows 11 with the Windows11InstallationAssistant.exe application (which strangely does not know to ask for elevated permissions when it needs to, instead just fails horribly). Unfortunately, there was no challenge. It just upgraded, rebooted and went on with it with very few surprises (not zero, let's not get cocky here, but very few).

The new windows, so far, it's round. Kinda that's all there is to it.

I had the same thing with one of the family member's computer.

Windows Update said it doesn't meet all the system requirements for Windows 11, but the health check says it does with green checks for everything.
It has an i5-8400 in it and the installation assistant had no trouble upgrading it and everything's been running fine.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Day 3 and no problems so far wth an old as gently caress xeon 1150 socket.
I already deleted all the recommended crap and rearranged the start bar how i had it on w10
Question: there is a way to delete the recommended part of the start bar? It's empty and it bothers me that it still remains there

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Recommended is just recent files, it's should start filling up again once you start opening a bunch of files. I don't think you can remove it, but it's honestly pretty useful.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Alternatively, you just use another windows' start menu system by using StartAllBack: https://www.startallback.com/

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

HJE-Cobra posted:

This is most likely a hardware problem.

Check the health of the disk with crystal disk info. If it looks healthy and you want to keep troubleshooting, run some benchmarks while monitoring the temperature of various things.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Yeah, the SSD isn't even the disk with my Windows installed on it, I dunno what happened but it seems unlikely to be Windows' fault.

Everything seems to work for the moment anyway, I'll have to do checks of the drive at some point.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Alternatively, you just use another windows' start menu system by using StartAllBack: https://www.startallback.com/

This beautiful utility basically fixes the dumb stuff in Windows 11 and also adds a few nice features. I couldn't go back to not using it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

WattsvilleBlues posted:

This beautiful utility basically fixes the dumb stuff in Windows 11 and also adds a few nice features. I couldn't go back to not using it.

Same. I like how it lets you mix and match the different eras/versions. I'm using the start menu that's basically the one from 7, just styled like 11.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Grumbles posted:

No, in a normal PC with adequate ventilation NVMe drives don't need extra cooling. And they certainly don't overheat and then crash your PC / cause boot failure. They just get slow -- the controller on NVMe drives is some variant of ARM and they throttle themselves just like your CPU when overheated.

You may have seen that adding a drive to the PS5 is supposed to use a heatsink. This is because the PS5's drive Bay is a tiny coffin with no airflow. Even a *bad* PC will be better than that.

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.
Updated my i7-8700K rig without a hitch. Played Anno 1800, Streets of Rage 4, good old Hexcells Infinite, everything worked as intended. I'm using Multiplicity for avoiding multiple keyboards/mouses on my desk, worked as before.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I've been struggling to put this issue into words but basically some programs (namely NordVPN and Mod Organizer 2) are cutting my desktop FPS to ~30 when they're in focus. Clicking out of them or just minimizing the window solves the issue, but it's annoying nonetheless.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Cross-Section posted:

I've been struggling to put this issue into words but basically some programs (namely NordVPN and Mod Organizer 2) are cutting my desktop FPS to ~30 when they're in focus. Clicking out of them or just minimizing the window solves the issue, but it's annoying nonetheless.

I think these apps are both html-based. Does it happen with the Discord app too?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

I think these apps are both html-based. Does it happen with the Discord app too?

I don't have it installed, so I couldn't tell you (single tab in Firefox 4lyfe)

edit: I notice Handbrake is exhibiting the same behavior though

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 11, 2021

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I read that Win11 includes support for GUI apps for windows subsystem for linux. Got it up and running with minimal fuss (it gave me trouble pre upgrade) and opened up a text editor window to test the GUI part, and it worked great, without having to manually configure window management or whatever. Then I tried to resize the window and it errored. :v:

Just for yucks I used apt to install all of xfce4 and ran "startxfce4." It...almost worked. (click for big)

I'm not necessarily asking for help, this is mostly a trip report for anyone else who's curious.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
How many of you guys simply updated without doing a clean install? Does it feel slower or more bloated? I don't really want to go through the whole thing of backing up my machine, wiping, and then doing one from a freshly formatted drive.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

henpod posted:

How many of you guys simply updated without doing a clean install? Does it feel slower or more bloated? I don't really want to go through the whole thing of backing up my machine, wiping, and then doing one from a freshly formatted drive.

I upgraded mine on Tuesday and it seems just fine. It was originally a fresh install of Windows 10 I did on new hardware.
My wife's computer has the same MB and processor and I did a fresh install on hers and it seems the same.

I spent more time tweaking her PC to remove things like Groove and some of the other utilities and getting the file associations set.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I read that Win11 includes support for GUI apps for windows subsystem for linux. Got it up and running with minimal fuss (it gave me trouble pre upgrade) and opened up a text editor window to test the GUI part, and it worked great, without having to manually configure window management or whatever. Then I tried to resize the window and it errored. :v:

Just for yucks I used apt to install all of xfce4 and ran "startxfce4." It...almost worked. (click for big)

I'm not necessarily asking for help, this is mostly a trip report for anyone else who's curious.

Extremely gross but also kind of cool.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

henpod posted:

I did upgrades on both my desktop and laptop and they seem just fine.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Icept posted:

Extremely gross but also kind of cool.

Yeah that was basically my conclusion. VirtualBox has a "seamless mode" where you can have the taskbar of the virtualized environment added to the host desktop, and have windows open for both. I know you could do something similar on Win10 wsl through a, uh, somewhat more involved process that required a couple external installations. If Win11 gets to the point where you can do the same with just two commands that'd be a hell of a thing.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 12, 2021

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
May be coincidence and simply luck, but my surface pro 6 has not randomly dismounted the SD card requiring me to pp it out and back in since I updated to Windows 11.

That was a frequent issue across both my old pro 4 and the pro 6.

So nice it finally got fixed after years of it being a known issue.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I completely loving forgot there was even a msd slot in the drat things.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm experiencing a sporadic issue in Edge where I can't click anything in the bottom left area of the screen.

In the past this happened because Slack had an invisible notification, but that doesn't seem to be the cause this time. Anyone experience this?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Windows 11: (I’ve been goatse’d and Rick Rolled for decades now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
just installed the first w11 patch, no problem so far.