Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I finally bought a new figure that isn't a Mythic Legion.

I got the Super 7 Ultimates: Ghost - Papa Emeritus I. He comes with two looks, the black & silver and the white & gold. The downside is that the silver thurible (metal incense burner) has chains that are tangled up so it doesn't look that great. Unfortunately I don't think there's anyway to fix it without taking apart the tiny chains, and I'd rather not. Overall I'm digging the figure especially for the Halloween season

This weekend I also ordered the Super 7 Ultimates King Diamond figure from a toy site I've never heard of. I hope it's legit because BBTS and Entertainment Earth was sold out. I used Paypal so I'll cross my fingers.

https://toyshnip.com/products/king-diamond-ultimates-action-figure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon
Jun 8, 2006
In Space

Grant DaNasty posted:

I finally bought a new figure that isn't a Mythic Legion.

I got the Super 7 Ultimates: Ghost - Papa Emeritus I. He comes with two looks, the black & silver and the white & gold. The downside is that the silver thurible (metal incense burner) has chains that are tangled up so it doesn't look that great. Unfortunately I don't think there's anyway to fix it without taking apart the tiny chains, and I'd rather not. Overall I'm digging the figure especially for the Halloween season

That's amazing, love Ghost, didn't know they had made any figures!

My wife and I rewatched DBS recently and I got some new desk friends. I gotta be careful not to go overboard but already preordered the Androids and Kefla from the Tournament of Power too.

Recently been selling off a lot of my MCU Marvel Legends, at the time I was trying to be a completionist and get them all to have the whole team, but they don't really spark joy anymore. Gonna try to keep my collection to just characters I like going forward.

Anyone else fall into this trap?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Me. I quit really early, around when GotG2 came out because they released 2 more Star-Lords and I was like, "okay, this is gonna be problematic long term" and I just dropped them entirely and only collect the iconic comic looks that I really like of the characters I like. Still ends up being way too many figures.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fuckin’ quitter. Typical behavior from a quitting quitter who quits. :colbert:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

The Moon posted:

That's amazing, love Ghost, didn't know they had made any figures!

My wife and I rewatched DBS recently and I got some new desk friends. I gotta be careful not to go overboard but already preordered the Androids and Kefla from the Tournament of Power too.

Recently been selling off a lot of my MCU Marvel Legends, at the time I was trying to be a completionist and get them all to have the whole team, but they don't really spark joy anymore. Gonna try to keep my collection to just characters I like going forward.

Anyone else fall into this trap?

I sold off a huge chunk of my Dragon Ball Figuarts collection in 2019 because I was running out of space for them (until we converted our spare bedrooms into offices) and also because I was just grabbing every single one without any real thought of whether I liked the characters or not.

Flash forward to the pandemic and I re-bought a lot of them (many at a mark up, of course) but I'm at least being much more selective in which ones I get this time around. 2020-2021 was the perfect storm of too much time and money on my hands to not collect a bunch of stupid poo poo.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Went to NYCC and got another Goku.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Pics ain't loading

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Post that fuckin' Goku

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
My Masterverse Sewer Urchin Spikor arrived today from Amazon. The outer and inner boxes were absolutely smashed. The figure and accessories survived, but only by a hair. Any more pressure from whatever smashed the box would have crushed the figure's legs and snapped the spikes on the hand poker dealy.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Blue-but-also-red Goku is finally up on p-bandai https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2592720001001. Delivery is in April and the site is currently not crashing so it might be easy to get one? I got my order in quickly.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

got mine too, very excited for goku number 4

Endless Mike posted:

Post that fuckin' Goku
thread title

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Nice, I'm happy that was super easy!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Not directly toy related but since I have many Gokus and several friends of Goku on order, what is the best way to watch or read any Dragon Ball if I haven't watched it in 20 years?

e: I watched it when Toonami was originally airing it and having to cycle over and over with what had been localized. I've seen Z up through the Cell games but that's basically it.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 11, 2021

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Best way to watch Dragonball Z is definitely Kai. Not sure if its on any streaming service, maybe Funimation?

I think I would have every major Goku form released so far if I had managed to get a SSJ3 preorder. Oh, I guess I'm missing UI Omen too.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Best way to experience Dragon Ball is to read the manga until the end of Z. It’s all available on the Shonen Jump app which is a paltry $1.99 a month. Seriously, Toriyama’s art and draftsmanship is still one of the gold standards of manga 35+ years later, and the manga has none of the drawn-out filler and endless screaming of the anime.

But if you need to see it all animated, watch Deagon Ball, then Dragon Ball Kai on the Funimation app. Cuts out the majority of the filler and cleans up the art, though sometimes to its detriment. But I’ll take that over sitting through dozens of episodes where like one thing happens while people power up, or entirely made up (often terrible) sideplots and side characters are introduced.

Then for Super, you want to watch the Battle of Gods and Resurrection F theatrical movies rather than the television redos. The theatrical versions are better animated and also not a slog with how drawn out they are. Then you can switch to the TV series until the end of the Tournament of Power, where you can watch the 2018 Broly movie. Finally, there are two arcs of the Super manga that haven’t been animated at all, so you can read those as well. Also available on the Shonen Jump app.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Post that fuckin' Goku

:downs:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I take it we'll get pictures of Goku stuffing his face now that they're releasing a meal set for the figures.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
That’s been out for a while and it’s pretty great. :)

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I have a Piccolo and Gohan. I'll get a Vegeta eventually. But Goku? No, good dads only.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Nanigans posted:

But if you need to see it all animated, watch Deagon Ball, then Dragon Ball Kai on the Funimation app.

Doesn't look like Kai is on Funimation any longer unless I'm looking at the wrong thing. I don't use Funimation much...

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Really? I only had the app with a free preview once, but it was on there then.

But yeah, looks like it’s been taken down. Definitely worth looking into files for it, then. It cuts the series from 297 episodes to 167.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh Kai is a reanimated Z? I stopped after the original manga run so never really saw it. Neat.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
It’s a remaster, not a full reanimated version. They rerecorded the dialogue and cleaned up the footage, but also censored some of the blood and added some new digital redraws that are distracting. It’s minor overall, and definitely not egregious enough to keep anyone from watching it over the original.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Honestly I probably haven't watched any DB episodes since getting occasional bootlegs from Japan on VHS in the 80s so no big loss. But I should probably have a look anyway.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Tournament of Power in DragonBall Super was a lot of fun. Just constant non stop fights with a wide variety of characters. All the Ultra Instinct stuff was extremely hype.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Every time I learn about a new Goku

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/super7store/status/1447593594710286338

Dragonzord!

gently caress yes, I've been waiting for this all my life

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nanigans posted:

It’s a remaster, not a full reanimated version. They rerecorded the dialogue and cleaned up the footage, but also censored some of the blood and added some new digital redraws that are distracting. It’s minor overall, and definitely not egregious enough to keep anyone from watching it over the original.

I’m totally new to all this, but I recently bought the older blu seasons sets that have the big connected mural on the cover. Are those essentially a cleaned-up version of the original Toonami broadcast? I knew about Kai, but I really wanted whatever was closest to what I watched as a dumb kid.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m totally new to all this, but I recently bought the older blu seasons sets that have the big connected mural on the cover. Are those essentially a cleaned-up version of the original Toonami broadcast? I knew about Kai, but I really wanted whatever was closest to what I watched as a dumb kid.

I think so? I mean, if it doesn’t say Kai anywhere on the box, then yeah. It might have the “new” Funimation dub as opposed to the Ocean dub + original Funimation dub. I heard the transfer on that Bluray was pretty bad and warped the colors and cropped the images some. But, I mean it’s mostly the same and that kinda stuff is only gonna bother purists and super hardcore fans.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though it should be said the one you have it like twice the length of Kai

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though it should be said the one you have it like twice the length of Kai

I am prepared for filler :getin:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
20 year old memories but I recall a lot of DBZ filler being genuine time wasting and stuff like watching a character charge up for like 5 episodes. I'm reading the Sailor Moon manga now and its interesting how they cut it into monster of the week with very few episodes in a season driving the main plot (which really gets lot most of the time) for the original anime. Each episode still felt more substantial since it gave time for the characters to do whatever, destroy the monster and resolve the week's villain plot.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nanigans posted:

I think so? I mean, if it doesn’t say Kai anywhere on the box, then yeah. It might have the “new” Funimation dub as opposed to the Ocean dub + original Funimation dub. I heard the transfer on that Bluray was pretty bad and warped the colors and cropped the images some. But, I mean it’s mostly the same and that kinda stuff is only gonna bother purists and super hardcore fans.

What I would give for them to do a Blu-Ray release of the the Ocean dub for the first three DBZ movies, the newer dubs Funimation did for them are just terrible in comparison, it's weird too as most of the other early stuff they redubbed came out reasonably fine(well besides the abomination that is the voice they use for Recoome)

Dragon Ball as a franchise is one of the few anime franchises where I'm English dub only(usually I'm the opposite in fact), just can't stand Goku's Japanese voice

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, ew.

Star Ace apparently got the license for The Boys, and holy poo poo does that suck. They released a prototype Homelander pic that looks horrible, and the Butcher figure is basically a somewhat crappier version of the one I already own from SooSoo. It comes with sunglasses though, so I might have to pick those up at a parts sale.

Best part? $300 for the Butcher one. I paid something like $220? for the SooSoo one. That license cannot cost that much. Methinks I'll stick with the bootleg options. Better looking, and easier on the wallet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The soosoo butcher looks astounding. If I’m gonna get one it would be that. (But I probably won’t. )

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh, ew.

Star Ace apparently got the license for The Boys, and holy poo poo does that suck. They released a prototype Homelander pic that looks horrible, and the Butcher figure is basically a somewhat crappier version of the one I already own from SooSoo. It comes with sunglasses though, so I might have to pick those up at a parts sale.

Best part? $300 for the Butcher one. I paid something like $220? for the SooSoo one. That license cannot cost that much. Methinks I'll stick with the bootleg options. Better looking, and easier on the wallet.

It's $260, the $300 is a Deluxe.

$40 premium for the actual license instead of a bootleg's not that bad really. The face is definitely recognizably Karl Urban but not as good as the Soosoo.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Nanigans posted:

Dragon ballz.

Thanks for this, I'll probably end up subbing to funimation.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bootleg looks good tho

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I love Grandma Goku, but I can accept that it’s an acquired taste. American (Funimation) Vegeta, however, I can’t stand. Which is weird since I like his (Chris Sabbat’s) Piccolo, Yamcha and All Might just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

It's $260, the $300 is a Deluxe.

$40 premium for the actual license instead of a bootleg's not that bad really. The face is definitely recognizably Karl Urban but not as good as the Soosoo.

Ah, I went back through my receipts and the soosoo ran me 190 for the deluxe (or whatever option came with the laser baby). I just hit the star ace site and chose buy it now, and it showed me butcher. Didn't see options for deluxe or normal.

If the star ace deluxe was around 250 for the deluxe that'd make a bit more sense price wise. Even sideshow keeps their (normal) star wars figures in the 250 range and I know that license has gotta run more than this one does. No amount of cash is gonna get me to buy that homelander though. It looks like a (bad) prop toy from the show, weirdly enough.