Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

listening to the concert right now and it's fantastic. there's so much variety to how they mixed up the music, it's really one of the better performances i've seen

still really weird to hear the vineyard music and the winery music. i really think they should've just used actual greensleeves and canon in d for those areas, the way they remixed them for the game just sounds.... off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I ignore a lot of the random quests that pop up but nothing makes me drop everything I'm doing like Feed the Puppy.

Yeah the concert was great and one of the better anniversary celebrations I've seen.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
How are you supposed to play Childe?

I did his story mission to try him out, but he seems kind of difficult to use? There's 12 second+ cooldown between switching between melee and ranged? And using his ultimate automatically puts you back into ranged mode even if you were in melee stance?

Also bows tend to have lower base attack, right? So if you're using Childe mostly in melee mode, and you're using a 4* bow, won't his damage be lower than a melee-only character?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Boat Stuck posted:

I did his story mission to try him out, but he seems kind of difficult to use? There's 12 second+ cooldown between switching between melee and ranged? And using his ultimate automatically puts you back into ranged mode even if you were in melee stance?

Also bows tend to have lower base attack, right? So if you're using Childe mostly in melee mode, and you're using a 4* bow, won't his damage be lower than a melee-only character?

Weapons all tend to have the same amounts of base attack. Bow characters have lower scaling on their attacks, which is what you're feeling. Childe's E changes his scaling when attacking. Childe has no CD when swapping to melee form for the first time, but the longer he stays in melee form, the longer the CD is to use his skill again, when you swap back to bow. Childe has two bursts depending on which form you're in, neither burst automatically changes his stance.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

AParadox posted:

I though I could finally 9* abyss 12 with duos only but apparently the specters from 12-1-2 are a greater raid boss than PMA or maguu kenki will ever be...

I have no idea how to deal with them beyond having 1 extra minute to spare from a fast clear on 12-1-1. They are way too tanky and I don't know if there is a way to group them up. I'll have to try this again in a different abyss or when hu tao C1 drops.

I have the opposite problem. I was trying to do it with 4 star characters and 4 star weapons. I could probably do it if I wanted to spend the time but no healer or shield on Maguu Kenki is rough.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Boat Stuck posted:

Bennet burst -> Xiangling things -> flex slot things -> Childe burst vape then waterswords for ~7s vaping XL's Q

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Boat Stuck posted:

Childe basically isn't designed to be your main/only damage dealer.
He's best paired with characters like Beidou and Fischl (and Raiden) to generate a billion reactions per second off of his hydro attack spam. You'll have Childe out hittin' stuff the majority of the time and sort of being the glue holding the team together, but the damage will come from off-field sub-DPSes. I think you can throw a Xiangling or later Thoma in there too. Maybe Xingqiu IDK too much about Childe teambuilding.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Boat Stuck posted:

Childe is a very unique character in the fact that he's incredibly flexible when it comes to team comps and roles he can play (alongside the whole ranged/melee stance swapping system), but there's been a ton of weird misinformation or outdated info spread because a lot of people skipped him when he first came out (because zhongli) and he's very, very complex (how you play him depends a bit on your team comp, level of investment, etc) as well as requiring a bit of technical knowledge to take full advantage of his kit. Tbh I'd argue he has one of the highest learning curves of all the 5*s because of this, but that's part of why I main him, because he's very fun to play once you get him down.

He's not a hypercarry DPS who is the majority of the DPS for the team like a lot of other dps units, but he increases the damage dealt from his teammates and can shift between enabler, main dps, burst dps, sub-carry, etc; based on what your team comp is. he has really fast hydro application that can enable supports, he has a really low energy requirement if you only use his ranged burst, he has a lot of creative rotation flexibility and allows a lot of different comps to work, but he's VERY team centric in turn and you have to think differently when building him because his fast hydro application actually makes it hard for supports to enable him in turn (this is why kazuha is his best friend, because kazuha's ult gets around this and enables him really easily with the right elemental application). Also he doesn't have a plunge attack in melee stance. Why? Who knows! :v:

You generally don't want to be using his normal attack very much because it's not going to be great damage with no phys % buffs, most of his damage comes from hydro element damage. generally if you're in downtime you're either using his charged shots to keep applying riptide mark/hydro/set up hydro VV, or you're using another character as a gapfill to generate energy again; a lot of people assume since he has downtime that you want a second carry, but this is actually counterintuitive because it causes your team to lose synergy (and therefore, dps) because you're using up a team slot that could instead go to someone with synergy that increases the overall DPS. while you're in cooldown waiting for his melee to come back you're better off setting up reactions, generating energy, or using skills/bursts (usually as a lead-in to switching into his melee stance as the "finisher" damage). If you're going electro, you'll probably want to run fischl so oz can generate energy for beidou; if you're going pyro, use bennet to funnel pyro into xiangling, etc. childe's ranged ult is cheaper to use, faster to use, fine to use in downtime, easier to vaporize, and more consistent in rotations, but less damage compared to his melee ult (which scales higher and can be used to burst clear waves of enemies), so you have to develop situational awareness on when to ult with him. as far as his energy goes, childe can generate energy whenever he triggers riptides, but you can't go faster than once every three seconds, which, including hitlag and attack animations, means you can get it every like 4 seconds or so at max rotation. with charged shots just assume its once every other riptide.

For artifacts, Heart of Depths was basically tailormade for him, and you want the 4pc especially when you're still learning him. Some end-game abyss players use 2pc HoD and then a 2pc from something like Glad or Shimenawa for consistent burst damage, but 4pc HoD is honestly fine enough. Hydro damage Goblet, Crit Rate/Damage Circlet, Atk%/EM Sands. As for weapons, the battle pass bow is the best 4* for him, only beaten by the 5*s, but if you can't get that the Blackcliff bow you can buy with starglitter is a really good other option, albeit a bit inconsistent with gaining stacks; Rust was advertised as being a good pair with him (and a lot of people think its still best for him) but it's actually really average since you don't want to be doing a lot of normal attacks with him if you want the best amount of DPS; this is also why Hamayumi is pretty average for him too (plus the energy effect is useless if your rotation uses his ranged burst before you shift into melee stance). Prototype Crescent is a better option, even on Childe.

The two most common team builds for Childe are vape and electro; for vape, its basically Childe/Xiangling/Flex/Bennett (Flex being an Anemo character, preferably Kaz, Venti, or Sucrose, though you can use Zhongli, XQ, or Albedo to great effect too); for electro, its Childe/Beidou/ELECTRO/Bennett, with the Electro preferably being Fischl, though Sara is actually surprisingly useful here since she's a better battery and buffs team DPS. Freeze comps are unfortunately pretty rough right now and only considered for fun or messing around, and Hydro comps basically require you to have Mona or a super built XQ and the damage ceiling is low. My team comp is Childe/Zhongli/Kaz/Bennet, because I use ZL's shield to shred defense/ult to halt enemies, bennett's ult to heal and generate a pyro zone, kaz's ult to suck up the pyro/skill to bring enemies in, and then Childe's ult into melee stance to get vape procs off of every attack with his hydro daggers. It clears most content pretty easily :v:

Sorry for the million paragraphs but I hope this is somewhat helpful

edit: i just now saw that you don't actually own him and were doing the trial :doh: but hey maybe this will help someone who DOES own him lol

Mix. fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 11, 2021

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

As someone building a tazer team with Childe, I found it helpful! With regards to Rust, I thought his hits in melee counted as "normals" for him and thus benefited from Rust's passive?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mailer posted:

So about artifact farming...

I still only use random gladiator artifacts on my team :shobon:

TBH I will probably quit before I do any artifact domains for months for nothing.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

Boat Stuck posted:

He IS pretty complicated to use, compared to someone like Ayaka or Hu Tao, but not really by that much. The most tl;dr summary is: Childe is an onfield enabler for Xiangling and Beidou/Fischl. He applies Hydro very quickly for Xiangling to Vaporize or to activate Beidou/Fischl's abilities. You use Bennet's Q, then your other supports' abilities, then Childe's bow Q, then switch to melee stance and attack for 8 or 9 seconds, then switch to Bennett to spam his skill for energy.

It definitely takes some time to get used to, and with practice you'll figure out more advanced things like when to stay in melee stance longer or when to use your melee Q. If you're interested in the very NOT tl;dr summary, there's a very good updated Google Docs guide to Childe here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1giYCSZYsKEuu6QLuHPtQjMZGhbwD79vEu7SL91oXOXY/

Edit: beaten by half the forum. But the guide is good!

Space Opera posted:

As someone building a tazer team with Childe, I found it helpful! With regards to Rust, I thought his hits in melee counted as "normals" for him and thus benefited from Rust's passive?

Yes, his melee attacks are "Normal Attack Damage." However, the attack he does when he changes to melee is "Elemental Skill Damage." This is important to know if you're interested in his new 5 star bow, since you need to do burst, skill, normal, and charged attack damage to get the full benefit. I have no idea whatsoever if it affects his Riptide stuff. I've been maining him since his first release and still have no idea what any of them are classified as, or even their names.

MoonCrab fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 11, 2021

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Does stringless do anything for his skill or is it all melee attacks not affected by the stringless modifier?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Space Opera posted:

they do, but they also hurt your dps somewhat because of the reduction in charge attacks, so there's a tradeoff; rust is only the consistently better option if you have an R3+ Rust, otherwise Viri is better because of its crit rate stat boost and the fact that its passive draws enemies in which is way better for Childe's riptide application. There's arguments for both depending on the rest of your team comp (and honestly its good to have options) but Viri has no downside to using it so it's a better baseline option (that isnt gacha reliant)

Sanctum posted:

Does stringless do anything for his skill or is it all melee attacks not affected by the stringless modifier?

if you're going hard on burst dps for him then it's a good option at like R3+, but its lower compared to other 4* bows for standard dps team comps

Mix. fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 11, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

iirc the tiny AOE hit he does when activating his skill does get the skill bonus from Stringless, but that's it

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

Sanctum posted:

Stringless and Rust are actually perfectly mutually exclusive. Anything one of them affects, the other will not. Stringless boosts his stance change and burst, Rust boosts his bow and melee normals and lowers his bow and melee charged attacks. Again I have 0 idea about the riptide stuff sorry.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Mix. posted:

Sorry for the million paragraphs but I hope this is somewhat helpful

edit: i just now saw that you don't actually own him and were doing the trial :doh: but hey maybe this will help someone who DOES own him lol

This is really helpful, in that it's beginning to dissuade me from rolling for him in the next banner.

I am at 75 soft pity + 15 pulls + 7000 primos saved up (couldn't get Raiden in time, skipped Kokomi), but aren't sure about pulling for Childe, so I decided to do his character quest to see how he plays, and it seems he's definitely a more complicated character to use.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

If it's any consolation I think he's a blast to play because of how fluid and rotation-based the team is :v: But that's just my XIV experience talking

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Mix. posted:

they do, but they also hurt your dps somewhat because of the reduction in charge attacks, so there's a tradeoff; rust is only the consistently better option if you have an R3+ Rust, otherwise Viri is better because of its crit rate stat boost and the fact that its passive draws enemies in which is way better for Childe's riptide application. There's arguments for both depending on the rest of your team comp (and honestly its good to have options) but Viri has no downside to using it so it's a better baseline option (that isnt gacha reliant)

if you're going hard on burst dps for him then it's a good option at like R3+, but its lower compared to other 4* bows for standard dps team comps

I only JUST realized it impacts his melee charge in addition to his bow charge. Looks like my Childe is going to stick with his Viri, thanks!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/GenshinImpact/status/1447388986926792708?s=20

pre update notes are up. looks like we don't get the big event until second week of the patch, and it requires being up to date on Archon Quests, for some reason...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

quote:

6. New items at NPC Marjorie's store in Mondstadt: Windblume Festival Commemorative Balloon, Windsong Lyre, and Wind-Blessed Harpastum are currently available for purchase.
Cool for any later joiners.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I need to stop wandering around then and actually finish the Archon quests

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Mix. posted:

If it's any consolation I think he's a blast to play because of how fluid and rotation-based the team is :v: But that's just my XIV experience talking

Yeah it took a bit to figure out how to use Childe but your big post nailed it and the teams he's a part of are so much fun if you like switching. Plus he's a five star that really doesn't need his constellations at all to fill his role.

Plus after having since him since his initial run his dramatic scarf on the wind idle animation still makes me snort occasionally.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 11, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/lumie_lumie/status/1447398392766816259?s=20

since we finally have the preload, this should be accurate to the actual banner. pretty meh!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
dammit, I need both Yanfei and Chongyun constellations. *sigh* now I know I'm going to have 2 of the 3 4 tars on Hu tao's banner.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Didn't we literally just have those 3 on Ayaka's banner? I dumped 150+ wishes on that banner. Well gently caress... I do use Chongyun and Yanfei. I don't like them, but I use them.

Childe might just be too edgy and cool for me after all. So Hu Tao is really as good as people make her to be?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you want to be pure gamer, xingling and Bennet are all the fire you need.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Another weapon banner, another geo weapon stinking it up. Hope nobody buys it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the new bow is ugly and i don't know why it has caused such a stir

its a shame they've actually made some very nice 4* for these banners. and especially splitting the claymore and bow...the spear looks rather underwhelming so i wish it was the solo one on this banner

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

dont really care for either of those banners yeah

Sanctum posted:

Didn't we literally just have those 3 on Ayaka's banner? I dumped 150+ wishes on that banner. Well gently caress... I do use Chongyun and Yanfei. I don't like them, but I use them.

Childe might just be too edgy and cool for me after all. So Hu Tao is really as good as people make her to be?

shes pretty good for dealing with bosses and similar high hp enemies if you're looking for something like that. doesn't require any other pyro characters so it makes teambuilding easier.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Sanctum posted:

So Hu Tao is really as good as people make her to be?

At C0 with a 4*? She's ok, but you need to get used to timing your jump cancels. With C1 or a Homa she creeps Diluc. I think (could be very wrong here) with C1 and Homa she creeps XL.

She does consume XQ, though, so I'd probably hold off until the inevitable Vape Hu Tao vs Raiden National comparison comes up.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

I was 50% right on cryo+electro for Childe. Nonetheless, looks like I am not rolling on Childe.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That's literally Ayaka's banner (Ningguang Yanfei Chongyun). Kind of weird you'd never run any of them with him. The Childe weapon is equal or a little worse than Thundering Pulse on Childe (assuming you're using Bennett, which you are), Childe comps don't benefit a huge amount from giving him an op weapon anyways, and it fundamentally can't be right for anyone else so idk what they're going for here putting a completely unwanted rate up geo series weapon alongside it.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 11, 2021

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

These banners are terrible. Maybe Mihoyo was told to make its game crappier.

I'd have considered rolling if Bennett was on thr banner. Now definitely skipping, again.

Probably also skipping Hu Tao. drat I'm going to have 20k primos by the time I can roll again.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sanctum posted:

Hu Tao takes alot of investment to be OP, but she has severeal levels of investment and just keeps getting better at each tier. She really wants we talents to be at least 8. They scale off each other, but the scaling takes awhile to get to the eye popping numbers. She also wants her C1, and a staff of homa, for even more eye popping damage.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wish I could get Chongyun and Yanfei on a banner I actually want to wish on, as it stands, I don't really care super much about getting Childe, even though his talent's pretty nice to have so I can't wish on this one in good conscience with a C6 Ningguang.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Radical posted:

dont really care for either of those banners yeah

shes pretty good for dealing with bosses and similar high hp enemies if you're looking for something like that. doesn't require any other pyro characters so it makes teambuilding easier.

You really do want a second pyro with her. Hu tao only applies pyro during her skill and swapping off of her ends it early, so you can't use VV res shred at all without another pyro unit.
If you use Zhongli for res shred instead of an Anemo character you can get around this problem but not everyone has him

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

ah yeah if you dont own zhongli then thoma is on the banner, i was thinking that but forgot to actually write it

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

I'm not suuuper excited for this banner, was really hoping for Bennett, but at least if I roll on it I'm guaranteed constellations for three characters I'm at C0 with to build glitter for when he's in the store next, plus I get what sounds like a pretty good hydro DPS, plus I can finally get that Ningguang C1 for aoe normals? I'm seriously considering rolling on it. Hu Tao doesn't really interest me since I won't get more than C0 with her and my leveled Diluc is already handcuffed to XQ.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

dogsicle posted:

https://twitter.com/lumie_lumie/status/1447398392766816259?s=20

since we finally have the preload, this should be accurate to the actual banner. pretty meh!

Woo! A banner I can 100% skip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

when's the inevitable Raiden rerun? Maybe I'll horde primos until that