Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

site posted:

how the gently caress did you get all the way to the wide beam without the morph ball
this... is the normal order?? did you not get wide beam before morph ball???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Going through the previous areas to get as many missiles to shove up the final bosses’ rear end items as I can. Aside from bosses hitting a bit too hard this is a real good game, and we are probably going to see some insane speed runs on this.

Any Shinespark puzzle tips in general? Like, is there an item I am missing that makes speed boost charge faster or shinespark charges to last longer?

In general, if it looks like there's not enough room to build up speed booster for a random shine spark block, you should be looking for the nearest room where you can do so, and figuring out how to get from there to the original room while saving the momentum.

Some related tips:
- You maintain speed boost state while wall jumping, sliding, and sliding into morph ball
- You can shine spark into slopes (including during morph ball) horizontally to enter speed boost again
- Shine spark works diagonally as well
- Often, you only need to break one speed block to make it easier the next try. Sometimes breaking one block will break all of the ones in the same chunk. Other times, breaking a speed block unlocks an area where you can perform a charge more easily.
- During speed boost and shine spark, you also break beam blocks, so don't worry about those getting in the way.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Eopia posted:

The game has a ton of sequence breaks, most of which are intentional although a couple require an outright glitch. For example you can get early super missiles as soon as you have speedbooster, this is intentional. You can get early grapple beam and bombs before Kraid, or just early grapple after Kraid. You can use a glitch to skip the boss in Bhurenia, you can get Cross Bombs long before you have screw attack or space jump, you can get Gravity Suit before you ever set foot in Ferenia, which leads to getting Screw Attack early which the Storm Missile boss is actually weak against. In fact, there's never a point in time you're required to get Space Jump at all, you can make do with wall jumps, shinesparks, and infinite bomb jumps.

Fighting Raven Beak without Space Jump is something I very much never want to do

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I'm up to the purple bug boss that kicked my rear end immediately.

So far I really like all the bosses. I feel like I need to think about their patterns way more than in any other Metroid game, where you just shoot them until they die.

Kinda weirded out by double jump powerup because it's clearly going to be obsolete soon.

EMMIs are also getting more dangerous, which I like. I actually had to hide from the last one I encountered. Before that, the preferred tactic was to let it know that I'm nearby and just run.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Amppelix posted:

this... is the normal order?? did you not get wide beam before morph ball???

No, it's late and that was a my bad. I was mistaking wide beam for wave beam

Slip
Jan 20, 2001
this game is loving dope

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I didn't play Samus Returns but the combat style of this game reminds me a lot of Shadow Complex, which I happened to replay a few months ago. That game was obviously designed to be a Metroidvania but also had the 3d environments, laser aim/shoot in any direction, and mobility addons where you go from walking around normally to flying through levels and killing everything you see.

Hopefully the success of this game gets Nintendo to keep making this type of Metroid game, and inspires others to make similar shooty Metroidvanias.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

DTaeKim posted:

For those who are struggling with the E.M.M.I. timing, a YouTube video I found said the timing window itself is randomized, so there is absolutely no consistency between game overs. You're better off looking at your map BEFORE you enter the zones and study the exits.

I have no idea why they did that. It's not like you really lose anything from it catching you other than having it drop you off outside its lair. Even just dropping the grabbing part of the cut scene and have it kill you in less than second would at least speed up the sequence.

I've bitten it so many times that it feels more like a mario bros game jumping over a really difficult obstacle course rather than a resident evil type horrific end.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I have no idea why they did that. It's not like you really lose anything from it catching you other than having it drop you off outside its lair. Even just dropping the grabbing part of the cut scene and have it kill you in less than second would at least speed up the sequence.

I've bitten it so many times that it feels more like a mario bros game jumping over a really difficult obstacle course rather than a resident evil type horrific end.

The real gameplay of the EMMI sections is keeping you on your toes while navigating an area you've never been to. If they made the counter stuff easier, that defeats the point, since you can just counter and explore at your leisure. They put it in as more of a last chance mechanic. It's not like the respawn is significantly longer with the cutscene. You already have a loading screen to wait for after you die anyway.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Just Andi Now posted:

The real gameplay of the EMMI sections is keeping you on your toes while navigating an area you've never been to. If they made the counter stuff easier, that defeats the point, since you can just counter and explore at your leisure. They put it in as more of a last chance mechanic. It's not like the respawn is significantly longer with the cutscene. You already have a loading screen to wait for after you die anyway.

I'm remembering subnautica below zero where getting caught by the big bad was just expected and wasn't really a threat, vs the first game where it truly had some pants crapping moments. There isn't really a ton you can do to avoid getting caught other than to know which path to take. Even with the stealth cloak,.I think it's only saved my bacon twice or so. When you find out it has you cornered, it's going to touch you no matter what you do.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Reading through this thread, I'm surprised how many people struggled with bosses and mini-bosses.
I'm not trying to come off as a pro gamer here, and the second boss definitely gave me some trouble, but with repeated miniboss, in particular, you can just airdash above them every time they get ready for the attack and nothing will hit you ever.
Purple Bug was overwhelming, but, thankfully, had no HP. Got to the new boss and now I have to go to work. I was a bit lukewarm on this game, but the changes to the world and expanded arsenal made it so so so much more fun. Can't wait to see how EMMIs evolve, too. Last one was actually pretty threatening!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
finished the game with 100% of items, in conclusion, game kicks rear end. Final boss was extremely kickass, 10/10.

i have no goddamn idea how i'm gonna beat hard mode in under 4 hours considering it took me 12 hours to finish this time. definitely gonna get early bombs for that one boss cutscene

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I finished the game tonight. It was great overall. I struggled on some of the boss fights but they were still the right amount of challenging, and it was nice you never lost too much progress when dying. I might've been a bit underpowered, I didn't spend too much time looking for energy tanks or anything. I finished in about 7 hours.

I hated the EMMI bots though. I probably could've used the cloak more for EMMI sections but dealing with the EMMI bots was just not fun overall.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Knowing where to go will easily cut the time in half or more and the rewards are based on in-game time which doesn't count certain events (usually load times, room transitions, cutscenes, etc) so it doesn't seem too bad. If it doesn't count the time you spent on failed boss fights and only the final success that would be amazing, but there's always save scumming.

What exactly does hard mode do, anyway? I imagine the usual more enemy damage and more enemy health, but what about extra enemy spawns or altered boss patterns? Tighter QTE windows?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
an update on my super metroid playthrough: this boss on the wrecked ship sucks rear end and its terrible that you're supposed to run all the loving way back through the water platforming and all that every time you die, especially since there's no way to recharge health/ammo on the ship other than grinding out enemies

going to use a save state for this one, which i feel kind of bad about but i do not have the time for this. otoh everything else about this game so far has been great, i think if they ever wanted to re-release it they should just add like 2 or 3 more save points and ideally make them recharge your health/ammo and call it a day

e: okay i did beat phantoon on my second try without loading a save state but i cannot deny the possibility that the psychological comfort of knowing that i had a save state kept me from panicing, allowing me to more calmly fight this dumbass ghost

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 11, 2021

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Swilo posted:

What exactly does hard mode do, anyway? I imagine the usual more enemy damage and more enemy health, but what about extra enemy spawns or altered boss patterns? Tighter QTE windows?
As far as I've gleaned nothing much more than the bare minimum of the usual first two bits.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

abraham linksys posted:

an update on my super metroid playthrough: this boss on the wrecked ship sucks rear end and its terrible that you're supposed to run all the loving way back through the water platforming and all that every time you die, especially since there's no way to recharge health/ammo on the ship other than grinding out enemies

going to use a save state for this one, which i feel kind of bad about but i do not have the time for this. otoh everything else about this game so far has been great, i think if they ever wanted to re-release it they should just add like 2 or 3 more save points and ideally make them recharge your health/ammo and call it a day

e: okay i did beat phantoon on my second try without loading a save state but i cannot deny the possibility that the psychological comfort of knowing that i had a save state kept me from panicing, allowing me to more calmly fight this dumbass ghost

Phantoon is the hardest boss in SM. Congrats on getting the Gravity suit, you can now collect something like 80% of the games items.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Phantoon is the hardest boss in SM. Congrats on getting the Gravity suit, you can now collect something like 80% of the games items.

That's not true Ridley is the hardest boss. Phantoon is pretty drat easy.

Speaking of Ridley, I want another fight with him in a Dread like game. Him not being here feels off. Maybe give Dread an update that gives a new area in that large empty space on the global map with a Ridley fight.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's not true Ridley is the hardest boss. Phantoon is pretty drat easy.

Speaking of Ridley, I want another fight with him in a Dread like game. Him not being here feels off. Maybe give Dread an update that gives a new area in that large empty space on the global map with a Ridley fight.

Phantoon is easy as long as you know to never use a Super Missile on him.

Things get very dicey, very quickly if you ever shoot him with a super.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i know some people in the thread have been down on them, but i have to say, i really like the EMMI. Even though i know they're not that hard to avoid, and they'll remove like, a minute of progress at most, they're really good at setting the atmosphere and making my heart race

also i'm really glad that A: they can be countered, and B: countering is hard

if they were completely invulnerable, then it would just be a prolonged death cutscene and I'd get annoyed. If countering were too easy, they'd become a joke. As it is, the fact that survival is possible, but not likely just makes them scarier. and then when you pull it off you feel like a badass for a second

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Game beaten, 100%, 10:21. Fun game but oof that final boss. Phase 2 feels too long.

Speaking of the final boss, the final-final section, was that him shoved inside an X-based Kraid body?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

BisbyWorl posted:

Phantoon is easy as long as you know to never use a Super Missile on him.

Things get very dicey, very quickly if you ever shoot him with a super.

What really? I grew up playing Super and I never knew anything about this. Does he behave differently if you don't Super Missile him?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Mind over Matter posted:

What really? I grew up playing Super and I never knew anything about this. Does he behave differently if you don't Super Missile him?

He becomes faster/angry if you hit him with a super missile.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bruceski posted:

Game beaten, 100%, 10:21. Fun game but oof that final boss. Phase 2 feels too long.

Speaking of the final boss, the final-final section, was that him shoved inside an X-based Kraid body?

From what I can tell, the X that took control of Raven Beak was the one that took the body of Z-57. After it sunk into the lava it probably found Kraid and took over him as well, as it has both Kraid's traits and Z-57's traits. Then it mutated into an ungodly abomination of all three with Raven Beak being the smallest just being a head in the mouth.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

tuo posted:

He becomes faster/angry if you hit him with a super missile.

Huh, well now I know. I just always assumed he was naturally that hard.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

From what I can tell, the X that took control of Raven Beak was the one that took the body of Z-57. After it sunk into the lava it probably found Kraid and took over him as well, as it has both Kraid's traits and Z-57's traits. Then it mutated into an ungodly abomination of all three with Raven Beak being the smallest just being a head in the mouth.

It is funny that if you really look at it X really is a nightmarish 80s horror monster, but due to the framing of the game the horrendous Thing creatures become 'cool boss you fight and eat to get powerups'

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Mind over Matter posted:

Huh, well now I know. I just always assumed he was naturally that hard.

Hitting him with a super is what makes him start his bullet hell phase. After 8 waves of flames he'll go back to normal. If you stick to beams/missiles he'll never, ever use that pattern.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I think I've made peace with the fact that I will never beat the shinespark puzzle in the north-west of Ferenia. You have to do so many complex inputs in quick succession. I'm getting too old for such hardcore gaming. :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
it's simple, you just

https://i.imgur.com/htfMq5o.mp4

(i have since been told this is not the intended way)

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
So if anyone was having trouble with Escue, sequence breaking contains your solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2JVWD5MfcA

"It can destroy Screw Attack Blocks and is effective against enemies that are cloaked in electrical energy."

Getting the Gravity Suit early means freezing Artaria early, which means enterprising players can get the Screw Attack early. You apparently don't even need to fight Z-57 for it (though some Shinespark voodoo is involved).

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I'm so lost as to where to go next. Just got trapped and had to take the green teleporter. I feel like the gravity suit should be next, but I don't know where to go. I went as far as I could down the bomb path to the right of the teleporter, but it ends with speed blocks I have no idea how to get past it. In the main flooded area there is a plasma door on the left I can open, but can't get to because it's too high. gently caress I hate speed and shine puzzles.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Shyfted One posted:

I'm so lost as to where to go next. Just got trapped and had to take the green teleporter. I feel like the gravity suit should be next, but I don't know where to go. I went as far as I could down the bomb path to the right of the teleporter, but it ends with speed blocks I have no idea how to get past it. In the main flooded area there is a plasma door on the left I can open, but can't get to because it's too high. gently caress I hate speed and shine puzzles.

If you have the Space Jump, you can use that to get to the plasma door in the flooded area by jumping from a point above it and sink-spinning your way over.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ending Question: I keep looking back at it and I don't really get why X Cloak saves you. Like, I took it that it has all his memories and the chozo part of him somehow took over?? But at the same time if that were the case why did it turn the EMMI back on?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ending Question: I keep looking back at it and I don't really get why X Cloak saves you. Like, I took it that it has all his memories and the chozo part of him somehow took over?? But at the same time if that were the case why did it turn the EMMI back on?

My only guess is that it knew Samus would need the abilities the EMMI contained in order to stand any chance against Raven Beak (it does say "I am counting on you" just before re-activating them). As for your previous question, it probably saves you for the same reason the SA-X "saved" you in Fusion - a combination of memories and the X's instinctual need for self-preservation.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Beat it, 53% and 8h32m. I can’t believe they finally made a better Metroid game than Super

Now, do I start over in hard, do normal again faster, or do the 100% thing…?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 11, 2021

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Enter a room with two wall elevators. I choose the left one oh whoops there was an EMMI on it at the top guess I'm dead.

Lets retry. Enter the room with two elevators. I choose the right oh no it was on that one this time because it's fully random I guess.

Well retries don't cost anything lets go. Enter the room and...it's right at the doorway, which immediately locks the door I just entered behind me trapping me. Cool. Cool.

Also lol at this unknown resource bullshit. I picked that poo poo up give it to me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Saint Freak posted:

Also lol at this unknown resource bullshit. I picked that poo poo up give it to me.

You don't want that. Samus's default method with handling unknown things is to try and put them in her arm cannon and shoot them off, and you don't want to do that with that resource.

I'm pretty sure she would try to shoot the Varia suit at a boss if it could fit in the opening.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

metroid dread ftw

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I finished the game in about 8 hours and gotta say that although I mostly enjoyed it, EMMIs got really repetitive and boring by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

My favorite E.M.M.I. so far is the blue one because it took awhile for me to figure out how I could possibly beat it. Most of the others have been cut and paste.