Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FuturePastNow posted:

I perform the sundrop dance every time I see a certain wicked white. He hasn't been scared off by it yet, though.

That just means your dance is weak and lacks vigor, netherling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Hunt trains are a popular activity at endgame; you get a bunch of tomestones, materia exchange items, and hunt tokens that can get you further additional rewards. There's also some achievements, titles and a mount or two hidden behind killing a significant number of hunt marks.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Tempest_56 posted:

Oh, if anybody's going for the Fashion Report 100 rating, this looks like a great week to get it. Most of the pieces are incredibly cheap and available at low level.

https://twitter.com/KaiyokoStar/status/1446422996575342593

Where the heck do you get Brand New Gloves? I don't even see it on the Market Board.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hall of the Novice

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, that's the problem, I can never progress enough to get to 51-60. Queue times for anything but 1-10 are miserable and every time I've tried to solo it, I end up wiping on the floor 20 boss because I have god-awful aetherpool/silver chest RNG.

Ahhh, yeah. I went in as a PLD and solo'd my way up to floor 30 or so, starting over a few times whenever my aetherpool numbers were too low. Once I got solid numbers I hopped into the queue to get up to 50 (mostly because of the bosses).

Begemot posted:

Yeah, both of the HW ones are worth doing, the Vanu Vanu only rarely send you to the other side of the map, and it's worth doing for the story too. I think those two are still my absolute favorites, though the dwarves in ShB come close.

Hmmm. Maybe I've just had bad luck, then. They sent me about as far as you could go and still be in a relevant area at least once every day I've done their daily, though I haven't gotten too far into their rep yet.

Regy Rusty posted:

Hall of the Novice

Specifically the physical DPS one that's mentioned in that graphic.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Grimoire posted:

well Raub and the falafel queen have a very, very close relationship sooo

Their relationship is completely platonic. They're more like surrogate father-daughter.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Begemot posted:

Trying out paladin would probably be a good idea if you wanted to try out tanking, though warrior is more similar to dark knight, I think. But if you're gonna play a tank once you get to HW, try out something different! Dragoon is pretty fun, and it's good to get a feeling for how all the different roles work. Then, when you become a tank you'll know what good tanking is really like. For example, a lot of melee DPS classes have positionals, attacks that do more damage from the rear or flank. This means that the tank should try as hard as possible not to move enemy packs or bosses around while fighting.

Maybe I'll give Dragoon a shot. I wasn't thinking so much about the roles (DPS/Tank/Healer), but more in regards to aesthetics (Dragoon and Dark Knight both have cool plate armor and horned helmets) and attacking in melee (with spears & halberds or greatswords). Tanking sounds like it's pretty involved (then again, so does Healer), so I might give that a pass for the time being.

I also though about trying Archer/Bard, since it seems like they dish out ranged damage pretty quickly. Really, I guess I can just jump around with all the classes/jobs I have access to right now (a couple of people mentioned Red Mage, but I can't access that until I register my key for the game and get access to Stormblood) and see what I like.

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

Picayune posted:

Newbie question, but: I was in Southern Thanalan doing beast tribe quests when suddenly chat lit up with people going 'inv pls' and, a few minutes later, 'thx for spawn/relay' or something similar.

I googled around and that has led me to assume this was some big boss monster randomly spawning and people asking to be brought to join in? Do I have that right? How did they learn the monster was there?

The Hunt is a mini-game that spawns high level mobs that can be killed for decent rewards.

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/The_Hunt

If you were in Southern Thanalan, it is likely that a S-rank mark had been spawned (generally there is a decent amount of work that people have to do in order to get the S-rank marks to spawn, which is why you see people thanking them in chat). If you checked your Party Finder, you would likely have seen a number of parties forming specifically to kill the S-rank mark.

There are often hunt trains that go from world to world and hunt the A-rank spawns. There are linkshells that you can join that tell everyone where and when the hunt trains will be occurring, so that you can join in (and there are Discord groups as well).

If you have not participated in The Hunt, I would advice that you start as the rewards can be pretty good. You can pick up the weekly B-rank mark bills every week, and they are pretty easy to do.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I want the tiger mount that takes a bajillion hunt kills

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Max Wilco posted:

Maybe I'll give Dragoon a shot. I wasn't thinking so much about the roles (DPS/Tank/Healer), but more in regards to aesthetics (Dragoon and Dark Knight both have cool plate armor and horned helmets) and attacking in melee (with spears & halberds or greatswords). Tanking sounds like it's pretty involved (then again, so does Healer), so I might give that a pass for the time being.

I also though about trying Archer/Bard, since it seems like they dish out ranged damage pretty quickly. Really, I guess I can just jump around with all the classes/jobs I have access to right now (a couple of people mentioned Red Mage, but I can't access that until I register my key for the game and get access to Stormblood) and see what I like.

Tanking is honestly very easy, your rotation ends up being a lot simpler than DPS classes. You have your stance on, do AOEs and use defensive cooldowns for dungeon trash, just do your rotation and vaguely try to time defensive cooldowns for tankbusters for bosses. Outside of savage/extreme content, tankbusters are not going to bust any tanks. Big dungeon trash pulls are much more dangerous.

For healing and tanking, the biggest hurdles are psychological. Getting past the anxiety that comes with a more important role in the party, where other people will really notice if you screw up. Looking like a fool in front of random internet strangers. After you get used to that, it's really chill.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Tanking is very easy but I do recommend spending time on a non-tank, even if you intend to main a tank, just to get a feel for how experienced tanks move. It's sort of non obvious how you're supposed to approach dungeons

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Yeah I was tanking one of the last 5.0 dungeons last night and failed mechanics on the last boss so bad I had 6 stacks of Vulnerability

The healer still gave me a commendation (I was grouped with an irl friend and someone he knows so the healer is the only one who could've given me one)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Begemot posted:

Big dungeon trash pulls are much more dangerous.

Yeah, I’ve gone from saving cooldowns for bosses to making sure I always have one on during the initial stages of a trash pull, especially a double pull.

Skypie posted:

Yeah I was tanking one of the last 5.0 dungeons last night and failed mechanics on the last boss so bad I had 6 stacks of Vulnerability

The healer still gave me a commendation

I’ve found that the secret to getting comms as tank from the healer is “use Arm’s Length on trash”.

I healed with a friend tanking this morning and I was so sloppy they had to pop Superbolide in on the first pull. Earned a comm that I couldn’t give, for sure.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Subjunctive posted:

I healed with a friend tanking this morning and I was so sloppy they had to pop Superbolide in on the first pull. Earned a comm that I couldn’t give, for sure.

It's not a bad idea to deliberately let the tank get low so they can superbolide, if they're in on the idea. A ton of dps time up front with no need to heal.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Max Wilco posted:

Tanking is piss easy, it just has more consequences if you gently caress up.

The guide to tanking is as follows:

1) Turn tank stance on.
2) Run through packs mashing your aoe attack to get aggro on them.
3) Stop once you have 2-3 packs depending on how comfortable you are/how competent your healer is.
4) Rotate your damage reduction cooldowns so you have 1 buff up at a time while the packs are alive (this includes Reprisal and Arm's length). Sometimes you have to use 2 of the lovely ones at the same time, experience will get you a feel for it. Don't stand in the avoidable attacks. Keep mashing your aoe attack.
5) Repeat with the next pack.

You don't need cooldowns for bosses, they don't hit hard enough. Bosses are for letting your cooldowns recharge for the next gauntlet of trash mods.

If you really want to try hard you can also have your stun and interrupt bound and use them to mitigate damage.

If you gently caress up and cause the group to wipe it doesn't loving matter. You just hit the respawn button and try again. The only penalty is a 20 second run back.

Healing has way more responsibility than tanks because they have to actually cast spells to stop the party from wiping and change targets to heal the right person. Tanks just have to press 1 button every 10-20 seconds and they've done their job as far as survivability is concerned. After that you're just a DPS.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
I used my fantasia finally to switch from a giantess Roegadame to a Lalafell and I'm loving it (though I still love my big strong amazon).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I hit 50 but my ilevel kinda sucks, and it seems to be all the right side gear. Is there anywhere to go to buy good accessories that’s not the market board (still free trial) or poetics (don’t have any yet)?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

wdarkk posted:

So I hit 50 but my ilevel kinda sucks, and it seems to be all the right side gear. Is there anywhere to go to buy good accessories that’s not the market board (still free trial) or poetics (don’t have any yet)?

You should probably just wait until the poetics unlock honestly. If you haven’t unlocked those then you probably don’t need the higher ilevel gear for a while.

If you must the NPC your looking for is called an independent Jewler and they’re in every major city. Not really worth it in ARR content but you do you.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Edmund Lava posted:

You should probably just wait until the poetics unlock honestly. If you haven’t unlocked those then you probably don’t need the higher ilevel gear for a while.

If you must the NPC your looking for is called an independent Jewler and they’re in every major city. Not really worth it in ARR content but you do you.

Seconding this, just unlock dungeons and crystal tower and queue for them as you go, you'll get a ton of poetics from first time bonuses.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
If you continue through the MSQ, you'll start getting rewards to gradually upgrade your gear to an item level about par with the patch content you're on. You'll get some right-side/jewelry that's i70, then a weapon, then some other left side stuff.... in the end, even if you never touch your poetics (like me my first time through, because I didn't know where to spend them) you'll end up with a set of about i115 or so gear going into Heavensward. Not great, but enough to queue for things.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

So, I'm starting Stormblood in the coming days. For someone who hasn't been able to take advantage of non-trial content, is there anything I'm forgetting? My shortlist is:

-get retainers
-unlock Red Mage
-find a free company (I have some ideas already)

Please let me know if I am forgetting anything.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Stormblood: So is there any particular point to the Doman restoration effort, in terms of exclusives or whatever?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Regalingualius posted:

Stormblood: So is there any particular point to the Doman restoration effort, in terms of exclusives or whatever?

some glamour and an easy way to turn unwanted items into gil, mostly. Some TT cards too, I think

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Regalingualius posted:

the shop has a couple neat things you unlock, a nice eastern top and some furnishing stuff.

Also it's the best place to dump your silver/gold pieces for value.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

wdarkk posted:

As somebody who was asking/thinking the same question about two weeks ago: wait for the poetics. You'll have a crapton soon enough.

Your average L50 dungeon is gonna land you ~200-250 (Hullbreaker Isle, for example, is 50 for completion, another 50 for the three bosses, 80 for doing it via roulette and I think another 60 or so if somebody in the party is doing it for the first time, including yourself.) Do a single run of all the L50 dungeons/trials and you'll have enough to kit yourself out and have leftovers.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

the shop has a couple neat things you unlock, a nice eastern top and some furnishing stuff.

Also it's the best place to dump your silver/gold pieces for value.

Yeah, even when you finish the storyline there (which is very sweet), they still give you 40k gil for 20k of vendor trash every week in perpetuity. Plus when it's all done you can collect the full set of mini aetherytes there and then get a transport to Gangos (the area for the Bozja zones and SHB relic weapons) from the main aetheryte.

Since the event requires nothing more than you just giving them items every week (and Allagan coins/clear demimateria work just fine) it doesn't take much work and you end up with a steady supply of income for teleport expenses and repairs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tortolia posted:

Plus when it's all done you can collect the full set of mini aetherytes there and then get a transport to Gangos (the area for the Bozja zones and SHB relic weapons) from the main aetheryte.

Those aren't related to the thing in question, because I have those and have done precisely zero with it. :v:

derra
Dec 29, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Have you advanced your GC ranking? You can fill out all your accessories by doing one weekly hunt (literally kill a mob) and spending the 100 allied seals you get.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Alxprit posted:

So, I'm starting Stormblood in the coming days. For someone who hasn't been able to take advantage of non-trial content, is there anything I'm forgetting? My shortlist is:

-get retainers
-unlock Red Mage

Can't think of anything

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Alxprit posted:

-get retainers
-unlock Red Mage

unlock samurai as well, its a fun class.
Flog off any excess junk in your inventory to the marketboard

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

derra posted:

Have you advanced your GC ranking? You can fill out all your accessories by doing one weekly hunt (literally kill a mob) and spending the 100 allied seals you get.

Probably I should do that, yeah. I did the second of the three level 50 eight-man msq things, and my hp was literally 2/3 of the next lowest hp person and like half of the median.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Well I did manage to get the Fashion Leader title this week. It was very easy if anyone else needs to!

I did have to redo the first Hall of Novice thing for melee dps because I couldn't find the Brand New Gloves from it, but other than that, I think I spent maybe like 15K gil to get the dyes/items.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Skypie posted:

Well I did manage to get the Fashion Leader title this week. It was very easy if anyone else needs to!

I did have to redo the first Hall of Novice thing for melee dps because I couldn't find the Brand New Gloves from it, but other than that, I think I spent maybe like 15K gil to get the dyes/items.

PSA: There are two ways to search for items, if you're ever in another situation where you're looking for something you probably have stashed away somewhere.

If you have an item and are looking for another, or have a link to the item in chat, you can choose Search For Item from the dropdown menu. This'll show you if you have the item in your inventory, armory chest, saddlebag, retainers' inventories, glamour desser, etc.

If you don't have a link handy, you can use the text command /isearch to do the same thing. So in your case, you'd do /isearch "brand-new gloves", and you'd be able to see if you had them somewhere and just forgot.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

That reminds me, can you infinitely reacquire the Brand-New gear from the Hall, since you apparently can’t buy them from Calamity salvagers?

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

That reminds me, can you infinitely reacquire the Brand-New gear from the Hall, since you apparently can’t buy them from Calamity salvagers?

Yep you sure can. You can't vendor the gear so it's not any kind of early game money farm.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Nibble posted:

PSA: There are two ways to search for items, if you're ever in another situation where you're looking for something you probably have stashed away somewhere.

If you have an item and are looking for another, or have a link to the item in chat, you can choose Search For Item from the dropdown menu. This'll show you if you have the item in your inventory, armory chest, saddlebag, retainers' inventories, glamour desser, etc.

If you don't have a link handy, you can use the text command /isearch to do the same thing. So in your case, you'd do /isearch "brand-new gloves", and you'd be able to see if you had them somewhere and just forgot.

yeah I did the /isearch thing after my friend suggested it, but it returned nothing. super weird so I dunno if I just shucked them into the aether or what. but the Hall quest took like 5 minutes so easy enough.

I do appreciate that this game will just, like, let you do things. maybe it's not that way for veteran players, but for me, just being able to say "hey instead of MSQ, I can go putz around in the Gold Saucer and get a title and achievement for playing dress-up." I do still have some minor misgivings on how the MSQ kinda forces me to split away from playing with my wife, but overall it's not been enough to push me away from playing.

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
The hall is weird in that it'll just give it to you if you repeat it on the same class, but makes you replay if it's a different class.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I'm sure that this is probably a common complaint, but something that really irks me about FF14 at this point is that I'll see some cool gear, but when I got to look up how to get it, I find out it's no longer available.

I was looking at one of the wiki, and saw the Phantasmagoria Tomestone gear, and thought it looked cool, but it looks like it just recently got removed. Saw someone else wearing the Shire gear, but that got taken out a while ago.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
The unaugmented versions of tomestone gear were removed. The augmented versions are still available and the only difference is the augmented versions are dyeable. It's a good change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Tanking is kinda fun. I've always been DPS, in so many MMOs, that tanking became a bit of a mental thing. But I wanna see the DK story, so did a few command missions to start just to get a feel and the groups in the last couple days have been great. I guess my point is if you're like me and a DPS person who's hesitant to do Tank/Healer, try it. It's been fun!

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 11, 2021