Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Bust Rodd posted:

They are completely different games and trying to compare them because they both take place in Japan is weird.

yeah, one is a 10/10 game and the other is just 'pretty good'.

Sakurazuka posted:

They're as different as Kingdom Hearts 2 and FF7R

lol true. Comparing FF7 Remake to KH2 is at least better than comparing 3 to Remake, but I mean, yeah, both KH2/3 are by the same director, 3 and FF7 Remake were both made on Unreal Engine 4, and 3 should have had Cloud and Sephiroth but didn't for whatever reason, but 3 is messy, unfocused and about as jarring as hearing Goofy talk about Nobodies and Heartless, and FF7 Remake is so much more refined, as far as combat and basically everything else really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kingdom Hearts is a bunch of loving nonsense but I hope it continues forever. I think it's wonderful in our modern nightmare reality where Disney controls absolutely everything about their image that there's some small slice of the magic kingdom where Goofy and Donald have to talk utter gobbledegook about soul data or whatever.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is the OLED better than the Switch refresh? i might actually get it because i still have a first year switch with the OG 3 hour battery

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

It's exactly the same with a nicer (very nice in fact) screen and better battery life, that's about it.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it's the exact same internals, just a slightly bigger, better screen . if you only play docked then there's no point buying one, if you play handheld a bit then MAYBE but it's not gonna make games run any better

Thanks! The idea is to play mostly in handheld mode. There's no point for me to play it docked since I have a Xbox360, PS3 and PS4 with shitloads of games to play. The Switch would be my Dark Souls, The Witcher 3 and maybe a few games machine.

I'd get a PS5 without a doubt or even a Series X as I have plenty of 360 games that got enhancements (leaving open my 360 for CFW) but they're unicorns. And I doubt that the stock issue get better for Christmas or January :(

My point about a switch is that right now that my fiancee and I have both pretty decent flats and I usually carry around one of my consoles to play with her (mostly my PS4 because of my couch co-op library) and it sucks and I know that I'll end loving a port.

Getting a PS5 means my PS4 can stay at hers, or a Switch is a really portable unit. Hell, a Series S being really small and for a bunch of games and good for emulation is even starting to be viable.

I'm in no hurry really, with xmas being somehow a date that is perfect for a big purchase.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

is the OLED better than the Switch refresh?

Screen is better yeah. Inside it's the exact same as the refresh.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

bop bop perano posted:

this is one of those posts you look back on years later and realize not only how naive you were, but also just how much u could learn at this age still.

i think the tech stuff involved, like physics, grass, amount of poo poo on the screen, speed of loading, etc. is obviously better, but every literally everything else is just that much better in Sekiro. I've beaten both as well, I've just beaten Sekiro like 20 times and GoT only once.

I knew u would roll up and give me a lil slap around

Sekiro is good but I didn’t stick with it even though I was handling it okay and GoT is one of my favorite games and probably my #1 Sony exclusive over the last two gens. It is my vidyagame bff. I will say though, Sekiro has Bigger Monkey which is a very powerful scale tip in its direction.

Bust Rodd posted:

They are completely different games and trying to compare them because they both take place in Japan is weird.

But yeah !this! tbh other than being wonderfully Japanese they’re not going for the same thing at all.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Screen is better yeah. Inside it's the exact same as the refresh.

I brainfarted, i meant by battery life. Looking it up it seems the same so an upgrade might be fine since that battery life on the original model just suuuucks

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Tsushima: Japan is a wonderful place and its people kind

Sekiro: Japan is hosed up and weird.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Selling my Switch, my copy of Kirby, and my copy of Pokémon to Game Stop gets me within $50 of an OLED Switch, and since $50 is what Nintendo charges to replace your battery anyway, I’m just gonna refresh my entire console

(Dead-rear end buying a new Switch because it matches my PS5)

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

All the oled chatter is making me tempted to sell the led tv I bought less than a year ago and use the money to subsidise a new tv.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hot take I think oled is the most overblown poo poo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ok

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ok

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
ok

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
TKO

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

veni veni veni posted:

Hot take I think oled is the most overblown poo poo

I agree, we should just go back to 3000lb crts and then there would be no framerate issues in anything ever, everything would run at 300fps locked at a juicy 480p. Im serious.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

People that gush over Oleds are just making themselves feel better about blowing a bunch of money. total confirmation bias. I have stared at those loving things with my 20/20 vision many times trying to parse the "deep blacks" people describe from the pitch black areas on regular rear end TVs it's nonsense. it's pure audiophile wine snob chump poo poo. Everyone I know with a $3000 TV is a total mark with more money than common sense.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it isn’t

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don’t even own an oled

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Im reading these posts on my oled phone and theres zero difference when i view them on my lcd hd ready tv i use as my pc monitor. The posts are the same quality!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

People that gush over Oleds are just making themselves feel better about blowing a bunch of money. total confirmation bias. I have stared at those loving things with my 20/20 vision many times trying to parse the "deep blacks" people describe from the pitch black areas on regular rear end TVs it's nonsense. it's pure audiophile wine snob chump poo poo. Everyone I know with a $3000 TV is a total mark with more money than common sense.

Honestly I find it hard to take this post seriously when you're not even giving us any qualitative distinction between how much sex you get with a standard led tv compared to an oled

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

is the OLED better than the Switch refresh? i might actually get it because i still have a first year switch with the OG 3 hour battery

If you’re buying a new switch you should get the OLED but I personally do not want to buy a new switch in 2021 for the price of a ps5

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Switch Lite is much better than my launch Switch. It's far more comfortable to use and the d-pad makes a huge difference in 2D platformers. I can even kinda dock it and use my old PS4 controller with these two accessories.

The OLED Switch isn't a bad choice, but remember that if you're playing in docked mode then none of the improvements will affect you.

I'll only upgrade when there's a Switch Lite with an OLED screen and a faster processor.

bop bop perano posted:

yeah, one is a 10/10 game and the other is just 'pretty good'.

lol true. Comparing FF7 Remake to KH2 is at least better than comparing 3 to Remake, but I mean, yeah, both KH2/3 are by the same director, 3 and FF7 Remake were both made on Unreal Engine 4, and 3 should have had Cloud and Sephiroth but didn't for whatever reason, but 3 is messy, unfocused and about as jarring as hearing Goofy talk about Nobodies and Heartless, and FF7 Remake is so much more refined, as far as combat and basically everything else really.

KH3 Remind (and the free patch that came out at the same time) fixed nearly all of my issues with KH3, but it's still nowhere near as polished as FFVIIIR was at launch. Something they can't patch out is the cutscene and voice direction that feels straight out of an early Dynasty Warriors game, and is far worse than the PS2 KH games. Lock-on was completely busted in KH3 at launch (it would only lock on to enemies that were already on screen, even if there was only one enemy and they were behind you), lots of moves were slow, left you vulnerable and couldn't be cancelled, and there was only one easy optional boss to take on after beating the game.

The gameplay is massively improved now, so it's much harder to decide whether I prefer KH2 or 3. I think KH2 is much better designed and balanced, but there are weird rules for what you can and can't do, like not being able to use items in mid-air and blocking not being effective immediately after you press it. KH3 is full of completely broken and unbalanced abilities, but the All Pro Codes run makes you actually fight the bosses as they were designed to be. It's actually been a really fun challenge playing a mode where the only option to heal is to use a keyblade that gives you a chance to recover some health with each spell you cast.

I'm guessing Epic paid for the PC ports and Microsoft paid for the Xbox ports. Nintendo weren't willing to pay for proper Switch ports :( If they were ported individually I'd be happy to pick up KH2 and a DQXIS-style KH3 port. As long as the Data battles still run around 60fps they could do what they like to the graphics.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sakurazuka posted:

They're as different as Kingdom Hearts 2 and FF7R

owned.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

OKIEDAY!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

thinking how good this would look on an OLed :(

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Man the Panzer Dragoon remake should of cost five dollars originally because it kinda blows, and they have a trophy to play 100 hours in a one hour game.

Why did I buy this when I have Rez and that is just better

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve never seen an OLED big screen at work, but my LG Nanocell feels like having a movie screen in my apartment. The only time it doesn’t look absolutely perfect is sometimes I’ll get a deep black on the screen that looks splotchy or a little washed out if there is light coming from a different part of the screen. Like when I turn on my PS5, the little “HDR” rectangle pops up in the corner and it’ll kind of pixelate the black on the screen. What is that? Is there anything I can do about it? It literally only effects blacks, the rest of it is perfect.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Honestly I find it hard to take this post seriously when you're not even giving us any qualitative distinction between how much sex you get with a standard led tv compared to an oled

I’m imagining how much rear end I’ll get when I show someone my Lost blueray’s on an oled…

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve never seen an OLED big screen at work, but my LG Nanocell feels like having a movie screen in my apartment. The only time it doesn’t look absolutely perfect is sometimes I’ll get a deep black on the screen that looks splotchy or a little washed out if there is light coming from a different part of the screen. Like when I turn on my PS5, the little “HDR” rectangle pops up in the corner and it’ll kind of pixelate the black on the screen. What is that? Is there anything I can do about it? It literally only effects blacks, the rest of it is perfect.

I have a 70" QLED screen, it's terrific but once subtitles are on they really light up that section of the screen if the screen is otherwise black. I checked it against OLED and it didn't have that problem. I can't afford an OLED but I can see why people would want them.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I got an oled tv last summer and it's the loving best and worth every penny

when my girlfriend was asking what i meant about the blacks, i just put on a movie and skipped to the credits and she was blown away by how the tv just looked like it was literally off until the words crawled into the screen

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I thought OLED might be overblown until we went to look at it in person and even my girlfriend was convinced, and she doesn't give a gently caress about most of tech that I like to show her. We bought it later and I'm regularly surprised just how good it looks. I got a phone with an OLED screen later and enjoy it a lot there, too. I just wish they made 27-32" inch OLED monitors that don't cost twice what I paid for my 55" TV.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The results are in, not only does oled own, but it also gets you laid!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

the virgin LED

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

the virgin LED

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
CRT is better for pixel art that was designed with CRT in mind

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Tei posted:

CRT is better for pixel art that was designed with CRT in mind

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

who's scheduling Tei's posts, tim rodgers/???

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Yeah I watch CRT. Correctly Rendered Telly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

pixel art looks better on CRTeez nuts