Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

Suzie mlem

"what?"

"whaaaat?????"

Suzie got them wild eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Catnip

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Poppy enjoys pats so much sometimes her legs stop working

https://i.imgur.com/8zwEgME.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/chw3IVi.gifv

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Pushka says meowdy.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Meowdy purrdner

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Mr. Winthorpe & Mr. Valentine helping me play video games.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He himself seems shocked

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
"Winter is combing."

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Pushka was snoring. :kiddo:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/mymemoldy/statu...sults_are_in%2F

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
A little over three years ago I lost Bernie, my best friend of 17 years, to kidney issues and old age. A while later we decided to adopt an older cat. Went to the shelter and asked to see the oldest cat that had been there the longest and they introduced us to Applesauce

They said she came in with a bunch of other cats from an abuse/hoarding case. They estimated her age at about 10 and she had been there for 7 or 8 months. The shelter has a cat room full of cats ready to be adopted. It's nice, they are "free range" and don't have to stay in a cage.

We came back the next day to see her again and put our paperwork in for adoption. This is where we found her.

She eventually came out to eat, and afterwards was laying on the ground when two very feisty kittens started playing and basically ran right over her face and she didn't even move. We needed to bring her home. She got up on a window seat before we left and I gave her a boop to let her know we would be back the next day.

We brought her home and did the slowest introduction possible between her and our other cat, Lemew. Lemew was not all about this new cat of course, and our dog Oliver wasn't either but he was more passive about it. The first thing we did was rename her. We were trying to come up with a good old person's name and eventually settled on Shyne. My grandmother was named Sunshyne and everyone called her Shyne for short. She loved cats. So Shyne it was. We were pretty sure she was ok with this because the shelter said they had just given her the name at random.

I spent the first few nights in the spare bedroom with Shyne and she was very nervous and scared. A couple of times she came up on the bed and sniffed around me while I pretended to be asleep, but she wasn't ready for people time yet. She also wasn't impressed with Lemew having the high ground

I'll skip ahead to the part where she loves to cuddle. One of her favorite things is to fall asleep on my hand

In time, she also decided she loves belly rubs. If I just slightly encourage her to roll over, she flops over and throws her paws up in the air like she just don't care.

It hasn't all been belly rubs and good times. She wasn't very well taken care of before. She has chronic dental issues, and we had to have a few of them extracted two separate times. She was wormy when we got her. Last year we discovered that she was very constipated and has had miralax every morning since then, so she can poop like a normal cat. And then this past Spring we noticed that there was something wrong with her right ear. Doctor said it was cancer. She had her right ear canal removed in May

She recovered fully and both the surgeon and the pathologist were confident that they got it all. Doctor said that the tumor actually fell out of the ear canal when they removed it. Shyne recovered well - her ear isn't sliding off of her face anymore at all. She even discovered that she like hanging out with Oliver on the couch every evening

She was also back to being snuggly, even though the whole process of diagnosis to recovery involved a lot of vet trips and it was touch and go for a while as to whether she was going to want to be close to me again.

About a month ago we felt some bumps behind and below her right ear. We thought it might be scar tissue. We weren't really sure how everything healed, and we hadn't gone towards that area while she was healing from her surgery so we figured it was normal. They got bigger. We took her back and they tested very high for cancer cells. It got to her lymph nodes somehow. Surgeon said that it was about quality of life now. She recommended that if we wanted to, that we should see an oncologist for a second opinion. We did, and he agreed. He said that if it got to her lungs already she probably had 2 months and if not, probably 6 months. He told us what to look for, for when it would be time. Sunday we found two spots on one of her lumps that look like pimples. Yesterday morning she had scratched the back of her ear near the tumor to the point it was an open wound. She has been eating, but not a lot. There are a couple of other signs that she is showing us that she isn't ok. I called the vet to discuss a home visit but the doc is out until tomorrow. Might have another doc from the facility call today to see if she can do it, if not we have to take her in this week.

This is last night. This is the closest the two of them have been to each other in the three years she's been here.

Usually when Lemew approaches the couch, Shyne takes off. If we put Lemew on the couch, at the other end, Shyne takes off even if Lemew isn't looking at her. Lemew only has three legs and is super aware of when someone isn't doing well in the house. The day the vet came over for Bernie, Lemew laid down next to her in the sunlight and that was the only time in the 6 years that they were together that it happened. This is also from last night.

She's the sweetest cat I've ever had and on the one hand my heart is breaking but on the other hand, we adopted her to give her a better life for the end of her life, and I know we did. Thanks for letting me share.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Thank you for giving Shyne a good life

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
She's beautiful. I'm so sorry :(. You gave her a second chance at life. You're a good person.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My sympathies; cat cancer is awful. Thank you for giving her a good life for as long as you could.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You are a good human being, Flyinglemur, for giving Shyne a good life at the end. Cat cancer sucks, but you don't.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Thank you for giving Shyne a wonderful home until the end. It's always heartbreaking to lose them, but it's wonderful to give and get such love.

My gal Skadi passed from cat cancer a few years back. She was trouble at all possible times but that's part of the charm.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Thank you all for your kind words, and thank you CapitanGarlic for loving Skadi. I appreciate just being able to process it out here. Talked to the vet this morning and they will come to our house next Wednesday but if something gets acute before that, we can take her in. So we will play it by ear.

You can ignore the audio here - I did this for a buddy of mine last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjnEmdJ4fo0

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Thats the happiest looking kitty I've ever seen.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Mlem

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
This weekend Shyne went downhill pretty quickly. She made it obvious that we couldn't wait until Wednesday's home visit so we took her in this morning. She stopped eating yesterday evening and had been spending more and more time in her safe spot under our bed. She came out to the kitchen at breakfast but wouldn't come near me and went right back to hiding. As we were waiting for the vet to call back she came out to the couch to sit between us. I snapped this picture right before she got down and went to the bedroom again

Later on I realized she was saying goodbye. I'm really going to miss her. Thank you for letting me process this here. Today is also the one year anniversary of my mother in law's passing and she and my wife were very, very close. This has been a poo poo day

Edit: imgur link not showing up while I phone post. Perfect

Deus Ex Macklemore has a new favorite as of 02:57 on Nov 2, 2021

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Flyinglemur posted:

This weekend Shyne went downhill pretty quickly. She made it obvious that we couldn't wait until Wednesday's home visit so we took her in this morning. She stopped eating yesterday evening and had been spending more and more time in her safe spot under our bed. She came out to the kitchen at breakfast but wouldn't come near me and went right back to hiding. As we were waiting for the vet to call back she came out to the couch to sit between us. I snapped this picture right before she got down and went to the bedroom again

Later on I realized she was saying goodbye. I'm really going to miss her. Thank you for letting me process this here. Today is also the one year anniversary of my mother in law's passing and she and my wife were very, very close. This has been a poo poo day

Edit: imgur link not showing up while I phone post. Perfect

I gotcha, when you upload there are share links on the image to post instead of directly to the gallery.

I imagine she had a good, loving life!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Coolnezzz posted:

I gotcha, when you upload there are share links on the image to post instead of directly to the gallery.

I imagine she had a good, loving life!

Thank you so much. I'm an old, exhausted person.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Flyinglemur posted:

Thank you so much. I'm an old, exhausted person.

Me too, me too.

My cutest pic recently is a painting someone made for the director of this non-profit thrift store I do IT work for occasionally.

Edit: oh this is not a cat for the cat thread, so here's a pic of my friends dog.

Edit 2: I cannot post here without a cat pic, these are a coworkers!

Shartweek has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Nov 2, 2021

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Back cat looks like it's biting front cat's butt. Accurate depiction.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W85oD8FEF78

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I miss my kitty, fortunately I at least get pictures of her again.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

This is the guilty look of a spaghetti bandit who just boldly came up to us on the couch and stole and consumed a strand of Fettucini Bolognese from my girlfriend's bowl when she wasn't looking.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Elviscat posted:

I miss my kitty, fortunately I at least get pictures of her again.

There is so much sass in that face, I love her :kimchi:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My foot warmer.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Neighbors cat Heffie comes to visit every day

His brother comes sometimes too

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Mu Zeta posted:

Neighbors cat Heffie comes to visit every day

His brother comes sometimes too

Are those luxurious cats enormous, or is it just a trick of perspective?

Ours are only 10 lbs. / 7 lbs. (still a kitten) so it might be my perspective :ghost:

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
They're probably at least 50% fluff, so I'd say normal cat-sized. They look a little bigger than my :btroll:, and he's not especially huge.

Love that footwarmer higher up too. I've got one that's similar but he's a little too enthusiastic with his punishments for moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

gloom posted:

Are those luxurious cats enormous, or is it just a trick of perspective?

Ours are only 10 lbs. / 7 lbs. (still a kitten) so it might be my perspective :ghost:

Heffie is huge. Brother is more normal but they are both very fluffy. They must be a mix with forest cats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQFQsVnxuhY