Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

Mescal posted:

How do I map or echo a key to a mouse button? Preferably so the key still works? Steam's controller config doesn't seem to account for this

Pretty straightforward if you use Autohotkey. Just write your binds in a text file and save it as a .ahk. For example the following will bind keys to left/right/middle mouse:

code:
#SingleInstance, force

~l::Send, {LButton}
~r::Send, {RButton}
~m::Send, {MButton}
The tilde means that the key won't get blocked and will be sent along with the mouse button.

https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Kind of a weird question but I'm wondering if this issue is more common than I think it is:

I know we all have our huge backlogs of games that we need to play, and it's definitely the same for me. I got a bunch of real incredible games I should be checking out: Yakuza 0, Amid Evil, Black Mesa, Cuphead, Bloodstained, Outer Wilds, and so on. But for some reason, instead of going through those bangers one-by-one, I feel compelled to check out all of these junk games in my library first: Dungeon Siege 3, Dark Devotion, Hellpoint, Lost Planet, ELEX, Victor Vran, Inferno Climber, The Evil Within 1, and so on. Some of them were pleasant surprises that turned out better than I thought, but most of the time they are either just 'ok', or just as bad as they've been reviewed and I don't know why I wasted my time. It's like some weird sort of compulsion to 'save your dessert for last' taken to an illogical extreme, or some sort of idea that I need to explore and give all these games, especially ones that are popularly hated, a fair shake to see how I feel about them. Anyone else get like this? I would imagine most people can't get through their backlog because they are spending so much time playing good games, not bad ones, haha.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 11, 2021

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

FutureCop posted:

Kind of a weird question but I'm wondering if this issue is more common than I think it is:

I know we all have our huge backlogs of games that we need to play, and it's definitely the same for me. I got a bunch of real incredible games I should be checking out: Yakuza 0, Amid Evil, Black Mesa, Cuphead, Bloodstained, Outer Wilds, and so on. But for some reason, instead of going through those bangers one-by-one, I feel compelled to check out all of these junk games in my library first: Dungeon Siege 3, Dark Devotion, Hellpoint, Lost Planet, ELEX, Victor Vran, Inferno Climber, The Evil Within 1, and so on. Some of them were pleasant surprises that turned out better than I thought, but most of the time they are either just 'ok', or just as bad as they've been reviewed and I don't know why I wasted my time. It's like some weird sort of compulsion to 'save your dessert for last' taken to an illogical extreme, or some sort of idea that I need to explore and give all these games, especially ones that are popularly hated, a fair shake to see how I feel about them. Anyone else get like this? I would imagine most people can't get through their backlog because they are spending so much time playing good games, not bad ones, haha.
Yeah except ELEX was hype as gently caress for me since I needed another Gothic. One thing I've gotten better with though is that if a game loving sucks and you hate it, just quit and uninstall that garbage (Evil Within 1 comes to mind).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't want to play all of the games I'm going to like first and be stuck with nothing but a bunch of crap.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The best games to go back to are ones that you know were good but you just didn't click with for whatever reason. I gave up on Caves of Qud years ago but tried it again recently on a whim and it's my current obsession now.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I know what you mean, FutureCup. For me, playing the lesser known games is more of a curiosity thing. I feel like I already “know” all the good games because they’re talked about so much and featured in so many videos and stuff, but the lesser known games are more about discovery and, probably most relevantly, they maybe represent more of a diamond in the rough kind of thing I might like and stick with for a long time. Something that could turn out to be a perfectly-tailored for specifically me kind of thing, or maybe even just some weird oddball thing that I can distract myself with for a while. Everybody likes those kinds of hidden treasures, I think, and that’s what those medium tier, 6 or 7 / 10 games represent for a lot of people.

Perfect examples, I just picked up Warhammer 40k Inquisitor - Martyr (pretty clumsy title to be honest) and I love it. It’s basically a lower budget Diablo With Guns, but you get to splatter demons and blow up a ton of poo poo with heavy bolters and flame throwers and deployable turrets and hand grenades and it’s awesome. It also plays really well with a controller and controls like a standard 3rd person game (right stick rotates camera, left stick moves and strafes) which is really cool for a Diablo-like. I just beat the main campaign at around the 15 hour mark and can’t wait to dive into the post game so I can get better gear which will allow me to not have to worry as much about dumb stuff like “health potting” or “slowing down in any capacity while I’m delivering the Emperor’s righteous fury to the filth of Chaos.”

Then there’s games like Exo One where the whole thing is that you’re a weird metal ball that has to get to a point in the far distance over hilly landscapes and you have to use momentum to get there. Find a good hill and hold a mouse button to make the ball super heavy and gain a ton of momentum, hold another button to become a disk and glide around using said momentum. Seems like something custom built for Ullillillia but it’s not made with pixel art so who knows. But I’m definitely going to spend a good few hours there pretending I’m playing Tribes and skiing all over the place.

So yeah. Playing lesser known games can be fun because of the mystery. And you just might find something you love because it happens to fit your weird tastes.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

(I enjoy weird, lesser-known titles.)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I have a lot of games in my backlog that I feel are "if I start this I need to properly, really and thoroughly give it my time and attention" so instead I play Powerwash Simulator while listening/watching equally low maintenance podcasts or TV. The stupid impulse to be doing more than one thing at any given time is ruining quality media for me.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

GhostDog posted:

I have a lot of games in my backlog that I feel are "if I start this I need to properly, really and thoroughly give it my time and attention" so instead I play Powerwash Simulator while listening/watching equally low maintenance podcasts or TV. The stupid impulse to be doing more than one thing at any given time is ruining quality media for me.

This is a huge thing for me. I avoid playing immersive games unless I have the proper time to devote to them. Repetitive games are much easier to pick up to fill time when you've got a lot going on.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
I just finished Horizon: Zero Dawn! Some thoughts:

- bows vs dinorobos is fun, it's got an involved but not overcomplicated combat system with lots of options
- it's odd to play an open world AssCreed-like that actually has a well-told story
- gently caress Ted Faro

Good game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ripper Swarm posted:

I just finished Horizon: Zero Dawn! Some thoughts:

- gently caress Ted Faro

Good game.

Every time :allears:

gently caress Ted Faro.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Tempted by planet zoo, bit put off by games with so much dlc but looks gorgeous and i love a management game

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

There was/is a bundle sale for Acid Nerve developed games Titan Souls and newest release Death's door, so I picked them up for less than 20 combined (without soundtracks though). I had tried Titan souls previously and got my eye on Death's door too. From what I read it plays a bit like Link to the past, so I will give it a go.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cross-posting from the fresh releases thread:

Not quite a new game, but eh, close enough:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1181830/Urtuk_The_Desolation/

quote:

Hello all!

After some time, and no updates in several months, I am really pleased that Urtuk is now getting a new content in the free DLC!
We have worked on it for some time now, so sorry for not posting any updates during that time.

So what's in the new content update?
In a nutshell:

new faction - The Shattered
new biome the Obsidian
30 minutes of new music
new events, items, objectives, boss maps, game mechanics, and steam achievements
lots of improvements, balances and fixes
.. you can read all the changes and additions in the changelog located in the steam forum.

The new Shattered event is present already in first zone, and you will encounter them quite quickly!
I don't want to spoil the story behind them, so it's up to you to discover more.
However, after fulfilling a special event, you can even unlock them as playable faction!

Please note that the DLC content has been integrated directly into base game, so you don't have to do anything to get this update! Just make sure steam is automatically updating Urtuk.
Unfortunately, with this major update, your saves won't be backwards compatible (sorry!).
The version of Urtuk with the DLC integrated is 1.0.0+81.

With this special day we will be also running a 20% discount for several days!

I hope you'll enjoy the content, and please make sure you'll give us feedback on the new stuff, so we can improve it further! (Best place is steam forum or our discord)

David

And they posted a balance/bug patch today, so now's a good time to hop on.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
don't sleep on the insanely cute and fun free game Princess Remedy

there's a $5 sequel that's probably good too but i haven't played it yet

but seriously it's fantastic, i can't believe it doesn't cost at least $1

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Simone Magus posted:

don't sleep on the insanely cute and fun free game Princess Remedy

there's a $5 sequel that's probably good too but i haven't played it yet

but seriously it's fantastic, i can't believe it doesn't cost at least $1

Yeah, it's nice.
The sequel was a bit disappointing, since IIRC it doesn't really add anything interesting to the freeware game and is almost as short, but I don't feel bad for paying a sale price for it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kennel posted:

Yeah, it's nice.
The sequel was a bit disappointing, since IIRC it doesn't really add anything interesting to the freeware game and is almost as short, but I don't feel bad for paying a sale price for it.

Agreed.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Anyone looking at Book of Travels?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1152340/Book_of_Travels/
Coming out in a few hours.

It's an open-world RPG adventure/exploration game (the map is pretty big according to the dev and each server only has 7 players). You wander the world, collect ingredients, trade, sight-seeing, and learn the lore of the world. You'll only see and meet up with other players occasionally and can only communicate with emote. You can travel together if you want (there's some activities you can do with other players like playing music instruments, brewing tea, and play GO, etc).

Certainly looks unique, though gameplay sounds a bit vague to tell if it's actually going to be fun.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah ill probably try it, i play every dang mmo

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

pedro0930 posted:

It's an open-world RPG adventure/exploration game (the map is pretty big according to the dev and each server only has 7 players). You wander the world, collect ingredients, trade, sight-seeing, and learn the lore of the world. You'll only see and meet up with other players occasionally and can only communicate with emote. You can travel together if you want (there's some activities you can do with other players like playing music instruments, brewing tea, and play GO, etc).

Certainly looks unique, though gameplay sounds a bit vague to tell if it's actually going to be fun.

I'm looking forward to this one. It seems like an RPG version of Journey in many ways.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

pedro0930 posted:

yes! i am going to try it. i mentioned it over in the MMO HMO chat thread. if it really captures me, i will make a thread and try to figure out a way some of us can play together. i ended up pre-ordering so i was able to play a little earlier but under nda. it is a very different experience than a "normal" MMO, so please read up on it before purchasing so you are not disappointed! :)

Pragmatica posted:

there is some more info about the game here in a good "spoiler-free" summary guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16JzZd2N1DMYkJYTZz5OUAf3Vw4ZaH9nKNLPTzmIw2e8/edit

more info here on character creation: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qGKSwtQej8oNY29xkP_-9vCahtegPKzz7Jr9BBOkpbs/edit

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
only a few hours into The Evil Within 2, but man it really is a huge improvement over the original, folks weren't kidding. Really enjoying exploring the quasi-open-world map in Chapter 3

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Im in the mood for a puzzle crawler/maze crawler. little to no combat, just you lost in an area and have to solve obtuse puzzles to make progress.

Like a metroidvania but instead of combat, it's puzzle solving. Stuff like Fez or MYST.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

only a few hours into The Evil Within 2, but man it really is a huge improvement over the original, folks weren't kidding. Really enjoying exploring the quasi-open-world map in Chapter 3

I'm one of the freaks who overall enjoyed TEW1 and yeah TEW2 is a huge step up. It loses some of the weirdness that made TEW1 special but it's so much more playable and fun. I loved the little open worlds it gives you, it's impressive that they delivered an effective horror game while giving you that much freedom to explore.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In terms of MYSTies, there's something like Eyes of Ara (which is somewhere inbetween Myst and The Room games) or Quern.

In terms of puzzle metroidvanias, it has some combat but I like Alwa's Awakening/Legacy a lot-- it's kind of like a combination of a traditional side-scrolling Metroidvania with NES-era puzzling. For pure puzzle there's something like Toki Tori 2+? It doesn't have ability gating or upgrades but you gain song commands and knowledge, I guess-- I'm always iffy on calling that one a Metroidvania but it always gets brought up as one. Personally as far as stuff like that goes, I much prefer Full Bore which is a large non-linear block pushing game full of puzzles in every direction, as well as having secrets like FEZ such as QR code rooms... it's a criminally underplayed game from 2014 and I put it up there with The Witness, just in my opinion.

e: also you might want to look into the old Dizzy series by the Oliver Twins

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 11, 2021

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Im in the mood for a puzzle crawler/maze crawler. little to no combat, just you lost in an area and have to solve obtuse puzzles to make progress.

Like a metroidvania but instead of combat, it's puzzle solving. Stuff like Fez or MYST.

Talos Prinicple, The Witness, Obduction?

Talos is one of all time favorites.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Talos is alright but I'd rank The Witness much higher

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Antichamber, Manifold Garden

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

repiv posted:

Talos is alright but I'd rank The Witness much higher

I would've liked it better if I wasn't too stupid to figure a lot of it out.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ok, thanks everyone. Im giving The Eyes of Ara a chance now.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

More of a surreal mindfuck game with great sound/soundtrack than a difficult puzzle game, but I will always recommend manifold garden

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Far Cry 6 is really good, I like it. I like the Latin/Caribbean setting, I like the gameplay which is challenging without being horribly difficult and does require you to be smart about things lest you find yourself being attacked by an endless stream of helicopters and special forces. I like the amigos animal companions. I like the vehicles, and in general traversal is very strong. And I like the story and the missions so far. There's always something to do and more fascists to kill. The special 'resolver' weapons own (my favorites by far are the one handed pistol shotgun/shield that blocks shots coming from in front of you and the one that shoots a massive steel rod and just blows anyone completely away in relative silence). And the backpacks are pretty cool too.

There is a huge amount to do in this game, it's crazy. I'm guessing it must be a 40-60 hour game to fully complete although I'm not actually sure how far I am so it could be even more than that if you're going for 100%.

lunar detritus posted:

Is it just me or UNSIGHTED is really, punishingly, hard?

It gets easier quickly when you get more combat options and more chips. Stamina chips especially for me were crucial, usually when I get owned I either ran out of stamina or reloaded the gun at the wrong moment so having extra is crucial, even if it's just enough to run away real quick and recover a second. The parry mechanic is absolutely crucial too, and is pretty forgiving even if you mistime it and don't get the parry that sets them up for a free critical hit, you still block their attack.

Eventually I stopped dying almost completely. I do agree that the beginning of the game especially could be a bit easier, optimally things get slightly harder as you go along but here it seems like they get easier or maybe I just got more used to the best way to play.

John Lee posted:

I forgot the spin slash was even a thing until right now, I would briefly be reminded of it every time I looked at the chip screen and then immediately forget, and never used it beyond the intro.

...I wonder how badass my axe would have been?

I can't stand the axe, I'm still sticking with the sword 100% of the time. Then the autogun for shooting and the enormous shuriken for puzzles mostly. Looking forward to getting more weapons but haven't found any other blueprints.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

More of a surreal mindfuck game with great sound/soundtrack than a difficult puzzle game, but I will always recommend manifold garden
It gets a lot harder if you want to do secret stuff, especially without looking it up.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I think the key to enjoying the Witness is the willingness to be frustrated by a problem and let it sit in your mind until something clicks. The game encourages it, if you're stumped you can wander across the island and start working on another chain of puzzles, which might trigger a thought or teach you a rule that helps you elsewhere. Or you can just put the game down for a bit. Whenever I hit a wall it was because I was failing to make some intuitive connection, not because a puzzle was too complicated to comprehend. Immersing yourself in the problem and then taking a break to let your subconscious chew on it is ideal, the game seems to be designed for it. Making these connections yourself and solving puzzles with them is terrifically rewarding. It's easily my favorite puzzle game by a mile.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Antichamber is still the most fun puzzle game I've ever played. Manifold Garden isn't difficult but as an experience it's fantastic and everyone should play it.

Outer Wilds is the best puzzle game I've played, in that it's exceptionally consistently designed and also tells a fantastic story. It's not super puzzley in the conventional sense, it's more about discovery and understanding than anything else.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I played some Quern. Can't say I liked it very much.

Cyan weaves puzzles into the world and narrative in a way that feels plausible and usually further world building in some way.

Quern has a sliding tile puzzle you have solve twice.

Play Obduction. It's Myst. It's good.

Manic Mongoose
Aug 5, 2010
Outer Wilds might also fill that need

edit: just saw post two above mentioning it

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

A Proper Uppercut posted:

This is what the dev's twitter looks like these days so it's fine if you can't match up with his logic imo :rolleye:

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
It is completely unsurprising that Jonathan Blow is the kind of person who would be seduced by the idea of holding secret knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Tiramisu posted:

It is completely unsurprising that Jonathan Blow is the kind of person who would be seduced by the idea of holding secret knowledge.

It's also unsurprising that a guy with the last name "Blow" blows.

The Witness is excellent. JoBlo is a moron.