Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
No it's cause the font used makes a 1 look like a 2, that fortetress is stage 1.

Snipe edit: what's everyone playing post rotation? I'm thinking about building something around Glaceon vmax after pulling a v and vmax online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Elblanco posted:

No it's cause the font used makes a 1 look like a 2, that fortetress is stage 1.

Snipe edit: what's everyone playing post rotation? I'm thinking about building something around Glaceon vmax after pulling a v and vmax online.

Sounds like why I have a centiskorch v and vmax deck, solely because I pulled them online. I have yet to figure out what to do with the alt art sylveon I got, since I'm a bad deck builder and generally dont get that cerebral with effects type cards.

I remember when the only gx pokemon card I had to save my rear end was a celesteela and hooboy did it ever, along with a swsh regular mawile that had crunch as an attack. I woulda quit PTCGO a long time ago if it weren't for those cards.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I've updated the OP for Evolving Skies and this time I've done a brief overview of the current meta decks based upon the tournament stats from Limitless.

I've been playing mostly Suicune V but I just made the Zacian and Dragapult decks mentioned in my post because I already had most of the parts, so I'll probably try them out soon. The current meta seems pretty good, and the rotation was really refreshing (happy to see ADP gone, but sad to lose Mewtwo & Mew GX).

Crimson Chin
Aug 16, 2005

mister happy turtle is a happy turtle
So I went on honeymoon to japan and found a neat book from a normal book store for about Ł20 new:

And had a nice flick through, but it was mostly a coffee table book.

Then today I get it out again and this drops out:

And apparently this is worth some money?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284111572588?hash=item42265e8e6c:g:In4AAOSwa8Jf01Z5
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165076627249?hash=item266f556f31:g:M44AAOSwVqBhRDX2
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304148711839

Are these values real? I don't follow the TCG scene at all, but I have heard that pokemon cards have been going up to crazy values recently.

Is anyone familiar with this art book? Was I just lucky to get this card inside?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm not familiar with that art book specifically, but my googling seem to indicate it's a collection of the artwork on the cards from that time which is about the 20th anniversary. That card is a promotional card that came with the book, so you are also lucky in the sense that whoever sold it to the used bookstore didn't keep their card.

A quick breeze through sold listings on ebay searching for "Pokemon Charizard EX 276/XY-P Japanese 2016 Art Book Promo" yields cards in similar condition to yours that have sold for about 500 usd. The book by itself seems to run about 100-150 ish. So not quite the outrageous 2k prices the sellers you linked are trying to get, but still worth a good chunk of change. Any more knowledgable goons feel free to jump in and correct me on this I'm not great on the japanese card market. Still a super cool and lucky find, and will likely keep some value as people love them some charizards and promo cards. Kinda jealous myself as that's a cool card (and I don't even like zards!) but I definitely don't have the cash to swing for it.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The cheapest on CardMarket at the moment is €625 for the card alone, and it's probably worth a fair whack more still sealed. Nice find!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://www.tcgplayer.com/product/2...anguage=English
The last one that sold, in june, was at 300 dollars.

E: I checked completed listings on ebay, they vary greatly. Like 600 dollars greatly.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 26, 2021

Crimson Chin
Aug 16, 2005

mister happy turtle is a happy turtle
ahh thanks for the info everyone. Guess I got lucky!

Now to find the best place in the UK to move it quickly.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

If anyone needs trainers or mons my account is overloaded w/ the lowest rarity versions of cards and I will take any kind of packs just hit me up here or DM me

Almost forgot, have a spare computer search FT if anyone needs that sort of thing

Edit: oh poo poo this isn't the TCGO thread!

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 4, 2021

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Having a blast with this Luxray deck. Luxray is my favorite Pokemon, so I figured why not? Goal is just get energy and evolve as quickly as possible.

Dubwool is there in case I start getting my rear end beat.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 17

* 4 Shinx RCL 60
* 4 Luxio RCL 61
* 4 Luxray PR-SW 23
* 2 Dubwool V PR-SW 49
* 3 Pikachu V PR-SW 61

##Trainer Cards - 20

* 4 Potion BCR 132
* 4 Caitlin PLB 78
* 2 Sonia RCL 167
* 4 Pokégear 3.0 UNB 182
* 3 Great Ball XY 118
* 3 Exp. Share PRC 128

##Energy - 23

* 23 Lightning Energy Energy 4

Total Cards - 60

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I had a couple of Lightning dailies so I took your deck and modified it for cards I didn't have, which was most of the Luxray line you used, which I replaced with all of their Rapid Strike versions because I must've made a similar deck in the past. Then I thought, well why not add a bunch of RS support cards, and I also ended up grabbing the new Flaafy that accelerates lightning energy from your discard pile.

So in other words I ended up with a pretty different deck but Luxray was still the main attacker. I almost beat a Zacian deck (and would have if I'd remembered to include Boss's Orders) but then lost a few other games. I wanted to include the Shady Dealings line with a couple of Quick Shooting Inteleons because it would've been good synergy with the RS Luxray, but that would've entailed another deck redesign.

I pretty much always netdeck but refining a homemade one was actually pretty fun even if most of its contents ended up resembling said netdecks. I guess that's why they call it a meta.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I got a bunch of poo poo today. I was lucky in line placement and what not. I decided to weigh the 6 celebration packs I got inside the Celebrations collections box (all the Charizard poo poo)

#1 9.41g
#2 9.58g
#3 9.73g
#4 9.74g
#5 9.94g
#6 9.59g

I decided to keep the lightest one sealed in this tin I have with sealed boosters. #1

What did we get?

Pack #2
#24/25 Professor's Research (need 4 more to complete 25 set)
Gardevoir EX

Pack #3
Surfing Pikachu V
Imposter Professor Oak

Pack #4
Mew 11/25
Donphan 107/123

Pack #5
Zacian V
Xerneas EX

Which leaves me with missing 2 card for the base set, 009 and 025 / 025. I got dupes, lets do this.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I didn't get enough poo poo for trade, only got two collection boxes: the Zacian pin box and the Dark Sylveon promo card box. Got four of the full art base set Pikachu though! And a Metwtwo ex and a Rocket's Zapdos for the retro subset. It was fun to open but I think I'm gonna tap out for the moment. I don't want to be sinking a ton of money into cards right now, and my LGS decided to debut a lot of the boxes at the market rate instead of MRSP. Yeah I know profit margins are slim these days but $70 for the Lance's Charizard box is a biiiiiit much.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Turbinosamente posted:

I didn't get enough poo poo for trade, only got two collection boxes: the Zacian pin box and the Dark Sylveon promo card box. Got four of the full art base set Pikachu though! And a Metwtwo ex and a Rocket's Zapdos for the retro subset. It was fun to open but I think I'm gonna tap out for the moment. I don't want to be sinking a ton of money into cards right now, and my LGS decided to debut a lot of the boxes at the market rate instead of MRSP. Yeah I know profit margins are slim these days but $70 for the Lance's Charizard box is a biiiiiit much.

I gave my ETB to a customer because of an inventory issue and I'm salty AF about it...

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I've been looking at getting back into the Pokemon TCG lately and really only have one roadblock from messing around with it with some friends- I don't really know how to build a deck. Is there like, a guide on what I should be thinking or looking at when trying to figure this stuff out somewhere? I don't mean like, specific 'use these cards' things, more like... a general overview, maybe covering stuff like the right ratios for like pokemon to trainers to energy or whatev? I've been enjoying playing theme decks in PTCGO but haven't figured out how to take that next step and make my own stuff.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I picked up the new Inteleon VMAX deck and followed this person’s guide for a few adjustments:

https://www.potownstore.com/upgrading-your-inteleon-vmax-league-battle-deck

It’s been serving me well. Tons of people don’t even bother to engage and just automatically concede.

My other deck is “dark boyz 2” that I threw together with a bunch of Dark Pokémon that also kills it. I’ll copy the card list in a bit and post it here.

Of course none of this applies if you’re going physical.

Dark Boyz 2

##Pokémon - 20

* 2 Crobat V DAA 182
* 2 Darkrai DAA 105
* 1 Galarian Moltres V CRE 97
* 2 Galarian Slowking V CRE 178
* 2 Greninja & Zoroark-GX UNB 107
* 2 Impidimp RCL 123
* 4 Qwilfish CRE 101
* 1 Umbreon V EVS 188
* 2 Morgrem RCL 124
* 1 Grimmsnarl RCL 125
* 1 Galarian Slowking VMAX CRE 100

##Trainer Cards - 20

* 4 Marnie PR-SW 121
* 2 Hop CPA 53
* 2 Agatha CRE 129
* 4 Boss's Orders RCL 154
* 4 Pokémon Catcher SSH 175
* 4 Switch SSH 183

##Energy - 20

* 20 Darkness Energy Energy 7

Total Cards - 60

Inteleon VMAX V2

##Pokémon - 21

* 1 Crobat V DAA 182
* 4 Inteleon V RCL 49
* 3 Snom SSH 63
* 4 Sobble SSH 55
* 3 Drizzile SSH 56
* 2 Frosmoth SSH 64
* 2 Inteleon SSH 58
* 2 Inteleon VMAX RCL 50

##Trainer Cards - 27

* 2 Evolution Incense SSH 163
* 1 Training Court RCL 169
* 1 Ordinary Rod SSH 171
* 4 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 3 Air Balloon SSH 156
* 2 Level Ball BST 129
* 2 Scoop Up Net RCL 165
* 4 Professor's Research SSH 178
* 3 Marnie SSH 169
* 2 Capacious Bucket RCL 156
* 3 Boss's Orders RCL 154

##Energy - 12

* 12 Water Energy SWSHEnergy 3

Total Cards - 60

Originally they called for 9 water energies which I just could not deal with. I dropped some balls and added energy.

IG-88 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 10, 2021

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Sea Lily posted:

I've been looking at getting back into the Pokemon TCG lately and really only have one roadblock from messing around with it with some friends- I don't really know how to build a deck. Is there like, a guide on what I should be thinking or looking at when trying to figure this stuff out somewhere? I don't mean like, specific 'use these cards' things, more like... a general overview, maybe covering stuff like the right ratios for like pokemon to trainers to energy or whatev? I've been enjoying playing theme decks in PTCGO but haven't figured out how to take that next step and make my own stuff.

I don't tend to build decks from scratch but I do sometimes tweak the netdecks I play, so I'll give you my own rough guide for deck-building based upon what I've learned since I started playing this game. Firstly, there's no hard and fast rule when it comes to card ratios, but I have six Standard decks at the moment and the ratio of all of them except for one is more or less :

20 Pokemon
30 Trainers
10 Energy

That's a pretty common split so it's probably not a bad place to start, but again, there are many exceptions based upon exactly what you're playing. As for actually choosing cards to put in your deck, I would say that the overall goal of any deck should be to get your Pokemon into play and full of energy as quickly and consistently as possible. Here are some things to consider...

Pokemon

There are two types of Pokemon : attackers and supporters. Assuming your goal is to build a deck that can compete in the current Standard meta, you will probably want to use Vs and VMAXes as your attackers, and in particular you should avoid using single-prize Stage 2 Pokemon as your attackers because outside of a few exceptions they're difficult to get into play and are prone to disruption. If you just want to build a deck with your favourite Pokemon, though, then go right ahead. That's what Rare Candy is for, after all!

So, attackers generally have high damage attacks and high HP, and you should generally stick to using one Pokemon as your attacker. When thinking about how many copies to include, ask yourself : how badly do I need this card to win? What if I don't get one in my opening hand? What happens if it gets prized? In this case, you'll want to include four copies of its basic form and 3-4 of its evolved form (assuming its VMAX form is preferred). Sometimes you may want a backup attacker to take advantage of or mitigate type weaknesses, in which case you probably want 1-2 copies of it. The rest of your Pokemon should be supporters.

Supporters don't have good attacks and often don't have great HP, but they do have powerful abilities which help you get your important cards into play, or they protect or enhance your attackers. You generally don't want more than 1-2 copies of most supporters, with a few notable exceptions.

Trainers

I like to divide Trainers into two categories : draw supporters, and everything else. Draw supporters do exactly what you would expect : they draw cards. Most successful decks devote a lot of room to cards which draw other cards or search for (or tutor) specific ones. In fact, one of the main differences between PTCG and other card games I've played is the sheer amount of tutoring and cycling you do every game. Your draw supporters save you from a bad opening hand, they restock your hand after you dump it onto the table, and they let you see more of your deck or more of the cards you need to win the game. Professor's Research and Marnie are two common ones that fit into just about any deck, and Marnie also doubles as disruption to prevent your opponent from getting what they want in their hand. You'll generally want 3-4 of each of them, or other equivalent cards depending upon what exactly you're playing.

As for your other Trainers, you'll want a mix of cards which provide utility for your deck, and again, the numbers depend upon how important they are. Quick Ball lets you put any basic Pokemon onto your bench, which is extremely important because you need Pokemon to win, so you'll probably always want four copies. But Ordinary Rod (which shuffles Pokemon and energy from your discard pile back into your deck) is something you probably don't want to see until late in a game when your discard pile is filling up, so you should only include 1-2 copies.

As a general rule, it's better to include Trainers which help your deck win rather than try to counter what you're opponent is doing, but there are a decent amount of cards which can do both quite efficiently, like certain Tools and Stadiums. One thing to consider is that if a particular Stadium like Path to the Peak has the potential to cripple your deck then including a few Stadiums of your own, even if they aren't particularly good, can help you deal with it by simply knocking it off the board.

You'll probably want to include a number of Trainers which let you move your Pokemon into or out of the active spot (like Switch) or do the same to your opponent's active Pokemon (like Boss's Orders), and you may want some healing effects, though they're generally pretty worthless outside of a few exceptions (like Cheryl). The last thing I'll say about Trainers is that all or some of these draw or utility effects can also be provided by your Pokemon depending upon which ones you use, so it's really about finding the right balance for your deck.

Energy

When it comes to energy, the only thing you need to consider is how much to include. So ask yourself, how many energy does my attacker need for its main attack? Does it discard energy after attacking? Does my deck have a lot of effects which can tutor it into play or attach it from the discard pile? A lot of netdecks run the bare minimum required and sometimes one of the first changes I make is to add an extra energy, but this is something you'll probably want to fine tune after playing your deck a bunch of times.

Hopefully most of that makes sense. Before I finish, I'll do a brief overview of my current favourite deck...

This is Jolteon, currently one of the top meta decks, and it's great fun to play because it has a huge number of synergies which you only really discover by playing it. So, in light of my advice above, the attacker here is Jolteon VMAX and our main attack is Max Thunder Rumble.

For supporters we have the Shady Dealings line, which consists of a bunch of Drizziles and Inteleons with an ability that lets you tutor your deck for any Trainer card. This is currently a very popular line to include because that tutor effect is extremely powerful, and it's why in this case we actually have four copies each of Sobble, Drizzile, and Inteleon (though two of the Inteleons actually have the Quick Shooting ability, which allows them to put damage counters on any enemy Pokemon). We also have two copies of Galarian Zigzagoon, which has an ability called Headbutt Tantrum which lets us put a damage counter on any enemy Pokemon when the Zigzagoon comes into play. The Tantrum and Quick Shooting abilities support our Jolteon VMAX by letting it 'mark' targets for Max Thunder Rumble.

For Trainers, we have the standard Marnies, Researches, and Quick Balls, but we also have three Level Balls because they let us tutor Sobbles, Drizziles, and the Goon, and four copies of Evolution Incense because they allow us to tutor not only our Jolteon VMAX, but also those Shady Dealings Drizziles and Inteleons, which helps thin out the deck and make it more likely we'll draw the cards we need.

One thing about the Shady Dealings line is that because it provides a universal tutoring effect for any Trainer card it means we can afford to run fewer copies of certain situationally useful cards like Ordinary Rod. This deck also only packs one copy of Boss's Orders because the entire point of the deck is to snipe the opponent's bench with Max Thunder Rumble so it often doesn't matter which Pokemon is in their active spot.

The deck only runs eight energy because with the Elemental Badge we only need one energy in play to use Max Thunder Rumble, and it's also why Cheryl fits particularly well here because it doesn't matter if we have to discard one to use her ability. The single copy of Energy Search also makes sense in light of this; it essentially allows us to put an energy into play with Shady Dealings.

The Scoop Up Net lets us return a single prize Pokemon to our hand, which in this case means we can return a Shady Dealings Pokemon to make use of its tutoring ability again, or we can return a Zigzagoon to mark another target for sniping.

And that's the deck!

And the very last thing before I finish is just a few comments about what the current Standard meta looks like :

1) Sniping decks like this one are quite popular at the moment.
2) 2HKO, or 2-Hit Knockout, is currently the norm, which means that most Pokemon aren't capable of knocking out an enemy with fewer than two hits.
3) This is because most decks use the high-HP Pokemon VMAXes as their main attackers, but some decks use Pokemon Vs, and the ones that use Vs generally also use tools which increase their HP to bring them out of the 1HKO range. This is one reason why Tool Scrapper is currently a very useful thing to have.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 11, 2021

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Opened up a couple Celebration packs that came with my pin collection thing.

That Pikachu though, drat

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Maybe a weird ask but does anybody have a good printable list of all pokemon organized both by alphabetical and by their dex number (so two separate lists)? I’m going to organize all of my kids’ and mine’s cards by dex number and am thinking having a couple lists I can easily print would be super useful.

Also are there any sites selling Celebrations for a reasonable price? I got lucky and walked into Target release day morning and stumbled upon fully stocked shelves and bought a few ETBs but my hits were pretty lovely and now I’m addicted. Plan to post my doubles in the buy/sell thread in the hopes of completing the set.

e: found a system that kinda works, finishing up gen 2.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 11, 2021

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Kalko posted:

I don't tend to build decks from scratch but I do sometimes tweak the netdecks I play, so I'll give you my own rough guide for deck-building based upon what I've learned since I started playing this game. Firstly, there's no hard and fast rule when it comes to card ratios, but I have six Standard decks at the moment and the ratio of all of them except for one is more or less (etc)

This is all incredibly helpful, thank you so much! I was definitely approaching deckbuilding wrong in a few ways.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Louisgod posted:

Maybe a weird ask but does anybody have a good printable list of all pokemon organized both by alphabetical and by their dex number (so two separate lists)? I’m going to organize all of my kids’ and mine’s cards by dex number and am thinking having a couple lists I can easily print would be super useful.

Also are there any sites selling Celebrations for a reasonable price? I got lucky and walked into Target release day morning and stumbled upon fully stocked shelves and bought a few ETBs but my hits were pretty lovely and now I’m addicted. Plan to post my doubles in the buy/sell thread in the hopes of completing the set.

When you say dex number, do you mean the national Pokédex number, or set number?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Louisgod posted:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_National_Pok%C3%A9dex_number
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_name
Excel handles copy and pasting from here well enough.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 11, 2021

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

numerrik posted:

When you say dex number, do you mean the national Pokédex number, or set number?

National dex number, starting with bulbasaur. Made it through gen 4 last night and need to hunt down more card binders today. Surprisingly only missing ~10 pokemon so far, mostly babies.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I know it's Nintendo and all but I wish you could chat with people in the game. Put an age restriction or some poo poo but let me talk to these people.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

IG-88 posted:

I know it's Nintendo and all but I wish you could chat with people in the game. Put an age restriction or some poo poo but let me talk to these people.

Yeah the emojis aren't quite enough and neither are the canned phrases. I gotta sit down and make a new deck cause apparently I've been thinking about it all wrong as well based on Kalkos' effort post above.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Looks like VSTAR is the new GX.

Debuting in Japan's January set, Star Birth, the VSTARs evolve from Vs, give two prizes, and only one VSTAR ability can be used per game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Still amazed at how the game has changed. Digging my old cards out and comparing to the online client or those cards is wild

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The way they've structured the Vstar Power allows them to do abilities, moves, or even both in there. Or two different options. It'll be interesting to see how else that's used.

Though this is definitely feeling like some unnecessary power creep, on this card at least. But I'm not really used to Vmax cards or the old GX stuff so maybe I just haven't played enough yet to really understand it?

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...
I'd say the power creep is real, but Arceus, Dialga, and Palkia GX was a thing, and I don't think I could handle having to remember all the combos in Expanded.

In other news, I've been having good luck with this Vikavolt deck (from AzulGG)

##Pokémon - 15

* 4 Vikavolt V DAA 60
* 4 Sobble SSH 55
* 4 Drizzile SSH 56
* 3 Inteleon CRE 43

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 1 Fan of Waves BST 127
* 3 Cape of Toughness DAA 160
* 4 Crushing Hammer EPO 92
* 2 Evolution Incense SSH 163
* 4 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 1 Team Yell Grunt SSH 184
* 1 Tool Scrapper RCL 168
* 1 Energy Search SSH 161
* 1 Raihan EVS 152
* 2 Boss's Orders SHF 58
* 3 Level Ball BST 129
* 1 Scoop Up Net RCL 165
* 3 Professor's Research SSH 178
* 4 Marnie SSH 169
* 3 Path to the Peak CRE 148
* 1 Switch SSH 183

##Energy - 10

* 3 Capture Energy RCL 171
* 4 Speed Lightning Energy RCL 173
* 3 Lightning Energy SWSHEnergy 4

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online https://www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I managed to get a 15 win streak with it, although a lot of them are from forfeits once I set up. Stopping opponents from using Item cards is crushing, especially if they don't get to set up their Stadiums/Tools, the Drizzile help with getting the cards you need at the right time, and Inteleon's Quick Shooting scores a lot of KOs (I've been trying to get the 12 KOs with electric Pokémon challenge, but Inteleon usually finishes them off). It was also pretty cheap to trade and get the cards I needed, compared to other V or Vmax decks.

I only run into issues when I don't get set up quickly (not getting enough Sobbles into play), not getting the Energy attachments per turn (only 1 Energy Search), or either flavor of Urshifu.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I only started playing last year so I have no frame of reference for how the game used to be before the GX power creep, but I did wonder at the time why anyone would use any of the tiny little single prize Pokemon when there were so many of the super high HP ones to choose from.

If I had to guess I'd say the game gravitated towards bigger numbers to uncompress the power curve, by which I mean having Pokemon HP/attack ranging from 50-100 is more restrictive than 50-300 so it opens a lot of design space to differentiate Pokemon power levels. In practice, of course, there's really only two main power brackets (single prizers, and the rest) but I think there's something to be said for the visceral feeling of dealing 200+ damage with an attack and how it would probably feel less impactful if those smaller Pokemon weren't around.

Diminishing returns sets in pretty fast when it comes to raising the numbers, though, so I don't expect we'll see 500HP Pokemon anytime soon. It reminds me of World of Warcraft's scaling resets. Originally, player attacks would deal 100-200 damage (for example only, I don't remember the actual stats) but because WoW's power curve scaled exponentially, after five expansions players were dealing hundreds of thousands of damage per second with attacks hitting for well over 100k.

The designers talked about various solutions, including just adding more zeros onto the numbers, but somewhere along the way you lose meaning when you're hitting for numbers above a certain threshold that your brain can really process. Their solution was simply to scale all attacks and HP back to the original values so that once again you're hitting for 100-200, renewing the cycle.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Mmtheblue posted:

I'd say the power creep is real, but Arceus, Dialga, and Palkia GX was a thing, and I don't think I could handle having to remember all the combos in Expanded.

I think ADPZ and Pikarom were worse but everybody having an inteleon line to smooth out their draws makes it seem worse when it's just two different problems, mega consistent Pokemon or mega consistent trainer cards. At least we get to play different pokemon all with inteleon now imo

Kierena
Oct 15, 2010
So I managed to grab a dark sylveon tin at a Walmart before the dude bros showed up to clear it out and I got this funky dude! the sold listings are around $60 but the listed prices are in the $300 range and I’m so confused by what’s happening to the supply chain and valuation on Pokémon cards. I used to recommend it as a fun intro to TCGs to parents but now I can’t in good conscience do that with all the scalping.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Kierena posted:

So I managed to grab a dark sylveon tin at a Walmart before the dude bros showed up to clear it out and I got this funky dude! the sold listings are around $60 but the listed prices are in the $300 range and I’m so confused by what’s happening to the supply chain and valuation on Pokémon cards. I used to recommend it as a fun intro to TCGs to parents but now I can’t in good conscience do that with all the scalping.

My understanding of what's happening is:
Partly supply line poo poo that affects everything.
Partly (based on what I see in MTG and vintage video games, and probably other places) because the Pandemic made a lot of sad fat neckbeards in their 30s (like me!) to want to rebuy their childhoods.
Partly due to Bitcoin FOMO and the popularization of things like Robinhood and meme stonks generally making casual observers want to speculate with investments, and some of that is through collectibles due to the influence of things like as well as MTGFinance/Alpha Investments promoting certain limited run products even outside the big names.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Some Pokenews :

- Pokemon TCG Live, the PTCGO replacement, has been delayed until 2022. Hopefully this gives them time to replace the ugly avatars with more anime-styled ones like in Pokemon Unite.

- Card codes for Fusion Strike have the Live branding but they will still work in PTCGO.

- Fusion Strike releases later this week (the 12th) and it is apparently the biggest ever English set, with 284 cards. Full spoiler list here.

- The February set is called Brilliant Stars, with a handful of new VSTAR Pokemon as headliners. And it has been confirmed that VSTAR is used for both abilities and attacks (you can still only use one VSTAR power per game).

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I went to a prerelease event for Fusion Strike this past saturday, and based on the pulls of everyone there, it might be a lil difficult to get anything specific from it. I did manage to get a Mew Vmax at least, and a full-art Crabominable V- and plenty of V pokes, but, we'll see. my ETB shipped out pretty early and should be arriving tomorrow so that'll tell me if I'm gonna want to buy more of this set or not.

pretty excited for Brilliant Stars, though. very interested in seeing the Vstar Whimsicott and Shaymin, those two are some of my fav pokemon so it'd be great if they're good cards.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, I know the standard advice for any TCG is to never buy packs to try to get something specific but when I saw how big Fusion Strike was it seemed like the worst proposition ever. I suppose gambling has a certain timeless appeal, but the TCG model just seems so old school these days. Maybe it's just because I don't really follow them anymore, and also I've bought into FFG's LCGs in a pretty big way.

With the rise of digital card games are there even any major physical TCGs left besides MTG and Pokemon? I guess Yu-Gi-Oh is still a thing but I've never followed it because the cards have too many words, they're ugly as sin, and everything I've ever read about the game itself makes it sound like a pile of poo poo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kalko posted:

With the rise of digital card games are there even any major physical TCGs left besides MTG and Pokemon? I guess Yu-Gi-Oh is still a thing but I've never followed it because the cards have too many words, they're ugly as sin, and everything I've ever read about the game itself makes it sound like a pile of poo poo.

M:tG is the undisputed King.
Pokemon is a distant 2nd.
Yu-Gi-Oh still exists.

That's 99% of the market, there.

In Asia, Cardfight Vanguard is still a thing.
Dragonball Super and Digimon still put out sets.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Digimon still exists? I found some of my old cards and was wondering if anyone still played or collected

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I could not tell you anything about it, as to whether it is the same game, whether the old cards are legal or valuable, or if it is something altogether new (as is the case with Dragon Ball Super). I just know it still flashes up at the bottom of sales charts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Digimon has a small rabid following, I think there was a revamp since the original early 2000s cards, of which I have a few.

A shame that Live is delayed because holy hell does tcgo need a refresh and it would he easier to just nuke and start over for an online poke card game app. I was legit looking forward to a fresh start.

Good to know the score with fusion strike, I won't be investing heavy into cards in general for a while and it sounds like a good decision with this particular set. No more booster boxes for me, but still going to the card shop tonight to see if anything is left.

And finally new whimsicott card!?! gently caress yes he is my favorite boy! I'll settle for nice art but I agree it would be nice if he was actually usable in game. Still miffed that whimsicott got a shittier moveset in SWSH the video game too.