Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

the_steve posted:

Yeah. This one pilot I used to work with swears that not only did he have COVID, but all he had to do to beat it was take some vitamin c and some zinc, and his doctor has officially declared him super-immune, and no he was never actually diagnosed as having had COVID, but his doctor totes told him it was covid.
Ugh. It doesn't help that the 2019 flu strains were really weird and awful, with multiple waves that started rather early, so if anyone had a cough after... October, people just selective memory it as "COVID-19! and it has a 19 in the name even".

Next step, an antibody test: "Oh it was negative, but those tests probably just aren't accurate and I had it too long ago for enough antibodies to be in my system".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Bourgeois bird is born privileged, and despite being the only one with the means, he refuses to spend minimal energy opening the cage. A Good Meme.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/04/14/cutter-polio-vaccine-paralyzed-children-coronavirus/

.000425% of kids were paralyzed from it, .0000417% of kids died.

Regular ol' polio kills between 2.5-10% of infected kids iirc.

"Evidence only matters if it supports my position, anything else is part of the global medical conspiracy/big pharma."

- also my Godfather, and this was all last year even before the vaccines came out.

I spent months trying to make him and most of his family understand that COVID was real, masks work and there was tons of evidence supporting this and his responses were always a mixture of head in the sand ignoring anything that didn't agree with him and batshit insane conspiracy theories. "COVID is a scheme for hospitals to make money they even passed a law to funnel money to hospitals" was met with me providing the actual text of what was passed and his response was "I've done the math." ... :sigh:

We didn't speak much after last summer and not all since mid-January.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Lol done what math, even college grads with degrees heavy in math can look like a deer in head light when you give them a basic home/personal banking/fin problem.

Like just look at the 2nd spike in enthusiasm in NFTs. It contains the vocab word fungible. And this is a non F token, it must be this one weird trick to be a trillionaire.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

robziel posted:

"I've done the math."
... and the more people that have died, the less likely I am to get it! It's just basic fox/rabbit modeling: The more rabbits that get eaten, the more the foxes will die from starvation!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

BiggerBoat posted:

Do any of these types ever wonder why they haven't gotten the measles or polio? Are they mad at their parents for violating their freedoms?

The standard antivaxx response is that polio and measles were defeated by people having better access to food and more balanced diets, as well as advances in medical technology that weren't vaccines. It's just a coincidence that measles and polio cases went down around the time vaccines were created, but they weren't responsible for it, people living an overall healthier lifestyle was.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The op has no idea what any of those words mean, but I'm sure they're very proud of their sign

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Dear Jews,

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

How are they upset about globalists but are signing as the entire human race..?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Didn't capitalise We The People, fake patriot

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Minenfeld! posted:

How are they upset about globalists but are signing as the entire human race..?

The entire human race, to them, is white people from anglo nations. Maybe western Europe if they're feeling generous.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

So what experience does Trump bring to the table?

"He was the host of a popular reality TV show!"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

So what experience does Trump bring to the table?

"He was the host of a popular reality TV show!"

I like the "he's a GREAT business man" comments I hear on the reg.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yup "He's made billions so he knows how to run a successful business, which is what the US needs!". Never mind the fact that 99% of his businesses go bankrupt.

The thing is, IN THEORY I sort of understand that sentiment, but not from the same angle. I wish we had a government that could minimize wasteful spending, but no one man is gonna fix that.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Medullah posted:

Yup "He's made billions so he knows how to run a successful business, which is what the US needs!". Never mind the fact that 99% of his businesses go bankrupt.

The thing is, IN THEORY I sort of understand that sentiment, but not from the same angle. I wish we had a government that could minimize wasteful spending, but no one man is gonna fix that.
Trump minimized waste by not paying his contractors and cutting corners! Just what the US needs!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Trump minimized waste by not paying his contractors and cutting corners! Just what the US needs!

Heh that's why I say IN THEORY. In reality, it just don't exist. "Good businessman" is just screwing someone else over, for the most part

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah, so great that Deutsche Bank has single handedly kept the Trump Hotel afloat over the past couple of years.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I'm voting in fear of everything I swore daily was coming to pass during eight years of a Democrat in office (and also every day before that) but which never happened! I have less capacity for reflection than a vampire before a mirror!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

disposablewords posted:

I'm voting in fear of everything I swore daily was coming to pass during eight years of a Democrat in office (and also every day before that) but which never happened! I have less capacity for reflection than a vampire before a mirror!

"Here are all the things I'm voting for Trump in 2024 for!"

"But I mean, he said he was going to do all this stuff in 2016..."

"But this time he's definitely going to do it!"

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yeah, so great that Deutsche Bank has single handedly kept the Trump Hotel afloat over the past couple of years.
I'm behind on the thread but I want to ask for input on this:

SCOTUS Judge Kennedy retired while Trump was in office, giving him a 3rd appointment to the court.

Judge Kennedy is still relatively young, especially to be leaving this appointment, which is of course for life.

Did he really want to retire or was he encouraged?

His son worked for Deutsche Bank, didn't he? I know there are questions about Kavanaugh's debts being paid off, too (not necessarily directly related). What about this $170M DB gifted to Trump when they restructured his loan? Any chance Kennedy's son is involved?

In my mind I am thinking about all these Republicans covering up Trump's coup. We know he directed the DOJ to overthrow the election, though they balked just short of sending that letter to GA from main Justice. Bill Barr helped up to the point, and the other DOJ guys did too; but this Jeffery Clark situation, it makes me wonder what is all connected. I suspect as a whole it's all inter-connected with the administration of crime trying to crime their way into control forever and ever, amen.

But specifically, this news about DB and knowing what we do know about Kennedy's son; is this likely to turn out to be a smoking gun that a sitting SCOTUS justice sold his seat to the current President?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 10, 2021

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm behind on the thread but I want to ask for input on this:

SCOTUS Judge Kennedy retired while Trump was in office, giving him a 3rd appointment to the court.

Judge Kennedy is still relatively young, especially to be leaving this appointment, which is of course for life.

Did he really want to retire or was he encouraged?

His son worked for Deutsche Bank, didn't he? I know there are questions about Kavanaugh's debts being paid off, too (not necessarily directly related). What about this $170M DB gifted to Trump when they restructured his loan? Any chance Kennedy's son is involved?

In my mind I am thinking about all these Republicans covering up Trump's coup. We know he directed the DOJ to overthrow the election, though they balked just short of sending that letter to GA from main Justice. Bill Barr helped up to the point, and the other DOJ guys did too; but this Jeffery Clark situation, it makes me wonder what is all connected. I suspect as a whole it's all inter-connected with the administration of crime trying to crime their way into control forever and ever, amen.

But specifically, this news about DB and knowing what we do know about Kennedy's son; is this likely to turn out to be a smoking gun that a sitting SCOTUS justice sold his seat to the current President?

At the very least, the timing is convenient. I want to be careful because I don't want to come across as a left-wing version of Qanon (though I think I'm among people who get what I'm saying), but: yeah, I think there is some dirty dealing there, either from Kennedy deciding to retire, Kav and his mysteriously canceled debts, or both.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

All of that could be verifiably true and it probably wouldn’t matter

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I don't think it's actually illegal for that to happen anyway, since the president doesn't have ultimate power to nominate justices, they have to be confirmed by the Senate. In theory that means if the Senate thinks the nomination is fishy or the person is otherwise unqualified, they can just reject that nominee. I guess maybe there could be a scandal if enough members of Congress said they were unaware and would have voted to reject if they had known there were suspicious circumstances at the time, but since Republicans controlled the Senate and they would have voted to confirm anyone Trump wanted, it wouldn't matter.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
6-3 Opinion says that no wrongdoing by anyone involved because no one said the words quid-pro-quo so there is no way to determine if there was bribery. Justice Kavanaugh writing.

Justice Thomas writes a concurrence that says justices should have never been questioned in the first place.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Dameius posted:

6-3 Opinion says that no wrongdoing by anyone involved because no one said the words quid-pro-quo so there is no way to determine if there was bribery. Justice Kavanaugh writing.

Justice Thomas writes a concurrence that says justices should have never been questioned in the first place.

Reminder that it was not that long ago than people in the bad thread were literally claiming that politicians couldn't be bribed unless you were literally handing them a big bag full of cash labeled as "$$$ Money For Bribes $$$" on it, and therefore lobbyists weren't technically bribing anybody with those multi-million dollar getaways they always take politicians on.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

boz
Oct 16, 2005

FUNNY THOUGHTS
AND JOKES

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

What the gently caress is "the new generation" supposed to be? I'm in my 40s and vaguely remember having seen a rotary phone as a child, and have never had a TV without a remote.

HOW TO FRIGHTEN THE NEW GENERATION: PUT THEM IN A ROOM WITH A COTTON GIN AND AN ARCHIMEDES' SCREW, LEAVE INSTRUCTIONS IN CUNEIFORM

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

In an age of hyperpolarization that's just the standard whenever your political team takes a bribe.

Other guy takes a bribe: "despicable! How can his voters overlook that naked corruption, they must all be stupid or evil or both" etc etc

My guy takes a bribe: "You can't PROVE the money influenced his behavior, maybe he just wanted to govern in that industry's favor because he likes them so much (because they send nice guys to Washington to give him free money", "OH, so now you can't take lucrative sinecures from foreign oligarchs or sell your lovely art for huge sums to people who want influence with your dad just because he's the president?! So the president's kid isn't allowed to have a job now and has to starve on the street?! You want politicians and their families to die broke and penniless?!?!" etc, etc

Whoever figured out how to get people to treat politics and political parties like sports fandom or nation-state loyalties where it's all about bellyfeels and in-group reinforcement and winning against the other side, instead of about policy and material outcomes was an evil genius.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

This Is the Zodiac posted:

What the gently caress is "the new generation" supposed to be? I'm in my 40s and vaguely remember having seen a rotary phone as a child, and have never had a TV without a remote.

HOW TO FRIGHTEN THE NEW GENERATION: PUT THEM IN A ROOM WITH A COTTON GIN AND AN ARCHIMEDES' SCREW, LEAVE INSTRUCTIONS IN CUNEIFORM

It's to show that kids these days don't understand technology like their elders do!

Posted by my aunt on her 3rd Facebook account because she doesn't know how to reset a password.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Medullah posted:

It's to show that kids these days don't understand technology like their elders do!

Posted by my aunt on her 3rd Facebook account because she doesn't know how to reset a password.

Practically everyone in my family over 45 has had their account duplicated as a bot

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maybe different socioeconomic circumstances, because I’m also in the first half of my 40s and used rotary phones through much of elementary school, plus I clearly remember how amazing it was when we got our first TV with a remote.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's also pretty hilarious that a kid who wanted to watch tv wouldn't figure out how to turn a dial, especially when the old person's other favorite vintage joke is about how they make programming your VCR so complicated you need to have your grandson come over.

If anything, the real challenge would be finding a kid who would sit bored in a room with electronics with big chunky buttons and dials on them and not start messing with them just to see what they do.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I would be pretty frightened if I woke up in a random room with a phone that didn't work because the exchange doesn't recognize pulse dialing, a TV that got nothing but static because all the analog stations are off air, a watch that I can't trust the time on because I have no idea when it was last wound or set, and a bunch of commands written by a deranged boomer with a fountain pen.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

How to frighten the old generation:
Put them in a room.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

To be fair, they're equally frightened by everything outside too.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

To be fair, they're equally frightened by everything outside too.

Outside is just a really big room with a skylight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

How to frighten the older generation: Ask them politely to wear a mask.