Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ending Question: I keep looking back at it and I don't really get why X Cloak saves you. Like, I took it that it has all his memories and the chozo part of him somehow took over?? But at the same time if that were the case why did it turn the EMMI back on?

I can think of 2 possible explanations for the last thing. I assume it's as Taurus Oxford said and Quiet Robe X realized too much poo poo was going down at that point to leave Samus underpowered and reactivated the EMMIs so she could get their abilities.

Or that QR-X was just simply repeating the last line and was trying to kill Samus cause it was an X. But eventually Quiet Robe's benevolence won out. He just didn't get to the X first in that case cause the X instincts were in effect there and trying to kill Samus.

For the first thing I assume either the Chozo were wrong about all the X being mindless evil, or Quiet Robe's benevolence and willpower won out and carried over to the X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Speaking of Ridley, I want another fight with him in a Dread like game. Him not being here feels off. Maybe give Dread an update that gives a new area in that large empty space on the global map with a Ridley fight.

He was the final boss of Samus Returns and despite what arguments you can make about him destroying the narrative or whatever, he’s easily the most fun boss in that game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Your Computer posted:

it's simple, you just

https://i.imgur.com/htfMq5o.mp4

(i have since been told this is not the intended way)

Wondering what the intended way would be then, short of using the room to the right to help build a shine spark.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Araxxor posted:

I can think of 2 possible explanations for the last thing. I assume it's as Taurus Oxford said and Quiet Robe X realized too much poo poo was going down at that point to leave Samus underpowered and reactivated the EMMIs so she could get their abilities.

Or that QR-X was just simply repeating the last line and was trying to kill Samus cause it was an X. But eventually Quiet Robe's benevolence won out. He just didn't get to the X first in that case cause the X instincts were in effect there and trying to kill Samus.

For the first thing I assume either the Chozo were wrong about all the X being mindless evil, or Quiet Robe's benevolence and willpower won out and carried over to the X.

The other thing I wonder is whether QR-X had a role in the real ADAM being up to speed enough where he’s able to warn Samus about how she will drain the ship. Yeah, ADAM is a super powerful AI but if we assume that he last saw her before she touched down on the surface, and everything in between was “ADAM” talking about how Raven Beak has an 8-pack and was shredded, I would think that Samus suddenly showing up as a literal Metroid would confuse the gently caress out of it. That is, unless QR-X did fill in ADAM about everything, especially since ADAM doesn’t even warn Samus that a goddamn X-Parasite is in her *ship*

I dunno, that entire situation is interesting to think about for me

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
It's crazy the janky poo poo you do to sequence break that they've accounted for, indeed made on purpose.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

snoremac posted:

It's crazy the janky poo poo you do to sequence break that they've accounted for, indeed made on purpose.

if its made on purpose is it still a sequence break makes u :thunk:

(i agree, seeing the thing for having bombs at Kraid was amazing)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I wish there wasn't a death scene cheesecake shot of Samus so that when she talks halfway through the game there could still be a bunch of fun "wtf metroid is a girl" posts to read on reddit from first time players but thinking about it the poor girl has featured so heavily in certain drawn media that it probably wouldn't have worked in the first place.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

CuddleCryptid posted:

I wish there wasn't a death scene cheesecake shot of Samus so that when she talks halfway through the game there could still be a bunch of fun "wtf metroid is a girl" posts to read on reddit from first time players but thinking about it the poor girl has featured so heavily in certain drawn media that it probably wouldn't have worked in the first place.

thanks for spoiling that samus is a woman... jerk

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

thanks for spoiling that samus is a woman... jerk

I only know because someone told me, I've certainly never seen a death screen :smuggo:

VVV Tbf that is still weird even in context. I now get that it's supposed to be something from Other M but i never played that game so when I started Dread I was going "why is this AI such an rear end in a top hat"

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 11, 2021

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
"loving weird this AI keeps calling me LADY"

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

CuddleCryptid posted:

VVV Tbf that is still weird even in context. I now get that it's supposed to be something from Other M but i never played that game so when I started Dread I was going "why is this AI such an rear end in a top hat"

Technically it's something from Fusion, and in the game Samus even mentioned how Adam would make it sound dignified so she never minded it. It's other M that made it weird.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

CuddleCryptid posted:

I only know because someone told me, I've certainly never seen a death screen :smuggo:

In Metroid Fusion, the first time Samus talks about Adam she mentions how Adam always used to call her Lady. And while normally something like that would piss her off it kind of sounded respectful or something coming from her CO, and it became an inside joke between them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CuddleCryptid posted:

I now get that it's supposed to be something from Other M but i never played that game so when I started Dread I was going "why is this AI such an rear end in a top hat"
fwiw it was actually from fusion and other m can be fully and entirely ignored as non-canon, please never play it or think about it ever again

e: beaten, good

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4JvJwNsXJQ

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Oxyclean posted:

Wondering what the intended way would be then, short of using the room to the right to help build a shine spark.

https://imgur.com/a/UoYs3gZ

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Going on my Second Run here, and I'd just like to say Congratulations to MercurySteam for quite possibly making the first underwater sequence in any Metroid game that isn't boring as poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’s wild. Might have to grab this game sooner than later if there’s more cool poo poo like this.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

I got this tank, but I still don't know the exact mechanics of going boosted ball -> charging a spark

I did it but I'm not sure how

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
you need to unmorph to charge it but you can charge it as soon as you do

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I got this tank, but I still don't know the exact mechanics of going boosted ball -> charging a spark

I did it but I'm not sure how

If you slide into a tunnel, Samus will morph automatically and then unmorph herself as soon as she can.
So here it's slide into tunnel, get out of tunnel to store a shine spark, morph back into tunnel, blow up the bomb blocks and ballspark up.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Oh my God I didn't even think to use the giant pathway outside the shrine to build up speed. My brain is so small. :downs:

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I finished it! 100% items in 15 hours. That may sound long but that's at least 11,000% faster than my Fusion run!

I have many thoughts about what I just witnessed tho. MANY THOUGHTS. Going to read the thread first before I chime in.

Just gonna say it though this is the best Metroid in terms of gameplay IMO. I hope they make... another.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Went back and 100%'d it. It rarely happens that I actually want to 100% a game, but this was great and painless. I've never done shinespark stuff before, that was fun as hell

Bummed that it's over... Looking forward to watching speedruns......

Kinda want DLC. Bowser's Fury style, with a new non-canon area with Ridley????? gimme

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
"Why can't metroid crawl" has a whole new meaning when you literally turn in to a metroid.

Did I turn on hard mode by accident? I'm taking 4x more damage from things than seems reasonable. I have a hard time seeing kids beat this game.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Let's have a Metroid game where every boss fight is Ridley

Samus stumbles into a secret Space Pirate lab where they've done nothing but clone Ridley for 10 years

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Arzaac posted:

Let's have a Metroid game where every boss fight is Ridley

Samus stumbles into a secret Space Pirate lab where they've done nothing but clone Ridley for 10 years

may as well go whole hog, every regular enemy can be various ridley stages too

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

As long as I get to kill little chicken Ridley over and over.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I just barely had enough ridley missiles to kill Ridley so now that I have the ridley suit I'm going to go ridley jump (which is just flapping your arms and squawking) around and see what I get

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

RBA Starblade posted:

I just barely had enough ridley missiles to kill Ridley so now that I have the ridley suit I'm going to go ridley jump (which is just flapping your arms and squawking) around and see what I get

If you beat the game fast enough, you get a small ending cutscene that reveals that you're actually Ridley.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

it's hosed up that ridley killed samus' parents but think of all the good games we got out of it...

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Started playing Dread, really enjoying it so far. Its the first metroid I've played since since being a little kid finding myself lost in the depths of Kraid in the original game, thats had parts that make me feel a sense of terror, or.... dread if you will. They've all been fun action exploration games, but nothing in them has seemed 'scary' since then, so its really nice seeing them find a way to bring back that element in the form of the EMMI stuff. Also nice to get lost now and then after the linearity of the "previous" game in fusion and actual previous game, the M2 remake.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it's hosed up that ridley killed samus' parents but think of all the good games we got out of it...

I think Samus makes too big a deal over it she has like 15 parents at this point

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 11, 2021

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Did could her parents fly? No. Did her parents have advanced bounty hunting tech? No. Did her parents hide suit upgrades in weird statues all over the galaxy? No.

Really, ridley did her a favor

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

God drat the speed booster puzzles in this game are fun.

https://i.imgur.com/Kwt9QDZ.mp4

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
We'll retroactively find out her parents kidnapped her and ridley was just trying to get his daughter back

e: I'm glad they even have callbacks to metroid pinball in this game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Floor is lava posted:

"Why can't metroid crawl" has a whole new meaning when you literally turn in to a metroid.
i am almost wondering if the devs made her The Metroid™ just to get back at the players accidentally calling her metroid for 30 years

that said, (ending spoilers within) holy poo poo the ending was everything i could've ever hoped for an i am so here for monster-samus hulking out. i was already gay for samus before this game, but drat

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

petcarcharodon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEk5BzeUJBE

it took me a bit to find a video of it but I think this is the developer intended way, it's what i did, though i started from outside the shuttle door on the left

Oh son of a bitch that's how you do that??

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Regarding the ending, since the Thoho DNA in the Quiet Robe X managed to remove/control the Metroid in her, that means Samus's body also contains the genetic material of all of the different creatures that the X have transformed into, that she then absorbed.

Samus is a genetic freak.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

Regarding the ending, since the Thoho DNA in the Quiet Robe X managed to remove/control the Metroid in her, that means Samus's body also contains the genetic material of all of the different creatures that the X have transformed into, that she then absorbed.

yes :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Terper posted:

shes not normal