Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Ropes twist. Side loads happen in the real world.

Recreational climbers are cheap and count grams, but their pulleys aren't held together with circlips. Arborist and firefighter gear sure as hell isn't.

Do any other rigging disciplines / professions do that thing with putting blankets over the lines in case their gear snaps? What the gently caress is that about? Why is your gear breaking so often? I feel like no one else does this, just offroaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Wire rope will snap and gently caress poo poo up, but synthetic wire rope doesn't (usually) so with regular cable that's why they use a blanket or whatever. I've had winch lines break while trying to drag my drill out the mud, the one piece made a dent in metal. That would make an even bigger dent in someone's head. So I think it's mostly to keep broken pieces from flying too far/ too hard or whatever.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Off-roaders often take opportunistic angles over varied terrain. Dragging a rope through mud/sand/over and around rocks etc. Also I think very few people service /inspect/ clean winching ropes regularly.

Edit: looks like you start getting into other snatch block arrangements in the industrial realm. Things from Crosby or Warn’s industrial line. https://thetrailerpartsoutlet.com/p...ASABEgInM_D_BwE

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 9, 2021

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I've snapped 7/64" amsteel to see what it was like. Imagine someone throwing a piece of string at you.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I’m not sure on this and it’s a total grab, but I feel that tight bends over fairleads that are way too small of radius have a lot to do with it, too. The ropes get damaged basically any time they are used under load at anything but the perfect angle and drum diameter/number of wraps. Combine this with no one inspecting their ropes regularly and it would explain a lot, I think.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Top wrap looked fine, bro.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

ryanrs posted:

I've snapped 7/64" amsteel to see what it was like. Imagine someone throwing a piece of string at you.

I've seen 1.5" Spectra snap. It had less force than 1/4" nylon. The poo poo is amazing if cared for properly.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I bought these lights to try out as a backup light:
Sylvania - Slim 3 Inch Cube LED Light Pod.

I'll slap some powerpoles on them and a magnetic mount to test them out in the wild. Indoor first impressions are that they are barely inadequate as reverse lights, i.e. on the wrong side of adequacy. Excellent build quality for the price, just not very bright. Fortunately I have plenty of other uses for not-too-bright floodlights around camp.

There is a larger model: Sylvania - Rugged 4 Inch Cube LED Light Pod. But it has this stupid rigid plastic connector that sticks out 1.5" from the back. This is a problem because I need to mount it on the vertical tailgate (it can't be on the roof, it would get destroyed).

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The build quality is actually too good for my application. They're made of die cast aluminum and I was hoping for lightweight plastic.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Next step up in lumens and build quality is, surprisingly, Baja Designs' low-end line at 3150 lumens / 12 oz / $119. Not exactly cheap, but uncharacteristically reasonable for the brand.

Squadron Sport, LED Work/Scene

I'm also thinking of mounting the reversing light ON the rear glass. I can design an aluminum foot with a 1/4-20 stud for mounting the light, and glue it to the window with special glass adhesive.

I feel like this is the next frontier in offroad lighting: covering your actual windshield with lights so you can see better.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Just to throw it out there: you can find “flush mount led” (use that search term) on eBay for cheap. They won’t be Baja designs, but they’ll be more than adequate and like $30.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Speaking of flush mount LEDs, it looks like one of those would require me to cut a fist-sized hole in the outer skin of the tailgate? That seems like a big deal for weatherproofing. Do I just lay a bead of silicone before screwing it down, or what?

How much will I regret cutting that hole 4 years down the line?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I’d seal with gasket maker / silicone, yeah, but getting it sealed shouldn’t be difficult as long as you mount it on a flat surface. Any curves or whatever will make sealing it harder.

I cut a hole right in the middle of my roof to mount an antenna, sealed with a ring of silicone, and have not had the slightest leak in the last 6 years.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

ryanrs posted:

Speaking of flush mount LEDs, it looks like one of those would require me to cut a fist-sized hole in the outer skin of the tailgate? That seems like a big deal for weatherproofing. Do I just lay a bead of silicone before screwing it down, or what?

As an alternative to Baja Design, I'd suggest Diode Dynamics. Similar build quality and performance for a slightly lower price. I've been running the SS3s as fog lights and SS2 ditch lights for over a year and they're still good as new. https://www.diodedynamics.com/off-road-auxiliary-led/led-pods.html

RE: flush mount - yes, exactly. You have to cut a hole in the bumper or tailgate to mount the light. They usually come with a thin rubber gasket but you'd want to silicone up around that from the inside if you can. As far as long term weatherproofing, it sorta depends. The potential issues are -water/dirt getting trapped between the light and the body, causing rust and friction damage, and water/dirt building up between the inner/outer skin of the tailgate and rusting a hole through the bottom. If you hit the cut edges with some Krylon and sealed the light up well, than it would probably be fine long term. One issue I could potentially see is the weight of the light on the skin of the tailgate. If it wobbles a lot, especially on off road trails, the seal will break.

You could probably put them in the giant plastic bumper and they'd be fine for the life of the car, even with a lot of abuse.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Diode Dynamics looks nice, thanks!

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

What's the deal with OEM vs aftermarket windshields? I don't think I can get an OEM windshield for the Sienna (2000 Toyota Sienna CE).

Is there any difference in thickness/strength?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I think for something like this, it’s pretty much all the same. I put a super off brand windshield in my Jeep a few years ago and cannot discern any difference.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

ryanrs posted:

What's the deal with OEM vs aftermarket windshields? I don't think I can get an OEM windshield for the Sienna (2000 Toyota Sienna CE).

Is there any difference in thickness/strength?

It's not so much about OEM vs X brand - like you've guessed the OEM is most likely NLA.
There's a handful of "good" glass suppliers out there, who's glass holds up similar to OEM.
I used to use PPG or SGS, and Pilkington for my German cars.
It's only hearsay - but my friend who managed a local tint shop could always tell the cheap glass
by the above normal amount of chips before ever looking for a manufacture tag. My experience
is similar, but that was years ago. I'm going to have the local glass shop quote me 5 replacements here
soon (don't hoard cars....). I'll let you know what they say.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Basically I want to know if I need to do anything beyond telling my independent mechanic to put in a new windshield.

I would like a good windshield because I plan to crash it into branches and stuff. Well, 'plan' might not be the right word, but it's going to happen a lot.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Next step:

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

That or some of those guy wires running from the front corners to up above the windshield.
Edit: Limb Risers

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 11, 2021

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

That must be a Jeep thing, due to their pug-like snout. I don't think guy wires would be an improvement over the Sienna A pillar angle.

You can see where branches have scraped the black coating off the trim, exposing the nice chrome(!) underneath.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yah probably have the boys fab this up then

Bonus light mounts as well.

I kid I kid. Unless...

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Lol, no. But I could be persuaded to install an A pillar cop spotlight, if that's even possible?

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Lol Fab Fours. Going to bling up my truck like some sort of monster energy stagecoach colored by a 8 year old.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Yes, I have often pondered what style of 4x4 my Sienna should be.

I think "angry badass" style could work on a Sienna, if done in a fun, tongue-in-cheek kind of way. I don't think I have the skills to pull that off, and if you don't pull off the wink, it will be pretty cringey. Therefore I have instructed Califabrication to avoid angry eyes and other aggressive styling cues.

Instead, I'm going for competently executed, 4x4 outsider art. As if, say, a minivan owner read about 4x4 trucks on the internet and decided to make one himself, out of his minivan.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ryanrs posted:

Instead, I'm going for competently executed, 4x4 outsider art. As if, say, a minivan owner read about 4x4 trucks on the internet and decided to make one himself, out of his minivan.

I am dying to know how this is any different from your actual reality.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

:iiam:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ryanrs posted:

Little late, but all the folks on the internet building out camper vans who seem competent use this stuff https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-017-90915-Sikaflex-252-White/dp/B007EXOONA/ or this stuff https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-017-90891-White-Sikaflex-221/dp/B00O9VFLRS depending on if you want an adhesive or just a sealant.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

builds character posted:

Little late, but all the folks on the internet building out camper vans who seem competent use this stuff https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-017-90915-Sikaflex-252-White/dp/B007EXOONA/ or this stuff https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-017-90891-White-Sikaflex-221/dp/B00O9VFLRS depending on if you want an adhesive or just a sealant.

Thanks! I am an adhesives aficionado, so this is useful.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Chatted with Califabrication today, and I decided to delete the hitch receiver. (hitch receiver, receiver hitch? what is that square tube actually called?)

The issue is that it is hard to make it strong because it is hanging out in front of the radiator. If this bumper was one of those massive fabrication jobs made out of plate, this would probably be much less of an issue. But it is a problem for a lightweight tube design.

To me, seeing a tow hitch implies certain promises regarding structural strength. For example, it should be strong enough to winch the van in any direction (including sideways, straight up, etc). It should also be strong enough for a kinetic recovery. A minimalist tube design is not strong enough for these things.

Ultimately, I don't want the winch bad enough to make the bumper complicated and heavy and expensive.

So we're losing a marquee feature to slightly improve some numbers on the spec sheet. Sales is gonna be pissed.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 13, 2021

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I've been working on some circuits while waiting for the van to be ready. I should get it back Mon or Tues.

Here's a little circuit board to hold 4 toggle switches for my larger dash control panel project.

https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/MIC5283.pdf
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tlc555.pdf

REAR FOG
I've only wanted a rear fog light a few times, but during those times, I really wanted one (early morning tule fog during duck season). This switch controls a relay that moves the left-side stoplight bulb to the taillight circuit. Instant rear fog light.

ABS DISABLE
Interrupts the brake switch connection to the ABS unit, which should make it think the brakes are never applied. Presumably it will be well behaved, because I don't think it's smart enough to compare notes with the ECU and determine that it's being lied to.

If you leave the ABS disabled, there's a red warning LED that turns on for 5 secs the next time you start the engine.

LIGHT
Turns on the interior lights by faking a door switch. Will do other things in the future.

DARK
Turns off the interior lights by cutting a circuit in the integration relay. Will do other things in the future.

Next up is the left side panel, which will house the lighting switches and high beam / reverse logic. But I want to measure some stuff before making that board, so I need the van back first.

e: Added schematic for the warning LED, but not the toggle switches. Toggle switch schematic is not interesting.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 17, 2021

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 19, 2021

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
looking great. what's gonna go in front of that radiator?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

pnac attack posted:

the skulls of lesser minivans, to warn any bulls that might seek to challenge it

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

pnac attack posted:

aluminum plate / grille

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I picked up the minivan and it's great. But it was dark by the time I got home, and I'm leaving on a trip in the morning, so no pics until I get back.

I'm going squirrel hunting south of Big Sur, in the vicinity of the Silver Peak Wilderness. I have a limited window of not-much-rain from Wednesday through Sunday, which is why I'm in a huge rush right now. Also I can't find my hunting license, fml. I will post more about the van when I return!

e: found my paperwork, rip squirrels.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 20, 2021

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
oh drat it's go time

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

It's beautiful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That is so good. I hope the shop enjoyed such a cool and potentially different project.