Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How big of a gameplay difference are the forms? I was thinking of trying goodward or moss walker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pragmatica posted:

Is anyone planning on trying out Book of Travels? It opens for early access today in a few hours: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1152340/Book_of_Travels/

However, I pre-ordered so I was able to play a bit beforehand, and the game seems interesting and different. A bit slow so far, but I only messed around a bit for a few hours because I didn't realize that backers had early access.

quote:

Communicate using symbols
Learn to use a unique set of symbols to communicate with other players. Unlock new symbols as you encounter new features and places (e.g. you’ll gain the symbol for “city” only after you’ve visited a city). The limitation in communication lays the foundation for a rich and friendly multiplayer experience.

Implicit no chat function...?

Going to meep the city icon in the middle of a pastoral scene at people so hard and act aloof and mysterious.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
there is some more info about the game here in a good "spoiler-free" summary guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16JzZd2N1DMYkJYTZz5OUAf3Vw4ZaH9nKNLPTzmIw2e8/edit

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So, it reads like book of travels will make it difficult for me to uh, travel with my friends? Is that true because that's a huge downer if so.

Edit: did not see the google doc, sounds like I can at least spawn in the same place as them and after that we can probably just wander around as a group i guess :v:

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

eonwe posted:

How big of a gameplay difference are the forms? I was thinking of trying goodward or moss walker

looks like this document might have some of the info you are looking for: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qGKSwtQej8oNY29xkP_-9vCahtegPKzz7Jr9BBOkpbs/edit

i haven't looked at it though. from my understanding, it doesn't affect game play that much? i have only tried one form so far.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Pragmatica posted:

there is some more info about the game here in a good "spoiler-free" summary guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16JzZd2N1DMYkJYTZz5OUAf3Vw4ZaH9nKNLPTzmIw2e8/edit

I had a suspicion permadeath was going to be a thing. All the more reason to be a lazy bum who fishes and drinks tea all day.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

What grindy mmos play well with a controller? I have pinched an arm nerve and am trying to limit my keyboard/mouse time to work hours. I just want something that I can zone out and listen to audio books, but it turns out the only PC arpg with controller support is torchlight 3, which, ugh.

I know ff14 has controller support, and bdo. Are there any others worth knowing?

Skyforge is extremely grindy and works, as well as that game actually functions, with my XBone controller.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pragmatica posted:

looks like this document might have some of the info you are looking for: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qGKSwtQej8oNY29xkP_-9vCahtegPKzz7Jr9BBOkpbs/edit

i haven't looked at it though. from my understanding, it doesn't affect game play that much? i have only tried one form so far.

dope! okay thank you.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i started as journey at sea in the north

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pragmatica posted:

The absolute cojones, the confidence, the faith in their vision of this Journey simulator has me gripped I am on board.

Author of Google doc foreal gave themselves an E for Everyone rating, and the next question was "could I play this game one handed":

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm assuming that's more about accessibility for people with mobility issues, but I cannot rule out the possibility that some might be seduced by the sensuous curves of papercraft graphics.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Server's completely hammered. Tried for about an hour, managed to get to character creation for a few seconds before getting kicked out again.

They really got the quintessential MMO launch experience down.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I feel like if you plan to be in early access for 2 years you're not really in early access.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hellioning posted:

I feel like if you plan to be in early access for 2 years you're not really in early access.

Debatably it's basically just a kicksarter demo with a different pricing scheme but usually that doesn't stop them from charging 40 bucks for the privilege of playing a demo for two years.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Groovelord Neato posted:

He doesn't mention this but what's really funny about his story of the Rogue that would loot people's bodies not being able to get groups is that Rogue was probably the most worthless class in base EQ so he was doubly hosed.

I bought EQ day 1 and made a Gnome Rogue named Rat. I got lost trying to visit my trainer then get back outside. Back then, you always lost Xperia for dying. Took me a week to get to 10 with my (single) rusty dagger and there was no sneak/hide (or just “Stealth” like WoW much later) so I couldn’t even Backstab to open while solo.

When they unveiled choosing a last name, the GM of Erollisi Marr let me change my name to “The Rat.” I still have him somewhere after my guild moved servers, but I can’t remember off the top of my head which server I ended up on.

I haven’t played WoW since 9.0.5, but Tunnelrat is still on Alleria in the engineering section of Oribos. The only character that hit max level is my NE Hunter, mainly because she can Shadowmeld off to the sides of the track for the pathing mobs. I occasionally have to jump up and help my 97 y/o Granny, and rogues/NE stealth mechanic is better than coming back 6 minutes later at the spirit healer with no clue and having to scroll back combat logs 😜

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

pedro0930 posted:

Server's completely hammered. Tried for about an hour, managed to get to character creation for a few seconds before getting kicked out again.

They really got the quintessential MMO launch experience down.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Debatably it's basically just a kicksarter demo with a different pricing scheme but usually that doesn't stop them from charging 40 bucks for the privilege of playing a demo for two years.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im on hov aradom, but i dont care about remaking if ppl want to play with me

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The servers appear to be down right now and the devs haven't posted many updates beyond "The servers are down." Presumably because that sounds better than "oh god oh god oh gently caress"

Link to the game's Discord

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
book of travels is giving me the realm online type vibes and i like it

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

quote:

Communicate using symbols
Learn to use a unique set of symbols to communicate with other players. Unlock new symbols as you encounter new features and places (e.g. you’ll gain the symbol for “city” only after you’ve visited a city). The limitation in communication lays the foundation for a rich and friendly multiplayer experience.

This sounds like the kind of “innovation” that just becomes aggravating beyond the initial experience and mandates out of game communication.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I might try Book of Travels. The only other game I've been playing again lately is Valheim, not really an MMO but fun anyway!

I'll watch the thread for any guilds or where to spawn.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
When do you unlock the eggplant symbol?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Dross posted:

This sounds like the kind of “innovation” that just becomes aggravating beyond the initial experience and mandates out of game communication.
I've seen other games do it well. King Arthur's Gold is (was?) a team pvp game that used emotes to quickly communicate across languages in addition to the chat log.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Jackard posted:

I've seen other games do it well. King Arthur's Gold is (was?) a team pvp game that used emotes to quickly communicate across languages in addition to the chat log.

KAG is a really fun game too

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'd be keen to give Book of Travels a shot once I get some free time after this weekend. It's certainly a different vibe than the other MMO choices out there.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
I haven't gotten a chance to play yet since everything switched to early access. The servers were absolutely hammered on Monday, and I was just way too busy yesterday so no video games. Hoping to play tonight! :)

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
MMOs have become the Dad-Game

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
There will never be a good MMO again

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Alright I bought Book of Travels, trip report coming some time tomorrow.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Some initial thoughts about Book of Travels: It's refreshingly beautiful and the music is great, though there are a lot of bugs. I like that information isn't spoon-fed toward you, but trying to figure out stuff takes some time. To me it feels more like an RPG than a real MMO. Even in Valheim, I'm able to always play with several friends, but it's not really an MMO or TMMO either.

As I played I tried to envision a goon guild or even way to play together, and it seems very tough to do so. First, there are no guilds. Whether or not that will change, I have no idea. Second, servers top out at 7 people, so mostly when I log in I select a region (US, though I'm in Canada) and I'm able to pick a server that has one or two open spots, so I'm not sure how that works if you want to play with even just a few others, since other servers won't open up until the current ones are full. I guess communicating outside the game on region and which area (n, s, w, e) would need to be done, but normally there are no more than 1-2 free spots open.

I'm on my fifth character and decided to go forward playing on this one. I finally figured some basic stuff out, but got ported back to one place after taking a ferry to another place. After this happened I was stuck near some water and couldn't move. I logged out and back in, and when I went to select a plant or something else to collect, my character would port to it right away instead of walking over. I guess these are some known bugs.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
Yeah, I get what they are going for with the small server sizes, but it seems a bit too small. I really don't know how you could really coordinate even a group of 3+ people getting into a server. I haven't tried to play with someone else, but can already tell that would be a nightmare.

I think this will probably just end up being a game I play while stoned, and my friends are doing something else or playing a game I am not as into or something. I am kind of wondering if the plan is always to keep the servers so small as more content releases. Several people in the Discord have given feedback about wanting a larger hub-type city at least, where people could interact together, trade items and plan adventures. Then, travel off together in the same direction in a smaller setting?

To me, it is really just feeling like a single player game that you might interact with someone, and I was really hoping for a bit more interaction than that.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Pragmatica posted:

Yeah, I get what they are going for with the small server sizes, but it seems a bit too small. I really don't know how you could really coordinate even a group of 3+ people getting into a server. I haven't tried to play with someone else, but can already tell that would be a nightmare.

I think this will probably just end up being a game I play while stoned, and my friends are doing something else or playing a game I am not as into or something. I am kind of wondering if the plan is always to keep the servers so small as more content releases. Several people in the Discord have given feedback about wanting a larger hub-type city at least, where people could interact together, trade items and plan adventures. Then, travel off together in the same direction in a smaller setting?

To me, it is really just feeling like a single player game that you might interact with someone, and I was really hoping for a bit more interaction than that.

Yeah, the game itself looks neat, but I’d hardly call that a MMO. Doesn’t sound massively multiplayer at all.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Well, they market it as a Tiny Multiplayer Online RPG rather than an MMO so that tracks. 7 per server is still lower than I thought, though. I managed to make a character and walk around for a while. The game is certainly stunningly beautiful and has an incredible vibe/mood to it, even if I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

With the intentionally restricted communication and small amount of players occupying a larger world it does feel like someone said "Hey what if Journey was an RPG?" and I'm here for that.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
The previews made it look like it was almost isometric or side scroller style, is it 3rd person?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

It's like.... a 3D side scroller where you can walk in four directions? I'm not sure what the term would be. I guess it's isometric but from a weird angle.

Played for about 45 minutes. It's interesting, at least. Gonna really have to sit down with it this weekend and give it a shot but the concept is interesting and I've written down a quest (which was more like a suggestion from a teahouse keeper) and we'll see where that leads. It definitely leans heavily on the RP aspect in that your character's origin and attributes really matter. Certainly not an "M"MO but tbqh I'm fine with that and if I bump into anyone it'll be interesting to see how the emote-only communication works.

I don't think I'll regret dropping the money on it, it seems like a really good game to chill out and destress with.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

It's like.... a 3D side scroller where you can walk in four directions? I'm not sure what the term would be. I guess it's isometric but from a weird angle.

Is it like a Streets of Rage or Final Fight type brawler?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I’d say it mostly resembles a point and click adventure game.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
It is interesting to see how people in Book of Travels are handling emote only communication. In this team's last tiny MMO thing, Meadow, emote-only communication mostly worked, but then again Meadow had a lot less to do. Good for kids I guess? My kid sister spent hundreds of hours just wandering around roleplaying a lynx and was perfectly happy with that. I'm tempted by Book of Travels myself at least.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
elyon is supposed to be garbo right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
I think? But it’s also free to play. So I’ll probably give it a shot.