Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
When I was around 4 or 5 years old I was at a Macdonalds playground. They had these merry-go-rounds that had the controls on the wall for kids or parents to push them on and off. I managed push my straight leg under the thing and then bent my leg, wedging it stuck.that sent me into a panic and I started screaming. Cue kids going and pushing the button to make it start going again as well. Three big strong guys come and can't make it budge cause it's bolted to the ground. Someone (maybe my mom) came over to me and got me to straighten my leg and I was free. Sorry guys, I'm probably part of the reason they got rid of these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I would hang off those and pretend I was a garbage man hanging from the back of the truck.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Did you lose your leg in the middle east forever war?

No, it was ripped off by a McDonalds merry go round

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Uvzs0Sg.mp4

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wanna pet that doggo. Do you think it would like that? Or would it saunter me into a decal on the asphalt?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"excuse me, do you know the way to Buffalo? there are some buffalo there I have to buffalo, if they aren't doing it already"

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_VTquJR6fg

I'm always sort of equal parts awe- and dumb-struck by the poo poo some people get up to in the USA. Like you can find the resources and materials to build practically anything in your shed and use it however the gently caress you want and it always seems to manifest in someone in crocs doing something incredibly dangerous near power lines.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 11, 2021

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Soil Engineer posted:

What's mostly got me worried is the fact there doesn't seem to be any kind of side shoring, which is a very fast and easy way to get put in a vertical grave.

Checking the rock quality on the bottom! What those are is basically a very tall column that the building is standing on to stand on bedrock, it's not being supported too much by the actual ground surface it's on. So I go down and pretty much beat the poo poo out of the bottom with a hammer to see if it's hard enough stuff to support the building.

Usually they're bigger than that lol, that looks like a 30 inch diameter hole. The smallest I've been in was 36", and the biggest was 96" on the bottom. 96 is honestly massive, I think my favorite size is 54". Enough room to move around but I don't have to spend 45 minutes in a hole and I only have one test hole to seam check. (Which is where I basically use a 10' steel rod in a 2" hole to make sure it's all rock below lol)

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Purgatory Glory posted:

When I was around 4 or 5 years old I was at a Macdonalds playground. They had these merry-go-rounds that had the controls on the wall for kids or parents to push them on and off. I managed push my straight leg under the thing and then bent my leg, wedging it stuck.that sent me into a panic and I started screaming. Cue kids going and pushing the button to make it start going again as well. Three big strong guys come and can't make it budge cause it's bolted to the ground. Someone (maybe my mom) came over to me and got me to straighten my leg and I was free. Sorry guys, I'm probably part of the reason they got rid of these things.

I broke my leg on a non powered merry go round as a kid. I thought I could put my foot down and stop it. Leg went under got caught and snapped I tried to run to my mom with my leg like a bendy straw.

This was before the newer type casts so I had an old school plaster cast up to my thigh for months.
They also found out on a follow up x-ray they had set it wrong and had to drive a wedge in to push the bones into place.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

That buffalo was all like "What the fuckin poo poo did you say bitch? Nothing? Thats right now gently caress off oval office"!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me

mkvltra posted:

At the same job, one of the software engineers was on a customer site and decided it would be a good idea to put his foot in the hook of an indoor gantry crane and Mary Poppins his way across the facility, 10 feet in the air. Apparently it was too inconvenient for him to walk through a crowded industrial shop floor.

That's amazing, what was the fallout ?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

lost my retainer posted:

That's amazing, what was the fallout ?

Site was inundated with singing chimney sweeps

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Azhais posted:

Site was inundated with singing chimney sweeps

The Dick Van Dyke kind, or the Lin Manuel-Miranda kind?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

this is a sex thing isnt it.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
My worst OSHA was probably when I worked at a home improvement store and a guy on one of the platform forklifts stopped in a doorway to talk to someone, I waited for about a minutes for him to either go or park it, gave up, and started walking past his platform. He started moving again without looking away from the guy he was talking to and jammed the platform into my steel toe and pinched my foot between the platform and the floor, but managed to stop it pretty quick. Lots of mistakes, some of them mine, but I'm not dead and I can still walk.

Actually that place just sucked and was full OSHA. I bad to get a tetanus shot because someone placed a broken pallet piece with a nail sticking out of it in the cardboard pile that was in front of the trash compactor and I stepped on it trying to throw a bag of garbage away, a guy hit me with a 6 foot stake when he threw it on his shoulder and turned without paying attention, and management asked me to climb the racks to get some loose product out of a pallet. There was probably other poo poo too

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Sanctum posted:

What's y'alls last workplace accident? Are there OSHA kings among us with no accidents ever?

I think about four or five years back because I'm the only person at work who always wears their PPE and never fucks around with unsafe poo poo, but back then I had to replace an electrical fixture and, uh, let's just say the wiring in the warehouse is a rat's nest of completely insane installations. No one knows what goes where. No one knows what fuse or relay controls what. So turning off the power before doing the work... ehhhh... it would've taken probably the better part of a day without turning off the power for half the warehouse.

Long story short I spent a couple of weeks with molten copper embedded in my thumb. It sure made a nice green flame, though.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

At UPS we would sometimes need to jog belts in using disconnect switches. Our maintenance guy didn't like it and recommended that we use our non-dominant hand in case the switch blows up.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

I showed this to my brother and he replied with some interesting info. He is a welding engineer.

Yep that's the textbook way of doing it. It's called a "hot tap". He supervised a few of those.

They do the weld with gas at low pressure to not totally cut off the customer. And I quote: "the flame is to know where the flame is". When the flame goes out it means it is inside and that is A Bad Thing.

They know what they are doing. It is actually cleaner than most jobs. Often there is water and mud everywhere like in a WW1 trench, which the welders have to lie in. They are welding top to bottom as they should for gas on the first pass. The electrodes are cellulose-clad, you can stick that in wet soil, rub it clean and continue welding.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Cut my hand a little bit on some steel shims in the shop cleaning up at the end of the day, 5 stitches in between 2 places.

Strained my wrist real bad unloading parts that should have been set up to be craned but weren't so we were sliding them on the pallet to get straps under them.

moparacker
May 8, 2007

Beef posted:

And I quote: "the flame is to know where the flame is". When the flame goes out it means it is inside and that is A Bad Thing.

:aaaaa:

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Kiddo dumped a whole carton of eggs on the floor and I thought "How would the OSHA thread solve this problem" So instead of burning my house down with my 240 volt sex lathe I used my big shower squeegee to just slide all the egg glorp into my dust pan and was cleaned up in less than 90 seconds

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
My worst OSHAs were at a pizza place as an inshop, multiple burns on the pizza oven cause I'm a dumbass and one burn that I still have a scar from 5 years later from when the pizza oven plate thing we sent them through on started sliding off the spatula and since it was rush I caught it with my wrist for several seconds until I got it balanced and to the cutting table. Also a huge cut on my thumb from when I was cutting green peppers and was cutting towards myself like a dumbass, which I also still have the scar from. :gibs:

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I can't remember my last OSHA incident at work because I work safely.

:smug:

E: for content.

The first forklefucker job I took was to replace another guy who got his foot caught between the racking and his machine while goofing off. That person now has a fake foot.

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 11, 2021

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
My worst OSHA was at a kitchen I worked at a while back. The door to the shipping platform where we received raw foodstuffs and delivered what few deliveries we had opened outwards towards where the truck would park. This meant that if the truck was of the type that had a door to the cargo compartment that doubles as a loading ramp and the door to our kitchen was open, when that loading ramp/door closed, it could lift the kitchen door of its hinges. This resulted in the head chef getting a rather heavy door fall on him, and our boss having to convince the guy to go to a doctor.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Haven't had one in a long time, but my last was a few departments ago in the hospital I work at. It was completely my fault, but I had to fix a printer that was having issues. This was a unique printer that could only be printed to from within the department I was in, and at the time there was only one other person working there. So I turn to them and say "Don't print anything until I say so, I gotta stick my hand in this printer." They acknowledge, my hand goes in, and then literally 5 seconds later they print something.

I could feel the rollers brushing against the tip of my fingats as I ripped my hand out. Their response? "I forgot already!"

Again, completely my fault. A good lesson to lock out your machinery, and don't trust people to follow the most basic of instructions.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nomad2020 posted:

I can't remember my last OSHA incident at work because I work safely.

:smug:

I can't remember mine because of the traumatic brain injury

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Beef posted:

I showed this to my brother and he replied with some interesting info. He is a welding engineer.

Yep that's the textbook way of doing it. It's called a "hot tap". He supervised a few of those.

They do the weld with gas at low pressure to not totally cut off the customer. And I quote: "the flame is to know where the flame is". When the flame goes out it means it is inside and that is A Bad Thing.

They know what they are doing. It is actually cleaner than most jobs. Often there is water and mud everywhere like in a WW1 trench, which the welders have to lie in. They are welding top to bottom as they should for gas on the first pass. The electrodes are cellulose-clad, you can stick that in wet soil, rub it clean and continue welding.

Yeah the thing is as long as this is under pressure it's fine. Air can't get in so the mixture inside is actually completely safe since the air won't flow into it against the pressure gradiant. Would still be class 0 ATEX zone though because it's considered insanely bad form to claim a fuel mixture is safe based on the premise that it's too rich to burn or explode.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/sfsIhyh.mp4

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

wesleywillis posted:

That buffalo was all like "What the fuckin poo poo did you say bitch? Nothing? Thats right now gently caress off oval office"!

Oh no Jeserty is offended by "bad words" lol

Free Wesleywillis

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Every night was an OSHA violation at UPS:

Coolers full of bees, exploding boxes full of rimfire bullets whizzing past my face, watching a guy lose his prosthetic leg while breaking a box jam with his foot, coworker getting splashed in the face when a jar full of mercury broke open on his slide, boss getting his hand degloved in a transfer plate, people trying to ship live kittens and snakes (not together), that one time someone tried shipping a jar of nitroglycerine.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Source4Leko posted:

Cut my hand on some steel shims /
This is my OSHA post

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Every night was an OSHA violation at UPS:

Coolers full of bees, exploding boxes full of rimfire bullets whizzing past my face, watching a guy lose his prosthetic leg while breaking a box jam with his foot, coworker getting splashed in the face when a jar full of mercury broke open on his slide, boss getting his hand degloved in a transfer plate, people trying to ship live kittens and snakes (not together), that one time someone tried shipping a jar of nitroglycerine.

There's a whole Post My Favorite thread on the subject:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932360

And here is a railroad bridge in Olathe, KS

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
im out of the biz now but i ran a tree service and ive seen some poo poo. worst things for me were two mistakes on the ropes, among thousands of riggings. first time i severely misjudged the size of a cut the guy in the tree was making, and that's when i really learned that a heavy enough load is going to fall faster than your reaction time.

in this case, instead of the log hitting the ground and me just looking like a goof, i counteracted its weight enough that it started swinging towards me as i was getting pulled in its direction. i did some juke thing midair, like 3-4' off the ground or else i would've taken it to the high chest/shoulder area. i was shaking for like 10 minutes. it was a perpendicular lead on a locust tree so heavy wood. i hosed up by not putting one extra wrap in the portawrap, maybe two more. really stupid mistake but i was young.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://youtu.be/NSMKdXvJ31M

That sound is a compressor inflating a special backpack to help you survive an avalanche.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

and don't trust people to follow the most basic of instructions.

poo poo man. This right here. Seems like there are some people that can just see the way something is supposed to/going to happen. But most people are just really dumb as poo poo. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve hosed up my share of things, mostly in my younger days but if someone is explaining something to me, you drat well better believe I’m going to ask enough questions to have a complete understanding of what they are doing.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Beef posted:

"the flame is to know where the flame is". When the flame goes out it means it is inside and that is A Bad Thing.

The welder knows where the flame isn't because he knows where it is. By welding where the flame is, instead of where it isn't, he ensures that it isn't where it shouldn't be, and if the flame is where it shouldn't be, it is where the welder won't be.

Coeus
Sep 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/D9IRUxq.mp4

rip Chris Pratt, the filming of the new super mario movie was incredibly unsafe.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Coeus posted:

https://i.imgur.com/D9IRUxq.mp4

rip Chris Pratt, the filming of the new super mario movie was incredibly unsafe.

It all went down the tubes :dadjoke:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

mkvltra posted:

At the same job, one of the software engineers was on a customer site and decided it would be a good idea to put his foot in the hook of an indoor gantry crane and Mary Poppins his way across the facility, 10 feet in the air. Apparently it was too inconvenient for him to walk through a crowded industrial shop floor.

My last job had the slowest gantry ever and I really wanted to rig up a hanging chair to the hook to ride it across the shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Beef posted:

For gas plant or powerplant work, "hot tap" usually signifies the following...
http://www.wermac.org/specials/hottap.html