Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ok for real whos your team
This poll is closed.
The Green Bay Packers 81 35.53%
The Chicago Bears 52 22.81%
The Minnesota Vikings 42 18.42%
The Detroit Lions 53 23.25%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

When the Bears take the field it’s no longer a football game

They are the masters of taking other teams to hell and Bearsing their way into a win

Justin’s Fields

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I'm hoping Crosby is able to get past this game mentally and not melt down the rest of the season. It might be easier for him since it was so bad instead of 1 key missed field goal, he can convince himself he was cursed by a tiktok witch or something.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Maybe if teams are going to rough the passer, Nagy can sub in Andy for those plays so Fields isn’t murdered.

Defense looked great today and offense did enough. Going to need to score more against the Packers though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm way less scared of the Packers pass rush than the Raiders.

There should be some time there

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

I'm hoping Crosby is able to get past this game mentally and not melt down the rest of the season. It might be easier for him since it was so bad instead of 1 key missed field goal, he can convince himself he was cursed by a tiktok witch or something.

He's been through this before and he wasn't fazed at all going into the final kick. I wouldn't be worried.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
If Crosby missed the final kick I’d be pretty worried but I think he’ll get right next week.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

BGrifter posted:

I didn’t see the end of the game, but what I saw was the best the Bears have looked yet against a decent opponent.

The 2021 Chicago Bears look like a real football team. Crazy stuff man.

Their offense is still real bad but not as bad as when Nagy was running it. Defense was great again. Guess the same Bears we have had for awhile.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Niwrad posted:

Their offense is still real bad but not as bad as when Nagy was running it. Defense was great again. Guess the same Bears we have had for awhile.

My usual joking and trolling aside for a moment my expectation before the season was that the Bears D would regress enough to put an impossible amount of pressure on Fields. They’ve good enough to keep what the Bears need Fields to be manageable.

Still don’t know if Fields is great or just ok, but just ok with that defense wins a lot of games.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have 0 expectations for the lions this season and probably next, other than keeping Williams around because he rules

I really like Campbell as well and that video of him crying after todays loss has me respecting him more

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

BGrifter posted:

My usual joking and trolling aside for a moment my expectation before the season was that the Bears D would regress enough to put an impossible amount of pressure on Fields. They’ve good enough to keep what the Bears need Fields to be manageable.

Still don’t know if Fields is great or just ok, but just ok with that defense wins a lot of games.

We likely won't know till Nagy and Pace are gone.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Niwrad posted:

I've been getting Cutler Bears vibes. Great defense, great special teams, inept offense with occasional flashes of brilliance from the QB. Considering Justin Fields is only a rookie and will likely get better, this is a good sign.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It would be really nice to not have to regularly use 6 linemen to scrape to a solid running game and a bad passing game that still gets the QB hit a dozen times a game

I would move heaven and earth to shore up the offensive line this offseason. Sorry ARob; Justin needs life support before he needs weapons

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

xbilkis posted:

It would be really nice to not have to regularly use 6 linemen to scrape to a solid running game and a bad passing game that still gets the QB hit a dozen times a game

I would move heaven and earth to shore up the offensive line this offseason. Sorry ARob; Justin needs life support before he needs weapons

Good news, the franchise tag basically assured arob will be gone

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I have 0 expectations for the lions this season and probably next, other than keeping Williams around because he rules

I really like Campbell as well and that video of him crying after todays loss has me respecting him more

Dan Campbell is a cool dude and I hope he is able to turn things around for the Lions.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Threeish years ago he missed like 5 and a PAT or two against Detroit and he was fine the rest of the year. Like someone said before he just has a catastrophically bad game every few years. It's the Mason effect.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I've been getting Cutler Bears vibes. Great defense, great special teams, inept offense with occasional flashes of brilliance from the QB. Considering Justin Fields is only a rookie and will likely get better, this is a good sign.

Reminds me of John Fox's last year. Good defense that will win some games for you. Offense is bad and hamstrung by a coach terrified of letting a rookie QB do anything and incapable of developing him.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

Threeish years ago he missed like 5 and a PAT or two against Detroit and he was fine the rest of the year. Like someone said before he just has a catastrophically bad game every few years. It's the Mason effect.

Kickers feel like one area in football where we ignore the incredibly small sample sizes.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Another point in the "Mason will probably be fine" column is that he can say to himself "I made a majority of my field goal attempts." He can also look at the opposing kicker and note that that guy also missed multiple kicks in a row. There's a lot of room for confidence-salvaging rationalization, I guess.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Cairo Santos is one of my favorite Bears now.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Paint Crop Pro posted:

Dan Campbell is a cool dude and I hope he is able to turn things around for the Lions.

I hope so as well. Not expecting much while this guy is around though:

https://twitter.com/DetroitOnLion/status/1447374786968051717?t=xh_bXRhCrzmhWFETTby7zA&s=19

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
For those keeping track, it was a good week for Justin Fields in the Fields vs Trubisky rivalry. Up till now it’s been pretty one sided in favor of the NVP.

Justin Fields had a solid performance with one touchdown pass, zero picks, and only two sacks. I mean, it was only against the Raiders, but it was fine.

Mitchell Trubisky on the other hand had another stellar week helping lead the Buffalo Bills to an impressive 38-20 victory over the mighty Kansas City Chiefs. Now I know you’re thinking, “But Mitchell Trubisky didn’t play today?” Mitchell Trubisky’s superhuman leadership abilities are so powerful he didn’t even need to take the field to guarantee a Bills victory. This is what’s known as advanced stats.

By generously allowing Allen to accrue some boring old traditional stats this week, Trubisky continued several remarkable streaks. The Bills remain undefeated in games Mitchell Trubisky takes the field. His insane 100% completion percentage in the regular season remains intact. Zero sacks taken as well, a 111 sack drop from the previous four seasons.

Both quarterbacks had a good week, but I’d give the edge to Trubisky by a narrow margin.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

BGrifter posted:

For those keeping track, it was a good week for Justin Fields in the Fields vs Trubisky rivalry. Up till now it’s been pretty one sided in favor of the NVP.

Justin Fields had a solid performance with one touchdown pass, zero picks, and only two sacks. I mean, it was only against the Raiders, but it was fine.

Mitchell Trubisky on the other hand had another stellar week helping lead the Buffalo Bills to an impressive 38-20 victory over the mighty Kansas City Chiefs. Now I know you’re thinking, “But Mitchell Trubisky didn’t play today?” Mitchell Trubisky’s superhuman leadership abilities are so powerful he didn’t even need to take the field to guarantee a Bills victory. This is what’s known as advanced stats.

By generously allowing Allen to accrue some boring old traditional stats this week, Trubisky continued several remarkable streaks. The Bills remain undefeated in games Mitchell Trubisky takes the field. His insane 100% completion percentage in the regular season remains intact. Zero sacks taken as well, a 111 sack drop from the previous four seasons.

Both quarterbacks had a good week, but I’d give the edge to Trubisky by a narrow margin.

You are a sadist and i kinda like.

Also, unrelated, change the fuckin title on this thread. We are 5 weeks in and still beholden to that shitbag john menard?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

xbilkis posted:

Using 6 lineman to get a good running game is smart and good football.

The Bears should continue to lean on the run.

Just like lose the QB sweep play.

I'm honestly fine with the Bears just running the poo poo out of the ball.

Extreme Russel Wilson first year vibes.

if they are able to get the results they are getting out of the run, they should continue to run. And then let Fields make plays when it counts. Like that Third and (i think) 12, where he fit a pass to Mooney between like 2-3 defenders when they were icing the game away was so loving huge. I don't disagree with Nagy/Lazor's decision to just run the ball on that 3rd and 5, I disagree with the playcall of the dumb loving QB sweep. They should have just handed it to Herbert and let him try for it. I'm happy the Bears seem like they are still able to run against a pretty good Raiders defense without Monty(plz come back soon tho)

But the Bears are a running football team, that is what their personnel is, they should continue to run the ball and play ball control offense.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
Just learned vikings are the only ones in the division with a positive point differential.

Whole drat division of frauds

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Lions deciding before the season to convince several WR4-tier guys that they can be WR1-tier guys was a bold strategy.

This is the worst WR corps i’ve ever seen in my life and, i’ve seen Keary Colbert and Mike Williams catch passes from Lions QBs.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 11, 2021

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Gonz posted:

The Lions deciding before the season to convince several WR4-tier guys that they can be WR1-tier guys was a bold strategy.

They aren't banking on this year at all. After 2022/2023, there's an out in Goff's contract for only $10M dead money. I expect the thought process was "Goff is the definition of a bridge QB", see if any of the WRs are anything more than they thought, and the passing game will go through RB/TE.

Goff has been bad. The team has been unfortunate. They probably shouldn't be 0-5. But they definitely are treating this year as a semi-tryout for skill positions

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Totally agree. But it’s still fascinating that the WR room is Amon-Ra St. Brown and then a bunch of XFL third stringers.

At this rate, they might want to promote some practice squad guys and see if literally any of them can *checks notes looking down my glasses at a note card*……”create separation”.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Gonz posted:

This is the worst WR corps i’ve ever seen in my life and, i’ve seen Keary Colbert and Mike Williams catch passes from Lions QBs.

I just looked, and *holy poo poo* you're right.

- Tyrell Williams: 2015 UDFA who had one 1,000+ yard season in 2016, barely. Did not play in 2020 due to injury. Concussed in Week 1 and hasn't played since. I guess he was going to be the #1 receiver since he had one decent season five years ago?
- Quintez Cephus: 2020 fifth-round pick with 20 catches last season. Has 15 catches this season, including two touchdowns.
- Amon-Ra St. Brown: 2021 fourth-round pick. Has 19 catches this season.
- Kalif Raymond: 2016 UDFA with 19 catches over the last five seasons. Has 14 catches this season, including two touchdowns.
- KhaDarel Hodge: 2018 UDFA with 17 catches over the last three seasons. Has three catches this season.
- Trinity Benson: 2019 UDFA with zero catches over the last two seasons. Has six catches this season.
- Tom Kennedy: 2019 UDFA with zero catches that season. Out of the league in 2020. Has zero catches this season.

I was laughing at the poster who was mad that Cephus (who I'd never heard of before) got injured, but yeah, that guy's like a third of your passing offense. This is the most bargain-bin, "front office is trying to tank" nonsense I've ever seen. Jared Goof is a loser but he's also getting boned. This has to be the worst receiver corps in modern league history, even at full health.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Dammit why can't Goff make deep throws to *checks notes* somebody who wasn't worth a draft pick???

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Now think about what it means for Breshad Perriman that he couldn't make the roster against these guys.

Styles Bitchley posted:

Dammit why can't Goff make deep throws to *checks notes* somebody who wasn't worth a draft pick???

Goff doesn't have much to to throw to, but he's also missing wildly even when dudes are getting open. It's not great!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Goff doesn't have much to to throw to, but he's also missing wildly even when dudes are getting open. It's not great!

The only Lions game I've watched start to finish has been the one against the Bears, but Goff was overthrowing like every receiver that game.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

surf rock posted:

Another point in the "Mason will probably be fine" column is that he can say to himself "I made a majority of my field goal attempts." He can also look at the opposing kicker and note that that guy also missed multiple kicks in a row. There's a lot of room for confidence-salvaging rationalization, I guess.

https://theathletic.com/2880720/2021/10/10/inside-mason-crosbys-game-winning-field-goal-that-woke-him-and-packers-from-nightmare/

quote:

“I have every confidence I’m going to make every kick,” the 37-year-old Crosby said. “Especially that 51-yarder right at the end of the game, felt really good about that. I just picked a bad line and the wind just kind of took it. … I have no doubt in my ability and what I’m going to do; reload and go on to the next one.”

“I went up to him and just told him I loved him,” running back Aaron Jones said of Crosby’s misses. “You’ll always stay with your teammates no matter what. I had a fumble last weekend. My teammates had my back. It’s the same thing that goes on there. We’re going to have his back.”

quote:

Rodgers wanted to know how Drayton felt about Crosby attempting a 49-yard field goal to win the game (again). Head coach Matt LaFleur said it “definitely” crossed his mind to go for it on fourth down given Crosby’s earlier struggles.

“Mo, is he going to make it?” Rodgers asked Drayton.

“Hell, yeah,” the special-teams coordinator responded. “He’s going to make it.”

“So let’s kick it then,” Rodgers replied.

quote:

Drayton called for the field goal, so LaFleur approached Crosby.

“I literally asked him,” LaFleur said. “I walked over, he was in the kicking net, he was coming back toward the field. I said ‘Hey, what do you think?’ He’s like, ‘I got this.’ So I was like, ‘All right, you got it. Go do it.'”

“I could see the look in his eyes,” LaFleur said. “There was zero flinch from him. … If I would have felt anything, we would have gone for it, but there was never a doubt in his mind. So I trusted him. He’s been doing it a really long time at a really high level. He’s made a lot of clutch kicks for us. … It’s part of the story.”

He's fine.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

surf rock posted:

This has to be the worst receiver corps in modern league history, even at full health.

you put some respect on Amon-Ra St. Brown's name

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Joey Jared Needs Weapons

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Using 6 lineman to get a good running game is smart and good football.

The Bears should continue to lean on the run.

Just like lose the QB sweep play.

I'm honestly fine with the Bears just running the poo poo out of the ball.

Extreme Russel Wilson first year vibes.

if they are able to get the results they are getting out of the run, they should continue to run. And then let Fields make plays when it counts. Like that Third and (i think) 12, where he fit a pass to Mooney between like 2-3 defenders when they were icing the game away was so loving huge. I don't disagree with Nagy/Lazor's decision to just run the ball on that 3rd and 5, I disagree with the playcall of the dumb loving QB sweep. They should have just handed it to Herbert and let him try for it. I'm happy the Bears seem like they are still able to run against a pretty good Raiders defense without Monty(plz come back soon tho)

But the Bears are a running football team, that is what their personnel is, they should continue to run the ball and play ball control offense.

I'd say what they are doing is better than when they were putting up 41 yards in a game, but it's still a terrible offense. Not sure what the ceiling is for a team that struggles to put together 100 passing yards in a game.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

C-Euro posted:

Joey Jared Needs Weapons

Yeah, it's funny, the Lions tried to build a top O-Line and neglect WR thinking that would work out ok in that the run game and pass pro would help Goff. Then all the bad WR got hurt and replaced with worse ones and the O-line has also had catastrophic injuries. So Goff hasn't had much of a chance, but has squandered what chance he's had.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I'd say what they are doing is better than when they were putting up 41 yards in a game, but it's still a terrible offense. Not sure what the ceiling is for a team that struggles to put together 100 passing yards in a game.

I mean if you are running for ~150 so long as you make the passes when it matters it's doable.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah, its the smart thing to do with the current personnel; I just wish it wasn't the best option for the Bears offense. (Or at least that our o-line was good enough at pass blocking to ensure the conservative extra-blocker approach to offense didn't still get Fields hit a dozen times a game against teams with a solid pass rush)

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Wideout room should just be called Jared's Goof Troop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

xbilkis posted:

Yeah, its the smart thing to do with the current personnel; I just wish it wasn't the best option for the Bears offense. (Or at least that our o-line was good enough at pass blocking to ensure the conservative extra-blocker approach to offense didn't still get Fields hit a dozen times a game against teams with a solid pass rush)

6 OL is a great move especially when you're the Bears and didn't spend tons of your cap at the TE slot

*Screaming in headset* oh woops. Lol