Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Evil_Greven posted:

i mean it was longer ago than that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lgzz-L7GFg

lyndon big loving johnson sent a thing to congress about it and there were reports and poo poo at least by 1965
https://www-legacy.dge.carnegiescie...Environment.pdf
(i write this from my shelter due to tornadoes in loving october)

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

one of my favorites:

lol lmao

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Lost Time posted:

one of my favorites:

lol lmao

Narrator: They did nothing about it.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Lost Time posted:

one of my favorites:

lol lmao

I wonder if zoomers will be able to pressure them enough to get an admitted whoopsie doodle from the ruling class

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Peak oilers are gonna have the biggest "I told you so ever" shortly enough

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Narrator: They did nothing about it.

The Gang Collapses Society

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Limits to Growth was right but one of their headline scenarios was "industry collapses because it runs out of oil" and when in the aughts everyone decided that wouldn't happen then LtG was understood to be fully disproven and wrong

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.

KaptainKrunk posted:

Peak oilers are gonna have the biggest "I told you so ever" shortly enough

I'm on the starting block. Even more so now even the Financial Times says Venezuelan reserves, admittedly the biggest proven OPEC reserves, are condemned to become a stranded asset. The laughs will never stop

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I thought peak oil already happened? at least for crude

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

actionjackson posted:

I thought peak oil already happened? at least for crude

Conventional oil peaked around 2007, tight / novel oil (tar sands, fracking, shale) peaked in 2019.

The shale boom of '08 - '19 never turned a profit, and was wholly reliant on subsidies to function at all:

quote:

Report from Deloitte adds that the “reality is that the shale boom peaked without making money for the industry in aggregate. In fact, the US shale industry registered net negative free cash flows of $300 billion, impaired more than $450 billion of invested capital, and saw more than 190 bankruptcies since 2010.”

Considering the oil shock of '07 precipitated the great financial crisis of' 08, by putting enough financial stress in Americans that they defaulted on their mortgages, the currently developing energy crisis - and lack of any developing markets to exploit in order to tamp it down this time - should be viewed as an extreme incoming LMAO.

Rime has issued a correction as of 15:18 on Oct 11, 2021

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
its fine

i have been informed that goons think the market will crash all of the time and have been wrong therefore the market could never crash

similar to how people predict climate catastrophe all of the time but the climate is fine and could never get worse

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 16:00 on Oct 11, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

does anyone know anything about these bills

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/10/climate/climate-action-congress.html

If I have to have keep owning a car an EV would be cool, but honestly gently caress cars

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the only part of bidens "infrastructure" plan i've ever heard about are new electric vehicle subsidies

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

actionjackson posted:

If I have to have keep owning a car an EV would be cool, but honestly gently caress cars

last i've read about it there was supposed to be a few billion in climate 'research'

a huge bulk of it goes to consultants and companies for carbon credits.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

actionjackson posted:

They started precompromised at perhaps 1/3 of a useful amount of funding but mostly to lobbyists and the usual grifts and are compromising further because the democrats are climate deniers and even this is too much a concession to the idea that things might not be okay bipartisanship.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the people in the comments who don't understand why manchin and synema will vote against it are hilarious

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

actionjackson posted:

the people in the comments who don't understand why manchin and synema will vote against it are hilarious

got any choice examples?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

While Senators Manchin and Sinema are holding up real progress on the Democratic environmental and infrastructure bill, let's not gloss over a more stunning reality:

50 Republican Senators from the Gas Oil Petroleum party refuse to lift a finger to help the USA transition to a safer, sustainable energy and environmental policy, preferring the short-term Grand Old Profits for the Grand Old Polluters that fund their destructive anti-climate, anti-future, anti-science, anti-family, anti-life political positions.

The Republican party's climate cooking political position is a crime against humanity.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bedpan posted:

While Senators Manchin and Sinema are holding up real progress on the Democratic environmental and infrastructure bill, let's not gloss over a more stunning reality:

50 Republican Senators from the Gas Oil Petroleum party refuse to lift a finger to help the USA transition to a safer, sustainable energy and environmental policy, preferring the short-term Grand Old Profits for the Grand Old Polluters that fund their destructive anti-climate, anti-future, anti-science, anti-family, anti-life political positions.

The Republican party's climate cooking political position is a crime against humanity.

let me guess this is one of the Editor's Pick comments that they force to the top of the list

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

^^ no editor's picks on this one lol

someday we will find out!!! by someday I mean uh, last year?

quote:

Maybe it’s not ineptitude.
I believe it is deliberate sabotage perpetuated for power and profit.
Manchin and Sinema are not Democrats.

Let’s make sure we remember that Cinema has asked for $100 billion in cuts off of the climate section of the reconciliation package because, as Sanders pointed out this weekend, she is receiving donations (also known as bribes everywhere else on earth) from oil and gas companies. The President and Pelosi should already be announcing their plans to run primary challengers against her and Manchin and any other Democrats that are resisting this legislation. Their political careers have to be brought to an end in short order for not falling in line. This couldn’t be more serious, and the Democratic leadership needs to start to act like it.

THE TRUTH: Manchin and Sienna are Republican plants who snaked their way in with the claim they’re “moderates”. Someday we’ll find out these two cynical narcissists did it all for the money and power.

I hope Senators Manchin and Sinema realize they have this sacred responsibility. If they get their way and this does not pass, then they need to realize that their 'win' means that world is likely to start crashing down around our ears economically and ecologically inside the next two decades. Then all their concerns about spending will look even more ridiculous and deeply tragic than they do now, the human suffering will be immense and (maybe this will motivate them) their names will live forever in infamy.

Since Manchin and Sinema are quite obviously motivated by money, perhaps Bezos, Zukerburg, Gates and Soros (maybe a few other billionaires) can call a secret meeting with them. Fly ‘em out to a private luxury island and give them the option of some ungodly amount in a secret offshore account in exchange for their vote on the legislation and the end of the filibuster. Sure it’s awful, but nothing else seems to have any effect on them.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DavidCable13/status/1447370676914974720

"The expected aviation demand in Puget Sound by 2050 will necessitate a second major international airport comparable to the size of SEA."

lol

"Seattle’s airport situation is not entirely dissimilar to the challenges facing Sydney’s Kingsford Smith Airport (SYD), which has an artificial limit on its capacity due to legislated strict overnight flight curfews and flight caps — a policy to reduce aircraft noise in residential areas immediately adjacent to the airport. Further expansions to SYD are also challenged by its limited geographical area and its location in the concave of a small bay, surrounded by neighbourhoods.

Before the pandemic, SYD saw over 40 million passengers annually, and was expected to reach capacity by 2030.

Given the unsurmountable obstacles with a major expansion of SYD, after a decade of serious planning, the Australian government began construction in 2018 on a major secondary international airport for the Sydney region, called Western Sydney International Airport.

Western Sydney’s location on farm and rural lands is over 40 km east of downtown Sydney and SYD, but major investments in highway and rail rapid transit will optimize ground access and travel times."

lmao

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

let me guess this is one of the Editor's Pick comments that they force to the top of the list

haha, you nailed it

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Laterite posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidCable13/status/1447370676914974720

"The expected aviation demand in Puget Sound by 2050 will necessitate a second major international airport comparable to the size of SEA."

lol

"Seattle’s airport situation is not entirely dissimilar to the challenges facing Sydney’s Kingsford Smith Airport (SYD), which has an artificial limit on its capacity due to legislated strict overnight flight curfews and flight caps — a policy to reduce aircraft noise in residential areas immediately adjacent to the airport. Further expansions to SYD are also challenged by its limited geographical area and its location in the concave of a small bay, surrounded by neighbourhoods.

Before the pandemic, SYD saw over 40 million passengers annually, and was expected to reach capacity by 2030.

Given the unsurmountable obstacles with a major expansion of SYD, after a decade of serious planning, the Australian government began construction in 2018 on a major secondary international airport for the Sydney region, called Western Sydney International Airport.

Western Sydney’s location on farm and rural lands is over 40 km east of downtown Sydney and SYD, but major investments in highway and rail rapid transit will optimize ground access and travel times."

lmao

lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the way we fix the problem of excessive airport noise in the US is to build the airports next to poor nonwhite neighborhoods so they don't have to limit the flights

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 18:06 on Oct 11, 2021

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

aviation fuel is still leaded

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSSNlM3Au1A

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

bedpan posted:

lmao

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
extra funny cause its the wealthies that continually insist on my citys airport remaining cause its a "business airport" but its almost only wealthy areas surrounding it

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

bedpan posted:

Planes flying out of commercial or cargo airports don't use avgas which makes it especially funny that we haven't banned something that is mostly recreational anyway

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

the only part of bidens "infrastructure" plan i've ever heard about are new electric vehicle subsidies

:cripes:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Approaching Collapse: Some Do's and Don'ts

quote:

In this public forum, academics and activists from Australia and North America consider the very real possibility of climate and ecological collapse. Infinite growth on a finite planet has pushed the planet into crisis, and these speakers tackle the difficult questions and taboo topics. They burst the fantasy of sustainability based on clean energy transition and argue for equitable approaches to global population. Pathways forward include a deliberate contraction of the human enterprise and a planned collapse.

This is a full day event occurring next Wednesday at the University of Tazmania, online attendance is free and is possible if the timezones line up for you. Two of the four presenters are the authors of Through The Eye Of The Needle: Meagan Seibert and William Rees, so I suspect this will be where their findings go "mainstream" if this picks up any attention.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

eSports Chaebol posted:

Planes flying out of commercial or cargo airports don't use avgas which makes it especially funny that we haven't banned something that is mostly recreational anyway

Also a lot of those aircraft burning 100LL could burn ethanol free gas just fine and a couple variations of lead free gas have been developed that would cover 99%+ of the gas purchases for planes that can’t burn ethanol free gasoline.

But the FAA is hilariously incompetent so nothing will ever be done about this problem.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Koirhor posted:

looks like its gonna be low to mid 80s for the entire next week still here in Ohio, the trees and plants look really confused, I’m sure its fine

Fall foliage in the Northeast has actually been one of the biggest "something is really wrong" indicators for me. My family used to take little foliage day trips every single year from when I was a baby up until sometime early in high school, so pretty much mid-80s until late-ish 90s. We've got tons of photos and every year you could pretty reliably hit a two-week window when poo poo was crazy colorful. Like just amazing if you hit it right, and the peak foliage period was always wide enough that it wasn't really a "blink and you miss it" kind of thing.

Now? Now it's just hosed, and the last five years have really been something totally outside of my experience in this area. The trees in my lawn drop their leaves before they turn, or they go straight from green to muted yellow/brown and then fall. It's also a lot more inconsistent, with a lot of trees clearly peaking and dropping their leaves while others are still solid green. I had to take a relatively long drive into upstate NY this weekend and while it's certainly still pretty, it's nothing like it should be in mid-October.

Trees need changes in light and relatively low temperatures to trigger the breakdown in chlorophyll, and the process can get easily disrupted by intense rains or too little water. They also need temperatures above freezing. People keep acting like "oh, the foliage season is just later now," but it's not. The process produces objectively less vibrant colors when it's disrupted (especially by dry weather or inconsistent rainfall), and trees peaking around the same time is what produces a week or so of insanely gorgeous landscapes. Beautiful fall landscapes aren't just getting pushed back, they're vanishing like so many other things, and way faster than anyone is willing to admit.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
has anyone considered lowering the carbon

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We can always have prisoners paint the leaves red each fall it's fine

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

Fall foliage in the Northeast has actually been one of the biggest "something is really wrong" indicators for me.

same thing is happening in southern ontario. last several years have been a total bust for nice fall colours.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

It's really hit certain types of trees in New England harder than others. Sycamores in particular seem hosed up.

Part of this is that we've lost September as a transition month over the past decade. The sorts of atmospheric transitions that used to take place are either bumped into October or November or simply flip on a dime.

I remember Halloweens in the 90s when you'd be out but the temps were in the 40s or 30s Fahrenheit. We probably won't be getting lower than 40F until at least the end of the month.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
it was 23C with ~90% humidity here today

it’s usually like 13C

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
apparently Europe is having a huge gas shortage right now. Russia also isn’t selling them any since the EU is insisting on short term contracts because they want to think they are successfully transitioning away from fossil fuels. so now they are burning a ton of coal to make up the difference, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

Fall foliage in the Northeast has actually been one of the biggest "something is really wrong" indicators for me. My family used to take little foliage day trips every single year from when I was a baby up until sometime early in high school, so pretty much mid-80s until late-ish 90s. We've got tons of photos and every year you could pretty reliably hit a two-week window when poo poo was crazy colorful. Like just amazing if you hit it right, and the peak foliage period was always wide enough that it wasn't really a "blink and you miss it" kind of thing.

Now? Now it's just hosed, and the last five years have really been something totally outside of my experience in this area. The trees in my lawn drop their leaves before they turn, or they go straight from green to muted yellow/brown and then fall. It's also a lot more inconsistent, with a lot of trees clearly peaking and dropping their leaves while others are still solid green. I had to take a relatively long drive into upstate NY this weekend and while it's certainly still pretty, it's nothing like it should be in mid-October.

Trees need changes in light and relatively low temperatures to trigger the breakdown in chlorophyll, and the process can get easily disrupted by intense rains or too little water. They also need temperatures above freezing. People keep acting like "oh, the foliage season is just later now," but it's not. The process produces objectively less vibrant colors when it's disrupted (especially by dry weather or inconsistent rainfall), and trees peaking around the same time is what produces a week or so of insanely gorgeous landscapes. Beautiful fall landscapes aren't just getting pushed back, they're vanishing like so many other things, and way faster than anyone is willing to admit.

We're seeing exactly the same issues up here in the Great Lakes. Right now looking outside my window like half the trees are naked after having a 10-day peak color period about 2 weeks ago and the other half are still green, though a dull dark green instead of vibrant.