Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Iron Crowned posted:

Pantera has done everything they can to bury everything before it.

Hedrigall Hedrigall Hedrigall!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Two more times and I come out of your mirror

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

twistedmentat posted:

I was "he's sorta goth but more Glam/Shock really, more Alice Cooper than Edward Eldrich" and then I'd be told to shut up, with humor but shut up none the less.

for my 21st my dad and i went to see slayer on the tour with manson co-headlining and my wasted dad yelled at me after the show that he grew up on "t rex and alice cooper and david bowie and all that glam poo poo" and that manson was "loving awesome"

i personally always liked it because there were just a lot of heavy fuckin riffs, the image was silly even when i was a young impressionable teen

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Two more times and I come out of your mirror

Beetlejuice is more efficient (or more thirsty) than Candyman

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Pantera has done everything they can to bury everything before it.

wow, you can’t even see the lines of the notebook paper Vinnie Paul drew this on

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I knew this
https://youtu.be/tWHVvXUw-RU

waaaaaay before I knew this

https://youtu.be/AQXVHITd1N4

probably the high water-mark of 80s/90s Saturday morning cartoon tie ins to films for grownups

the series itself was pretty budget-constrained, especially at the end, but they spent money on that intro animation

trilobite terror has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Oct 11, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Beetlejuice movie was a formative experience for kid me. i dread the day they try to remake it. and they will, there's nothing they won't defile.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I really want to hear the story of how they got from Beetlejuice the movie to Beetlejuice the cartoon.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

ultrafilter posted:

I really want to hear the story of how they got from Beetlejuice the movie to Beetlejuice the cartoon.

excellent post-avatar combo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ultrafilter posted:

Same as Robocop and other mature films getting cartoon series; A lot of coke and finding new markets to leverage a popular IP with.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Same as Robocop and other mature films getting cartoon series; A lot of coke and finding new markets to leverage a popular IP with.

They're movies that kids liked, even if they had only seen the trailers, and had big potential for toy sales. Kids don't need to see Robocop or Rambo to have adventures in the backyard with them, they shoot the bad guys and that's all that is needed.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

They're movies that kids liked, even if they had only seen the trailers, and had big potential for toy sales. Kids don't need to see Robocop or Rambo to have adventures in the backyard with them, they shoot the bad guys and that's all that is needed.

I can’t source details at the moment because I’m busy working (ugh!), but y’all should look up the aborted attempt to bring the ALIEN/ALIENS franchise (Operation: Aliens) to cartoons

And the last gasp of that wonderful format was, of course, the classic (and maybe surprisingly beloved) Godzilla: The Series, which did the needful and had the cast of humans team up with Godzilla, as the Lord intended. It went on for three seasons. Depending on whom you talk to it was arguably killed by 9/11.

https://youtu.be/1b2CtgkwJQA

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And then a company bought the molds for the Aliens and Jurassic Park toys and started selling 4 color versions in Walmart about a year ago.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Kids in the 80s/90s also got to see sanitized versions of those movies shown on network TV. My first exposure to Robocop was on the ABC Saturday Night Movie or whatever. Fun for the whole family.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And then a company bought the molds for the Aliens and Jurassic Park toys and started selling 4 color versions in Walmart about a year ago.

I know, I want a bunch of them

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

uber_stoat posted:

Beetlejuice movie was a formative experience for kid me. i dread the day they try to remake it. and they will, there's nothing they won't defile.

If it makes you feel any better, the recent Beetlejuice stage musical is excellent

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Those are new Aliens molds, the originals were a lot more detailed

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Splint Chesthair posted:

Kids in the 80s/90s also got to see sanitized versions of those movies shown on network TV. My first exposure to Robocop was on the ABC Saturday Night Movie or whatever. Fun for the whole family.

One of the teachers at my elementary school was an extra(cop) in Robocop so naturally, everyone got that movie on VHS for Christmas and watched it with their horrified moms. My dad was like, see? they're quoting Shakespeare! after the goodnight sweet prince line one guy made after they finished giving Murphy a lead salad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ultrafilter posted:

I'm waiting for What a Cartoon podcast to do an episode on it.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Splint Chesthair posted:

Or if you were lucky, like in my case, your Grandma got a 2 week free promotion to Superstation and recorded every movie she could onto SLP VHS, then gave a whole stack of wildly inappropriate and uncensored 80s films to you when you were 10 or 11 years old.

I got 6 hour film marathons on each tape with combinations like Manhunter / Predator / Ruthless People and Commando / Goonies / Big Trouble in Little China.

RIP and thanks for the inspiration Grandma Connie, I'm just about to start my 23rd year in the film industry.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

uber_stoat posted:

Not saying it would be good, but if they do it it'll probably be a sequel/reboot type of deal. There was reportedly a plan for a sequel for decades, and Michael Keaton is kind of going through a career resurgence now, and would probably be down for it.

I think you could definitely improve on the original, but keeping the tone would be crucial -- since that's the main thing it has going for it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:lol:

I can't remember the details, but I was at one of my brother's friends house semi-regularly, and I remember at one point his mom was going through video tapes, and she was horrified that I recognized one of them was Predator.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBYvpPt81zo
Best widget game of the 90s

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't remember the details, but I was at one of my brother's friends house semi-regularly, and I remember at one point his mom was going through video tapes, and she was horrified that I recognized one of them was Predator.

One of the tapes? Or do you mean they decloaked without realizing it?

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I think a great example of wildly inappropriate movies made into cartoons is Starship Troopers

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Sir Lemming posted:

Not saying it would be good, but if they do it it'll probably be a sequel/reboot type of deal. There was reportedly a plan for a sequel for decades, and Michael Keaton is kind of going through a career resurgence now, and would probably be down for it.

I think you could definitely improve on the original, but keeping the tone would be crucial -- since that's the main thing it has going for it.

Of course the plan for the sequel was Bettlejuice goes Hawaiian. Which was proposed as an idea too ludicrous to be taken seriously, and then it was.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Der-Wreck posted:

I think a great example of wildly inappropriate movies made into cartoons is Starship Troopers

What's more wildly-inappropriate was cancelling it three episodes before it was supposed to properly end after multiple seasons :colbert:.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sir Lemming posted:

Lydia would have to be a neurotic Zoomer and her parents Gen X burnouts resigned to the death of our planet or something. Because "kooky goth live in suburbia" just doesn't hit it anymore.

Iono how you replicate the ghosts' plot line though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Lydia would have to be a neurotic Zoomer and her parents Gen X burnouts resigned to the death of our planet or something. Because "kooky goth live in suburbia" just doesn't hit it anymore.

Iono how you replicate the ghosts' plot line though.

Lydia:

https://youtu.be/v5RZ8k6iQik

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Der-Wreck posted:

Roughneck Chronicles? It was actually pretty good.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

poo poo, that reminds me... It's 30 years later and I still don't know where my children are.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I learned recently that that poo poo is still on TV, weekday afternoons, it’s got like a bunch of Z list ex-Vh1 comedians and Tonya Harding and one of the minor chud Baldwins on it

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

PhotoKirk posted:

Roughneck Chronicles? It was actually pretty good.

Yes, that’s it! I remember it being hot on the heels of Reboot and Beast Wars (Beasties because I’m Canadian) and being similar to those two series in exploring some darker, more serious themes and topics.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I know it started with Hunt For Red October, but was anyone else super into submarines in the 90s? I've encountered a decent number of other nerds who were super into looking at pictures of Typhoons and Ohio Classes.

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

Der-Wreck posted:

I was going to add the Robocop animated series here, but that was 88. The Verhoeven connection is kinda wild and worth mention though.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I learned recently that that poo poo is still on TV, weekday afternoons, it’s got like a bunch of Z list ex-Vh1 comedians and Tonya Harding and one of the minor chud Baldwins on it
Is that the one that's on TruTV in between Impractical Jokers reruns and Carbano Effect reruns? Or is it a different show?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
The Beetlejuice cartoon got an MS-DOS game adaptation. This was one of the few games we had for our Tandy 1000 TX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTIErnqDpo

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Der-Wreck posted:

Kind of like the Alien and Aliens toy lines of the 70s to 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

twistedmentat posted:

I know it started with Hunt For Red October, but was anyone else super into submarines in the 90s? I've encountered a decent number of other nerds who were super into looking at pictures of Typhoons and Ohio Classes.

There were a bunch of mediocre to great naval warfare sims back in the 80's/90's. Harpoon, Red Storm Rising, 688 Attack Sub, Silent Service, Silent Hunter, etc.