Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Brolachan - a small umbrella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Total Meatlove posted:

Keith's gonna have to argue why these whistleblowers are bad, but the Panorama ones deserved payoffs, and not reveal any detail about the report into the report. :lol:

Don't worry, it will be framed in the complicit press entirely in the context of Corbyn getting revenge from beyond the grave as ""Corbyn staff accused of leaking private information, bankrupt party" without ever going into what that 'private information' was.

Oh my tattoo? Oh it's german, it says 'The Labour Party, The'.

Desiderata fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 11, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Somewhat uncharitable way to describe the maltese gun batteries :v:

I'm sad to have discovered the combination AA emplacement and pillbox between St. Julian's and Sliema that was my Maltese family's "beach house" has apparently been demolished and replaced with a lovely looking diving centre and bar. Also the quotes apply to "beach" as much as they do to "house" because it was literally just solid rock right up to the water's edge.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

U.K. police say they won't take action on Prince Andrew sexual assault lawsuit

quote:

LONDON — British police said Monday that they would take no action after reviewing a document related to a U.S. civil sexual assault lawsuit filed against Queen Elizabeth II's son, Prince Andrew.

Virginia Giuffre, who has accused Andrew of sexually abusing her when she was a teenager, filed the suit in August in New York’s Southern District. The suit alleges that convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, who died by suicide in 2019 after he was arrested on federal sex trafficking charges, and his longtime associate, Ghislaine Maxwell, compelled her to engage in sexual acts with Andrew 20 years ago.

She sued Andrew under New York State’s Child Victim’s Act, alleging he committed “rape in the first degree.” Andrew, the Duke of York, has always vehemently denied the allegations. In a 2019 interview with the BBC, he said he has “no recollection” of ever meeting Giuffre. He also suggested that a photograph of them together with Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell could have been doctored.

The suit alleges that Andrew abused her at three locations — in London and New York and at Epstein’s private island in the U.S. Virgin Islands, when she was under the age of 18. It mirrors claims that Giuffre, now 38, previously detailed to NBC’s “Dateline.” The Metropolitan Police based in London said in the statement that it “continues to liaise with other law enforcement agencies who lead the investigation into matters related to Jeffrey Epstein.”
My condolences.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

keep punching joe posted:

Anyway totally normal and cool that the right-wing want to get back into the colonisation game. Lucky for the rest of the world that our armed forces are a shambolic mess.

I think it was on Podcasting is Praxis where they pointed out that our armed forces have been privatised to the point where the entire military budget's going on massive rip-off contracts to price-gouging firms and they've barely got any ability to deploy overseas any more.

Which is honestly pretty funny.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I wonder what Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary will make of it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Total Meatlove posted:

Parking a Type 45 in the harbour and then building New Jerusalem on the rock would probably be of a net benefit to world peace, given that to sustain it you'd need close agricultural ties to the nearest continent and all the boomers would die off fast given the conditions.

Keith's gonna have to argue why these whistleblowers are bad, but the Panorama ones deserved payoffs, and not reveal any detail about the report into the report. :lol:

Would this report not become a matter of public record if its entered as evidence?

I have no idea about how courts work regards to this just FYI.

Also just saw that they have got Carter Ruck on the case. Lmao Labour are bankrupt before christmas.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Desiderata posted:

Oh my tattoo? Oh it's german, it says 'The Labour Party, The'.

Sounds like they might be going into bankruptcy proceedings soon at the rate things are escalating.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Labour party income is around £58m though.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Well. I bought a ticket too. gently caress it. The fun of thinking what I'd do with a few million quid is more than worth £2.50.

Camrath if I win can I commission a millionaires shortbread fudge to send to everyone in the thread?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Private Speech posted:

Yes, but at current growth rate their legal costs in 2024 will be £2bn, QED.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thanks to the sound financial advice of this thread (ahem) I have purchased a Euromillions ticket.
When I win, I might throw you paupers a few crusts or burn a few rolled up £50 notes in front of you.

and i'll follow jaeluni around moving my head from side to side in staccato like a pigeon looking for crusts

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
gently caress lotteries, I'm going to goad Starmer into calling me a llama nonce so I can sue.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Mebh posted:

I rang up my mortgage advisor to ask exactly this and he told me to get an estate agent in, tell them I want to sell and get a valuation.

You're under no obligation to sell, if you tell them you're remortgaging you'll just get an online survey which you can do yourself and won't account for any changes.

How much is your/a mortgage adviser?

We remotgaged a year or so ago and never really consulted anyone. We got contacted by some "the new home group" who then proceeded to really try hard to sell us more aviva insurance products instead of just handling the remortgage. They tried to initially claim that our house value had dropped because they just looked at the average house price on the scheemy estate across the road, but ultimately just said the house was the same value and signed us back up with the same lender.

In the last year there's been a fair few houses in my street getting sold and, thanks to the land deeds, i've worked out that the average price has increased by 15% since we moved in. It's got me thinking that our house actually might have increased by some when we remortgaged, but because we didn't consult an expert we got railroaded into just acceting what this company said.

Also, is it worth getting a financial adviser too or are they just gonna tell you to pay off debts and max out your ISA/Pensions or do they tend to lean more into investment advice, etc?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Bear in mind they had to fire+rehire* a bunch of staff earlier in the year because they couldn't afford to keep them on their current contracts.
Labour is skint.

*Yes, we all thought that was pretty funny/scummy at the time.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

gently caress lotteries, I'm going to goad Starmer into calling me a llama nonce so I can sue.

That would lead to a lengthy court case where people in tailored suits try to convince everyone that you are a llama nonce. Be careful. Truth doesn't matter.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Private Speech posted:

I don't think its that high anymore, especially given all the sackings and fire/rehire on lovely temp min wage contracts they've had to do this year. That suggests they have a major cashflow problem.

It wouldn't take a spectacularly large settlement to bankrupt them, especially if they have to pay costs.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
What would happen if you won a 100 million quid and tried to spend all of it at once on bitcoin?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kingturnip posted:

Bear in mind they had to fire+rehire* a bunch of staff earlier in the year because they couldn't afford to keep them on their current contracts.
Labour is skint.

*Yes, we all thought that was pretty funny/scummy at the time.

Considering who said that I am suspicious that it was a "necessary" measure rather than just something they felt like doing.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

serious gaylord posted:

I don't think its that high anymore, especially given all the sackings and fire/rehire on lovely temp min wage contracts they've had to do this year. That suggests they have a major cashflow problem.

It wouldn't take a spectacularly large settlement to bankrupt them, especially if they have to pay costs.

You're probably right, now that I look at it, like £8-16m might be gone now, unless it was replaced by big business donations.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Guavanaut posted:

"Starmer has has libelled my client. It was actually an alpaca"

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Private Speech posted:

You're probably right, now that I look at it, like £8-16m might be gone now, unless it was replaced by big business donations.

The last we heard they were hemorrhaging members and it wasn't being replaced by big business donations. Add in that some unions have now said the purse strings are closed for the time being and outside of an election campaign their funding will be drying up.

They'll obviously keep getting short money but the cash for staff not in the immediate vicinity of parliament is running out for sure.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 11, 2021

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Kin posted:

How much is your/a mortgage adviser?

Free basically. HSBC paid the bill to have the mortgage. Bit mad, but like with most of these things, ring one and ask. I used the mortgage advice bureau and they were super awesome. The advisor I got 2 years ago is just the guy I ring directly now.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Mebh posted:

Well. I bought a ticket too. gently caress it. The fun of thinking what I'd do with a few million quid is more than worth £2.50.

Camrath if I win can I commission a millionaires shortbread fudge to send to everyone in the thread?

I mean, you can literally do that without winning- it's a flavour I bought in early last year. Haven't done it for a while because it was a massive faff and had bad shelf life, but yeah.

I can make it happen.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What would happen if you won a 100 million quid and tried to spend all of it at once on bitcoin?

You'll have no problem turning 100 million quid into bitcoin, and changing it back will surely be just as simple!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

loving hell, it'll be interesting to see if "I have seen a lot of shops in my time, you can tell by the pixels" will fly in court.

Imagine I photoshopped the river from that Stalin pic over the photo of him with Giuffre instead of sailing the high seas of the Deadfire peninsula in my trusty sloop , 'The Trans Agenda.'

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mebh posted:

I rang up my mortgage advisor to ask exactly this and he told me to get an estate agent in, tell them I want to sell and get a valuation.

You're under no obligation to sell, if you tell them you're remortgaging you'll just get an online survey which you can do yourself and won't account for any changes.

We did this too as we're looking to get an extension done. We got 3 estate agents in and they valued our house at nearly 90k up on what we bought it for. Mortgage advisors will use that figure and the mortgage surveyors themselves will often not even attend a property, just go on if its 'reasonable' with regards other properties in the area and maybe drive past it to make sure the house isnt a bombed out hellhole.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

loving hell, it'll be interesting to see if "I have seen a lot of shops in my time, you can tell by the pixels" will fly in court.

Imagine I photoshopped the river from that Stalin pic over the photo of him with Giuffre instead of sailing the high seas of the Deadfire peninsula in my trusty sloop , 'The Trans Agenda.'

Wait is that the actual defence he's used as opposed to being something a lot of Twitter accounts all decided independently was his response?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Need a player for the British Commonwealth in my space race game, so I'm posting here.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3980882

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wait is that the actual defence he's used as opposed to being something a lot of Twitter accounts all decided independently was his response?
From the NBC article:

"Andrew, the Duke of York, has always vehemently denied the allegations. In a 2019 interview with the BBC, he said he has “no recollection” of ever meeting Giuffre. He also suggested that a photograph of them together with Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell could have been doctored."

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

Catching up to the thread today. Wanted to chime in though I'm well behind to say i enjoyed the recent praxiscast episode on Scotpol, and the discussion about the Scottish Greens sliding into mediocrity was really insightful.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

From the NBC article:

"Andrew, the Duke of York, has always vehemently denied the allegations. In a 2019 interview with the BBC, he said he has “no recollection” of ever meeting Giuffre. He also suggested that a photograph of them together with Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell could have been doctored."

Quick, someone photoshop Brenda into that photo.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Can you really get a PhD in Photoshop? Or do they just mean .psd?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Need a player for the British Commonwealth in my space race game, so I'm posting here.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3980882

I don't have the time but I find it vaguely funny that nobody wants to play as the British.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mebh posted:

Well. I bought a ticket too.

I've bought TWO tickets :smug:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

My condolences.

:thanks:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Mebh posted:

Free basically. HSBC paid the bill to have the mortgage. Bit mad, but like with most of these things, ring one and ask. I used the mortgage advice bureau and they were super awesome. The advisor I got 2 years ago is just the guy I ring directly now.

I used HSBC and the advisor was quite good (and no charges), though the best part was the hilarious set of passive aggressive letters sent to me and my wife separately to confirm that we had rejected his kind attempt to upsell us on all kinds of overpriced insurances that we just don't need

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I guess it's worth their while to sell you all that stuff you don't need so they can then get paid to investigate themselves in ten years time and win you a payout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If I win big on Euromillions tonight I will pay off my mortgage as the sensible thing; pay for cosmetic surgery as the frivolous thing; and pay to have a baby as the long-term investment.

Also fudge for everyone.

Assuming no big win, I'm up for remortgage next spring, just as the energy price cap increases and the Govt's 'keep prices low to save Christmas' scheme finishes. It's not going to be pretty.

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 11, 2021