Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah sorry, I actually thought I had turned off Wi-Fi before I hit submit but my laptop tethered to my phone automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

CLAM DOWN posted:

Give me a heads up before you do this next time, because I was about to probate you for report abuse before I dug into your post history.

Did you happen to note whether the last report was marked NWS?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

carry on then posted:

Did you happen to note whether the last report was marked NWS?

Yes it was

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Thanks! That addition is ready to ship

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I demand credit in your app for my sacrifice

astral
Apr 26, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

I demand credit in your app for my sacrifice

New thread subtitle.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

We’ll add it to the list

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

astral posted:

I'd recommend using the App Dev forum for such testing.

Cavern of cobol? Or is there another one?

e: nevermind. pokeyman is the sole IK of CoC. clever!

commie kong fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 27, 2021

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I think the app still uses this old one too so just a heads up if it's true.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

101 posted:

I think the app still uses this old one too so just a heads up if it's true.

Haha I’ve attempted to remove the 1Password helper, but we gotta keep it for people using older iOS versions. At some point I’ll update my thing so that it does a version check before attempting to load the helper. I think ios12 is when ios started supporting 1Password natively

That app may be raising its minimum target ios version and won’t need that helper

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

commie kong posted:

Haha I’ve attempted to remove the 1Password helper, but we gotta keep it for people using older iOS versions. At some point I’ll update my thing so that it does a version check before attempting to load the helper. I think ios12 is when ios started supporting 1Password natively

That app may be raising its minimum target ios version and won’t need that helper

Fair enough.

Yeah it seems like Unread is pretty aggressive about minimum iOS version. It's only supporting 14.5 and up.

Didn't realise Awful supported all the way back to iOS 9!?
Is there any data on how many iOS 9 users there still are? Feel like that'd be a nightmare what with how many Swift niceties get version gated.

I got work to finally bump our apps to 13 since it still supports some pretty old devices. I also argued we may as well do it to 14 since that also supports the same devices but no dice.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
YouTube bug where videos play when just being touched when scrolling seems fixed now! Thanks!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://imgur.com/gallery/We6yCM2

Imgur got bought, so expect that to go (even more) to poo poo.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

`Nemesis posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/We6yCM2

Imgur got bought, so expect that to go (even more) to poo poo.

Those are some salty Great Value redditor comments

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I wanted to say thanks for all the work but especially highlight that the Awful keyboard extension now not only copies the text equivalent but can paste the animated graphic directly in chats!

Thanks for making my iMessage conversations more fun!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

101 posted:

Fair enough.

Yeah it seems like Unread is pretty aggressive about minimum iOS version. It's only supporting 14.5 and up.

Didn't realise Awful supported all the way back to iOS 9!?
Is there any data on how many iOS 9 users there still are? Feel like that'd be a nightmare what with how many Swift niceties get version gated.

I got work to finally bump our apps to 13 since it still supports some pretty old devices. I also argued we may as well do it to 14 since that also supports the same devices but no dice.

It’s not too bad when developing, most of the time it comes up we’re responding to some change in the OS is a simple if available check is all that’s required.

I definitely get it though, I’m stuck writing Java 6 for one of the main products at my job.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Hed posted:

I wanted to say thanks for all the work but especially highlight that the Awful keyboard extension now not only copies the text equivalent but can paste the animated graphic directly in chats!

Thanks for making my iMessage conversations more fun!

Huh, that reminds me that I haven't really ever used that keyboard. I remember installing it years ago but the first time I tried to use it in some other app (I think Telegram) it blew the smilie up into some huge, stretched out monstrosity. Like it was auto-resizing it or something. Is that just at the mercy of the app in question (i.e. how they handle small images) or is that maybe something that eventually got fixed?

Edit: huh, now that I'm messing around with it again, it looks like it only copies the vbcode to your clipboard or something like that. Won't let me paste into other, non-Awful apps. Weird, I thought it used to let you actually paste the actual SA smilies in other apps? Maybe that's what changed.

Edit2: Nevermind, I'm dumb, I re-enabled it but didn't "allow full access"

Shnakepup fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 28, 2021

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Other devs: last night I pushed a fix for a weird issue I was seeing on the built-from-source version on iOS 15 with grey/transparent navigation bars when scroll views were at the top. It seems like a pretty straightforward problem/solution but I’m a little surprised no one mentioned it so let me know if you were seeing something different and I broke something.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Shnakepup posted:

Edit2: Nevermind, I'm dumb, I re-enabled it but didn't "allow full access"

Oh sick, I was wondering how to get that to play nice. Some of the selection is goobered up a bit, but I like it.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Warbird posted:

Oh sick, I was wondering how to get that to play nice. Some of the selection is goobered up a bit, but I like it.

It still displays all huge in Telegram (or sometimes just not at all) but I'm guessing that's more on their end.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

carry on then posted:

Other devs: last night I pushed a fix for a weird issue I was seeing on the built-from-source version on iOS 15 with grey/transparent navigation bars when scroll views were at the top. It seems like a pretty straightforward problem/solution but I’m a little surprised no one mentioned it so let me know if you were seeing something different and I broke something.

No you’re right. Only happens when you build in Xcode 13

Sorry, should have mentioned it. I am working on a side project (new theme and UI updates) that includes a fix for it, but didn’t consider other devs wanting to do builds in the meantime! At least it wasn’t a huge pain for you

Stuff like that I should just commit straight to Main, probably

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Was there ever any insight on what might be behind the “disappearing quotation marks” business? I just had it happen to be and it’s the weirdest drat thing.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Warbird posted:

Was there ever any insight on what might be behind the “disappearing quotation marks” business? I just had it happen to be and it’s the weirdest drat thing.

Oh is that a thing? I thought maybe I was just very high or dreamt it but I definitely had a post eat my quotation marks

:tinfoil:
“Test”

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Warbird posted:

Yeah, it's a battle between html character encoding and Apple's smart punctuation (autocorrect/suggestions/etc). Apple's injected punctuation can sometimes use characters outside any of the encodings typically used on the web. The missing characters are actually there and saved to posts, but they are not rendered. Not in the app, not in a browser, not in the bloody xcode debug console! But they are present in the source.

I do have a "fix", but it involves decoding and encoding text multiple times, which seems pretty inefficient. I can hand this over if anyone wants to have a look. There has gotta be a better way!

Edit: This is for viewing, which is all I've got so far. We should also check our encoding for posting, as it would be nice if those characters weren't sent to SA to begin with. (Tho we can only control posts from the app and I wouldn't be surprised if posting via a MacOS desktop browser does the same thing if autocorrect is enabled?)

commie kong fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 29, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oof, that does sound like a booger. Thanks for the write up!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Ban anyone who uses smart punctuation.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i use alt codes to manually type in proper quotes and apostrophes because i wasn’t raised in the wild by wolves.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Would it be possible to add an option to collapse long quotes? Like SALR does on desktop.

Came here to post this, it would be a nice feature for when some wiseacre quotes a massive post and then says “Same” after :haw:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It doesn't work for posts that quote a lot of long stuff that you might want to read the responses to, but you can always double tap the post to jump to the end of the ones that give one word replies.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh that is a handy tip, thank you!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

priznat posted:

Came here to post this, it would be a nice feature for when some wiseacre quotes a massive post and then says “Same” after :haw:

this wouldn't be referring to a specific post in the gbs trump thread would it?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

carry on then posted:

this wouldn't be referring to a specific post in the gbs trump thread would it?

Lol that was definitely an impetus that got me thinking.. I turned on the double tap to scroll a post though and works great!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there a way to hide the page count at the bottom until you hit the end of a page/start scrolling in the opposite direction? I would love having extra reading space for the occasional screencap.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

I am actually working on that :)

No eta tho

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The app doesn’t seem to be respecting the iOS photos privacy setting correctly? If I download an image to my phone, then switch to the app and do the img upload flow it only asks me if I want to pick more photos for Awful to see about 25% of the time. The rest of the time it just lets me upload anything including pictures I haven’t chosen to share with the app.

Seems like a gently caress up on Apple’s part to give an app access to photos it isn’t supposed to but I thought I’d mention it here

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
Is there any way to let the web browser built into Awful make use of Safari extensions? I have a dark mode extension for Safari installed, but opening a page in Awful doesn’t make use of it, which can be blinding. It’d be more convenient if I didn’t have to open every link in Safari at night, which I would think could be possible if the browser respected the current setting of the Safari extension. I’m not sure if this is possible or how hard it would be if so.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Jigsaw posted:

Is there any way to let the web browser built into Awful make use of Safari extensions? I have a dark mode extension for Safari installed, but opening a page in Awful doesn’t make use of it, which can be blinding. It’d be more convenient if I didn’t have to open every link in Safari at night, which I would think could be possible if the browser respected the current setting of the Safari extension. I’m not sure if this is possible or how hard it would be if so.

There's a default browser setting in Settings tab of the app. If you set it to 'Safari' it will take you to normal Safari and will use your extensions

Using 'Awful' uses a thing apps can use called SafariViewController. Which currently doesn't support extensions. There's nothing apps themselves can do about that

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

101 posted:

There's a default browser setting in Settings tab of the app. If you set it to 'Safari' it will take you to normal Safari and will use your extensions

Using 'Awful' uses a thing apps can use called SafariViewController. Which currently doesn't support extensions. There's nothing apps themselves can do about that

Yeah, I know about that option but it’s a bit more convenient to not have to switch away from the app to Safari most of the time. But if them’s the breaks, them’s the breaks I guess

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Jigsaw posted:

Yeah, I know about that option but it’s a bit more convenient to not have to switch away from the app to Safari most of the time. But if them’s the breaks, them’s the breaks I guess

Yeah it's on Apple. No sure why they decided not to have extensions work in-app ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just upgraded to ios15 and there isn’t a scroll bar visible in threads. There is one on the bookmarks page.