Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Soriano is the NL one and I think he holds up better than Ortiz, in my opinion anyway, since he has like guaranteed base stealing level speed and great fielding as well as a good amount of hitting stats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Question - I love smashing the Rockies on rookie once a night, but that's about 45 minutes or more of my limited gaming time. Is there a better way to level up all your progressions/quests/whatevers?

I'm looking forward to the next year, because I'll get the game on release. This is a big clusterfuck of differing progressions and card types that almost all require googling poo poo on my cell phone. (Why the hell couldn't all the cards just have some little box telling you the specific type for use in progressions?)

I finally got my create a player doofus up to gold relief pitching. Getting to silver slugging spark plug happened faster, but progressing it to gold is taking longer. Doing two way batting/relief pitching means I get a lot less at bats.

I also unlocked diamond Justin Turner from his rookie quest. Woop woop!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Baltimore on Rookie at Shippett. Right now the current inning missions use Extra Innings, so that might help. You can play those on Rookie, too. And go ALL THE gently caress OUT for the missions if you're playing like that. My "missions" team is all Tops Now 1st or 3rd basemen besides the catcher for the inning missions.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
If I can figure out why I don't have access to all my good cards in online play, I might give that a try.

Technically, I'm 2-0 in online play. Both of them had diamond lineups, with me playing with bronze and lower junk. One guy not hit me through five innings in a three inning game, then I cranked a home run and he rage quit. Second guy rage quit after the first, because I managed to contact hit until I got someone home.

If that's how people play, I like my odds.

Weird Question - The gold archetype for Sparkplug Slugger are The Hawk and The Tool Shed. Any opinions on that for a guy who has never stolen a base? The one that has a speed boost is at 78 with my character, while the one I'd prefer with fielding is 73.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
General Question - Now that I have my Create-A-Player fully kitted in diamond gear, I've got about a 250k stubs hanging around and growing.

What do you all mostly use your stubs to buy? I like the progression of unlocking cards, so I'm not sure just buying them would be as much fun. But is that about all there is at a certain point?

God drat, I wish there was a bat better than the God Awful looking Jackie Robinson one that came with the game. But I'm slugging/sparkplug, so an 8+/8+ bat is about the best I can get.

(I did decorate it with grip tape, but it doesn't do much for the ugly barrel.)

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

atm the market is super wonky because of team affinity 4 (which can give you an entire 99 lineup/rotation) and the new big collection reward in kershaw.

Personally I'd either look into getting whichever one of the big expensive cards you want (if you want any) or looking into finishing some of the collections; 42 collection requires finishing team affinity 1, but otherwise is pretty cheap nowadays.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Buying live series diamonds off the community market is pretty much the only way you're going to get all of them unless you spend an insane amount on packs. I gave up on getting Chipper until last night when I saw how cheap Acuña, degrom and cole have gotten. Trout still costs an arm and a leg, but the goals in sight now!

If you don't want to do collection stuff, just mess around and try and find players you like IRL and see if you like using them in game as well. Team Affinity, Player Programs, and Monthly Awards are pretty good for finding them if they aren't former inning bosses, or ranked/BR/event rewards. Former requires playing, latter requires stubs. Or just being good at the game, but that's for suckers.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Trout was one of the choices for the 90+ player pack at the end of this inning for me, I don't know if they vary. I took it, and sold it...for 157k, that's dirt cheap compared to where he was. (It's still like $100 real dollars, though)

Grem fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 12, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I feel like an old, because after I spend part of my video game time working on my created player I end up playing Conquest. Rapid fire three inning, bite sized games with a bunch of rewards is fun and levels up everything.

Except for the requirements requiring online play. After encountering two rage quitters in my first two games, I'm not sure I want to open up that can of spring loaded bullshit.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I feel like an old, because after I spend part of my video game time working on my created player I end up playing Conquest. Rapid fire three inning, bite sized games with a bunch of rewards is fun and levels up everything.

Except for the requirements requiring online play. After encountering two rage quitters in my first two games, I'm not sure I want to open up that can of spring loaded bullshit.

You will quickly grow to hate Marlins pitching prospect Edward Cabrera.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

blossommirage posted:

You will quickly grow to hate Marlins pitching prospect Edward Cabrera.

I hate the pitchers who induce endless, ungodly pop ups.

Is he one of those? If so, I hate him.

(I refuse to accept that it is because I'm endlessly trying to hit dingers in every game on veteran or lower difficulty.)

(Also, the Ozzie Smith progression moments "Get on base three times in a game" or "Get eight total bases in four games" can absolutely go to hell. I have zero idea why I cannot complete those loving things.)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
The absolute toughest one for me for some reason was I think 5 XBH in 3 games as Gary Carter, that one took me soooo many tries, so many perfect lineouts...

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

the secret to the ozzie smith missions is to just drag bunt until you get it.

this is not a joke just trying to bunt cheese the AI was way simpler than actually trying to hit with that freaking card

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Ozzie Smith moments are pure evil, yeah. Cabrera is just really hard to pick up, can't see the ball out of his hand at all. He has a normal wind up. Usually it's just like Lefty Grove or Cy Young that have weird wind ups that take forever.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Clearing all the conquest maps for TA4 on rookie has ruined my ability to hit online. Do not be like me.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

TheFlyingLlama posted:

the secret to the ozzie smith missions is to just drag bunt until you get it.

this is not a joke just trying to bunt cheese the AI was way simpler than actually trying to hit with that freaking card

I'm not sure why I'm even trying to finish it. Probably just the sunk cost fallacy. I cannot imagine he is the type of player I'm putting in a line up when diamond 97+ cards are falling out of Team Affinity poo poo.

God drat what I wouldn't give for a "This card is part of challenges X, Y, and Z where you have to complete X, Y, and Z."

I also had a card earlier of an old rear end player without a visible team emblem on it or the uniform. I needed a specific team in my line up for a challenge. I looked all through the stats and nowhere did it say his team. I ended up giving up, because I refuse to go across the room to my phone to google that poo poo.

This game is fun. But gently caress me it's impossible to keep track of poo poo if you don't start at day one.

blossommirage posted:

Clearing all the conquest maps for TA4 on rookie has ruined my ability to hit online. Do not be like me.

I think it's too late for me. My night is "Daily Moments/Topps Now Moment backlog I'll never finish/Monthly or Player Moments/Road to the Show/Conquest."

I literally don't understand how someone could have time for all the game modes.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

part of the thing to remember is that, despite everything, MLB the show is a live service game. It is built around the idea that you are playing it...at least an hour or two every day, since release.

if you've done that, the content drip is pretty reasonable; having played somewhere in that range since release, I'm 80% through team affinity 4 with half of the latest player program to go (keith hernandez and frankly if I needed him for collections he'd be done already)

it's just that a steady content drip for the grinders since release is loving insane for anyone coming late or who isn't playing an hour+ every day

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Woo, just finished whatever month ended with Marcus Semien. Now all I have to do is :checks notes: All the Topps Now Moments, plus all the Moments for the next two months and I'll be caught up! Well, except for finishing this month.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
What type of batting do you fine folks use? PCI, Directional, or Analogue?

I've just been rolling with directional and doing fine enough. But I've watched multiple Youtube tutorials on directional batting that literally all contradict each other. I was wondering how y'all got along with it.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

PCI is always going to be the high-end meta because it's just so much more skill heavy/meaningful. Directional is never gonna get you a .700 average but good enough placement with a PCI (theoretically) can.

directional is just way more RNG for not enough extra benefit once you learn PCI tbh. Analogue theoretically is even better, but it's not enough extra benefit over what you get from PCI for the complexity.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
PCI, it also feels soooooo good when you get good at it

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
There are few things as enraging as an impossible moment.

There is one on Rookie with Alex Manoah pitching to Mountcastle. You have to get three hits with one of them being a home run in four at bats. It says game, but it only gives you four at bats no matter what.

Manoah on Rookie is actually loving impossible. He still chucks fastballs at 95+. But he then throws off speed that is so slow and wonky it becomes brain breaking. Not to mention he will just suddenly start throwing balls until you either flail or walk, losing one of your four at bats.

God drat, I've probably put an hour into that moment by now over the course of two days. I just can't get it done.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I snagged a PS5

This late in the game, do I want to get the current version or wait for 22?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

we're still probably 6 months out from the next game's release, but it's not uncommon for them to have a sale sometime in the postseason, so see if that happens before you go pay full price imo

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
due to vacation and buying a boat i pretty much stopped playing after july 4th or so, but got a PS5 this week and have picked it up again.

goddamn PS5 is a huge difference. also good lord am i now far behind on...pretty much everything

Intruder posted:

I snagged a PS5

This late in the game, do I want to get the current version or wait for 22?

they'll keep putting out content all fall/winter. the playoff stuff is usually great. if you want to do DD type stuff you'll have a very competitive team very quickly also...like, getting the mantle and wagner cards this year would take maybe 30 minutes start to finish from scratch.

i'm sure the market is flooded with used disc versions right now, that'd be a good way to get in cheap.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Intruder if you start with Team Affinity 3 (the all-star game) you can get a pretty great team to start with in a hurry.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

What's different about the PS5 version? Every video I've seen it seems pretty similar except you have to play in ugly custom stadiums online.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

blossommirage posted:

What's different about the PS5 version? Every video I've seen it seems pretty similar except you have to play in ugly custom stadiums online.

On my Series X, 60 fps and high rez is nice. Hitting is easier (also I've improved at hitting, so a bit of placebo).

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bewbies posted:

i'm sure the market is flooded with used disc versions right now, that'd be a good way to get in cheap.

Sadly I have the digital version so full price or bust

I guess it's still like 7 months until the next one though so might as well?

Intruder fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 10, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
After playing a couple hours almost nightly, on this very night I have simultaneously -

- Finished all the Topps Now Moments. All. Of. Them.
- Finished all monthly progressions
- Finished all Team Affinity

I suddenly feel very aimless. I was just splitting half my time between moments and the other half Rookie conquest to smash through quests. I don't really have much interest in getting super sweaty with online PvP, either. I've also leveled up a create-a-player two way spark plug/slugger/filthy painter to diamond and won a World Series with him.

What's next? Just randomly leveling up rookie cards?

Side Note - I almost have a million stubs. Just buying cards feels like cheating, so the only stuff I've used stubs for is RTTS gear. Haven't bought any packs or players yet.

Edit - I've also earned seven or so Allstar Game White Packs. All but one of them have been a choice between 95 Hendricks or Bogarts. I feel beyond hosed by RNG, unless I'm missing something.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 11, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm no big fan of multiplayer anything but online DD is about as good as it gets in my experience. You just can't replicate the mind games etc you get with a human opponent. Plus there's relatively little stupidity as compared to most other online games.

If you're set against not giving PVP a try, just start the long grey line to doing all those collections. That'll keep you busy for months.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
I was intimidated by online for years but it is extremely fun.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Part of what put me off is the two games I played involved -

- Me somehow getting stuck with a roster of bronze and lower players, while my opponents were running diamond players.
- Both opponents rage quitting when I scored. I use directional batting because the PCI is way, way too sensitive to move around. Apparently, this angers people when they start losing to it.

If I could figure out why I wasn't able to use my rosters of pretty God damned good players, I'd give it another whirl.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

Part of what put me off is the two games I played involved -

- Me somehow getting stuck with a roster of bronze and lower players, while my opponents were running diamond players.
- Both opponents rage quitting when I scored. I use directional batting because the PCI is way, way too sensitive to move around. Apparently, this angers people when they start losing to it.

If I could figure out why I wasn't able to use my rosters of pretty God damned good players, I'd give it another whirl.

Can you record you trying to use your diamond players, like how you go into the game? We could probably tell pretty fast what you're doing wrong

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
yeah that is very strange. in any case with a million stubs you could pretty much put together a top of the line team at almost every position and go wreck new players for a while. it is very satisfying. I call it that miracle at the start of each season where your rating gets reset.

rage quitting is pretty standard though. in fact, I'm pretty okay with it in most cases, especially when you know you're playing someone far worse or far better than you. no need to waste everyone's time. a good courtesy to follow is to let the home run making you quit land before you quit, as sometimes those are tied to achievements or something.

it does make me wonder though what my hitters stats would be if we got to play out those games against worst pitching.

you definitely want to move to PCI hitting against good human players though. once you start trying to have to deal with degrom or Gibson on Hall of Fame in every goddamn game I'm not sure there's any viable way other than PCI.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 11, 2021

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm also not positive that your opponent can see whether you're even using directional or not?

Doesn't directional just sort of "pick" a PCI spot for you randomly? That's what it used to do back in the day

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Stefan Prodan posted:

Can you record you trying to use your diamond players, like how you go into the game? We could probably tell pretty fast what you're doing wrong

I'll give it a try and see what happens. It confused the gently caress out of me.

Stefan Prodan posted:

I'm also not positive that your opponent can see whether you're even using directional or not?

Doesn't directional just sort of "pick" a PCI spot for you randomly? That's what it used to do back in the day

Directional gives you less control, as you pick a direction and the rest is down to timing. The entire reason I dropped PCI was how loving sensitive it was. It felt like even looking at the control sticks would make the PCI suddenly rocket past the spot I needed.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

I'll give it a try and see what happens. It confused the gently caress out of me.

Directional gives you less control, as you pick a direction and the rest is down to timing. The entire reason I dropped PCI was how loving sensitive it was. It felt like even looking at the control sticks would make the PCI suddenly rocket past the spot I needed.

Yeah but like at least in the past I dunno if it still does, there is still a PCI internally, except with directional it's just random

That's why everyone is saying you're going to have to eventually use PCI, when the PCI gets real small directional just won't get you hits very often even if your timing is real good

And yeah it's very sensitive, that's why people get Kontrol Freekz or however that stupid poo poo is spelled, they actually do help a lot

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
edit: double posted somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah but like at least in the past I dunno if it still does, there is still a PCI internally, except with directional it's just random

That's why everyone is saying you're going to have to eventually use PCI, when the PCI gets real small directional just won't get you hits very often even if your timing is real good

And yeah it's very sensitive, that's why people get Kontrol Freekz or however that stupid poo poo is spelled, they actually do help a lot

I use a Series Two Elite controller, so I have different stick lengths and can tighten or loosen the sticks. But God drat, after a few days I noped right out of using PCI. Which is funny, because I've used it in other games without it being too big of a deal.

I just realized I've only done the Rookie to Diamond thing with Scherzer, Justin Turner, and Miggy Cabrera. I've got Ozzie Albies down to the last moment, but getting three hits in four at bats against whatever team it is has been loving impossible. No matter what the difficulty, it always feels like the fielding is run my robots with laser arms and cheetah reflexes.

Side Note - Moments on Rookie with a primarily off speed pitcher are harder than All Star difficulties. Trying to get good contact on balls going at a snail's pace while dropping a foot is infuriating.