Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I need to check this out, I remember Grace from Quintet and watching it did a lot to keep my SO interested in training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I kept hearing about New Wave Jiu Jitsu and seeing Giancarlo Bodoni representing the school, I didnt put two and two together to realize that thats the name of the new school that Danaher, Ryan and Tonon have started.

Whats interesting is during his matches, Danaher didn't really verbally coach him, just watched.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a New Wave Jiu Jitsu chain in Korea so now I'm gonna be doubly confused.

https://events.uaejjf.org/en/club/4643

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Went to a seminar with Sylvio Behring teaching. All I can say is do not doubt the things you can learn from an old school coral belt! Holy poo poo. The last time I got this many fundamental concepts that blew my mind was when I went to a seminar with JJ Machado.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Covid numbers here have tanked so my boy and I are gonna start going back to the gym next week. Stoked to get choked.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Went to a seminar with Sylvio Behring teaching. All I can say is do not doubt the things you can learn from an old school coral belt! Holy poo poo. The last time I got this many fundamental concepts that blew my mind was when I went to a seminar with JJ Machado.

drat can you give an example of one of the topics? This is the kind of jits that I'm interested in learning

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

drat can you give an example of one of the topics? This is the kind of jits that I'm interested in learning

Sure. There is a difference when being on the ground on the bottom between sport and self defense jiu jitsu. Normally in sport we keep our feet on the hips in an open guard position, this is fine for sport because it allows you to do things like balloon sweeps, sit up guard, de la riva, etc. But when the feet are the hips and your knees are bent in more toward your waist, the chances for you to be struck with a punch in a fight are greater. Now take you feet, move them a bit perpendicular and at the thighs. Your range is now greater, your ability to kick the knees is better, and your ability to create distance with the punch are better. We covered two situations from the feet on the hips/thighs which kind of apply to both sport and defense.

From a bottom position where you are on your back:

1. First concept - Your opponent pulls your ankles - When he pulls your ankles, you move your knees to your hips allowing you to scoot yourself closer to your opponents ankles, grab both ankles and do the sweep from the bottom that Im sure is one of the basics that is taught in many beginner classes. As you sweep, you put your own ankles under his armpits and then drive your hips forward with a leg bent once he is on his back to get to mount. He showed a really cool armbar setup from there that Im positive Ill add to my game. They usually push back and thats the arm you attack.
2. Second Concept - Your opponent takes your ankles and pins them to the floor - Hes dropped his posture allowing you to arm drag him to a side position and take the back.
There was a bit more he showed, from that position but it was a refresher for what I had already learned. Its some old school helio/gracie combatives type of stuff.

There is a choke from inside the closed guard he showed that he called "masa pano" (knead the bread), that I havent seen before taught. Its this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xezkU_h8cSU

In that video he shows the bottom guy doing the choke, but the top guy can do it too and its highly effective when the user gets to his feet and is still in the closed guard.

Im almost positive its this one that I just saw recently:

https://jiujitsutimes.com/master-3-black-belt-puts-opponent-to-sleep-with-a-choke-from-inside-the-guard-at-austin-open/

He showed the defense, which was pretty ingenious. Look away from the choke and with the opposite hand grab your own lapel and then turn your body back in toward your opponent. I tried to hold the choke and I couldnt when I was training with my partner.

Anyway, yep, basics...they loving work.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xezkU_h8cSU

In that video he shows the bottom guy doing the choke, but the top guy can do it too and its highly effective when the user gets to his feet and is still in the closed guard.

I use the closed guard opening technique here occasionally, although only towards a last resort and with people that I am familiar with since it's a little harsh.

Something he didn't mention though which may not be totally obvious is the guy opening the guard can very rapidly armbar you. The second I feel the legs break, I always immediately bring my elbows in/to the knees and start to pass, no hesitation.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Neon Belly posted:

I use the closed guard opening technique here occasionally, although only towards a last resort and with people that I am familiar with since it's a little harsh.

Something he didn't mention though which may not be totally obvious is the guy opening the guard can very rapidly armbar you. The second I feel the legs break, I always immediately bring my elbows in/to the knees and start to pass, no hesitation.

Im wary of it as well because of that reason. But I can tell you that the break kneading choke comes on very fast and you can pass out pretty quick unless you act quick.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

first day back to the mats after my second covid break and they were teaching various leg locks, entanglements, heel hooks, and toe holds. those were all a first for me. i'm convinced that 90% of them are just mean spirited. nobody lost a knee today, though.

Mr Gorgon Holmes
Aug 1, 2007
Ask me about being possesed by the spirit of John Holmes
My professor hit me up to help him instruct the kids last night. His most recent blue belt bailed on him and his female blue belt got pregnant and me I am just there because my boys have class.

I’m a bit apprehensive, but I guess in the long run the best way to get good at fundamentals is drilling them over and over kids class will hopefully help that.

I just worry about unruly children going nuts and me being unable to handle it as the professor is quite often distracted by other things. Any thoughts or ideas?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I help teach a kids class, so I'm specifically in that same postion of not actually being in charge of the class.

My advice would mostly be about being consistent in what you say or do, asking them to help or participate without either yelling or begging, and praising them consistently but not extravagantly.

If they get nuts we normally make them run laps, but that doesn't happen too often. Oh, we let them play Jiujitsu-ish games before settling into the adult style lesson plan. I actually really wish the adult class had games.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Mr Gorgon Holmes posted:

My professor hit me up to help him instruct the kids last night.

What age? The pedagogy of teaching children varies wildly on age, young teens can handle much more technical teaching than kindergarten age children. I wouldn't worry too much about teaching them jujitsu to start with. You know how even adults get bored of doing endless drilling or the same clothes guard armbars or whatever? Kids are going to do that times 10. When I teach kids my number one priority is teaching them general body control and movement, and trying to do it in ways that apply to jujitsu. So we do things like sumo pushouts, leap frog, rolling, tumbling, tie a sock in their belt and try to pull it out. Back riding as a game with very little focus on getting the sub. With a more advanced kids class or older kids you can start teaching one or two subs a class, and then make it a positional game to get them to try and use them. Some kids like to wrestle, some kids hate it but their parents make them anyway, I want both groups to be able to take something away from the class. Even if what the second group takes away is just basic physical development, wrestling and gymnastics are fantastic sources of base physical development in youth athletes.

Keep them moving as much as possible, teach in short bursts and then back to moving. 1 2 3 eyes on me, (repeat back 1 2 3 eyes on you). Most of the Battle is just maintaining attention and keeping it fun. Oh, and there will be plenty of fairness disagreements. If I didn't see it I just make em rock paper scissors.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

edit: maybe this doesnt belong here...

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 18, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Edit: wrong thread

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 13, 2021

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Yesterday was my first day back since my knee tore. It's scary, I'm in a new place at a new gym too so even scarier. But I am happy to be back. Technically the doctor cleared me to train two weeks ago, but I've been so in my own head about getting reinjured that I had been putting it off. The warmups at this new place were very intense, they reminded me of like my old high school wrestling warmups or college judo warmups. We must have done 300 crunches before class started. It just felt very collegiate.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Jack B Nimble posted:

I mean, isn't it commonly understood that the referee's count to ten is a relative tool that helps the referee decide if the fighter can or can't continue, not a literal 10 second window? Referees count slow or fast all the time and it isn't always controversial.

I can't say I disagree, but you're posting in the grappling thread.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Brut posted:

I can't say I disagree, but you're posting in the grappling thread.

Whoops, and here I thought the internet had eaten the post, thanks.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
thought you were talking about the count to secure a position and that can seem to really vary. ..

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
It doesn't vary if you talk to the ref in Portuguese beforehand. Invisible Jiu Jitsu.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

FiestaDePantalones posted:

It doesn't vary if you talk to the ref in Portuguese beforehand. Invisible Jiu Jitsu.

real talk. My name and appearance can pass for brazilian so for my first tournament, the semi-responsible assistant coach taught me like 3 phrases in Portuguese and told me to otherwise stay silent.

I don't think it ever mattered but, lol those were the days.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

i think i'm going to get to train 3x a week instead of just two; monday morning, late tuesday evening, and then wednesday morning.

what could i be doing on thursday and friday to both get some exercise and improve my bjj? my whole exercise routine has gone to heck since i've been going back to the gym so i need to get some structure. something i can do at home. i thought maybe i could go back to kettlebells or dumbbells on thu+fri but i might have to split it into legs one day and upper body the next day? also thought about either getting a simple exercise bike or one of those stands to drop one of my bikes into since it's gonna get cold in a couple months.

i'm also considering doing some exercise bands daily to help with fatigue and mobility a bit and maybe help with strength. i already do light yoga every morning but an afternoon session with the bands might be nice without overdoing things.

i'd also like to have some sort of discipline with regards to instructional vids. anyone have a solid way of tackling those? maybe just schedule a block of time on certain days like it was a class or something?

knuthgrush fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 18, 2021

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I'll give the mostly unpopular suggestion of running. It's cheap and easy, and most of us don't actually have the discipline to keep up a home workout routine for even an entire single workout, much less stick with it. Here's my thoughts on the benefits: if my body is exhausted during training then my brain is also, and that means less efficient training, if only from a memorization/recall pov. I want to maximize my training time and good cardio helps me not get tired during drilling or sparring. Plus it feels good to be several minutes deep into a hard roll and feel your opponent taking big whooping breaths while you still have lots to give. Or the round ends and you jump up to grab your next opponent while your previous one lies in a puddle until they have enough strength to crawl to the wall.

Strength training I think is great for injury prevention and competition preparation but for me at least it can get a little bit in the way of my skill progression.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

why not just train 5 days a week?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
At my urging, next tuesday we're going to put on thrift store clothes over our no gi and go nuts in street clothes. Any suggestions for something unusual to wear?

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

why not just train 5 days a week?

gym only has three days a week i can do bjj. the rest is kickboxing (meh). also, my schedule doesn't allow it. also, the other gym i could train at is yet another subscription so i'll probably grab the odd private lesson from them when i have extra cash.

i think i might just train MTW and lift weights MWF and call it good. cardio when i can. i sporadically ride a bmx bike or a big cruiser around so that should be sufficient until it gets cold maybe.

not looking to compete, just looking to have more learning opportunities and get old man strong.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

At my urging, next tuesday we're going to put on thrift store clothes over our no gi and go nuts in street clothes. Any suggestions for something unusual to wear?

a cotton kimono, baggy pants and some sort of cloth belt

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Do yoga. You'd be surprised at the overlap.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Marching Powder posted:

Do yoga. You'd be surprised at the overlap.

assuming that was directed at me, i do yoga every morning. it most assuredly helps. also there's a few good yoga videos in the grappler's guide. really enjoyed those.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

knuthgrush posted:

i think i'm going to get to train 3x a week instead of just two; monday morning, late tuesday evening, and then wednesday morning.

what could i be doing on thursday and friday to both get some exercise and improve my bjj? my whole exercise routine has gone to heck since i've been going back to the gym so i need to get some structure. something i can do at home. i thought maybe i could go back to kettlebells or dumbbells on thu+fri but i might have to split it into legs one day and upper body the next day? also thought about either getting a simple exercise bike or one of those stands to drop one of my bikes into since it's gonna get cold in a couple months.

i'm also considering doing some exercise bands daily to help with fatigue and mobility a bit and maybe help with strength. i already do light yoga every morning but an afternoon session with the bands might be nice without overdoing things.

i'd also like to have some sort of discipline with regards to instructional vids. anyone have a solid way of tackling those? maybe just schedule a block of time on certain days like it was a class or something?

If you aren't able to just train more. I think running and weight lifting are obvious compliments to grappling. RE: instructional videos, I think the best way is to grab a friend and bring a laptop and go through one technique or sequence until it clicks. If you don't have anyone, I say focus on like one or two things and try to do them live the next day. I think there is a lot to gain from rewatching videos, and I don't have the patience to go through the same hour + long video a few times a week, but I do have the patience to go through one or two techniques from a video a few times a week.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

gay for gacha posted:

If you aren't able to just train more. I think running and weight lifting are obvious compliments to grappling. RE: instructional videos, I think the best way is to grab a friend and bring a laptop and go through one technique or sequence until it clicks. If you don't have anyone, I say focus on like one or two things and try to do them live the next day. I think there is a lot to gain from rewatching videos, and I don't have the patience to go through the same hour + long video a few times a week, but I do have the patience to go through one or two techniques from a video a few times a week.

a friend? :(

but seriously, my friends are either too sedentary or two physically damaged for martial arts.

i like the idea of focusing on a technique for a bit and dragging it to class. i'll definitely try that.

my first nogi class is tonight. been doing the pajama party this whole time so i'm ready to feel like an even bigger failure than i already do.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Nogi will require a different set of skills, primarily around the grips, wedges and transitions you make. A lot of the same concepts should be familiar though as you go through your Nogi training. I personally find Nogi more fun than the Gi, but also a bit more challenging.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
If you're somewhat new to grappling I'd watch instruction videos for the purpose of discovering all the things that are possible from all the various positions. I think for a new person knowing "from this position, there's an armbar" is more useful than focusing on a dozen minute details of said armbar.

I also enjoy no-gi more, and feel like it makes me a better grappler than gi-grappling does.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
The blocks, wedges, and frames you learn from no gi will make your gi pressure and space creation waaaaaay better. There's definitely a learning curve, but I find it extremely satisfying going back to gi and shutting down someone 40 pounds heavier than me from top side and hearing "you were so heavy!" when all I was doing was using good wedges and recovering my breathing.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

the hope is that the differences in nogi will improve my yesgi game for sure. i probably would've taken another yesgi class instead if that was available but i think this will be good for me.

thanks for the info, folks.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
No-gi is a lot of fun. I enjoy it more than yes-gi just because my gym is mostly yes-gi, and the change of pace is nice. My advice would be to learn how to do a good collar tie and focus on wrist control.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

well, nogi happened and i got absolutely wrecked. it's like bjj in baby oil. my neck hurts like heck and my wrists look like i've been in cuffs. i think somebody hit me with a lead pipe on my upper right thigh but i can't be sure. my big toe is bleeding from i'm not sure where and it also looks like i got a mess of hickeys. my jiujitsu is obviously trash, i know nothing. i'm going back next week for sure. questioning if i'll go to yesgi in the morning as bad as i got beat up but i hope to. this night class was predominantly younger mma fighters and the energy was waaaaayyy different than the old people morning yesgi class i typically attend twice a week.

:negative:

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

knuthgrush posted:

well, nogi happened and i got absolutely wrecked. it's like bjj in baby oil. my neck hurts like heck and my wrists look like i've been in cuffs. i think somebody hit me with a lead pipe on my upper right thigh but i can't be sure. my big toe is bleeding from i'm not sure where and it also looks like i got a mess of hickeys. my jiujitsu is obviously trash, i know nothing. i'm going back next week for sure. questioning if i'll go to yesgi in the morning as bad as i got beat up but i hope to. this night class was predominantly younger mma fighters and the energy was waaaaayyy different than the old people morning yesgi class i typically attend twice a week.

I just moved to a place that only offers no gi twice a week so I just started training yesgi, but before this, I exclusively did nogi since 2016. I think you captured it, there is this energy and, at least for me, it's very addictive. It's faster pace, it reminds me of high school wrestling. It's just awesome, and it's slippery. I think you should go to nogi, I think it will make your bjj more well rounded, and will make you work a little harder because the matches are usually a bit faster paced, then when you go to yesgi the other time in the week you can blast people away with your new pressure skills, and arm drags.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

knuthgrush posted:

This is an awesome post.

quote:

my neck hurts like heck

It's a little different when opponents break your posture by grabbing your head instead of your lapel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Rolling with young MMA fighters is great because you'll eventually get a little of that toughness and intensity yourself, or at least become more able to deal with it.