Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I'm kinda glad that they're making her captain because they were going to make all the plots about her anyway and that works much better if she's captain, but I do wish they'd guided her there better.

What? She's got, like, on the classic model captain track, they'd use her as an example in the academy if it weren't for the whole "existence stricken from history" thing.

daddy asks friend to give daughter good job --> rise in ranks --> mutiny over plan to attack klingons --> sentenced to life imprisonment -> evade prison by being recruited by evil doppelganger captain --> kill captain --> stop war by giving enemy a bomb --> use time travel to run away from a computer --> become a space delivery driver --> ignore direct orders when getting back into starfleet --> real captain needs a mental health break so poo poo-eating admiral promotes her to captain.

what more could you ask for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Yeah Picard and Disco seem to be the most similar, and I see a reason for one, but not both. With Lower Decks, SNW, Prodigy, and Disco, you have quite a bit of Star Treck but aiming for very different tones, which is smart if you want to avoid fan burn out. I think there trying to make Picard the more thoughtful prime time continuity Star Trek and Disco the more action Hollywood prime time continuity Star Trek but, yeah that didn't really work out that way.

Does makes sense though. Picard just, you know needed to actually be written like that. All the pre-press made it seem like that was there aim though.

Yeah, Picard needed to be a more ponderous show about the man facing the end of his life and having his big failures come back to haunt him one last time before the end, and instead it's just weird dumb action with faint glimmers of the aforementioned premise peeking in every now and then before they're brushed aside for more dumb action.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/TheKateMulgrew/status/1447348534022492160

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I Am Fowl posted:

Do you think Riker was watching the episode where Tucker got pregnant too or was it just the last episode?

Lower Decks has confirmed in canon that Riker likes to just watch old episodes of Enterprise on the holodeck.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I Am Fowl posted:

Do you think Riker was watching the episode where Tucker got pregnant too or was it just the last episode?

Computer, make the de-con gel scenes 20% hornier. No, 30%.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The decon gel scenes are simultaneously horny and completely un-horny through sheer awkwardness and dumbness.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Bloop posted:

Computer, make the de-con gel scenes 20% hornier. No, 30%.

Safety protocols will be deactivated. Proceed?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If there had been any joy in making Enterprise then there would have been a scene where Phlox yells at the decon inmates "It puts the lotion on its body!"

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Just watched the ENT episode where T'Pol falls boobs first onto Archer's face. Nice to see Trek taking tips from anime. =)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
was that the episode whedon directed?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm all for that. That clip looked pretty drat good.

I was 100% ready to poo poo all over Star Trek Prodigy just for the name.

But after watching that, I think they might be able to take the show to some interesting places.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I figure Prodigy might be pretty good but also Not For Me, and that's fine imo. I'll give it a watch, but just having a high quality kids-focused Trek series is cool enough on its own.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gnome de plume posted:

Probably has holo-janeway safeties put in place
There would have to be able least one episode where she malfunctions and endangers everyone's lives, it's like, in the rules.

Holoway cutting through the bridge door with a space axe, screaming, "Here's Janey!"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I figure Prodigy might be pretty good but also Not For Me, and that's fine imo. I'll give it a watch, but just having a high quality kids-focused Trek series is cool enough on its own.

This is how I feel about it. I've seen nothing that interests me, but it's a kid's cartoon so whatever. If I want cartoon Trek I have Lower Decks.

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

SlothfulCobra posted:

No I mean in real-world time, everything in ENT got designed after TNG and they only came up with the Vulcan design after discarding the rules they had in earlier shows.

McQuarrie drew some really wild stuff, so it's a pretty fertile ground if you need some extra ideas, although there's also a sort of cowardly aspect where if you steal a design from concept art, you can sort of make a bold design decision but just kinda hide behind the fact that it's somebody else's earlier design decision and using their credibility instead of your own.

But aside from that, probably more species should have some kind of variability in their alien aspects, that seems fine. Not something big like "oh this one subrace has like a scorpion tail that squirts acid" but just some aesthetic differences.

Vulcan ships had rings in TNG.....

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aeolusdallas posted:

Vulcan ships had rings in TNG.....

where

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
While this thread is in the Discovery bitch-out phase of its lifecycle, I wanna chime in with two things -

I'm disappointed that Burnham is captain. I thought Saru was a really interesting choice that felt quintessentially Star Trek - a lot of his attributes would normally be seen as undesirable (tendancy to shirk from danger, overly cautious, etc) but his colleagues understand that those are just parts of his physiology and evolutionary psychology and so they get embraced as assets. Honestly, Saru felt like the most Star Trek aspect of Discovery - at least until it undermined himself by having his whole plotline be about how he's not actually like that and can ascend to a more brave and conventionally heroic being due to some secret about his species.

Another way that series felt like it came so close to really understanding itself and then missed was that moment in season 2 where the universal translator malfunctions. At first I thought it was doing something genuniely cool, which was having all the characters revert to their given untranslated languages, and it was really exciting to think that this crew would normally be speaking Arabic, Klingon, Italian, Welsh, German etc etc etc - but no. Instead all that was happening was that the UT was translating their speech into an assortment of random languages, implying that everyone in the crew just speaks english and are mostly American. So close!

I've still enjoyed a lot of Discovery. I thought the last season had way too many emotional heartfelt speeches about duty or ideals or whatever. Like, multiple times per episode. There were moments of season 2 that felt genuinely great. It has such a good cast, and potentially interesting characters, and it's always so close to greatness. I do wonder if the alt-right chud trek aspect of the criticism has just drowned out any of the more nuanced criticism and caused them to double down on everything.

edit: I mean Lower Decks and its largely positive reception has hopefully proved that Star Trek is at its best when the stakes are a little lower, and the plotlines are a bit more relateable as a result. It kind of makes me think of the whole Best of Both Worlds thing, where even though there's the whole big flashy Borg showdown and Picard stuff, the real meat of the episode is Riker trying to figure out his career.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 11, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vulcan transports, TNG

Redressed and modified to Vulcan freighter in DS9, which... huh, red, never realised that was that early. And the triangle on the bottom of the ring resembles the ones on the side of the Vulcan ship in lower decks.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 11, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I admit I'm mainly going to watch Discovery to see how many episodes we get into this season before the show betrays its own concept.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Vulcan transports, TNG

Redressed and modified to Vulcan freighter in DS9, which... huh, red, never realised that was that early. And the triangle on the bottom of the ring resembles the ones on the side of the Vulcan ship in lower decks.

Oh yeah those, and sure that's definitely a ring but way different than the sleek circles and pointy seashell designs that came later

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I feel like most science fiction TV has a solid vision and a flawed execution. Discovery and Picard are perfectly executed TV shows where the people in charge have no vision for what they are making. No amount of budget or extra time, special effects technology etc. would solve the problem that those two shows have.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah those TNG ship designs are really more hinting at cultural commonality with the Romulan Warbird design (which also makes sense given the story they are from).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ok but the LDS Vulcan ship looks really cool though

e: the bit where it warps in to shield the Cerritos got me every bit as pumped as the Titan showing up last season

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Oh yeah those, and sure that's definitely a ring but way different than the sleek circles and pointy seashell designs that came later

Mmm, but they still broke the nacelle rule and were using what sternbach called 'annular warp drives', a term that then got picked up on Enterprise for the Vulcan ships.

Actually while it has the general shape of the ENT ships, the body of the one from lower decks is a lot more angular than those ENT ships with plenty of flat planes, reflecting the TNG ships a bit. They do their research on LDS.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 11, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I know some people get annoyed with nitpicky turbonerd focus on canon, continuity, consistency, and etc, but man it helps make worlds feel real

There are clearly so many design elements that have been thought deeply about and it is part of what makes lower decks feel good and disco feel bad

poo poo, the goddamn Orville feels more like a starfleet ship and crew than anything we've seen on discovery

All the change for the sake of change makes it feel like a Syfy knockoff

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I want a companion animated series to Lower Decks that's just a voice actor's hangout for the rest of the Trek alum that still wanna play their characters. Let Michael Dorn captain his Super Enterprise D 2000 or whatever and have Geordi teaching young engineers the joy of warp cores and O'Brien must suffer.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The great thing about the Orville is that it's yet another show that demonstrates that you can make the most obviously cheap-as-chips starship sets imaginable and as long as the cast have characters and scripts that they can sell to the audience then it absolutely does not matter.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Chakotay as captain is a pretty huge step forward for representation. There really havent been enough Mexican-american pretending to be native american actors in leadership positions on television.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

The great thing about the Orville is that it's yet another show that demonstrates that you can make the most obviously cheap-as-chips starship sets imaginable and as long as the cast have characters and scripts that they can sell to the audience then it absolutely does not matter.

I think that's an area where it sneaking in the door as comedy before doing an earnest Trek tribute did it some favors. "Space sitcom looks cheap so what" carries through at the start and by the time it's doing serious and involved storytelling you're used to it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe if they wrote a character that was very emphatically and energetically nothing like O'Brien, they could bait Colm Meaney back in with the prospect of acting a new performance instead of just retreading old ground for nostalgia's sake.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

Another way that series felt like it came so close to really understanding itself and then missed was that moment in season 2 where the universal translator malfunctions. At first I thought it was doing something genuniely cool, which was having all the characters revert to their given untranslated languages, and it was really exciting to think that this crew would normally be speaking Arabic, Klingon, Italian, Welsh, German etc etc etc - but no. Instead all that was happening was that the UT was translating their speech into an assortment of random languages, implying that everyone in the crew just speaks english and are mostly American. So close!
I somehow remember this scene as it not translating at all and people using their native languages. It was just translating into random other languages?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Strange New Worlds has wrapped on filming Season 1.

https://twitter.com/startrek/status/1447653234969956352

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I still can’t believe vocal fan support willed an entire Star Trek series into existence. And I know I shouldn’t get my hopes up, but…dammit I’m kinda really exited to have more Pike, Number One, and of course…

:spock:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Anson Mount seems like a great person and I am very hopeful for this show. His stint was easily the best part of Discovery.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Do basically if I want anything that continues roughly where DS9 stopped I've got Lower Decks and novels?

The Picard show is off in its own world it feels like. Though I recognize is probably closest to what I want. I kind of want new people though as much as I love Patrick Stewart and the gang.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zurtilik posted:

Do basically if I want anything that continues roughly where DS9 stopped I've got Lower Decks and novels?

And Prodigy

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hope springs eternal that this time the live action show will be Trek.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HD DAD posted:

I still can’t believe vocal fan support willed an entire Star Trek series into existence.

Tinkerbell was right. Well I'll be damned.

Really feel bad for mocking all those kindergarten kids now for being gullible idiots. :(

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The continued fan debate over what arbitrarily does or does not count as Trek is so tiring. It’s all Trek, even the bad parts.

Especially the bad parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I can't wait for fifteen years from now when people stop complaining that Discovery isn't "Trek", as has happened to literally every other show in the series that people didn't like or, to be real, as has happened to literally every other installment in a media franchise that people didn't like.