Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

They also have people holding dogs and one of them isn’t Cecily, it’s absurd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Kim K did well. who knows what happeneed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcm3dbuV8Z4

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

What the gently caress, they have the actual Lindsey Buckingham in the studio and no What Up with That?

we could have had a "slightly better than average SNL" instead of what we got tonight which was just, "ugh, coulda been worse i guess"

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
You can see Higgins and his boys doing a heartwarming bit in this Tonight at Home segment from March 30 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5nvGZYs1SM
(starts at 4:49)

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
SNl sure has a history. Great living every minute of it.

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 10, 2021

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

That was really really bad

Also if you have HBO max watch Halsey film she did for new album. Its phenomenal

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Sivart13 posted:

Lot of hate for Kim K out there, I'm sure it will be medium-fine like most episodes.
this was wrong and I feel wrong

I did like the Trent Reznor song and those young lads with the seltzer though

pwn
May 27, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

That was really really bad

Also if you have HBO max watch Halsey film she did for new album. Its phenomenal

Thanks I will. It’s called If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power if anyone’s trying to find it.

Hopefully this cut for time bit was better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BBQd63vGqw

There was a commercial pretape cut after dress called “Password Protectors,” not uploaded to YT but maybe it’ll get on a future episode. Unless KKW was in it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I missed the first half because the baby woke up, but Halsey coming out again with one of my favorite SNL performances!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwiasA-IGCs

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Better than I expected considering the host, but that bar was on the ground. She was only funny in the lotto sketch where it helped that she looks and sounds like a robot. They did way way way too many Kardashian TV in-jokes that I have no desire to understand, and not seeing most of the cast in favor of random celebrities isn't very fun either (though can John Cena host please?). Those seltzer boys are funny though, seems like they were inspired by the old digital shorts and I bet they were hired because of that. Halsey kicked rear end as well, definitely better than the average musical guest.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Should’ve just had her do the monologue and then go home as that was the only highlight of her hosting really, it was surprisingly enjoyable. Cecile doing the lotto thing too opposite her just felt cruel. The stunt casting was weird because surely you already had all the eyeballs you wanted, and it just showed the Kardashian family as being as lame as you expect to the people who don’t watch their shows.

I agree with the lack of Conner as Aidy’s husband, and no Lil Baby Aidy in the music vid is unforgivable.

Weekend went hard, I’m in for more LSD dosed movie reviews.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

EL BROMANCE posted:

Weekend went hard, I’m in for more LSD dosed movie reviews.

The only thing that made me laugh.

Finding out the hard seltzer people are writers (and thanks to nepotism to boot) explains everything.

Welp, it's been...really mediocre to be honest... adios SNL.

I hope someday someone lets kenan out of the locked room they force him into between shows

Good luck to everyone still watching this, you are all troopers and I will tell your story

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 10, 2021

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
See you next week? Don't hurt yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGv6uo89yMY

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Zeluth posted:

See you next week?

My imagined sense of duty mixed with a large helping of self-loathing and masochism is already kinda full keeping up with 33 (37? 120?) years of the simpsons

And let's be honest, anything actually funny gets highlighted in the news* on sunday anyway. This was the first time in a long time I couldn't even make it through most of the sketches and rode that FF button hard.

This one broke me

*clickbait sites/social media feeds/once great institutions of journalism now also click bait sites like time, etc

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

zer0spunk posted:

This one broke me

Same here. I've watched SNL since the late 80s and lately it's been dire. That seltzer sketch had me laughing, but that's it. Just put those guy's in charge and fire almost everyone else.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

zer0spunk posted:

This was the first time in a long time I couldn't even make it through most of the sketches and rode that FF button hard.
I also was relying on fast-forward to get through the People's Kourt and Dream Guy sketches, but I think those were a special case of bad host + too many cameos that doesn't come around too often, you usually only get one of those at a time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

That wasn’t nearly as bad as I was expecting. I really dug the news sketch, and the seltzer bit. More of that off the wall-ness please.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
while this episode isn't good, it wasn't special SNL bad. Some of you forget that weird era transitioning to Will Ferrell or the years after Tina Fey.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Mooseontheloose posted:

while this episode isn't good, it wasn't special SNL bad. Some of you forget that weird era transitioning to Will Ferrell or the years after Tina Fey.

Kim Kardashian wanted to be funny and was willing to take shots at herself and her family, which was cool. It wasn't like a Paris Hilton who took herself way too seriously.

But overall the material just wasn't great

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, I'm up to Weekend Update now and I think at worst it's been goofy fun. They haven't asked her to do much and have surrounded her with weird stuff, which is probably the best call, because it's been okay!

Alex's Sandy Kenyon character on Update is sensational and very much a "very few people outside NYC will embrace this."

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

Kim Kardashian wanted to be funny and was willing to take shots at herself and her family, which was cool. It wasn't like a Paris Hilton who took herself way too seriously.

But overall the material just wasn't great

i liked the dating skit if only for the one line of THIS IS CRAP to John Cena.

edit: that being said, Lorne should of let go a lot of cast members this year. I love Cecily Strong and Kate McKinnon and Aidy Bryant but the one skit they MAYBE in a week isn't helping anyone. Jost and Che while better still kinda suck and you need to modernize the writing staff. Like, there hasn't been a major shake up in a decade in SNL?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, feels like they need a shake-up and to get weird with it, it's all way too safe, every joke has kids gloves on and then sometimes they act spicy about but it's just ranch.I hadn't noticed the biglyness of the cast till it was pointed out, but yeah, that's really apparent in hindsight with how little you see any given person in an episode. This one especially, between the ocean of who gives a poo poo cameos, and really seems like they were angling to stuff Kim into every sketch they could.

There's still a lot of old members I like but at this point I'd be excited for them to be cut or move on, if nothing else there tend to be something new they try afterwards, and the really good ones go on to a point where you forgot they were snl regulars at some point.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I have 3 big gripes with contemporary SNL:

1. Ignoring the premise of a sketch that makes it funny. The Peoples Kourt, as a premise, had some humor potential - KKW presiding over a series of quick, goofy redneck cases could've been funny. But the skit as presented relied on the setup in only the flimsiest sense (I.e., they could've injected those "jokes" into just about any other skit)

2. Refusal to play characters straight. The LSD movie review bit was pretty good, but it would've been a lot better without the GET IT, IM ON LSD!! bit. Jost and Che are particularly guilty of this during WU. Compare their newscaster characters to those in the lottery skit, where they played them straight, and how great that segment was.

3. Every drat cold opening is a political sketch. They're never good. Do. Something. Else.

Consider the 2 best sketches of the night - the lottery bit and the seltzer guys. What did these have in common? They stuck to the humour premise and the characters were all played straight.

Cyril Sneer fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 11, 2021

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Khanstant posted:

There's still a lot of old members I like but at this point I'd be excited for them to be cut or move on, if nothing else there tend to be something new they try afterwards, and the really good ones go on to a point where you forgot they were snl regulars at some point.

I think you have a solid core with yang, garnder, villasenor, and finnegan but they can't get the time they need because everyone else is blocking them.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Cyril Sneer posted:

2. Refusal to play characters straight. The LSD movie review bit was pretty good, but it would've been a lot better without the GET IT, IM ON LSD!! bit. Jost and Che are particularly guilty of this during WU. Compare their newscaster characters to those in the lottery skit, where they played them straight, and how great that segment was.

This is probably my biggest complaint about the show as it presently is, and the one thing that, if changed, would immediately improve it a ton. It’s almost wholly crystallized in Mikey Day, who I think is a huge suck on the show. He’s obviously a prolific writer, which is why he’s in half the sketches, but his goony and never-ending explanations of every premise is just comedy poison.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Dracula Factory posted:

Better than I expected considering the host, but that bar was on the ground. She was only funny in the lotto sketch where it helped that she looks and sounds like a robot. They did way way way too many Kardashian TV in-jokes that I have no desire to understand, and not seeing most of the cast in favor of random celebrities isn't very fun either (though can John Cena host please?). Those seltzer boys are funny though, seems like they were inspired by the old digital shorts and I bet they were hired because of that. Halsey kicked rear end as well, definitely better than the average musical guest.

Cena hosted in 2016. I can't remember how it went.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

That wasn’t nearly as bad as I was expecting. I really dug the news sketch, and the seltzer bit. More of that off the wall-ness please.

This is pretty much my reaction as well.

I was expecting awful.

Instead, I got... something?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cyril Sneer posted:

3. Every drat cold opening is a political sketch. They're never good. Do. Something. Else.

Consider the 2 best sketches of the night - the lottery bit and the seltzer guys. What did these have in common? They stuck to the humour premise and the characters were all played straight.

All of this. I think it might be why commercials always hit so well. They’re played straight!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My mom linked me to the "we're in our 30s and we want to party but we're too tired" video and I :lol:ed.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

All of this. I think it might be why commercials always hit so well. They’re played straight!

It is all of that. I hate the opening sketches. They are just never funny. Why open your comedy show without comedy? The team that writes the political openings clearly have nothing left to say. They seem tired.

Also, I was just saying 2 weeks ago that I missed when they did fake commercials right after the monologue. Nice to see the seltzer one, but throw that poo poo more towards the start.

Seriously, SNL needs to clean house of a lot of writers/performers which is something I've never said watching the show (even in the transition years).

pwn
May 27, 2004

They just hired ten writers. Every year, for as long as I can remember talking about the show online (from the alt.tv.snl newsgroup in the 90s to here,) there are people who call for the show to clean house, if not just die already. And for ~25 years I have reminded people that the show has only “cleaned house” when it was on the precipice of cancelation. The last of these cycles, which culminated in the 1995 purge, was a miserable time in Lorne’s life; Conan’s first couple years at Late Night (which he produced after convincing NBC to gamble on him taking over the franchise) had been very rocky, those same years SNL was seeing a decline, and Lorne had personal troubles on top of all that. Since coming out of that traumatic time he has done everything possible to avoid big shakeups by gradually cycling out performers and writers. Lorne will never have a big shake up again. You can accept this and enjoy the show or gnash dem teeth and get yourself worked up, your choice. Or just peace out on the show

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The show is almost an artifact, at this point. It is such a cultural icon of both NYC and American culture in general that I don’t think it will ever die while Lorne is around...

And Kenan seems to have positioned himself as this century’s Eddie Murphy, so I imagine the show will be fine even after Lorne retires or passes.

I do wish they would stop outing the jokes, but I think that ask may be a bridge too far after 20 years of the practice...

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

pwn posted:

They just hired ten writers. Every year, for as long as I can remember talking about the show online (from the alt.tv.snl newsgroup in the 90s to here,) there are people who call for the show to clean house, if not just die already. And for ~25 years I have reminded people that the show has only “cleaned house” when it was on the precipice of cancelation. The last of these cycles, which culminated in the 1995 purge, was a miserable time in Lorne’s life; Conan’s first couple years at Late Night (which he produced after convincing NBC to gamble on him taking over the franchise) had been very rocky, those same years SNL was seeing a decline, and Lorne had personal troubles on top of all that. Since coming out of that traumatic time he has done everything possible to avoid big shakeups by gradually cycling out performers and writers. Lorne will never have a big shake up again. You can accept this and enjoy the show or gnash dem teeth and get yourself worked up, your choice. Or just peace out on the show

I mean, this not the worst SNL has been but it feels bloated. I am not saying fire everyone like in the mid 80s but a little bit of change might not be a bad thing.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

All good points. I do think that next season's likely to be a big "shakeup" season, though - I mean, you've got up to 10 cast members who could plausibly leave at the end of this season.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean, this not the worst SNL has been but it feels bloated. I am not saying fire everyone like in the mid 80s but a little bit of change might not be a bad thing.

I suspect the bloated cast is Lorne's way of trying to avoid having a complete cast turnover - keep the old cast around a bit longer so that the transition to the newer cast members feels a bit smoother.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Has Kate appeared yet this season? I don't remember last week's much, but I can't recall her in the Kim K episode. They even replaced her as Lindsey Graham.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Seems like one of the issues is there's increasingly nowhere for a cast member to "go" after SNL, assuming the criteria is "something bigger & better". Feels like Kate, Cicely, Melissa and others have been on the verge of leaving for several years now. Kate's movie career has been a non-starter so far in particular and big studio comedies are largely dead in general. Aidy starred in a critically successful show for 3 seasons but that's over and she's back in the cast again. Melissa at least has a solid stand-up and general artist career going. And those are the "stars" ... what is Mikey Day or Alex Moffat going to do if they leave?

Laterite fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 11, 2021

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

It’s crazy how little charisma Kim Kardashian has. For me the best sketch of the night was the short where she and Aidy Bryant swap lives. The jokes written for her opening monologue were pretty good, but Kim just plowed through them like she was ordering from a drive through.

The rawr XD randomness of the lottery sketch was really annoying, and pairing Kim with a completely deadpan Cecily was a weird decision. For as dire as it was, and it was dire, the Aladdin sketch might have been the best of the night for me.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Laterite posted:

Seems like one of the issues is there's increasingly nowhere for a cast member to "go" after SNL, assuming the criteria is "something bigger & better". Feels like Kate, Cicely, Melissa and others have been on the verge of leaving for several years now. Kate's movie career has been a non-starter so far in particular and big studio comedies are largely dead in general. Aidy starred in a critically successful show for 3 seasons but that's over and she's back in the cast again. Melissa at least has a solid stand-up and general artist career going. And those are the "stars" ... what is Mikey Day or Alex Moffat going to do if they leave?

Good point.

This is what happens when you abandon comics for theater students. SNL used to be a springboard into bigger things, but nobody makes comedies anymore, and also most cast members were never funny to begin with.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 11, 2021

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Also the lottery sketch ventures into the least funny thing that modern SNL always does which is when something wacky happens and then someone has to read a line that goes like “uhhhh, did something wacky just happen?!?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

a new study bible! posted:

Good point.

This is what happens when you abandon comics for theater students. SNL used to be a springboard into bigger things, but nobody makes comedies anymore, and also most cast members were never funny to begin with.

what was the last funny movie to come out of a bunch of SNL alumns?

Bridesmaids?

Palm Springs was good even if it was just Sandberg

I guess the King of Staten Island was ok, or maybe it would have been if Judd Apatow had cut out 30 minutes of filler