Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
After 10 years of flying gliders, although with too few flights and hours in my book, I was passable at landing. I could land a glider without fear of breaking anything, but every time it left something to desire and improve. Then one spring I had my first flight of the year, my club's mandatory annual spring checkride. And the landing was unusually and surprisingly good, I really felt I got lucky with that one. But then the subsequent landings with a single seater felt about as good. And during that summer even other pilots commended me for my landings. So during the six months after my previous landing that I spent in the club's maintenance hall wrenching and polishing on gliders I somehow learned to land them. :confuoot: I fear I will lose my landing skills just as mysteriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

a patagonian cavy posted:

I only nail these because I’ve been flight instructing out of the same airport for uh 1800 hours

might be time to do a different airplane job

Yeah. I’ve fallen into such a pattern for our local area ops that when I do any flights out of the area I’ve got to be careful.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Speaking of radio calls, anyone have experience with PilotEdge? We're looking into integrating it into at least one of our Sim courses (on the Redbird) because one thing we're finding is the flight school is doing a lovely job of getting the students confident in talking on the radio even going into Instrument.

Yes, I do. I wasn’t part of any of the contract negotiations but I have flown against our group of controllers and instructed students while they talk to him. We have 9 VR devices hooked up talking to one guy at once. Way more realistic than normal simulated comms. However, our students haven’t hit the plane yet so I don’t know what the efficacy will be.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW0hKowUfI0

question for the controllers

1) It seems like the controller kinda screwed up here, right? He cleared the vehicle across the two inactive runways and told it to hold short of the active runway, but then in his next call added "cross without delay, traffic on half mile final" without specifying the runway. I am not sure if "cross without delay" is one of those magic phrases that requires the runway number. Obviously the correct thing is for the vehicle to ask for clarification, but the context does make it seem like the controller is ordering them to cross the active runway, because otherwise why would there be time pressure?

2) What happens to the driver of the vehicle for this incursion? You can't exactly give a pilot deviation to the fireman.

3) What happens to the controller for saying goddamnit so many times on the air?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
They both failed to communicate properly, which is why you should always cover your rear end by naming the specific runway every single time. Controller told him to cross without delay without including the runway again, which led to the initial confusion of which runway he was talking about. If Rescue 7 responded “ok crossing 18R without delay” he would have made the miscommunication noticeable to ATC before an incursion occurred.

Don’t be vague, don’t assume what they mean when ATC is being vague and ALWAYS read back the runway numbers EVERY TIME.

That’s my takeaway.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Rolo posted:

Bad radio calls are all but certain if you give me more than 2 commands and I have thousands of hours.

heh landed my first cross country in a while a couple weeks ago. 'Exit runway at a1' 'Unable', 'Exit a2, turn [8 instructions]', 'sorry, can I get progressive'

e: there were actually 6 instructions, including a 'clear to cross', before I was off the runway. That dude was an rear end, right?

yellowD fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 3, 2021

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

yellowD posted:

heh landed my first cross country in a while a couple weeks ago. 'Exit runway at a1' 'Unable', 'Exit a2, turn [8 instructions]', 'sorry, can I get progressive'

e: there were actually 6 instructions, including a 'clear to cross', before I was off the runway. That dude was an rear end, right?

You are 1000% in your rights to casually ignore all that, stop past the hold short bars, get out a notepad, and "say again"

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

vessbot posted:

You are 1000% in your rights to casually ignore all that, stop past the hold short bars, get out a notepad, and "say again"

:hmmyes:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

yellowD posted:

vessbot posted:

Vessbot nailed it in one, but as long as the controller wasn’t being a dick about it, they’re trying to move traffic around too and may have just been trying to get you moving for someone else.

Basically, if you can safely comply with a control instruction, try to do it, because it’s probably not going to be apparent to you why it’s being issued, but unable is unable, and for the love of god as mentioned above it you’re unsure, don’t guess.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

vessbot posted:

Dallas Love tower guys love to do a variation of this while we're rolling out and around 100 knots and still slowing:

Dallas Tower: Southwest 69 turn right mike seven mike bravo as;dlfjk;sldfjadls; contact ground point seven.
Me:....
Dallas Tower: Southwest 69 did you copy?
Me, agitated, still about 60 knots ground speed: still landing, standby.
Dallas Tower:....
Me, after exiting the runway and completing the after landing flow: Southwest 69, what did you say?
Dallas Tower: Contact ground point seven good day.
Me: :smuggo:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
[quote="Bob A Feet" post="518204245"

Yes, I do. I wasn’t part of any of the contract negotiations but I have flown against our group of controllers and instructed students while they talk to him. We have 9 VR devices hooked up talking to one guy at once. Way more realistic than normal simulated comms. However, our students haven’t hit the plane yet so I don’t know what the efficacy will be.
[/quote]

Tell me more about this?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Tbh, I don’t do any simming or VRing, so up until a few months ago I had no idea what pilot edge was.

I’m a navy flight instructor and we are attempting to integrate VR (via steam VR and p3d) into our training regimin. We have some pretty solid models of the T-6B we fly and have recently integrated pilot edge to give it a realer feel comms wise. I think VR has some huge quirks to work out and still needs some time in the oven overall but it’s been a fun training experience. We’ll see how the kids were training are once they get into the plane.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

In our case, the word has started to circulate that radio comms, especially in controlled airspace, are sorely lacking in our flight students as they start the instrument rating. What we (I and my former Citation drivin' colleague) are looking to do is tie existing Redbird training, of which the students get 16 hours (16 week semesters, which might turn into 2 hour sessions over 8 weeks), in with PilotEdge so they can better get the hang of talking to actual controllers while in a somewhat sterile environment. We're thinking of trying to incorporate some of their quickie flights into our curriculum so everybody is on the same page.

We might also tie it into a class which uses advanced software replicating the A320 (and taught by an ex-US/AA captain who hand chose the airframe because it's the one he has the most time in) to teach advanced navigation procedures.

E- TL;DR- we want to use it so the kids can learn how to talk good in slow planes and maybe fast ones as well. Given some of the bitch work we've had to do on another initiative recently, I'm a ready, willing, and eager Guinea pig to sit in the sim for a bit. Sign me tf up. :getin:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 5, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Someone at the airport today had a really nice Cessna jacket and I spent a few minutes trying to find it online, then tonight I get hit with this ad:

Now I want this too.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

turbulents posted:

Congrats on the offers! As someone still doing research about a pilot career, the ATP-Frontier program sounds interesting. How selective is it? I was leaning towards flight schools besides ATP, but if the chances of landing at Frontier at 1500 hours are good (and only possible through ATP?), I might have to consider it.
Oh hey, missed this one!

It’s pretty competitive. ATP will only recommend current instructors in good standing who preferably have taken at least one “advanced instructor” role: things like multiengine instructor, lead instructor, TAA instructor, et al. They’ll give you some interview prep and help you nail the application process. I think ATP has moved about 20 instructors to Frontier this way since the program started.

From what I know, Frontier only has this interview program with ATP. It’s a cool opportunity but having to pay another 18k out of pocket is a tough sell to me. Granted that you only attend the “enhanced CTP” after you pass the interview but it’s still a conditional job offer and you could be left high and dry. I haven’t heard of anyone getting screwed over but I’m sure circulating news like that would be highly discouraged.

The program does seem to be gaining traction, so it could be better and more accessible in the 1.5-2 years or so when it’ll really matter to you.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

cigaw posted:

Oh hey, missed this one!

It’s pretty competitive. ATP will only recommend current instructors in good standing who preferably have taken at least one “advanced instructor” role: things like multiengine instructor, lead instructor, TAA instructor, et al. They’ll give you some interview prep and help you nail the application process. I think ATP has moved about 20 instructors to Frontier this way since the program started.

From what I know, Frontier only has this interview program with ATP. It’s a cool opportunity but having to pay another 18k out of pocket is a tough sell to me. Granted that you only attend the “enhanced CTP” after you pass the interview but it’s still a conditional job offer and you could be left high and dry. I haven’t heard of anyone getting screwed over but I’m sure circulating news like that would be highly discouraged.

The program does seem to be gaining traction, so it could be better and more accessible in the 1.5-2 years or so when it’ll really matter to you.

seems faster and easier to leave ATP go to a regional and then waltz into Frontier recruitment a year later.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Friend in new hire class at AA had the pilot hiring guy in on day one and said they were planning on running a class of 45 every week in 2022. 2340 pilots in one year. My airline is rumored to be gunning for 1800. You'll get your chance at the big leagues, save your 18k and let frontier, spirit and even United and delta come begging in a year or two.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Animal posted:

seems faster and easier to leave ATP go to a regional and then waltz into Frontier recruitment a year later.

Arson Daily posted:

Friend in new hire class at AA had the pilot hiring guy in on day one and said they were planning on running a class of 45 every week in 2022. 2340 pilots in one year. My airline is rumored to be gunning for 1800. You'll get your chance at the big leagues, save your 18k and let frontier, spirit and even United and delta come begging in a year or two.
Yeah, that’s my thinking as well.

In other news, wife and I are trying to figure out the whole SkyWest vs Endeavor thing and it was basically coming down to “are we moving or staying in the west coast for now?”, especially since both class dates were in March. Now Endeavor is interested in moving my class date to Feb or even Jan. This is not a bad problem to have, but it does throw a wrench in the works. An extra 1-2 months of seniority sounds nice but I’m not sure how much to weigh it in the grand scheme of things.

cigaw fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 6, 2021

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
No guarantees in the regionals but go to where you can live in base and where you think you can get the quickest upgrade. Everything else will sort itself out.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Two Kings posted:

No guarantees in the regionals but go to where you can live in base and where you think you can get the quickest upgrade. Everything else will sort itself out.

Living in base is key to making the regionals okayish

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Holy poo poo the entire southeast is hosed today. I’m sorry to anyone that was on my frequency while I was panic-holding everyone.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Got JA'd on my wedding anniversary let's gooooo

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Why would you ever answer your phone on your day off?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Because I was at work at the time duh

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Crossposted from Cold War thread in TFR (edited for relevancy).

TheFluff posted:

<snip>

Sagebrush posted:

In fighter jets, negative stability means that the plane always wants to turn harder than it currently is, which is great in combat. It also makes the plane extremely difficult to fly by hand, so you have a flight computer that's constantly making the tiny adjustments needed to keep the marble balanced. When the pilot pulls on the stick, the computer just "relaxes stability" in the pitch axis and basically lets the plane go and pitch up like it wants to.

:actually: This is a very common pop understanding, but it's not really correct. Negative static stability isn't generally beneficial; the hypothetical ideal aircraft has perfectly neutral static stability at any alpha (but this is of course aerodynamically impossible). Any control surface deflection causes extra drag, which is something you don't want, and the stronger your negative static stability, the more you have to deflect the control surfaces to stop the alpha from increasing. It's the exact same thing as with positive stability but working in the other direction - instead of wanting to return to a stable attitude, the plane wants to flip over, and in both cases you need a constant control surface deflection to keep it at any given attitude, in one direction or the other. On paper it would seem like negative static stability could be beneficial in the sense that it could make attitude changes faster (since they become self-reinforcing feedback loops), but in practice this is not the case, because you run into rate limits on the control surfaces - you can easily make an aircraft with strong negative static stability capable of attitude changes that accelerate so quickly that the control surfaces cannot physically be moved fast enough to counteract them. You just need a tiny little control surface deflection to start the maneuver but then you immediately need a bigger deflection in the other direction to prevent it from immediately going out of control.

We can thank NASA for finding that out for us with the X-29 (that wacky thing with the forward-swept wings) back in the 80's. After a long series of trials and FCS development they concluded that it in fact had significantly slower pitch control response than conventional fighter jets did. It wasn't that the plane itself was slow to respond, but rather the opposite - it constantly wanted to flip over so bad that the limiting factor on how fast the flight control system could allow it to change attitude was how fast the hydraulics were physically capable of moving the canards to counteract the attitude change that they had just initiated. NASA estimated that in order to make the X-29 as responsive in pitch as the F-18 was, they'd need actuators that could move at least 50% faster (and the existing ones were already capable of rotating the canards at over 100°/s). See http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.500.28&rep=rep1&type=pdf if you want the gory details. Page 16 has a nice diagram directly comparing the pitch rate of the F-18 vs the X-29.

e: actually lemme just screenshot that for you, that paper is pretty heavy reading and is mostly about control theory and not so much about aerodynamics. (highlights mine, of course)

e2: clarification: forgot to mention that there is one benefit of slight to moderate negative longitudinal static stability though. to keep an aircraft with positive stability at a stable positive alpha the tailplane has to generate a downforce, which the rest of the lifting surfaces have to carry. with negative stability you don't get that, so e.g. flying at a constant high alpha in an aircraft with negative stability costs less lift (and hence has less drag) than it would with equivalent positive stability.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That was a pretty cool thing to learn, though I am not sure how it's relevant to griping about working at a regional airline.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Arson Daily posted:

Because I was at work at the time duh

Wtf, I don't answer the phone at work. Is that a contractual obligation or something?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

counterpoint: the X-29 looked loving rad so it’s impossible to say whether it was good or not

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Rekinom posted:

Wtf, I don't answer the phone at work. Is that a contractual obligation or something?

They can get you with ACARS while you’re flying or even have someone waiting for you when you arrive at the gate. They’ll even call the other pilot to ask where you are. Some pilots only give the company a home phone number because often you’re not required to have a cell phone because the airline doesn’t pay for one for you.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Two Kings posted:

They can get you with ACARS while you’re flying or even have someone waiting for you when you arrive at the gate. They’ll even call the other pilot to ask where you are. Some pilots only give the company a home phone number because often you’re not required to have a cell phone because the airline doesn’t pay for one for you.

It’s spelled out in our contract the only ways we can be contacted and just lol if they think going to respond to any other method if I’m likely going to be hosed over by a given situation.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Rekinom posted:

We're required to be contactable for 30 mins after block in. Plus there was a note on the In/On sheet they give us to call scheduling plus the ops agent told me to call scheduling plus they blew up my phone repeatedly plus plus plus....So I didn't have much choice other than to talk to them. jokes on them though I'm calling off sick my next two trips.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
spite callouts :hmmyes:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The Challenger I’m flying doesn’t give radio altitude calls below 1000.

Looks like I have to start learning the sight picture uggghhhh!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Crossposted from Cold War thread in TFR (edited for relevancy).

Thanks for this! I've probably been guilty of passing off the same sound byte...

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

vessbot posted:

Thanks for this! I've probably been guilty of passing off the same sound byte...

Sure. I know I got into x-29 aerodynamics back in the day, but the only thing I took away from it was "negative stability bad." I knew that modern fighters were described as having "relaxed static stability" and that was conflated with "negative static stability" but wasn't sure why that was a bad thing.

The analogy I got from the F-117 pilot was that "relaxed stability" was like having one of those tilty marble maze games, except without a maze. You could turn the table, and the marble would roll faster and faster, but then you tilt it back and the marble keeps doing what it was doing. To continue the analogy from above, positive stability is a marble in a bowl. Tilting the bowl moves the marble, but doing nothing, the bowl sits flat and the marble moves back to the bottom. Negative stability is the bowl upside down. Even if you don't do anything, the marble falls off (slowly at first); tilting the bowl means you gotta be really really fast to keep the marble from falling off. "Relaxed" stability is a very shallow bowl with a wide, flat bottom. The marble may wander around a little, but it's easy to tilt the bowl to get it back to the middle. Either positive or negative, really. If positive, then getting to the end of your control limits means the aircraft tries to fly back to normal, if negative, then getting to the end of your controls means the thing tumbles out of control.

The MD-11 was designed with negative longitudinal stability and had a very aft CG. Tail-standing them still isn't super uncommon if they're loaded wrong. One of the first incidents was one of the pilots inducing an incredibly strong and rapid pitch at climbout, and there was not enough control authority left to recover. That got the SAS system a thorough going-through at the urging of the FAA.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Kinda wild how the faa and other world aviation authorities certifies transport category airplanes with strange and sometimes not well understood aerodynamic characteristics and then allows your average line pilots to act as test pilots.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

Looks like I have to start learning the sight picture uggghhhh!

Other than TAWS, what use does a RA system that doesn't alert below 1000agl have? Obviously, no Cat 2/3.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Even if it doesn't give callouts there's probably still an RA display somewhere. Also some systems (e.g. ground spoilers) use RA as a backup to weight on wheels in determining if the aircraft is on the ground or flying.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

ausgezeichnet posted:

Other than TAWS, what use does a RA system that doesn't alert below 1000agl have? Obviously, no Cat 2/3.

By 'calls' he meant the helpful ones that tell you how high you are off the ground for general awaress (1000, 500), and pre-flare and flare help (50, 40, 30...). Other than having those, RA uses are:

- TAWS/GPWS (as you said)
- "are we flying?" input to other systems (arming ground spoilers, anti-skid, maybe auto brakes? I dunno) as KodiakRS said
- height display (and "minimums" call) for Cat II/III approaches, which need more precision than the barometric-based Cat I

vessbot fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 19, 2021

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

MrYenko posted:

Holy poo poo the entire southeast is hosed today. I’m sorry to anyone that was on my frequency while I was panic-holding everyone.

I've been away for a bit but just saw the date on this post, that's the day we had to divert on EWR-MIA to RSW! woopsiedaisies. Yeah, not fun. Wonder if we chatted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Rolo posted:

Which altitudes are voiced ("Mode 6") is a configurable option on the GPWS. All GPWS voice callouts and other audio are generated from the LRU unless you're flying something new and fancy.

A CL600 should be able to do all the normal callouts if some pins are reprogrammed on the LRU.