Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

Watching Mando S1 again and I'm surprised people didn't like the Seven Samurai episode that much. The only weak episode of Season 1 is the Tatooine episode. The fight against the chicken walker in episode 4 was great.

I liked that episode, it felt like a quest from a video game. The payoff being all the jawas were gonna do was eat the big fuckin egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sekhmnet posted:

I liked that episode, it felt like a quest from a video game. The payoff being all the jawas were gonna do was eat the big fuckin egg.

The seven samurai episode was the one with the Chicken Walker. Training the villagers and all that. I thought it was funny how dumb and backwater everyone was that the bartender didn't realize that Mando was paying her to watch Grogu and she completely missed it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do kinda feel like at this point that I've seen the whole 7 Samurai plot about enough times by this point. Although that wasn't one of the worst examples, and it had a nice battle.

I'm not exactly happy that they turned the Krayt Dragon into a sandworm, but it sure was a cool episode.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The concept art of it is actually just a whole pile of legs that never get above the surface of the sand. They animated it swimming like an aligator mostly using its tail.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It definitely has legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd39daKZCI8

Mando's 7 Samurai episode was better than the Clone Wars 7 Samurai episode. Sorry folks but Embo is lame.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

The seven samurai episode was the one with the Chicken Walker. Training the villagers and all that. I thought it was funny how dumb and backwater everyone was that the bartender didn't realize that Mando was paying her to watch Grogu and she completely missed it.

I liked that episode as well, but I was referring to the 'weak spot' episode.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sekhmnet posted:

I liked that episode as well, but I was referring to the 'weak spot' episode.

I dont know how you can refer to "Fury Road but with Jawas" as the weak one.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

It definitely has legs.

Mando's 7 Samurai episode was better than the Clone Wars 7 Samurai episode. Sorry folks but Embo is lame.
Yowza that thing is freaky looking when you can see all of it

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Arc Hammer posted:

I dont know how you can refer to "Fury Road but with Jawas" as the weak one.

Theyre referring to the one with the young bounty hunter who teams up with mando and tries to betray him. The jawa episode actually takes place on a different planet that has jawas on it. The real rear end in a top hat jawas who were too badass to stay on tatooine.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Arc Hammer posted:

Suu had two twilek-human kids with her former husband before she married Cut. They looked a lot better than Kanan and Hera's creepy green haired elf son in Rebels.

Twi'leks may be a special case given that their ancestors were made by a computer.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Twi'leks may be a special case given that their ancestors were made by a computer.
Whut?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

It's a plotline in the SWTOR MMO....the idea that that Eternal Empire (originally touched on in KOTOR) started to lose Force sensitivity among their native species and built a giant computer that controlled a bio-engineering plant with the idea of creating slaves who could use the Force. Several races are shown to be the result of this program, including the Twi'leks.

Of course the Old Republic is of very dubious canonicity, as no one over at Disney is going to say "Oh wait, we can't do that, there was this one quest in SWTOR that contradicts this idea!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why is everything lore related to the MMO loving terrible. It's bad enough that Bioware keeps recycling plot points ad infinitum but they're just done so poorly while people praise their storytelling as the second coming of Shakespeare because the competition is so low.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jng2058 posted:

It's a plotline in the SWTOR MMO....the idea that that Eternal Empire (originally touched on in KOTOR) started to lose Force sensitivity among their native species and built a giant computer that controlled a bio-engineering plant with the idea of creating slaves who could use the Force. Several races are shown to be the result of this program, including the Twi'leks.

Of course the Old Republic is of very dubious canonicity, as no one over at Disney is going to say "Oh wait, we can't do that, there was this one quest in SWTOR that contradicts this idea!"
Oh, that. Yeah that's... not accurate. Twi'leks were around earlier than that in canon so the only way to make sense of that plotline is the Rakatan computer lying to you because the Rakata have major god complexes.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Arquinsiel posted:

Oh, that. Yeah that's... not accurate. Twi'leks were around earlier than that in canon so the only way to make sense of that plotline is the Rakatan computer lying to you because the Rakata have major god complexes.

You could hand wave it to be "I didn't create the Twi'leks, but I did modify some to try and make them extra special Force sensitive" but that's putting more thought into it than the quest writer did, I'm sure.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Some degree of handwaving is necessary with the old EU. It's... not particularly consistent.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arquinsiel posted:

Some degree of handwaving is necessary with the old EU. It's... not particularly consistent.

But we still point and laugh at the dumb stuff. In this case all of the MMO.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They put midichlorians in the water

Arc Hammer posted:

It definitely has legs.

The cw 7s ep is a real outlier considering what filoni end up doing with Hondo too

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Arc Hammer posted:

Why is everything lore related to the MMO loving terrible. It's bad enough that Bioware keeps recycling plot points ad infinitum but they're just done so poorly while people praise their storytelling as the second coming of Shakespeare because the competition is so low.

KOTOR came out in 2003 and it was the best thing to come out of Star Wars since the '80s. That bought a lot of good will. KOTOR2 came out in 2004 and was obviously incomplete. I never played the MMO but the idea of a product that may be imperfect at ship but can deliver on the promise of KOTOR without the issues of KOTOR2 is going to buy tons of goodwill. That, and it came out in 2011 where people were, again, starving for SW content of any kind.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arc Hammer posted:

But we still point and laugh at the dumb stuff. In this case all of the MMO.
Plenty of the MMO storylines are good. The stuff that ignores the force entirely tends to be way better than the stuff for the Jedi and Sith characters, for obvious reasons.

Then they make those characters do force stuff too and it just stops making sense at all :negative:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was going to rebuttal Twi’leks being made by a computer with some research and pointing out they’ve been around since before the Jedi started using lightsabers and realized my Dawn of the Jedi books are loving legends books now. :(

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Speaking of pre-lightsaber Jedi, I do hope the we eventually get a TV series that explores the distant past of the Jedi when they were still just wielding regular swords or even just the lightsabers connected to belt-worn power packs. ANH had a sword-and-sandal feel to it that I haven't really seen anything else outside the TotJ comics really capture since.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Anita Dickinme posted:

I was going to rebuttal Twi’leks being made by a computer with some research and pointing out they’ve been around since before the Jedi started using lightsabers and realized my Dawn of the Jedi books are loving legends books now. :(

Don't worry, only some Twi'leks were made by a computer.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Anita Dickinme posted:

If it helps the game that claims they are also is so you'd be right.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Apart from the Krayt Dragon Episode and the Bill-Burr-can-actually-act episode, I'm liking Season 1 more on this watch. The episodes don't stop dead to moonlight as backdoor pilots for new series, which is a plus.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is the bad fighter lady who cant act coming back? Every dumb FB ad apparently thinks so.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think a few EU sourced had claimed that some of the "near-human" species like the Chiss are actually the descendants of pre-hyperspace Human colonists that continued to adapt to the planets they colonized over hundreds of thousands of years. So anything with a human body and face (Zabraks, Twi'Leks, etc.) could still be genetically compatible to some degree.

Though that also opens the door for dumb poo poo like Asian people actually being aliens called "Epicanthix".

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Slashrat posted:

Speaking of pre-lightsaber Jedi, I do hope the we eventually get a TV series that explores the distant past of the Jedi when they were still just wielding regular swords or even just the lightsabers connected to belt-worn power packs. ANH had a sword-and-sandal feel to it that I haven't really seen anything else outside the TotJ comics really capture since.

I think a movie would be good set in that time, and the only reason I say that is because I think with the proper time and budget you could probably choreograph some really sick duels using a lightsaber attached to a rope and/or nothing but fists & force. It probably makes more sense as a limited D+ show but I feel like you wouldn't quite get to the right spectacle level with that.

Those old Tales of the Jedi Dark Horse comics were sick as gently caress and the art style being slightly weirder than the mainline SW comics was choice. If they ever did make a really really old history SW movie/show I'd hope they'd do something with the aesthetic or film filter to make things weird.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Robot Style posted:

Though that also opens the door for dumb poo poo like Asian people actually being aliens called "Epicanthix".

I had to google this to see if you were making it up, and... huh.

edit: if you didn't know, epicanthal folds are common in people with Asian heritage

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

banned from Starbucks posted:

Is the bad fighter lady who cant act coming back? Every dumb FB ad apparently thinks so.

We're still at least a year out from Season 3 and I don't know if they've even started filming. After Carano had her stupid rear end social media statements I'm wondering if they decided to rewrite some stuff.

Unless Season 3 has Mando doing Conan the Barbarian and wearing the jeweled crown of Mandalore atop a troubled brow, I'm fine to wait.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Robot Style posted:

People talk a lot of poo poo about Darth Lightsaber Knees or otter loving or Waru, but this right here is the nadir of Legends (and I say this as someone who was overall a Legends fan)

Explainer for those who don't know -- in Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, you fight a dark Jedi named Yun who's played by an Asian actor in the live-action cutscenes:

He's pretty forgettable in the larger EU overall, he later dies saving Kyle Katarn who then uses his yellow lightsaber for the rest of the game. At no point is there *ever* any indication he's anything but human, until a sourcebook later comes out that says actually he's a near-human species known as an Epicanthix. Human anatomy students might recognize this as very similar to the epicanthic fold, a feature of the eyelid that's typically associated with Asian people.

So yeah, there's a race of aliens in Legends EU that are human in every way except for the fact that they look Asian, which makes them just near-human. Insane that this was ever approved, at also that no point did anyone at Lucasfilm retcon it after the fact, even after actual EU authors pointed out that hey, this is kinda messed up.

https://web.archive.org/web/2016051...31275924/page-2

Dan Wallace, prolific EU sourcebook author posted:

Whoa, I didn't realize that the name of the Epicanthix species was probably derived from epicanthic fold. That's...uncomfortable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At least the Serocco from Kotor 2 were still humans. They just came from the planet of sexy Korean Boy Band clones.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

banned from Starbucks posted:

https://i.imgur.com/KMdmY1M.mp4

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Sending in my Mandalorian spec script where he goes to the planet Nubialla. I think you can guess what the aliens there look like...

they're sexy cat people

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Moon Slayer posted:

Sending in my Mandalorian spec script where he goes to the planet Nubialla. I think you can guess what the aliens there look like...

they're sexy cat people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUuvHPr4BGk

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I've actually been catching up on a bunch of sw comics lately and was curious about the dark horse stuff. which was the line of the like, really, really old Jedi

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

site posted:

I've actually been catching up on a bunch of sw comics lately and was curious about the dark horse stuff. which was the line of the like, really, really old Jedi

There's Tales of the Jedi, which was published in the 90s and takes place 5,000-4,000 years before ANH, and Dawn of the Jedi, which came out right before the Legends split and took place 25,000 years pre-ANH. Not sure which one you're looking for but there they are

EDIT: Oh there were also KOTOR comics which were around in the late 2000s but I doubt that's what you're referring to

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbh i'm not sure which one i'm looking for either, i just remember at least one of them being fairly well regarded and those are eras i'm not really familiar with, even if they are non-canon legends now, so i figured i'd give em a shot

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, Tales of the Jedi was the series in the 90's that laid the groundwork for all the later KOTOR stuff, and was mostly developed by Dark Empire's Tom Veitch and Kevin J. Anderson. It's got two major arcs - one that tells the story of what happened about 40 years before the first KOTOR game (4000 years before the movies), and one that jumps back another thousand years to show the Sith Empire's discovery of and first war with the Republic.

The later KOTOR comics from the 2000's take place between the Tales of the Jedi stuff and the KOTOR game, and are pretty fun.

I haven't read the Dawn of the Jedi stuff, but it's from John Ostrander and Jan Duursema, who I remember getting really into the edgelord-y "He's a Jedi, but he fucks and smokes crack" types of characters around that time so not sure how well they hold up.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

In terms of quality, I think the KOTOR comics are regarded as the best of the ancient history -- TOTJ was pretty innovative at the time but the art can be painfully bad in a uniquely 90s way and Kevin J Anderson is generally not well-regarded as a SW author for a variety of reasons.

Never read Dawn myself but I was a big fan of John and Jan's work in Republic and Legacy -- yeah some of it was CRAWLING IN MY SKIN edgy and Jan's women characters almost never wear real shirts, but her art is ridiculously good in spite of that and Quinlan Vos was a pretty unique character for the time as a Jedi whose specialty was dealing with the criminal underworld rather than high-minded diplomacy.