Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I really wish (very late game) Storm Missile locked on faster. Endgame bosses just devolve into finding tight windows to wait for the lock-on and a split-second reaction to hit the enemy and bail. It’s really tedious and annoying and I wish there were better weapons than the Storm Missile cause it’s not fun to use.

I'm not sure I understand the issue. Charging the storm missiles does not impede your mobility. Just get them ready and get a few lock ons spaced out then fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I made it past phase three.

Oh goody there's a phase four.

I can't handle this I give up for tonight, loving hell.

Phase 4 is basically a cutscene??

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You gotta focus on not getting hit. Space Jump and Phase Dash make that very doable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

probably refers to his wingless phase, which isn’t as bad as the previous one but still pretty vicious

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Okay I just re-fought Kraid on hardmode after sequence breaking to get the bombs early and holy loving poo poo the amount of badassery they slyly put into Samus is blowing my mind on second playthrough.

She drops into the room, with one side obscured by smoke, her weapon up ready and Kraid reveals himself. And she puts her arm down because she's like "I've fought this rear end in a top hat before, jesus loving christ why do I keep taking these missions". Then as he yells in her face unable to reach her, she loving charges the beam at her side and braps it right in his mouth just to be a loving HUGE dick. Kraid's eyes (All three? four?) of them even narrow, then the fight begins.

Then going into phase 2 she's just standing there idly waiting for him to break his left arm out, and does a sweet flip out of the way like it's no big deal. Using bombs to murder him FEELS intended, even though I know it's not since the second part focuses on the purple stomach hole.

Then after the fight is over she just casually jumps on his body to the other side of the room and stands completely loving stonefaced as he descends into lava, casually dodging the stomach projectile like it was NBD as she stands, utterly still, as the last claw holds on for one last time, then slips into the lava.

Like, holy gently caress, even if they didn't set the ending to be Samus is the Metroid, she loving earned that badassery right there, god drat.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

lmao

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

probably refers to his wingless phase, which isn’t as bad as the previous one but still pretty vicious

It is vicious but it's also unambiguously the third phase. Not sure how you could consider there being another one in there, it goes shield, wings, wingless, done.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I guess people are defining phases differently from me. :v:

For me it's phase one: start of the fight up until you slide under the thing and initiate the counter sequence. Phase two: when he becomes invincible and you have to wait until he baits you to come in and counter. Phase three: cloak burns off and he flies around. Phase four: rips off the other wing to avoid Square Enix copyright infringement. The one I've classified as "phase three" is the one that tears me up pretty good. I've gotten a little better at it though since I started using the flash step to quickly move over him while he's doing the 360 beam firing that tracks you but he still moves incredibly fast and hits really hard and I'm usually down to a quarter life or less by the time he hits the next phase, and the pickups I can grab aren't enough. Especially since it gives me more missiles than health due to the phase immediately before taking like 120 loving missiles.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How do I dodge the last boss’s dash attack when he’s in bird mode? I can’t duck it and can’t phase through it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

fadam posted:

How do I dodge the last boss’s dash attack when he’s in bird mode? I can’t duck it and can’t phase through it.

Press b

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

also you can slide under it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Or you can slide, I found that easier

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

fadam posted:

If you mean the horizontal one, you can slide under it. If you mean the vertical one, just move to one side.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I learned to predict when it was gonna come out so I baited it high with space jump.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I guess people are defining phases differently from me. :v:

For me it's phase one: start of the fight up until you slide under the thing and initiate the counter sequence. Phase two: when he becomes invincible and you have to wait until he baits you to come in and counter. Phase three: cloak burns off and he flies around. Phase four: rips off the other wing to avoid Square Enix copyright infringement. The one I've classified as "phase three" is the one that tears me up pretty good. I've gotten a little better at it though since I started using the flash step to quickly move over him while he's doing the 360 beam firing that tracks you but he still moves incredibly fast and hits really hard and I'm usually down to a quarter life or less by the time he hits the next phase, and the pickups I can grab aren't enough. Especially since it gives me more missiles than health due to the phase immediately before taking like 120 loving missiles.

On the attempt in which I finally beat it, I actually used the beam exclusively during wing phase.

Game good. Super is still the GOAT but this is at least as good as Fusion. A weekend well spent.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DelphiAegis posted:

Okay I just re-fought Kraid on hardmode after sequence breaking to get the bombs early and holy loving poo poo the amount of badassery they slyly put into Samus is blowing my mind on second playthrough.

I was sold at the end of the first boss, when she's just strolling by charging her beam saber in the background. This game knows that "silent protagonist" doesn't mean "no personality."

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol kraid is fat

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mind over Matter posted:

If you mean the horizontal one, you can slide under it. If you mean the vertical one, just move to one side.

Oh lol I forgot you can slide

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

What's fun is watching the opening cutscene on a replay and realizing that Samus actually plays the same as you have to later. Meleeing this, ducking under that...

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Bruceski posted:

What's fun is watching the opening cutscene on a replay and realizing that Samus actually plays the same as you have to later. Meleeing this, ducking under that...

Every boss intro cutscene actually shows off their main weak points and what works best on them
including the final boss in the game's intro, which is a crazy detail

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

fadam posted:

turn into a ball. also realize that his attacks follow a pattern, so he only uses it at certain times

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m doing some sequence breaks for my hard mode playthrough and it really changes the feel of the game in a cool way. it reminds me a lot of zero mission

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
(boss spoiler) I just rewatched he Kraig death scene on youtube, and it doesn't show how he dies. You blast him in the mouth a bunch of times, and then he just sinks into the lava, while very much alive and kicking... and the lava was always there? Not really seeing where the fatal blow was since he's still going strong after you blast him in the mouth a bunch of times. Maybe he's just escaping? DLC incoming

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

(boss spoiler) I just rewatched he Kraig death scene on youtube, and it doesn't show how he dies. You blast him in the mouth a bunch of times, and then he just sinks into the lava, while very much alive and kicking... and the lava was always there? Not really seeing where the fatal blow was since he's still going strong after you blast him in the mouth a bunch of times. Maybe he's just escaping? DLC incoming

Let's gooo!!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Augus posted:

I’m doing some sequence breaks for my hard mode playthrough and it really changes the feel of the game in a cool way. it reminds me a lot of zero mission

I just finished my hardmode run doing the same thing, I did: early grapple into early bombs then early super missiles and then early cross bombs and early gravity suit.

The last one is particularly interesting since it means Z57 without storm missile or space jump (I think you normally have that?) - I didn't have anywhere as much trouble with it as I thought I would, and I missed all my shinespark attempts too.

I clocked in at 5:27 with 57% item collection. I definitely could have done way better cause I didn't really have a routing plan and got lost at a few points.

I think I take back almost every complaint I had - the last 2 EMMI sections gave me a lot of trouble on my first playthrough that were largely solved by using flash shift to get over some gaps. `Tons of bosses were just much easier knowing patterns and being more comfortable with the controls.

My only remaining complaint: Raven Beak's three hit melee is really annoying - it's really easy to get stuck and can be really tricky to get over him with the way the knockback works.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 12, 2021

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
hard mode twin robos can, in fact, eat my entire rear end. gently caress this fight, it's not even the fun kind of hard like the final boss it's just tedious

bosses in this game already did Too Much loving Damage, so of course hard mode cranks that up to eleven. "sorry, you clipped a tiny projectile, eat 2 tanks worth of damage"

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I was expecting it to come back as an x host later and was disappointed when it didn't.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Ok so the Emmi in Dairon is a right bitch. I just got the dash, but haven't found the Gravity Suit yet. Can that stupid robot swim, too?

E: Yes it can.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 12, 2021

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Started playing this today, and oh god I’m so unfamiliar with 2D Metroid controls, but I’m having a blast!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Annie Chickenstalker posted:

I was expecting it to come back as an x host later and was disappointed when it didn't.

the final boss cutscene monster is the z-57 X fused with Kraid and Raven Beak

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Waffle! posted:

Ok so the Emmi in Dairon is a right bitch. I just got the dash, but haven't found the Gravity Suit yet. Can that stupid robot swim, too?

E: Yes it can.

As a small bit of mercy, the grab animation is slowed down when the EMMI is underwater, giving you a larger counter window.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Zoran posted:

Started playing this today, and oh god I’m so unfamiliar with 2D Metroid controls, but I’m having a blast!

For what it’s worth, the Samus Returns / Dread control scheme feels wildly different to all the previous 2D games and I sort of resent that they won’t let me move with the d-pad.

BisbyWorl posted:

As a small bit of mercy, the grab animation is slowed down when the EMMI is underwater, giving you a larger counter window.

That just threw me off after I got the hang of the normal timing

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Help I need to do productive stuff but instead I just keep playing this

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Mode 7 posted:

Just become a speedrunner, that way playing Dread is productive!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Seven hour and a measly 42 percent completion lmao, but I am done and free of your spoiler tags

End boss worked pretty well once you got the patterns down and abused the power bomb for the sun; latter was why I made it through because you don't have enough time to charge once it starts spitting out. Metroid suit was sick, although it's weird that Samus was fully squidded and yet still was her regular old self til then. I want to see a real half human half metroid hybrid, dammit. Basically give me this https://twitter.com/psuedofolio/status/1405033800128765954?t=x8hzFny4GARMq2U3fH2Aiw&s=19

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Really would have appreciated an option to toggle missiles rather than holding the button down.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

12:45:26 at 87% (Not sure how much of that was time lost to shinespark stuff before I gave up on that but eh). Fun game overall but man that final boss was a tough SOB.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mode 7 posted:

You're doing the right thing :cheerdoge:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Took a break from this earlier tonight, came back to it, still no idea where I'm supposed to go now that I've killed the Yellow E.M.M.I. in Dairon. I can't seem to find a new way forward in either Dairon or Burenia, do I need to backtrack to Cataris or Artaria?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

DelphiAegis posted:

Then going into phase 2 she's just standing there idly waiting for him to break his left arm out, and does a sweet flip out of the way like it's no big deal. Using bombs to murder him FEELS intended, even though I know it's not since the second part focuses on the purple stomach hole.

Given that killing him with bombs gives you the special cutscene and one hit kill, I'd go so far as to say that it's very intended.