Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Goast posted:

sounds like they should start some addiction counseling programs to counteract the classic formerly-religious tendency to go loving crazy with drugs and booze like a teenager

Openly advocating for the construction of concentration camps isn’t welcome on these forums. User loses posting privileges for 5 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Grapplejack posted:

Hell north Vietnam was Chinese land and then a tributary state after a semi-successful independence war, which then got supplanted by french Indonesia. Western meddling slicing off pieces of the Chinese state during the century of humiliation

is there a map of every state that once paid tribute to the chinese emperor? i've got some irredentism to mock up for laughs

the macartney mission alone will make it extremely lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1447686307732410372

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

lol

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is there a map of every state that once paid tribute to the chinese emperor? i've got some irredentism to mock up for laughs

the macartney mission alone will make it extremely lol

and of course the greater china claims the KMT had were based off of that, an amalgamation of Qing controlled areas and tributary states that were largely subservient to the Qing and Ming empires, and also just any other tributary because hey gently caress it why not

"why the gently caress is borneo on here" is because they were a tributary. A bunch of current-day PRC claims also come from this map though they're much less likely to claim tributary areas.

e: actually this is missing Japan, which was technically a tributary, but it was more of a formality where both sides continued doing whatever they wanted but china got a token tribute and could avoid trying to invade japan again.

ee: it's worth pointing out that some of those tributaries only had to send some gold and acknowledge the supremeness of the emperor, while others were under more direct control ala a suzerainty

Grapplejack has issued a correction as of 00:22 on Oct 12, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i seem to recall that the tributary system was more of a gift exchange thing and that korea at least sometimes requested they be allowed to do multiple tributes a year because they liked the cool chinese poo poo they got in exchange

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

i seem to recall that the tributary system was more of a gift exchange thing and that korea at least sometimes requested they be allowed to do multiple tributes a year because they liked the cool chinese poo poo they got in exchange

I believe the tribute system also include an emperor seal of approval to the local king. At least this was the relationship to half of the Vietnamese dynasties and selected Japanese kings. I am not sure this was comparable to the Papal approval in Europe.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ne0liberal/status/1447591757613617153

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1447519058975461377

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

President Xi, we call on you to put a permanent end to the shipping of beef from UK to China! The emissions created by this wasteful commerce amounts to nothing less than genocide.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/IvoHDaalder/status/1446153465747607557
https://mobile.twitter.com/IvoHDaalder/status/1446153474983538691
https://mobile.twitter.com/IvoHDaalder/status/1446153479911788556
https://mobile.twitter.com/IvoHDaalder/status/1446153488833130497

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/ne0liberal/status/1447593570857365506

The last supper one still looks dumb, that Twitter account overplayed their hand by trying too hard with this poo poo.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/globeandmail/status/1447631925666095111?s=20

quote:

Ms. Freeland’s ties to Ukraine are no secret, but materials uncovered from the KGB archives in Kyiv illuminate her role in the Ukrainian independence movement while on exchange there from Harvard University.

In the former Soviet republic – now Moscow’s antagonist – access to information on the communist period is guaranteed, both as part of reckoning with Ukraine’s past and explicitly as a rebuke to Russia, which is seeking once again to impose itself on the country.

The materials show what drew the Soviet intelligence services’ attention to the then-troublesome young Canadian, who was the subject of denouncements in the Soviet press and even warranted a feature in top-secret KGB documents.

In articles bearing titles like “Abuse of Hospitality,” Soviet newspapers publicly lambasted the Canadian visitor for recklessly meddling in the Soviet Union’s affairs with malice aforethought.

What business, asked the Kyiv newspaper Pravda Ukrainy, did someone from Edmonton have leading a civic organization for the preservation of the Ukrainian language in Ukraine? Why did someone in Ukraine to study Ukrainian spend so little time doing so at the university sponsoring her visit – and why study when, as the televised rallies at which she spoke time and again clearly showed, she spoke the language flawlessly?
Ms. Freeland, in a written statement to The Globe and Mail, said: “I am aware that my work with pro-democracy and environmental activists invoked the ire of the Soviet KGB. I remember being the target of smear campaigns in the Soviet press.

“Though I was eventually forced to leave the country, I have no regrets about my time in Ukraine during the Soviet period. Out of this experience, what struck me, very powerfully, was how quickly a rotten political system could collapse, and how important the work of brave dissidents could be.”
According to the KGB, Ms. Freeland was more than just an agitator for, as Col. Stroi derisively put it, “the liberation of Ukraine” who coerced Soviet citizens into staging marches and rallies to attract Western support. She delivered cash, video- and audio-recording equipment, and even a personal computer to her contacts in Ukraine.

All of this took place under the watchful eye of the KGB, which surveilled Ms. Freeland. Its officers tailed her wherever she went, tapped her phone calls to Ukrainians abroad, bugged her accommodation, read her mail, and had an informer, codenamed Slav, insert himself into Ms. Freeland’s circle and gain the young Canadian’s trust.

Freeland warns Canadians to beware of Russian disinformation

But Ms. Freeland knew the rules of the road. She used a Canadian diplomat at the embassy in Moscow, known to the KGB as Bison and suspected of being a spy, to send material abroad in a diplomatic pouch that could not be intercepted or read.

She increasingly avoided major gatherings, lest her participation draw too much attention to her. And the Soviet secret police’s subtler attempts to curtail her activities failed: Her teacher at Kyiv’s Taras Shevchenko University, on the KGB’s orders, increased her workload. But the student, ostensibly on a visa to study Ukrainian, was so fluent that she did not need to attend class in the first place in order to make grades – much to the KGB’s chagrin.

Instead, she spent her time traversing Ukraine, purporting to visit far-flung family members, but in fact working as a fixer for visiting journalists from Canada, Britain and the United States, for example taking a BBC film crew to Lviv to meet leaders in the Ukrainian Catholic Church. Countless “tendentious” news stories about life in the Soviet Union, especially for its non-Russian citizens, had her fingerprints as Ms. Freeland set about making a name for herself in journalistic circles with an eye to her future career prospects.
The student causing so many headaches clearly loathed the Soviet Union, but she knew its laws inside and out – and how to use them to her advantage. She skillfully hid her actions, avoided surveillance (and shared that knowledge with her Ukrainian contacts), and expertly trafficked in “misinformation.” The conclusion is inescapable: Chrystia Freeland, this KGB officer was saying, would have made an excellent spy herself.

Ms. Freeland’s time in the Soviet Union came to an end when customs agents at Moscow’s Sheremetyevo airport, tipped off by the KGB, searched her luggage as she returned from a trip to London and found anti-Soviet materials. Even more worrying, they discovered a veritable how-to guide for running an election destined for use by non-Communist Party candidates campaigning for Ukrainian independence in the Soviet Union’s first-ever free elections. She was denied re-entry on March 31, 1989.

Some 30 years later, there is no love lost between Canada’s Deputy Prime Minister and the current leader of Russia, himself a former KGB officer, Vladimir Putin. And she still cannot fly into Moscow – since 2014, Chrystia Freeland has once again been the target of Kremlin sanctions, barred from entering the country.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ever since I watched this debate that Tyler the Creator tweet is the one that always comes to mind

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

state directed polls say state directed propaganda is working say state directed polls say…

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

Speaking from primarily the Japanese historical perspective, it was a sort of trade and soft security pact termed as "tribute" for internal Chinese political reasons. The "tribute" was repaid with "gifts" of similar high-end luxuries in a way that was typically profitable to begin with, and the missions were then allowed to engage in private trade to a limited degree based on the results of this exchange; on the diplomatic side, it worked out into something like a bilateral pledge where the "tributary" promised not to interfere with direct Chinese interests (but was still free to fight other tributaries under the threat of only rebukes and reduced trade quotas rather than invasion) while the Chinese refrained from attacking them directly (but would not defend them unless their own interests were also threatened; notably tributary a eating tributary b and then paying tribute a+b did not seriously bother China.)

The actual investiture part was recognized as a meaningless gesture done only as ritual submission even then; the last Japanese ruler to be enfeoffed as King of Wa by the Son of Heaven, one Ashikaga Yoshimitsu, was simultaneously an archduke or generalissimo by European standards arrogating the title of king (from a domestic standpoint) and the de facto emperor accepting the downgrade to king (from an international standpoint); Joseon, while it attracted a rare Chinese invasion by continuing to pay tribute to the Ming after the Qing took control, publicly viewed and billed itself as the true successor to the Ming even after being forced to shift its tributary relationship to Qing; and the Turpan Khanate at one point went to war with China with the demands of being allowed to "pay" greater "tribute".

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

The US also had a ban on beef from the UK for twenty five years due an outbreak of mad cow disease. That ban was lifted last year and the ban on lamb just a few weeks ago.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

:thunk:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its not like the UK should be exporting any of its food right now

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Guess he got Moderna

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its not like the UK should be exporting any of its food right now

why do you hate freedom

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008

Jose posted:

lol posted this in the anime thread after seeing teh thread tag. anyway looks like NED funding is running out

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1447233684730482696?s=20

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1447750669373300737

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

some poster once tried the same thing regarding the study that showed eastern european people preferred life under the USSR vs what they got in 90s and 00s

"it's nostalgia, rose tinted glasses" and "they're old and stupid" is the usual spiel

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

the dumbest man on the planet

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

god I hate this stupid lib master chief so much

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Yep all the "people who died" received a free continue so no deaths occurred like everyone said.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
India is teetering on the edge of a power crisis.

quote:

Government data showed that as of Oct. 6, 80% of India’s 135 coal-powered plants had less than 8 days of supplies left — more than half of those had stocks worth two days or fewer.

13 units shut due to coal shortage, consumers must use power sparingly: Maharashtra govt

The energy generation situation in Indian is worsening.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if you honestly and genuinely believed that there was some kind of genocide going on in Xinjiang, and that you had incontrovertible proof of its existence, it seems a bit callous to just dust off your hands and conclude that "you won" without ever having actually done anything, or even delivered any measure of justice to the victims, or accountability to the alleged perpetrators

hell, wouldn't you be looking for similarly incontrovertible proof that the genocide was over? find a witness willing to say that they're NOT forcibly sterilizing women anymore? if you truly thought that the Chinese government was engaged in some kind of massive cover-up of the thing while it was going on, and indeed assume that anyone you talked to that said otherwise was being coerced, wouldn't you think that any kind of draw-down or withdrawal from the project was also some kind of ruse?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

They expect rolling blackouts to begin in 3 days and for them to last 5-6 months.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Doctor Jeep posted:

"it's nostalgia, rose tinted glasses" and "they're old and stupid" is the usual spiel

lol yep, I said I was born in the USSR so they changed it to "too young to remember the horror" etc

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Like colonizer, like colony

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you honestly and genuinely believed that there was some kind of genocide going on in Xinjiang, and that you had incontrovertible proof of its existence, it seems a bit callous to just dust off your hands and conclude that "you won" without ever having actually done anything, or even delivered any measure of justice to the victims, or accountability to the alleged perpetrators

hell, wouldn't you be looking for similarly incontrovertible proof that the genocide was over? find a witness willing to say that they're NOT forcibly sterilizing women anymore? if you truly thought that the Chinese government was engaged in some kind of massive cover-up of the thing while it was going on, and indeed assume that anyone you talked to that said otherwise was being coerced, wouldn't you think that any kind of draw-down or withdrawal from the project was also some kind of ruse?

the whole ~discourse~ around it was genuinely really weird. There was a Holocaust 2: Xinjiang Boogaloo going on but the solution is...to...say 'hey...quit it'? Like, the thing we were supposed to want the US to do was just 'condemn and acknowledge' it? This may be the ol family background coloring things but if I thought a new Holocaust was happening I'd want the railways bombed and poo poo at the very least!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

They have started to shift to "cultural genocide" again.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

the whole ~discourse~ around it was genuinely really weird. There was a Holocaust 2: Xinjiang Boogaloo going on but the solution is...to...say 'hey...quit it'? Like, the thing we were supposed to want the US to do was just 'condemn and acknowledge' it? This may be the ol family background coloring things but if I thought a new Holocaust was happening I'd want the railways bombed and poo poo at the very least!

In the past twenty years when has the West ever responded to an ongoing genocide like that, from Darfur to Rohingya.

Even Rojava and the plight of the Yezidi was just cover for Syrian Civil War meddling.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lol, at least a chunk of people in the millenial age range can claim to have been born in the USSR.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

They have started to shift to "cultural genocide" again.

regardless! if China was "merely" doing a cultural genocide, the demolition of mosques, the forcible eradication of Uighur language, Sinicization, the aforementioned sterilization of women, without crossing the line into mass murder, it's still something that demands further investigation if, at this point, you believe that they've... stopped

and the West still wasn't the one that managed to pressure them into doing it, even if you could prove that they did!

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Much like the Hu Jintao government's eviction of 2 million impoverished people in Beijing for the 2008 Olympics, the cultural genocide being done was merely event planning preparations in advance of the 110th anniversary of the Xinhai Revolution. Now that the festivities has come and gone, it's back to business as usual.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

https://twitter.com/andraydomise/status/1447734041797595138?s=20

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Is there anyone still banned for genocide denial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
seems like someone finally realized there was no actual way to win with where this rhetorical game of chicken would inevitably lead and everyone else is figuring out a way to save face