Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I use a squat ball jar with a clamp closure though now that I know there's a whole dang accessory just for salt I'm intrigued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I use a salt grinder, apparently like an idiot.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I use the tiny tupperware that has no other use because what else can it hold, four olives

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Internet Explorer posted:

I guess it depends on if you need sea salt or kosher salt. Sometimes the coarseness matters too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Internet Explorer posted:

Salt grinder is good if you wash your hands a lot like I do

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I used a delitainer for ages, then I got some little cocettes for Christmas last year that have taken that role so that they can be on display.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I use small 3 ounce glass

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I excrete it from my nasal glands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G6ZL0fbLHQ

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Emile Henry salt pig works great. No clumping or salt contamination issues, looks nice.

Bee House stuff is nice though, I have a few of their teapots.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
The one I use came from Yamazaki home, it works great and holds a a pretty generous amount of salt. I also have the sugar one and they make a cute matching pair. No hinged lid type situation though, much like the other poster I just take the lid off when I start cooking and then put it back when I'm done.

https://theyamazakihome.com/products/tosca-ceramic-canister-salt

They also have a smaller, "butter dish" that would work just as well for salt I would imagine.

https://theyamazakihome.com/collections/kitchen/products/tosca-butter-dish

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My girlfriend got me the Emile Henry salt pig as a gift

It's lovely (esp since I work in MEP design and it looks just like a ceramic pipe) but at ~$40 it's a little ridic. Awesome lil extravagant gift for anyone you know who is using a delitainer though

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Any one have experience with lower carb rice cookers? My research seems to indicate they aren't some kind of magic bullet but there are some benefits. Plus it can't hurt right? And the cookers have regular settings too.

Was looking at this Toshiba one:
https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Digital-Programmable-Multi-functional-Cooker/dp/B091TLKF2H/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bamhand posted:

Any one have experience with lower carb rice cookers? My research seems to indicate they aren't some kind of magic bullet but there are some benefits. Plus it can't hurt right? And the cookers have regular settings too.

Was looking at this Toshiba one:
https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Digital-Programmable-Multi-functional-Cooker/dp/B091TLKF2H/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

I've never heard of low carb rice. But this from the description of that cooker made me laugh:

Toshiba posted:

(NOTE: The rice soup in the inner pot will contain high sugar content, people with high blood sugar please do not drink it.)

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
wtf is low carb rice, is that like ground beef or smthin

mystes
May 31, 2006

bamhand posted:

lower carb rice cookers
What

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Probably the cookers that will attempt to sprout the rice????

mystes
May 31, 2006

Apparently it has a basket that allegedly filters out some types of starch or something?

Unless you're diabetic and you have actually tested that this helps control your blood sugar levels or something I'm a bit skeptical.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The trick to making low carb rice is it's just regular rice but you make less of it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
That seems essentially it. The water soluble carbs get washed/drained out a bit. So you end up with less rice. It's not going to make rice good for you but theoretically it should be a little less bad.

It's essentially just a basket the rice sits in as it cooks I figure it can't hurt right?

bamhand fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 12, 2021

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
goon-made salt pigs posted quite recently in SA mart: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3981712

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
You should be washing your rice before cooking it anyway. If you are reducing carbs because you are diabetic or have some other metabolic disorder then get brown rice and use a Zojirushi cooker with a setting for brown rice.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I use the tiny tupperware that has no other use because what else can it hold, four olives

Three olives needs an entire condo in Miami so I can't imagine a tiny Tupperware container holding him plus one more.

God that was a tortured joke. I'm sorry.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Does anyone use one of those handheld milk frothers that look just like weird circular whisks for anything other than frothing milk? I've been noticing a lot of my favorite youtube cooks use that poo poo for seemingly everything, a lot of stuff you would use an immersion belnder for but when you don't need to actually chop anything. Anyone have any good recommendations for one?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Skyarb posted:

Does anyone use one of those handheld milk frothers that look just like weird circular whisks for anything other than frothing milk? I've been noticing a lot of my favorite youtube cooks use that poo poo for seemingly everything, a lot of stuff you would use an immersion belnder for but when you don't need to actually chop anything. Anyone have any good recommendations for one?

Mixing anything light it tends to work. Occasionally you don't have enough liquid to use the immersion blender but want to mix something quickly (flour and gravy). I don't know that I've seen upscale ones, I just have a cheap one and it works fine. If there's a good one with a rechargable battery I'd be interested.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Whipped cream works wonderfully unless you're making a huge batch

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The $2 Ikea one is lightweight but works well for light applications like frothing milk and mixing cocoa powder into cocoa. Probably works for gravy powder, not sure if I'd use it for real gravy. I've tried it for whipped cream and the thing is, it can do small batches, but with small batches, most of it ends up spattered on the sides of the cup.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

guppy posted:

So far the one I like is $35 and I am hoping to convince my wife to get it anyway unless someone has a better suggestion.

Claim you only spent $25 for the gift exchange, and another $10 on a gnocchi board as an unrelated gift :v:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i love my zero japan mugs

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Does anybody have recommendations for a continuous feed food mill? Manual or electric is fine. After a summer of pushing tomatoes through sieves with spoons and the threat of another crop next year I’ve decided to just throw money at the problem.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

barkbell posted:

i love my zero japan mugs

Hey I like the look of these, which one do you have/like? Are they ceramic?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Does anyone have any suggestions/preferences when it comes to egg cooking rings? I've been using my electric griddle a lot more lately for breakfasts since it does such an incredible job on pancakes/bacon/french toast/etc, but my counter tops are not remotely level. So whenever it gets to the egg cooking stage of preparing breakfast, they just slide all around/spread out and they end up super sloppy instead of being cooked perfectly because of this. Most of the metal ones I'm seeing on amazon seem to have lots of bad reviews about build quality/welds failing/paint flaking off/etc and then most of the silicone one seem to have complains about not being round or flat, eggs leaking, overall being cheap and useless, so it'd be great if anyone has some first hand experience with ones that actually work well. Would I maybe be better off getting some of those restaurant quality stainless steel ring molds that they use for plating up stuff in perfect little circles?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

100% Dundee posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions/preferences when it comes to egg cooking rings? I've been using my electric griddle a lot more lately for breakfasts since it does such an incredible job on pancakes/bacon/french toast/etc, but my counter tops are not remotely level. So whenever it gets to the egg cooking stage of preparing breakfast, they just slide all around/spread out and they end up super sloppy instead of being cooked perfectly because of this. Most of the metal ones I'm seeing on amazon seem to have lots of bad reviews about build quality/welds failing/paint flaking off/etc and then most of the silicone one seem to have complains about not being round or flat, eggs leaking, overall being cheap and useless, so it'd be great if anyone has some first hand experience with ones that actually work well. Would I maybe be better off getting some of those restaurant quality stainless steel ring molds that they use for plating up stuff in perfect little circles?

I do my Round Eggs in a buttered ramakin in the air fryer. I know it's not directly the answer you're looking for but it's very fast and easy.

In your situation I'd try putting something on top of the rings (making sure you don't scratch the nonstick) to weight them down, give a better deal to the cooking surface, and stop them from moving. Small plate? Obviously this might keep steam on the top of the egg also.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've had mixed success using stainless biscuit cutting rings but I think you need to spray them with some nonstick so the eggs don't cling to the edges

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've used these before. They worked fine. I tried to clean them or put them in water right away, otherwise they were a pain to clean.

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Breakfast-Sandwiches-Mcmuffin-Multicolor/dp/B07ZSCS4NB

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

I've had mixed success using stainless biscuit cutting rings but I think you need to spray them with some nonstick so the eggs don't cling to the edges

I tried this last week and it was a fuckin disaster and a half.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

I do this all the time non stick spray or some butter:btroll: smeared around the inside and place it so the rolled edge is against the pan and it works every time.

Bonus is if you have a whole set of them you can customize your egg size to your biscuits or English muffins or whatever.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
just hold your hands tightly in a circle with the eggs on the pan easy peasy and generates a wonderful aroma

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Thumposaurus posted:

I do this all the time non stick spray or some butter:btroll: smeared around the inside and place it so the rolled edge is against the pan and it works every time.

Okay this may be the pro move. Thanks for this tip.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

We've got silicone rings and even when they're not perfectly level (Gotta position them precisely or the edge of my pan will smush them) they generally still help keep most of the egg in the spot I want it. A lid to keep steam in helps too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Alternatively, buy a tiny nonstick pan just for a single fried egg. Its pretty convenient, tbh. I got a 5” nonstick off Amazon a few years ago for ~$7 that I use all the time for putting fried eggs on top of everything I eat

Eg. Gotham Steel Mini Egg and Omelet Pan with Ultra Nonstick Titanium & Ceramic Coating - 5.5", Dishwasher Safe, Stay Cool Handle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07876YC1K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_E700BX0C9V6S22AN1D7V