Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Time to play some more metroid I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Has anyone ever pointed out that fastest/best way to kill Kraid in the NES Metroid was to just morphball inside him and plant a bunch of bombs

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Kotaku posted about it, yes. I'm not good enough to sequence break yet.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Waffle! posted:

Kotaku posted about it, yes. I'm not good enough to sequence break yet.

This might motivate you: :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3tvwSBx3l0

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I literally have no idea how people can competently wrangle this games controls. I find aiming with precision impossible and holding l1 all of the time legit hurts my hand. I’ve been stuck as hell on Kraid. I just cannot juggle holding 3 buttons, aiming and trying to avoid projectiles at the same time. I’ve never been this frustrated with a games controls in my life.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

RC Cola posted:

That’s my next plan. I started fusion but had to stop and then never picked it back up.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Pretty sure I got to the final boss. Haven't fought them yet, decided to backtrack.

If there's one thing I'm disappointed by, it's the visual design of the bosses. They are all kinda samey. Nothing as body horror-y as Draygon or Nightmare, or even as memorable as Prime 1 and 2's bosses.

Will definitely be checking some Youtube videos soon because some of the puzzles make absolutely no sense to me.

I think I would also like more upgrades than missile tanks. I enjoy that this game went with Prime's idea of having an upgrade that uses multiple missiles, which makes them more valuable than in other 2D games, but I wish there was some more optional stuff. Maybe small defence or attack boosts, or something.

Despite me having some complaints, this is one hell of a game. Please Nintendo, show off Prime 4 trailers already. It's been 3 years, so you have to have something!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I literally have no idea how people can competently wrangle this games controls. I find aiming with precision impossible and holding l1 all of the time legit hurts my hand. I’ve been stuck as hell on Kraid. I just cannot juggle holding 3 buttons, aiming and trying to avoid projectiles at the same time. I’ve never been this frustrated with a games controls in my life.

They’re the same controls as Samus Returns, so sone people are used to them. I feel like menu switching should have been an option setting. It is kinda absurd, snd you muscle memory has fits when it changes

End spoiler I died in the final scene after the escape because i thought it worked like killing EMMIs. Me secret shame

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RC Cola posted:

why does your nintendo switch have a camera on the front

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

the final boss…

I didn't notice that. That's neat, even though it just raises more questions.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

They’re the same controls as Samus Returns, so sone people are used to them. I feel like menu switching should have been an option setting. It is kinda absurd, snd you muscle memory has fits when it changes

End spoiler I died in the final scene after the escape because i thought it worked like killing EMMIs. Me secret shame

lol same I just held L and R and was like "oh I guess they're making it a really slow charge up to build tension"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Calidus posted:

- The setting seemed kinda generic

Agreeing with this, and adding that I hope that MercurySteam gets to do another. I feel like for their first original game they did the thing that Retro did where they relied heavily on "forest area, lava area, water area, enemy base" thing in Prime, getting only really creative with the ice zone. Then Prime 2 came out and had way more interesting and beautiful locales overall, in my opinion - hopefully MercurySteam gets a similar chance.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

sourdough posted:

lol same I just held L and R and was like "oh I guess they're making it a really slow charge up to build tension"

Thank you for your confession
I thought it was some good gamer secret that all good gamers know

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

sourdough posted:

I also did this and felt very sheepish afterwards.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I did the same drat thing, you are not alone.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

RC Cola posted:

fwiw, my Expert Metroid Opinion of having burned through 3 games since Friday: Zero Mission -> AM2R -> Super Metroid -> Fusion is a good time (and Super's on the eShop SNES app).

I'm in Fusion now, and (extremely mild mechanical/setup spoilers that are probably in the first paragraph of the Wikipedia entry) the "linear" nature is kind of a welcome change of pace, though I could imagine it being a let down if you had waited eight years since Super Metroid. The conceit of regaining all your powers also feels pretty good after playing those past games, like, I know exactly how powerful Samus is with all that poo poo and I can see why I wouldn't want to face SA-X until I have it. that said, I wish this game had way loving fewer words. sounds like Other M tried to quintuple down on this one's storytelling, and everyone rejecting it may have been the thing that got Samus Returns/Dread right back on track?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Bleck posted:

Agreeing with this, and adding that I hope that MercurySteam gets to do another. I feel like for their first original game they did the thing that Retro did where they relied heavily on "forest area, lava area, water area, enemy base" thing in Prime, getting only really creative with the ice zone. Then Prime 2 came out and had way more interesting and beautiful locales overall, in my opinion - hopefully MercurySteam gets a similar chance.
i thought the setting felt way more creative than this. like for one it has a pretty good sense of place, it's clearly a bunch of video game levels but they put a lot of effort into giving the impression that the places you explore actually served some purpose and people lived there once (which cannot be said for, say, samus returns which is just a completely meaningless set of twisty caves and corridors) and they pointedly did not just do generic lava area and generic water area, they put a bit of a twist on them too

i thought it was actually the best world a metroid game has had, like easily

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 12, 2021

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Man. Dread was a good loving game and I hope the Metroid suit shows up later in the series and also maybe in Smash.

Hell Raven Beak for Smash 6.

Amppelix posted:

i thought the setting felt way more creative than this. like for one it has a pretty good sense of place, it's clearly a bunch of video game levels but they put a lot of effort into giving the illusion that the places you explore actually served some purpose and people lived there once (which cannot be said for, say, samus returns which is just a completely meaningless set of twisty caves and corridors) and they pointedly did not just do generic lava area and generic water area, they put a bit of a twist on them too

i thought it was actually the best world a metroid game has had, like easily

Admittedly SR2388 was mostly natural cave system with a few small outposts set up by the Chozo and GF.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
AM2R shows how far you can go in making SR388 feel more like a varied place and not just a bunch of caves, but yeah Samus Returns stuck closer to the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OcdtXdoFGI&t=897s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WkEoYvlUF0&t=310s

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 12, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

admittedly not the best example but i was trying to say that (2d) metroid hasn't really ever even tried to make its environments anything more than video game levels before dread and dread totally nailed making zdr feel like a place instead

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

yeah it was kind of neat looking in the backgrounds of all the 15ft jumps in the game and seeing stairs for regular people who don't have jump jets in their power suits

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Okay, most bosses in this game might not be that memorable visually, but the final boss is THE COOLEST FIGHT IN ANY METROID.
The cutscene before it with the twist is very eh, who cares. But I do enjoy the fact that ADAM wasn't himself, because, yeah, he called her by name. I found that weird but didn't connect the two
Have to put down the game because I can't beat the thing yet.

Edit: by the way, am I missing something? Quiet Robe was nowhere to be seen after X overtook it, and what happened to that thing that was dead in the lab? It was gone, but I'm not entirely sure if it came back as a boss, because, yeah, the design wasn't really memorable...

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 12, 2021

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

RC Cola posted:

I want the Prime trilogy on Switch so badly it's unreal.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

JordanKai posted:

I want the Prime trilogy on Switch so badly it's unreal.

Yes

I think the mainline Metroid games are great but Prime is my absolute favorite and Dread has me hyped for more Prime up to my eyeballs

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

How long has it been since the first "rumors" about a Prime trilogy for Switch? Three years?

Answering myself: Early 2018 is when people were first discussing it, lol. The torture never ends.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Make Prime for Labo, cowards

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lemming posted:

Make Prime for Labo, cowards

Make Prime 4 control exclusively with the Ring Fit.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Vookatos posted:

Okay, most bosses in this game might not be that memorable visually, but the final boss is THE COOLEST FIGHT IN ANY METROID.
The cutscene before it with the twist is very eh, who cares. But I do enjoy the fact that ADAM wasn't himself, because, yeah, he called her by name. I found that weird but didn't connect the two
Have to put down the game because I can't beat the thing yet.

Edit: by the way, am I missing something? Quiet Robe was nowhere to be seen after X overtook it, and what happened to that thing that was dead in the lab? It was gone, but I'm not entirely sure if it came back as a boss, because, yeah, the design wasn't really memorable...

Quiet Robe shows up in the ending cutscene, did you skip it?

I think the monster getting operated on became the generator room boss after getting X'd

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
i 100% disagree with the environments feeling interesting other than the relatively intact chozo ceremonial areas which are new for the series

industrial area + element is not particularly new or interesting, and the lack of a "central" path that you become familiar with in each zone makes it hard to have any impact when they do the other one of two interesting environment things in freezing over the starting area, which would be way more interesting if you spent more than like 15 minutes there exploring

all in all I think I like the game but I don't think I really like it as a metroid game, if that makes any sense

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Imo if the developers want to try out their new movement and weapon design in a more stereotypically metroid design then release a more inventive one later, I'm fine with that. I had fun with what they made, and really there are probably a huge number of people playing whose knowledge of Samus starts and ends with Smash Bros. I don't remember Samus Returns being pushed nearly as hard as Dread.

Besides, I would say that they did put in a brand new type of zone, the EMMI zones. Good or bad, they are something new. And as is tradition in this series, the ice level was a standout.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Naturally now that I'm in the mood for Metroid games I'd like to revisit the others that I've not played for ages. Super Metroid is on the SNES emulator thing on Switch Online, I assume OG Metroid is on the NES version too... but for Zero Mission, Fusion and especially AM2R it seems I'm gonna need to emulate.

Is there a "safe" way to run emulators on Switch (i.e. without getting turbo-banned from any Switch Online stuff), or am I gonna be stuck digging out my PSP/DS to play those? I did see someone with a home screen full of Metroid earlier in this thread but I don't know enough about Switch hacking to know if it's one of those "...and finally, never ever connect to the internet ever again or they'll brick the console remotely" situations.

Not a huge problem either way I guess, but the Switch is such a good console I'd much prefer to play them all on there instead of the DS/PSP tbh.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Surprise T Rex posted:

Naturally now that I'm in the mood for Metroid games I'd like to revisit the others that I've not played for ages. Super Metroid is on the SNES emulator thing on Switch Online, I assume OG Metroid is on the NES version too... but for Zero Mission, Fusion and especially AM2R it seems I'm gonna need to emulate.

Is there a "safe" way to run emulators on Switch (i.e. without getting turbo-banned from any Switch Online stuff), or am I gonna be stuck digging out my PSP/DS to play those? I did see someone with a home screen full of Metroid earlier in this thread but I don't know enough about Switch hacking to know if it's one of those "...and finally, never ever connect to the internet ever again or they'll brick the console remotely" situations.

Not a huge problem either way I guess, but the Switch is such a good console I'd much prefer to play them all on there instead of the DS/PSP tbh.

Not to spoil the surprise but that post was a picture of the WiiU tablet, which does have those games for download on its shop.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mr. Maggy posted:

industrial area + element is not particularly new or interesting

I thought the industrial lava level was pretty blah, but the storm-wracked and leaking underwater lab isn't something you see too often in games. They probably should have leaned into it even harder though. Same with the research lab in Dairon; they should've leaned into that more.

Also I think putting an EMMI area in the middle of most zones diluted a lot of their identity since all the EMMI zones look basically the same.

Edit: Putting random and out-of-place hot and cold areas in every zone probably didn't help either. Artaria in particular suffers from having no identity whatsoever, it's a random set of unrelated rooms.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 12, 2021

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Clarste posted:

I thought the industrial lava level was pretty blah, but the storm-wracked and leaking underwater lab isn't something you see too often in games. They probably should have leaned into it even harder though. Same with the research lab in Dairon; they should've leaned into that more.

Also I think putting an EMMI area in the middle of most zones diluted a lot of their idea since all the EMMI zones look basically the same.

arriving at burenia really blew me away, especially after lowering my expectations from hearing comments in this thread about how all the areas are same-y

i've been playing this a lot during the workday and i'm still probably only halfway

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Was there ever a weapon upgrade less useful than the cross bomb? It was used to get out of the room you found it in and then it was just scattered upgrade puzzles past that

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 12, 2021

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CuddleCryptid posted:

Was there ever a weapon upgrade less useful than the cross bomb? It was used to get out of the room you found it in and then it was just scattered upgrade puzzles past that

The power bombs? Used only to get more power bombs.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I'm gonna try to 100% this without looking anything up but some of these speed block puzzles are gonna push me over the edge I think.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

lets hang out posted:

The power bombs? Used only to get more power bombs.

Power bombs are amazing against the final boss.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

The areas feel about as different as you could expect from the genre, the art design was amazing. what's missing here - and I still think this game is probably the best in the genre - is a kind of textural variation, of natural intuitive pathing and more meandering navigation. it's all just too dense and mazy, especially with the design of crossing over EMMI areas multiple times. It takes forever to navigate through the map to hunt for secrets and I could never hope to mentally map a path from one place to another, it was all staring at the map to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
https://youtu.be/hSusXnaOh7Q

At 2:10 this is how I got this missile tank as well. But what is the point of the little room to the left of the speed block chute?