Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

gregday posted:

Target also has pet costumes

I cannot imagine how much blood I would lose trying to put these on my cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

gregday posted:

Target also has pet costumes

Well I guess I know what I need to add to my wife's Target shopping list now.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Aw yeah.

And it came with paperwork to authenticate Aykroyd’s signature.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I scored a Rubies Proton Pack on amazon for £90 thanks to the advice here, thanks! I know that isn't cheap but compared to some of the prices elsewhere I was happy to bite the bullet, just need to work out what to mod it with now. I assume putting my spengler wand on it is going to be trickier than it looks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Spengler wand comes with a plug for the end so you can connect the pack tube up, but you won’t be able to wire any of the electronics together.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I scored a Rubies Proton Pack on amazon for £90 thanks to the advice here, thanks! I know that isn't cheap but compared to some of the prices elsewhere I was happy to bite the bullet, just need to work out what to mod it with now. I assume putting my spengler wand on it is going to be trickier than it looks.

As the Doc said, the Spengler wand had an attachment for the battery cap that more or less fits the Spirit/Ruby tube. I just used a zip tie to tighten it. I picked up a 3D printed v-hook and used that to fix the wand to the pack.

The Ruby/Spirit packs have wiring in their wand, but it seems to be stuck in there with Elmer's glue, so it you can pop the lights, switches, and wires out of the plastic pretty easily. After dismantling the Ruby wand, I snaked most of the wires back through the tube, but left the activation button exposed. So now I can hit the lights on my pack, and use the Spengler wand effects!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I want to get a magnet v-hook if such a thing exists

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The_Doctor posted:

I want to get a magnet v-hook if such a thing exists

The v-hooks are pretty strong as it is, i've never seen a wand fall off one so I don't know what a magnet would add. Unless you're just talking about a pure magnet on the pack and wand so they snap together? I guess sufficient neodymium magnets would be strong enough, but I would think that would just leave me perpetually nervous its going to fall off and shatter on the ground if jostled unexpectedly or catching on something.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Magnets are great! Haven’t had any problems of the wand disconnecting, and it makes over the shoulder holstering not an absolute pain.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Afterlife was shown at NYCC today/tonight, and it's getting rave reviews or at least twitter reactions already.

I doubt I'll be able to see it in theatres. gently caress.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I’ve been weathering my pack this week as it was just far too clean and pure black. I hit it with a bunch of washes, brown and orange and rust colors, threw a bunch of Fullers Earth dust on it and hit some edges with a Molotow chrome marker.

It has a good base patina of dirt and grime, but I’d really like to get it closer to this one I found on the RPF:

And while I’d like my pack to be closer to this finish, I don’t think I can bring myself to do to it what it would need to get there. :(

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I got your back. I’ll gladly beat the poo poo out of your pack for you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I like the new additions, looks more greebly.

https://twitter.com/ghostbusters/status/1446161712025989122

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

gregday posted:

I’ve been weathering my pack this week as it was just far too clean and pure black. I hit it with a bunch of washes, brown and orange and rust colors, threw a bunch of Fullers Earth dust on it and hit some edges with a Molotow chrome marker.

It has a good base patina of dirt and grime, but I’d really like to get it closer to this one I found on the RPF:

And while I’d like my pack to be closer to this finish, I don’t think I can bring myself to do to it what it would need to get there. :(

I think you have a really good weathering going on on that pack, it looks great. Its obviously personal preference but I think its easy to over weather it and that second picture looks overly done to me, I think yours is in a better spot.

The one thing that stands out really heavily though is the grips on the wand, they look too clean for something handled all the time. The original screen ones were made of a brown/orangey resin then painted black, so they showed a lot of orange/brown wear on them:

My brother used a rag to rub on some rust colored gilder's wax (https://www.amazon.com/Gilders-Paste-Wax-canister-gilders/dp/B07B7FFXQ8), to add some of that worn effect to the grips that worked pretty well:

If you do try some of that it can come hard and dry and you might need to use a little bit of paint thinner to get it pliable, but it can also work well to add some rust and grime into the cracks and crevices elsewhere.

Overall though I think you weathering looks great, and honestly it looks a lot better to me than that second picture you posted.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Yeah I’m probably going to swap out the grips for the orange resin ones from GBfans, paint them black, then run down the edges to expose the orange a bit.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
I can’t thank this thread enough for reminding me that the Spengler wand existed a month or so ago. Holy poo poo is this thing fun!

Every time I hold this damned thing in my hands and fire it up, I can hear my inner eight year-old self cheering with pure joy.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Please to see Afterlife is getting positive responses. I sensed that the knives were out for it a bit, so I was curious to see if that pessimism carried over into the reviews, but it seems it is largely being well received.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Oh my god

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It was Janosz!

That’s great, and a lot of fun.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Nightmare edit crosspost

gregday
May 23, 2003

Third trailer has leaked. Warning: there are a couple of plot points in here that could be viewed as spoilers.

https://twitter.com/GBAfterlife/status/1447568930772602894

Chills when the song starts

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

gregday posted:

Third trailer has leaked. Warning: there are a couple of plot points in here that could be viewed as spoilers.

https://twitter.com/GBAfterlife/status/1447568930772602894

Chills when the song starts

I need this in the proper format. Holy poo poo.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I need this in the proper format. Holy poo poo.
I'm... underwhelmed? I knew from earlier reveals that it would involve Gozer again, but this was like a checklist of familiar things from the first movie. Slimer-alike, check. Marshmallow Men, now in handy Gremlin form, check. Terror Dog, check. And the reveals of the various bits of 'buster hardware may as well have had [pause for audience cheer] after them in the script.

But maybe it'll be great and like the original, the film will be funnier than the trailer.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Payndz posted:

But maybe it'll be great and like the original, the film will be funnier than the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hDkhw5Wkas

This isn't the worst trailer I've ever seen but drat you weren't kidding.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Charles Bramesco gave the film a terrible 1 star review in The Guardian where he calls it "a slimy, stinking corpse of a sequel" mostly because he is shocked and appalled that the studio lowered itself to obvious fanservice and leaned super hard on the nostalgia button. He was incredibly annoyed that the rest of the audience in the viewing he attended loved it so much:

quote:

Every time another anti-spectral doohickey first appeared on screen, it was met with orgasmic roars of excitement from the audience. Same goes for the awestruck glimpses of the old car, the old costumes, some of the old dialogue, and the rest of the myriad nods to Ivan Reitman’s canonized blockbuster. His son Jason, the director who announced a desire to see his installment launch a whole universe of Ghostbusters content during his pre-screening panel, aspires to little more than this deadened rat-pulls-lever pleasure of recognition. His approach banks on a sycophancy proved reliable in real time at the Javits Center, that the automatic delight of knowing what things are will supersede the need for the humor or smart-rear end charm that initially made Ghostbusters worth watching. At the box office, this underhanded tack may very well pay dividends. This is for the fans, after all, but a peculiar breed of fan more interested in identifying objects than what’s done with them.
Those sycophants!!! Have the gall to enjoy a film !!!

A warning: that review has a HUGE spoiler at the end

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That reviewer can go to hell. There’s a pretty negative av club review that’s just as negative but not nearly written so smugly.

The av club one sounds like what I feared but I’ll see it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Oh no, it has nostalgic bits for a movie that it's a direct sequel to and most of the audience grew up loving. What fiends.

I mean... There's not much someone could say to make me not want to see a new Ghostbusters movie/tv show/cartoon/etc. for myself.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

There does seem to be an angry implication in that review, and in the discourse leading up to this film, where Afterlife is rewarding toxic fan culture. Fan culture can be pretty gross and all the entitled whining from adult men about the 2016 film was deeply pathetic (which I still maintain is a fine, if unexceptional film). But I think the idea that this film is ripping Ghostbusters out the hands of young girls and giving it to the gross losers who were militantly* against the idea of the 2016 film might be a little off base? As far as I can see from some of the reviews the MVP of this film is in fact a young girl so it's probably not the film those guys would ideally want. That review does seem to come from a really elitist place, it's always bad form when your review stops criticising the film and starts criticising the prospective audience who may enjoy it. As for the nostalgic elements, I'm curious, it could come off as an inventive examination/expansion of the 84s film's story, or just empty "look at this" pandering. I'm hoping it's the former.

*So that's the people furious about the very idea of the film, not just people who didn't like it for the myriad sensible reasons why one would dislike a film.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Karloff posted:

There does seem to be an angry implication in that review, and in the discourse leading up to this film, where Afterlife is rewarding toxic fan culture.

He does more than imply it, he says it outright. :ssh:

Guardian review posted:

It’s pandering all the way down, the shocking part being the variety of Reitman’s ploys. It’s not all groaners like a cop offering a jailed-for-the-night Trevor the phone and asking, "Who you gonna call?” There’s the set piece with cutesy, nattering mini-Stay-Pufts scratching the itch for cloying mischief-makers planted by the Minions. Consider the casual cowardice of a script that uses its own mythology to subtly erase 2016’s all-gals reboot from the canon, giving the rage-choked trolls carpet-bombing IMDb with zero-star ratings the vindication they’ve always craved. Even the championing of scientific expertise comes off as overreaching and aggrieved, from Grooberson’s declaration that science is “punk” to the smug superiority of the pint-sized Phoebe. The message is clear, as are its intended recipients: there’s nothing more powerful, important or cool than being a nerd.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

That is odd. That implies that the 2016 was another sequel that has been "erased" by this one. But it never was, it was a straight up hard reboot, so I don't how the script of this one could erase the 2016 film because by definition it was never in continuity. I wonder what he's referring to?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Karloff posted:

That is odd. That implies that the 2016 was another sequel that has been "erased" by this one. But it never was, it was a straight up hard reboot, so I don't how the script of this one could erase the 2016 film because by definition it was never in continuity. I wonder what he's referring to?

I think he's just bad at his job, and is referencing something incorrectly. He misremembers that ATC wasn't a sequel.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Christ. If it’s a reboot that means it’s exactly not canon.

Way to understand nothing :psyduck:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
It is sounding like 2016 took sort of a “college graduate is embarrassed about her dad even if friends find him kinda cool” vibe as opposed to 2021’s “granddaughter finds out her grandpa is super-cool only after he’s dead”, so I can see how someone invested in the 2016 film could read this one as a repudiation and ignore that the demographics of our new team are pretty much “diversity 101” (though not quite as good as Extreme Ghostbusters). Reading 2021 as lazy without noticing the different forms of laziness in 2016 is a bit odd, too.

Being able to tell the difference between nerds and toxic nerds would seem like an important skill for a critic, and complaining about movies pandering to nerds while obviously being unaware you are one isn’t a good look, either.

IMX, pretentious people are especially skilled at not noticing their own mistakes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am just concerned because a lot of the positive reviews remind me of The Force Awakens in that it is a good film because it is reverent and nostalgic and not because it stands on its own two legs.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I am just concerned because a lot of the positive reviews remind me of The Force Awakens in that it is a good film because it is reverent and nostalgic and not because it stands on its own two legs.

I read a review that talked about how good it stood on its own, with good character development, jokes, dialogue, and (additional) world building. They said that the Easter eggs are there for the true fans, but don't get in the way of a non-fan to enjoy the film as well.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I like Ghostbusters 2. Just give me something on par with that. I'm not that hard to please.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

The reviews are sounding more and more like it's just an homage, or a love letter to the first film.
"Hey guys, remember Ghostbusters? That was a good film, wasn't it?"
Sounds utterly uninteresting.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

text me a vag pic posted:

I like Ghostbusters 2. Just give me something on par with that. I'm not that hard to please.
I adore Ghostbusters 2. I don't get people's problems with it at all. If this is as good as that, I'll be pleased as punch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just saw a tweet about Jason Latimer showing off how to make a ghost hologram or something.

The official tweet mentions that it's of a ghost featured in the movie.

That ghost is apparently Bug Eye, like the Kenner toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I read a review that talked about how good it stood on its own, with good character development, jokes, dialogue, and (additional) world building. They said that the Easter eggs are there for the true fans, but don't get in the way of a non-fan to enjoy the film as well.

Yeah, I was feeling The Force Awakens vibes from the reviews too.

I thought that was a really enjoyable film that deliberately took A New Hope as a template but then used it as a springboard to move the franchise in some interesting new directions with The Last Jedi. I’d be happy if Afterlife does something similar.

(Please ignore that elephant sitting in our midst. Their name is Rise of Skywalker and they’re volatile).