Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I've only seen masks painted by the vendor; I don't know if a home-painted sabre mask would work as the paint might make the connection fail.

If the masking tape is taking the paint off, let the paint dry longer (at least overnight) before using it. You also might try a different tape. Tamiya tape is a yellow hobby tape sold at model/hobby shops that might work better for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Awesome. A little touch-up fixed the foil mask, and I copied a video from Leon Paul for the sabre mask that has them painting thin layers from quite side-on angles, and quickly wiping the front of the mesh before the paint dries too much. I think I haven't really compromised the conductivity - it's hard to see in my crappy photo but all the front-most bits of mesh are totally clean on their front surfaces. That and I'm too old and bad at sabre to go to a comp where they might care, foil's my main and you real sabreurs would be disgusted to see my weird awkward marching attack.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

That is sick, I love it!

Real sabeurs? I'm probably older and slower than you.

I'm starting to become a bit disillusioned with sabre myself. It seems like 90% of the action is in the box, and that's just a game of rock-scissors-paper I play against kids who are faster than me. I've been doing foil instead for a few weeks; I'm not good, but it has a lot more of the back and forth phrases that I prefer.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
whats the state of wireless scoring for fencing today?

the last time i looked into it (2015), there seemed to be few options. today, there seems to be many options!

https://enpointefencing.com/
https://calibur.ai/
https://www.absolutefencinggear.com/shopping/product_info.php/products_id/1234
https://www.leonpaulusa.com/three-weapon-wireless-fencing-set-7487.html

But are they any good? Can't imagine wanting to bother with the reels and long wires if wireless is a good option.

helperdog
Oct 10, 2021

DOG

hi i am new here, can someone recommend me a really good pocket knife? my mom said im not allowed to carry one but i think it will be cool if i carry a pocket knife sometimes, or at least put it on my belt and wear it around the house in case an intruder alerts.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Listen to your mom.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

You don’t need to carry a knife, we think you are cool without one. You can trust us, we’re from the Internet.

Re foil vs sabre, the long lockout time in foil plus it being a point weapon really does let you get away with being slower/ older. At any rate i figure unless you have goals to get super competitive and win competitions, then just do whichever weapon makes you happy on any given day. I think the back and forth of foil is why I like it so much myself though :)

I’ve had a go with a couple of wireless systems, the enpointe is fairly good but I’ve seen it intermittently give out during bouts, almost like there was an internal connection that was dying. Could just have been dodgy batteries though (and also my dodgy gear too perhaps). I think I’ve also used a favero epee system, that was also good but would sometimes fail to register if we got too sweaty.
Bottom line is that both systems were ok but not as reliable as wired.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

If there was a larger adult contingent doing foil, I wouldn't mind trying it...but virtually all adults/vets are doing Epee, so I'll stick with that. (Also now having invested in fancy grips/blades, I'd better stick with it!)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I actually like foil rules but with epees just cause that little bit of extra weight has better feeling in my hand.

Or at least I think I do with the cumulative 15 minutes or whatever I’ve managed to get people to try it for over the last 20 years.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Crazy Achmed posted:

At any rate i figure unless you have goals to get super competitive and win competitions, then just do whichever weapon makes you happy on any given day.

Sure, that's about where I'm at. I have stuff for both sabre and foil, and bring both to the club - after that it's whatever I think sounds like fun that night.

I think I like the idea of sabre better, but the way the sport is - just rock/scissors/paper in the box against 15 year olds with better reflexes - I'm getting more and more okay with foil. I know I'm not going to the Olympics or anything like that, but at the same time I don't want to lose every single match.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
If you're good enough at foil and want to have fun with saber youths, try fencing saber like foil. Like, y'know, use the tip. And sometimes retreat.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

dupersaurus posted:

If you're good enough at foil and want to have fun with saber youths, try fencing saber like foil. Like, y'know, use the tip. And sometimes retreat.

:hmmyes:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Consider some historical military sabre. Whole different game with an actual blade simulator instead of a wire whip.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Liquid Communism posted:

Consider some historical military sabre. Whole different game with an actual blade simulator instead of a wire whip.

Yeah, it is great fun. So many different styles and views of how to do things.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Liquid Communism posted:

The reason I'm fencing is to support my son. He's a dedicated foil fencer; he trains constantly, fences at national competitions, and has made it to Junior Olympics twice. I fence because - well, I'm going to be at the school anyway, so I can either sit on the sidelines or get in a workout. Going to a different style isn't really an option at this point, but thanks for the suggestion!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Lucky kid to have a parent willing to put in the effort!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Cessna posted:

The reason I'm fencing is to support my son. He's a dedicated foil fencer; he trains constantly, fences at national competitions, and has made it to Junior Olympics twice. I fence because - well, I'm going to be at the school anyway, so I can either sit on the sidelines or get in a workout. Going to a different style isn't really an option at this point, but thanks for the suggestion!

That is cool and you are a cool parent.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So I'm in lockdown again, haven't fenced in ten weeks and not sure when poo poo is going to subside - this just happened last weekend AAAAUGH PEOPLE ARE SO STUPID https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/453781/long-hangover-looms-for-north-shore-party-attendees

Anyway this guy knows what's up

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Did anyone else catch the sabre GP? It was pretty wild, some great matches and unusual results. As well as Kim Junghwan being an absolute beast and making Oh look like a chump.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTf-43nW-q8

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
I haven't fenced in years but thinking of getting back into it. I only ever fenced foil and really enjoyed it but why is it that most adults' go for epee and what is it that I am missing?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Andoman posted:

I haven't fenced in years but thinking of getting back into it. I only ever fenced foil and really enjoyed it but why is it that most adults' go for epee and what is it that I am missing?
20 years ago epee was really slow compared to the other two and rewarded good positioning and extensive drilling more. Quick reflexes and fast footwork were much less valuable. Classical epee was glacial.

That is no longer the case but the perception remains.

Now, the real answer is that epee is the best, most fun weapon that only cool people do and everything else is just training wheels. :v:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I had a miserable tournament yesterday.

I showed up to fence Vet Sabre. Not enough people showed up to make it an official rated tournament - something I don't care about - but it was cancelled nonetheless.

Okay, sure, I'll fence foil in the open tournament for fun. My son was already entered, so I figured I'd take one for the team and do it.

Then the owner of the club asked me if I could fence Vet epee in order to get enough people to make their tourney official. I wasn't thrilled, but I borrowed an epee and went to it. I ended up having to rush through the pool bouts all at once and got beaten pretty badly. Then I went over to the foil pools and, having come off of four epee bouts with no break got to do four foil bouts with no break. I didn't do great; I only won one but managed to put up points in the others.

Then - well, the school does a good job of accommodating para fencers - if a wheelchair fencer enters a tournament they can opt to fence in a chair. Because I'd done poorly in epee pools I went straight into a match against a guy who had just won Para-Olympic medals in wheelchair epee. That went about as well as you'd expect; I got slaughtered.

Then I dashed over to the foil DE and, with everyone complaining that I was late, got beat up by some kid who did nothing but fleche, something I'm not used to dealing with in sabre.

I'm not happy about this.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
That certainly sounds like an eventful but frustrating day. Sorry, hoss. Your son at least have fun?

And fleche can be a surprisingly annoying little trick : I know because once upon a time I was the dumb kid who'd do it all the time when I shouldn't. If you're willing to commit to it as a technique you can get way, way more touches than you have any right to. I think it's just that it's such a dumb, overly aggressive strategy that people don't train for it as much as they should (in general, not you or sabre people in specific) : it's not like it's hard to counter, but unless you're used to it or prepared it's pretty easy to get surprised by o poo poo this guy is just bum rushing me with a sword aaaaah.

It's a little like fool's mate in chess. It's super effective in a narrow little window and then everyone knows the trick and can shut it down trivially.

Also I'd be fascinated to hear more about fencing against an opponent in a chair. Like, the changes in strategy there sound pretty dang fascinating.

So yeah, it sounds like a pretty crap day but at least it made a rando on the internet pretty curious?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xiahou Dun posted:

That certainly sounds like an eventful but frustrating day. Sorry, hoss. Your son at least have fun?

He did great, he won the whole foil tournament and picked up a higher rating.

Xiahou Dun posted:

And fleche can be a surprisingly annoying little trick : I know because once upon a time I was the dumb kid who'd do it all the time when I shouldn't. If you're willing to commit to it as a technique you can get way, way more touches than you have any right to. I think it's just that it's such a dumb, overly aggressive strategy that people don't train for it as much as they should (in general, not you or sabre people in specific) : it's not like it's hard to counter, but unless you're used to it or prepared it's pretty easy to get surprised by o poo poo this guy is just bum rushing me with a sword aaaaah.

Yeah, in retrospect I should have had a way to deal with it. But the other guy knew I primarily did/do sabre and wouldn't be used to it. I can't fault him for using this strategy, it was a good move and my fault for not knowing the "one simple counter foil fencers have (click here)" that I should have had. I know what I'll be working on next week.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also I'd be fascinated to hear more about fencing against an opponent in a chair. Like, the changes in strategy there sound pretty dang fascinating.

I don't have enough experience to give any sort of meaningful answer there - going from sabre to wheelchair epee left me completely out of my depth.

It is fun, though - I also did a round of foil in the wheelchair in pools, and that was fun (I lost, but 5-4). Instead of doing footwork you lean back and forth, hard. I can really see how it would help practice hand speed, parries, and blade-work as that's pretty much all you have.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Yeah, the concept of "footwork" in wheelchair fencing, where I'm using that term clumsily (and probably offensively, sorry) to describe movement in the horizontal plane in general, sounds like it'd be fascinating. I'm gonna do some serious digging later cause it seems really interesting ; from an ignorant and probably wrong first impression, it seems like it'd favor fencers having rock-solid fundamentals and a kind of creeping advance. But I'm pulling that out of my butt so hopefully this comes off as sincere interest and not me being an ableist jerk.

As to the fleche thing, yeah, you got the idea. It really is just a lunge but more, so all the exact same techniques apply, with some minor modification cause it's faster and harder. In epee where you don't have to worry about right of way, you can counter it with just a stop-thrust which, I'm not gonna say it's the best strategy, but it's the technique that makes you most look like a sick-as-hell stone cold badass. And as a guy who's run into that (literally) a bunch of times, it profoundly takes you down a peg when you skewer your face on the other person's weapon.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh wow, I'm sorry it was a lovely day, they should have let you run sabre even if just for fun. It is cool that they accommodated the wheelchair fencer, though, i haven't seen much of it but it seems like a blast. Also really brutal, without the ability to step out of range it seems like a knife fight. I'm sure I'd get taken apart in seconds.

Re fleche in foil, yeah, it's a gimmick move that has a niche use - it's basically a lunge that doesn't have recovery as an option. Treat it the same as a sabre flunge: if you can spot the tell that it's coming, you should be able to make it fall short, then you can parry and riposte. My favourite is a nice big sweeping parry 2 and then stab them in the gut as they try to run past.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Umanov handling it as gracefully as I would expect. (Good riddance).

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Dang, yeah, that's not a particularly graceful response.
The EU got his boat, too: https://www.forbes.com/sites/giacomotognini/2022/03/02/germans-seize-russian-billionaire-alisher-usmanovs-mega-yacht/

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Anyone have experience with Krieger Armory?

https://www.kriegerarmory.com/

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Nope, but I figure it's promising that they bill themselves as being hema weapon manufacturers who also make swords, rather than purveyors of the finest hanzo steel to the discerning Street Sword practitioner.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

10 Beers posted:

Matt Easton recently did a review of one of their practice longswords and generally had a positive impression, though with a few minor issues:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43bj6xKIByA

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Thanks! I really like the look of them, but for the price I could get an Albion or A&A, so I dunno.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Yeah although it looks great, it seems too wobbly for my taste, especially considering you can get an Albion Meyer or Liechtenauer for the same $

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Is anyone familiar with Forge Fencing in Durham, NC?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

YoursTruly posted:

Is anyone familiar with Forge Fencing in Durham, NC?

It was my club in the before times. What’s your weapon?

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Foil is the only thing I've used before, but I would basically be starting from scratch regardless. I'm leaning towards epee or longsword this go around.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

They’re the place to go to, then, unless you want to schlep out to Apex. If you were serious about foil, Research Triangle Fencing would be the place to go.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

10 Beers posted:

I have their Hema sabre and I have liked it so far.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Apparently Duncan Arms, the guy that took over after New Stirling Arms isn't around anymore. Anyone got recommendations for wooden longsword wasters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I bought one of these when covid hit:

https://www.woodenswords.com/Longsword_L1_Hickory_with_Cherry_Guard_Pommel_p/l1.ch.wood.htm

It seems nice to me :shrug:

A HEMA instructor handled it for a few seconds one time and didn't immediately say it was crap, which is probably a better recommendation.