Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I have a dumb headcanon that Imperial contractors classify things weirdly in some cases because that's more lucrative or attractive to the generals and moffs signing the contracts.

Case in point the TX -225 GAVw Occupier "Tank"

A treaded vehicle with a broad cargo bed that runs about 2/3rds of its length and is shown transporting cargo. This is a treaded cargo vehicle, a space duece and a half half-track. Those are probably cheap clone wars surp blasters they knew weren't going to do anything without being able to traverse left and right they put on there to say it had "category whatever" armament and therefore qualified as a Heavy Armored Vehicle for Moff Dickhead's tank fetish. The guy on the pintle machine blaster is more dangerous than those fixed big bois. Some colonel adjutant knowing that Moff Dickhead just wants to spam tanks but that the army would need something to actually ferry cargo and men said "wow what a wonderful tank lets order a few hundred million."

Amusingly one of the most fun/effective things to do in the mini game where it has a troop transport ability is run it as a technical with an e-web in the back.

Really if you just imagine what "Imperial Procurement" is like with people promoted for political and ideological reasons to obscene levels of power you can make sense of anything. "I want it to be 8 stories tall and have LEGS" "Legs? For a troop transport?" "Yes, LEGS, and as the viceprefect with the emperor's ear you'd better give it four and make it look like a robot elephant!" Real Pentagon Wars Bradley Design By Committee poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
drat,I forgot to mention the First Order AT-AT dropship.

But as far as I can tell, there is only one shot of it, a still from the movie, nothing else exists, but it looks pretty badass:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Owlbear Camus posted:

Case in point the TX -225 GAVw Occupier "Tank"

A treaded vehicle with a broad cargo bed that runs about 2/3rds of its length and is shown transporting cargo. This is a treaded cargo vehicle, a space duece and a half half-track. Those are probably cheap clone wars surp blasters they knew weren't going to do anything without being able to traverse left and right they put on there to say it had "category whatever" armament and therefore qualified as a Heavy Armored Vehicle for Moff Dickhead's tank fetish. The guy on the pintle machine blaster is more dangerous than those fixed big bois. Some colonel adjutant knowing that Moff Dickhead just wants to spam tanks but that the army would need something to actually ferry cargo and men said "wow what a wonderful tank lets order a few hundred million."

It would probably be good at strafing infantry across a large, flat battlefield.

You know, the complete opposite of "occupying" a city.

Edit: so many poor troopers would get their shins blasted.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 11, 2021

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And I don't know why, but I love this ridiculous slug. It goes up, it goes down. The heat generated by its repulsors is enough to melt anything under it if it stays in one spot for too long and it has two huge guns which it can only aim by rotating it's entire fuselage.

Fuselarge.

But, a long time ago, this was the official version of how all Imperial heavy equipment got to surface of a planet.

By metal slugs :allears:

I'm not sure if it's still canonical, and this is a deep cut, but The Empire Strikes Back cassette radio drama elaborates on how the AT-ATs got onto Hoth. Basically they were Warhammer-Battlemech-whatever-style drop pods that landed beyond the Echo Base shield.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do like the idea of most Imperial equipment being mass produced and cheap but also totally unsuited for the specific job that it's meant for.

Sadly, just kinda bolting fixed, forward-facing guns to vehicles is just kind of a thing that a lot of people do when trying to add some Star Wars aesthetic, which is one thing if it's on a fast-moving maneuverable flying vehicle, but it's useless on something slower. It's weird, since A New Hope has that whole scene about how it's cool to have turrets with a full range of coverage protecting you while you make a getaway. I guess it just takes more work to add a swivel turret with a full range of motion than it does to just stick some cannons on the front.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm feeling that tartovsky starkiller.

The game devs said the reason for his weird reverse grip is they wanted the player to have a good peep at the glowstick.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That Boushh-y motherfucker.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Hoth is great but its always felt weird that we don't see any stormtroopers on the ground until we're inside the base itself. Other than that quick shot of an AT-ST it's just the walkers. The turrets I can understand but what are those rebels in the trenches doing? Shooting at the walkers? Hell, when one of them gets tripped and blown up a few of them jump out their trenches and start running towards the walkers!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And, that brings to mind another vehicle with incredibly useless guns - the Imperial combat assault tank:

It’s basically the Space StuG and I’m fine with that.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Like how the hell do people even get out of that thing? Ziplines or

There's a door in the side.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
ah, and the doors are the height for geonosians as well

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The egg that Klik-Klak hid later hatched to become a Geonosian queen[4] that called herself Karina by 0 ABY.[5] After losing her womb she attached herself to a portable droid factory and started using it as a mechanical womb to produce B1 battle droids which she saw as her Geonosian children. In 0 ABY, the Sith Lord Darth Vader visited Geonosis and forcefully took the droid factory away from her.[6]

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

moist turtleneck posted:

The egg that Klik-Klak hid later hatched to become a Geonosian queen[4] that called herself Karina by 0 ABY.[5] After losing her womb she attached herself to a portable droid factory and started using it as a mechanical womb to produce B1 battle droids which she saw as her Geonosian children. In 0 ABY, the Sith Lord Darth Vader visited Geonosis and forcefully took the droid factory away from her.[6]

drat it's like the handmaid's tale in space

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Hazo posted:

I'm not sure if it's still canonical, and this is a deep cut, but The Empire Strikes Back cassette radio drama elaborates on how the AT-ATs got onto Hoth. Basically they were Warhammer-Battlemech-whatever-style drop pods that landed beyond the Echo Base shield.

I think this is in the novelization, too. Disposable drop pods that crash land to the surface

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

moist turtleneck posted:

ah, and the doors are the height for geonosians as well

They have to be, otherwise the stormtroopers wouldn't have anywhere to bump their heads.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I love these designs they remind me of the original design they wanted to use for the fighter things in the Stargate movie.

https://youtu.be/ebDAZGkNSKo?t=890

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It would probably be good at strafing infantry across a large, flat battlefield.

You know, the complete opposite of "occupying" a city.

Edit: so many poor troopers would get their shins blasted.

Coincidentally it's biggest weakness in the miniature game is that it is incapable of moving over any terrain taller than a chest-high wall

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

indigi posted:

What was the original story

A version of Star Wars, much like the different versions of the Yellow King, that shares many names, characters, and plot details, but is also very different

quote:

Young Annikin Starkiller, son of former Jedi Bendu Kane Starkiller, is leaving their homeworld Utapau in the Kessil system for Aquilae, a planet which is still independent of the New Galactic Empire.

Aquilae, home of Princess Leia, is targeted by the Empire for conquest due to its advanced cloning technologies. The Aquilaen King learns of the plot from one of his spies, Clieg Whitsun, who is an operative on the Imperial capital planet Alderaan. In defense of his world, the Aquilaen King attacks the Empire's Space Fortress, causing a pair of droids to crash down into the inhospitable Jundland Wastes region of the planet.

The King dies shortly thereafter, moving Princess Leia into the position of the Empire's target for a puppet ruler. Annikin Starkiller is now Padawan to Luke Skywalker, and the pair travel to protect the Princess. After rescuing her, the pair lead her through the Jundland Wastes to the spaceport town Gordon, where they meet Han Solo, a Urellian, a tall reptilian with a reputation for hunting Wookiees on their home planet of Yavin.

Solo, an old friend of Kane Starkiller, charters a freighter off-world, captained by an individual named Valorum. While escaping from Imperial patrols, Kane dies sacrificing himself to save the others, and Valorum is revealed as a Sith Knight.

After escaping from Valorum by stealing an Imperial ship, the protagonists are chased through an asteroid field and forced to land on the Wookiee homeworld. There they align with the Wookiees, who are in the midst of fighting Urellians, and meet a Wookiee named Chewbacca. The group gathers at the home of a pair of anthropologists, Owen and Beru Lars, while Leia is recaptured by Imperial forces and taken to the Space Fortress.

Rushing back to Aquilae to save Leia, Annikin dons stormtrooper armor to infiltrate the Space Fortress, but is captured in the process. A largely off-screen Darth Vader orders Valorum to kill Starkiller, but Valorum has a change of heart and sets Starkiller free. Starkiller rescues Leia and escapes just in time, as Luke Skywalker leads a squadron of fighters piloted by Wookiees to destroy the Space Fortress.

Returning to Aquilae, now-Queen Leia appoints Annikin Starkiller "Lord Protector of Aquilae."

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

And that's not even getting into the rough outlines and notes he had before actually putting a script together.

His first attempt was called "The Journal of the Whills", and is just a handwritten outline that's basically The Phantom Menace with some names changed. It follows Jedi Bendu Mace Windy and his Padawaan CJ Thorpe on a mission to investigate the planet Yoshiro, which has been annexed by the Empire. In order to save the planet, the Jedi need to protect Prince Luke Starkiller, and along the way they gain the aid of the planet's amphibious natives after befriending one named Han Solo.

His next full outline has more detail, and is a bit more recognizable as "Star Wars", but there's no battle against the Death Star, and the movie ends with the rescue of the princess because the second act was taken up by Return of the Jedi's Ewok shenanigans.

quote:

The original synopsis takes place in the 33rd century, where a young princess is fleeing from the Empire with one of her generals (Luke Skywalker) and 200 pounds of spice.

A couple of Imperial bureaucrats who are also fleeing from the battle crash land on the same planet the princess is on, and after discovering some of the spice, are found by Skywalker and taken back to his camp, where he and the princess (disguised as farmers) are hiding out.

The group heads towards a spaceport city, evading an Imperial patrol on the way, but their speeder is damaged and they're forced to take cover in an abandoned temple, which has been taken over by a band of teenagers with attitude. The boys declare they're going to fight the Empire in the name of the princess, but Skywalker only accepts their help once they manage to kill a beast that attacks them on the way to the spaceport.

Once they get to the spaceport, Skywalker and one of the boys goes into a local cantina. After a drunk starts hassling the boy, Skywalker is forced to kill him with his lazer sword. After the fight, the general makes contact with a ship captain who claims to be friendly to the Rebels and offers them transport, but he betrays them and the group is forced to steal a ship while under fire from the Empire.

Once in space, the Empire gives chase, and Skywalker teaches the boys how to use the ship's guns. The ship is damaged during the fight, and begins a crash landing on a forbidden forest planet. The group is forced to split up as they bail from the ship and set up a camp to use as a base while they look for the ones who are missing.

Skywalker and his rescue party race through the forest on "jet sticks", and get into an altercation with the planet's furry native aliens, which ends with them getting captured at spear-point and taken back to their primitive city, where they're sentenced to death as a tribute to the general, who the aliens worship as a god.

Skywalker manages to convince the aliens not to kill his friends, and they show him that not only is the Empire on their planet, but another tribe has found the Princess and traded her to the Empire in exchange for a tank.

Skywalker rounds up the rest of the rebel boys from where they've been hiding with a nearby farmer, and raid the Imperial camp, commandeering a squadron of one-man fighters.

Disguised as Imperials, Skywalker and the rebel boys travel to the Imperial prison planet, where the Princess is being held captive. They sneak in to rescue her, but a fight breaks out and many of the boys are killed as they help the Princess escape.

Once they reach the Princess' safe world, the surviving rebel boys are awarded medals and assigned to be her special guard.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Robot Style posted:

And that's not even getting into the rough outlines and notes he had before actually putting a script together.

His first attempt was called "The Journal of the Whills", and is just a handwritten outline that's basically The Phantom Menace with some names changed. It follows Jedi Bendu Mace Windy and his Padawaan CJ Thorpe on a mission to investigate the planet Yoshiro, which has been annexed by the Empire. In order to save the planet, the Jedi need to protect Prince Luke Starkiller, and along the way they gain the aid of the planet's amphibious natives after befriending one named Han Solo.

His next full outline has more detail, and is a bit more recognizable as "Star Wars", but there's no battle against the Death Star, and the movie ends with the rescue of the princess because the second act was taken up by Return of the Jedi's Ewok shenanigans.

It's interesting how close this is the ten minute version that was released on Super 8 for home theatres. Just boiling Star Wars down to as distilled an essence as possible: get the boys together, rescue the princess, fly off into the sunset space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LSW90Bd2UQ

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

spaceport town Gordon
I love this a lot.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Yes, these drafts have George's big dumb fantasy names all over them and then you get something like "CJ Thorpe." I assume when he met the Prince he was going to introduce himself like an O-lineman on Sunday Night Football. "CJ Thorpe, The Ohio State University; I'm here to rescue you."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's neat to see how many little organelles of movies that wouldn't come out for another quarter century are in these treatments.

JethroMcB posted:

Yes, these drafts have George's big dumb fantasy names all over them and then you get something like "CJ Thorpe." I assume when he met the Prince he was going to introduce himself like an O-lineman on Sunday Night Football. "CJ Thorpe, The Ohio State University; I'm here to rescue you."

Ozamataz Buckshank

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

veni veni veni posted:

This is most of Star Wars tbh.

Like, don't think about AT-ATs or cloud cars for more than 3 seconds just enjoy that it looks cool.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_F-82_Twin_Mustang

:colbert:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

you have bad taste in airplanes

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

CJ is apparently short for "Chuiee Two".

Journal of the Whills posted:

I am Chuiee Two Thorpe of Kissel. My father is Han Dardell Thorpe, chief pilot of the renown galactic cruiser Tarnack. As a family we were not rich, except in honor, and valuing this above all mundane possessions, I chose the profession of my father, rather than a more profitable career. I was 16 I believe, and pilot of the trawler Balmung, when my ambitions demanded that I enter the exalted Intersystems Academy to train as a potential Jedi-Templer. It is here that I became padawaan learner to the great Mace Windy, highest of all the Jedi-bendu masters, and at that time, Warlord to the Chairman of the Alliance of Independent Systems.
Never shall I forget the occasion upon which I first set eyes upon Mace Windy. It was at the great feast of the Pleabs...

It's complete nonsense.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

you have bad taste in airplanes

not saying the f82's great, just that it existed

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

ghosthorse posted:

not saying the f82's great, just that it existed

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

veni veni veni posted:

This is most of Star Wars tbh.

Like, don't think about AT-ATs or cloud cars for more than 3 seconds just enjoy that it looks cool.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Machines like the Boston Dynamics bot can right themselves and (presumably) don't immediately explode if they're knocked over.

Do not disrespect BigDog in this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXJZVZFRFJc

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

A metal gear!?!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Speaking of space tanks, one SUPER overlooked Star Wars Tank I always liked is the unnamed Rebel Tank that only appeared in the original Rogue Squadron on the N64. It's so obscure that it doesn't even have a name. Can you imagine it, a Star Wars vehicle that doesn't have a complete development history, serial number, name, and manufacturer! The only images of it that exist are this extremely blurry screen cap from wookiepedia and a single piece of low quality fan art

In addition to a forward facing big laser and a 360 degree turret with AA capabilities, it also doubles as an APC. You work alongside a couple to escort a convoy of transports , and then later provide air cover for a company of them when they assault an Imperial Base. If you unlock the secret AT-ST level, you can even fight one, but only if you first blow up a Rebel bunker, letting the troops that flee from it reach the tank, and have destroyed the shuttle it would take off from. It will kill you in like 2 seconds.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's neat to see how many little organelles of movies that wouldn't come out for another quarter century are in these treatments.

Ozamataz Buckshank

Not a fan of X-Wing @Aliciousness from Missouri Western State?

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

"Online classes!" :haw:

edit: if you're unfamiliar (video starts at the right spot)
https://youtu.be/rT1nGjGM2p8?t=180

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

As ever with AT-ATs, this leads to questions like "Why don't we skip the added cost and weak point of legs and just use these much bigger floating metal boxes to crush our enemies?"

If you have a thing that is heavy enough to drop multiple AT-ATs, this is hard to overlook even for a Imperial wunderwaffen designer obsessed with Evil Aesthetic.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Sodomy Hussein posted:

As ever with AT-ATs, this leads to questions like "Why don't we skip the added cost of weak point of legs and just use these much bigger floating metal boxes to crush our enemies?"

If you have a thing that is heavy enough to drop multiple AT-ATs, this is hard to overlook even for a Imperial wunderwaffen designer obsessed with Evil Aesthetic.

This is the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that gets you sent down to dianoga removal duty, ensign.