Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

El Fideo posted:

Lotteries for the opportunity to buy computer hardware? Very cyberpunk.

Agreed. Although the alternative, me not being able to find one at all and either continue going without or paying some insane scalper price, is even worse. So I'm grateful enough, Which I guess is even more cyberpunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Play posted:

Agreed. Although the alternative, me not being able to find one at all and either continue going without or paying some insane scalper price, is even worse. So I'm grateful enough, Which I guess is even more cyberpunk

i'm misappropriating company property to play games. i touch spreadsheets for a living, they wouldn't have given me an rtx machine and local admin rights if they didn't want me to play games on it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

El Fideo posted:

Lotteries for the opportunity to buy computer hardware? Very cyberpunk.

Most of the time it sucks, anyway: you won the lottery! Now you have the opportunity to buy this GPU at MSRP... and it comes bundled with a 400 dollar add-on that nobody wants which Newegg is having trouble moving stock of! Now it's like you're paying scalper prices anyway, but you get some garbage with your card!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

aniviron posted:

Most of the time it sucks, anyway: you won the lottery! Now you have the opportunity to buy this GPU at MSRP... and it comes bundled with a 400 dollar add-on that nobody wants which Newegg is having trouble moving stock of! Now it's like you're paying scalper prices anyway, but you get some garbage with your card!

Bonus points if it's an exploding Gigabyte PSU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
I lucked out getting my 3070 for only like a 20% markup back in February. I had finally got my unemployment check after months of fighting with them.

The only reason I bought it too is that I had to buy a new GPU for work because my 1060's fans both ate poo poo when the card thermally expanded a lil too much and the blades of the fans clipped into the back of my wifi card's exposed pins. That's what I get for trying to build an ITX computer and not buying a mobo with built in wifi.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
You monsters made me realize that my CPU is now six years old and, even though it's getting by fine for my purposes at the moment, I'd be tempted to splurge if/when things settle down.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
*nods in GTX 970*

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Cost price 2070 baybeeeee

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

You monsters made me realize that my CPU is now six years old and, even though it's getting by fine for my purposes at the moment, I'd be tempted to splurge if/when things settle down.

For the last four years, every time I started looking up prices for a new desktop, some disaster struck. The ten year old i5-2500K still keeps me going, thankfully. I won't be playing "masterpiece" triple-A's any time soon, but as it turns out there's a large amount of even better titles that don't require all that power.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

tokin opposition posted:

*nods in GTX 970*

Got one myself and have no complaints. There's very little I can't play as long as I'm not playing in 4k at max detail.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

1070Ti half off!! Bought mine just as the 20xx series came out and a shop was clearing stock

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Quill posted:

For the last four years, every time I started looking up prices for a new desktop, some disaster struck. The ten year old i5-2500K still keeps me going, thankfully. I won't be playing "masterpiece" triple-A's any time soon, but as it turns out there's a large amount of even better titles that don't require all that power.

I finally upgraded from the 2500k last year. Ten year old thing was the GOAT. Gave it and some other old parts away to a goon building a PC for their niece. :3: I hope it is still going strong.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

It's better to hold out a bit longer if you can anyway, with the move to DDR5 happening in the near future

It will be expensive at first but things should start setting down later into next year

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
This is all a conspiracy to make us buy Steam Deck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

It's better to hold out a bit longer if you can anyway, with the move to DDR5 happening in the near future

It will be expensive at first but things should start setting down later into next year

prices will fall that quickly?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rinkles posted:

prices will fall that quickly?

It seems really, really optimistic to assume that prices will fall on any brand new electronic equipment any time soon, yeah.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DDR5 is launching in a matter of weeks for Intel's new platform so I'm thinking on the order of a year from now things will be settling down, but there's no way to say for sure

AMDs new platform will only support DDR5 so I certainly hope the RAM is somewhat affordable (Intel is supporting both DDR4 and DDR5 for a while)

Kanos posted:

It seems really, really optimistic to assume that prices will fall on any brand new electronic equipment any time soon, yeah.

The silicon shortages haven't affected memory prices all that much :shrug:

repiv fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 12, 2021

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
That assumes the supply chains get unfucked in that timeframe which lol lmao it's never getting better

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

DDR5 is launching in a matter of weeks for Intel's new platform so I'm thinking on the order of a year from now things will be settling down, but there's no way to say for sure

AMDs new platform will only support DDR5 so I certainly hope the RAM is somewhat affordable (Intel is supporting both DDR4 and DDR5 for a while)

i was thinking of putting a new pc together, but i can wait a year if ddr5 prices should be reasonable in that time frame.

though isn't the first batch of a new generation of memory usually also not actually much of an improvement over the last gen of DDR?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

though isn't the first batch of a new generation of memory usually also not actually much of an improvement over the last gen of DDR?

Maybe, when Intel launches Alder Lake in November we'll see how early DDR5 performs in practice compared to mature DDR4

It's a DDR4/DDR5 hybrid platform so we should get apples-to-apples comparisons on the same CPU just with different memory

repiv fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 12, 2021

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm a filthy rear end in a top hat that good a 3080 FE at launch for cost.

It's me, I'm the worst.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

repiv posted:

Supply chains are still massively hosed and look to be hosed at least well into next year even if we don't have an outbreak of some sort of Omega Covid variant emerging and ruining everything again. We have a lot of current gen memory available already floating around in stock, so prices haven't spiked as badly as other computer hardware, but for a totally brand new product that needs to be produced from the ground up to build up supply I'm not optimistic at all.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fuzz posted:

I'm a filthy rear end in a top hat that good a 3080 FE at launch for cost.

It's me, I'm the worst.

You'd have been indeed had you sold it back for 2x-3x times the cost. That would have been a :capitalism: move, young scalper. Not the case, though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ram prices were already lovely, so I guess they couldn't get worse.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I had this modest gaming rig made for me back in the spring of '17 with a 1070 in it. Some months ago I noticed that my card was getting a little long in the tooth and I wanted to upgrade it... I had absolutely nooooooooo idea what COVID, buttcoiners and scalpers had done to modest individual users like me who wanted to make a simple upgrade.

To put it another way, anti-vaxxers should be infected with mange, buttcoiners should be imprisoned at the bottom of a public lavatory and scalpers should be scalped about two inches above the collarbone.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

If we're bragging about lovely computers, I've got a 10 year old i3, with a GTX 660 :getin:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The General posted:

If we're bragging about lovely computers, I've got a 10 year old i3, with a GTX 660 :getin:

:cheers: 8 year old i5 with a 660ti. Fan shroud rattles a bit, hold together little buddy.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I have a 1050TI. No idea if where that falls, but I'm able to play whatever games I want*, so it's good enough for me.

*FF15 seems to be the exception, but as I understand it, that game is a poorly optimized resource hog that can make even the best systems have issues. I'll stick to playing it on my PS4. Doubly so, since I've yet to find a mod that lets you start as Older Noctis.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I still think my 260 Gainward was a neat looking card. It was the first I had with those modern plastic shells. :shobon:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Quill posted:

That's the funny part. 95% of the games I actually spend time playing could run on just about anything. Is it really worth it just to cover that other 5%? Well, apparently the answer is yes but it does make me feel like a bit of an idiot

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

The General posted:

i5-750 still plays everything I've thrown at it and it's 12 years old now :shrug: Of course I did get a 1050 some years ago when the old gpu died.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i have 16gb of ram in my laptop with a 2060 :cool:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Rynoto posted:

i5-750 still plays everything I've thrown at it and it's 12 years old now :shrug: Of course I did get a 1050 some years ago when the old gpu died.

The i3 decidedly does not play lots of things I throw at it :smith:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
My almost 10 year old laptop : i3-4010U Prozessor, 1,7 GHz, Intel HD Graphics, 4 GB ram

Runs factorio tolerably and Mindustry quite well. I gave it to my father while he is in the hospital and it runs Shadow Empire and Xenonauts just fine for him.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

^ you might think that's the coolest video card I own

but you'd be wrong

because I also own this one

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
psssh this is where it's at

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Those things benchmarked well, for their era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmCEXbspWuI

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

ilitarist posted:

This is all a conspiracy to make us buy Steam Deck.

Play posted:

That's the funny part. 95% of the games I actually spend time playing could run on just about anything. Is it really worth it just to cover that other 5%? Well, apparently the answer is yes but it does make me feel like a bit of an idiot

Exactly this. If I have to spend $700 on a GPU anyways why not get a whole computer? Most of the stuff I end up playing wouldn't push a GPU anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

pseudorandom name posted:

Those things benchmarked well, for their era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmCEXbspWuI

:stare:

(actually I think the camera should have panned down and shown confetti on the keyboard)