Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
I was very excited about the mercenaries mode and even pre-ordered one of the sets instead of spending money on Stormwind. Now, three days from release I am noticing that there is zero content or excitement for this mode. Did Blizz just decide to not market it, or is it going to be really bad and I threw away some cash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

They've been pushing the bundles and pre-orders but after the early reveals there hasn't been much new stuff. Honestly, there probably isn't much else to see. It's not exactly a deep game mode, and there was a fair bit of backlash from the community about the pricing so maybe they decided that more marketing of it was doing more harm than good re: their hemorrhaging playerbase.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Padical posted:

I was very excited about the mercenaries mode and even pre-ordered one of the sets instead of spending money on Stormwind. Now, three days from release I am noticing that there is zero content or excitement for this mode. Did Blizz just decide to not market it, or is it going to be really bad and I threw away some cash?

A ton of streamers were invited to a preview event this week and I can't think of one that has been negative on it, but they are still under NDA. There are a lot of youtube videos out there from the first event like a month ago, not sure when the second NDA lifts or if they have any plans for next week.

Honestly, there's not really much more to show, everything has been datamined and explained already. People have already been theorycrafting off of the datamining.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 9, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Tuxedo Gin posted:

They've been pushing the bundles and pre-orders but after the early reveals there hasn't been much new stuff. Honestly, there probably isn't much else to see. It's not exactly a deep game mode, and there was a fair bit of backlash from the community about the pricing so maybe they decided that more marketing of it was doing more harm than good re: their hemorrhaging playerbase.

Trumpsc has been doing videos on Mercenaries for a few weeks now. I'm sure others have as well, noting that Kibler has not.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Padical posted:

I also pre-ordered a package and remain excited for the mode. The RPG elements integrated into hearthstone feels tailor made to scratch my particular itch.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Current Tonk build. Just smashed a MillRogue cause they thought having Stealth would save them when it really just means I can't TARGET them.

### Tonkosaurus2.0
# Class: Hunter
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Flare
# 2x (1) Play Dead
# 2x (1) Tracking
# 1x (2) Bear Trap
# 2x (2) Explosive Trap
# 1x (2) Feign Death
# 2x (2) Mad Scientist
# 2x (2) Pack Tactics
# 2x (2) Phase Stalker
# 2x (2) Pressure Plate
# 1x (3) Inconspicuous Rider
# 2x (3) Nine Lives
# 2x (3) Ursatron
# 1x (4) Necromechanic
# 1x (5) Barak Kodobane
# 1x (5) Zilliax
# 1x (6) Oblivitron
# 1x (6) Sylvanas Windrunner
# 2x (7) Darkmoon Tonk
#
AAEBAa/XAwi5DccP0RTw9QKggAPxlgPo4QPl7wMLgAf3DZzNAvKWA7acA5+lA/uvA6S5A4PiA6mfBOOfBAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I pretty much had a couple months off playing, came back and went 12 in Arena four times in a row, two of them 12-0. I did come back down to earth with a 1-3 immediately after, but that was quite a shock. Don't think I've ever strung together more than 2.

Nobody really cares about that (or this probably), but I had a great rage add today:

I literally said Greetings (after they did) and then Well Played after they conceded. They snap added me and posted this then immediately deleted me before I could even type 'lol'. The best part was that they were in a hugely winning position all game and emoting a whole bunch about it. Some people are so loving psychotic.

Also weird, I have Alex in my deck, and two games in a row I played Alex, only to have my opponent kill my Alex with their Alex that they also had in hand naturally. And I died to Alex the game before that. Very strange.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

oh, in general don't Well Played unless they (the loser/conceder) do it first.

But of course vs. an emoter it is fantastic and an acceptable exception.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
You haven't really got a rage add until they threaten to kill you and your whole family. lol that there is no reporting system for stuff like that. Racist/abelist/etc slurs are just icing on the cake

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Desert Bus posted:

lol that there is no reporting system for stuff like that

in the game client.

You can go out to the battle.net client and find them on your list for the report button

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

oh, in general don't Well Played unless they (the loser/conceder) do it first.

people who get offended at this are insane.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

gowb posted:

people who get offended at this are insane.

??? It's a cultural convention that has been in e-sports for over two decades, notably in 1v1 games where the loser has the initiative to end the game. It makes sense and is perfectly fine.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

AnacondaHL posted:

??? It's a cultural convention that has been in e-sports for over two decades, notably in 1v1 games where the loser has the initiative to end the game. It makes sense and is perfectly fine.

I dunno, man. Almost every HS game I've ever played ends with both parties saying Well Played regardless if the winner started it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

AnacondaHL posted:

"e-sports" hasn't existed for "over two decades" and you're making this up. the entire idea of a "rude GG" was invented out of thin air by the kind of thin-skinned ragelord GaMeRs who always have a laundry-list of excuses when they lose at a game. it's an incredibly petty form of gatekeeping and i am disappointed that people are still trying to promote it, especially when it's being promoted with the lie that this is a settled piece of etiquette

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 12, 2021

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

"e-sports" hasn't existed for "over two decades" and you're making this up. the entire idea of a "rude GG" was invented out of thin air by the kind of thin-skinned ragelord GaMeRs who always have a laundry-list of excuses when they lose at a game. it's an incredibly petty form of gatekeeping and i am disappointed that people are still trying to promote it, especially when it's being promoted with the lie that this is a settled piece of etiquette

ok, it has been almost 19 years, whatever, I forgot what year StarCraft leagues started. It has been around longer in MtG card gaming and chess in the form of extending the handshake.

You call it thin air, but that's literally every etiquette rule. It's a compromise between the rudeness of leaving early versus preventing the sarcastic taunt. It works, I don't know why you have such a vendetta against it, but it's a simple thing to do and makes sense.

Like goddamn what is so wrong about a cultural rule that directs us to treat each other better?

Strawberry Panda posted:

I dunno, man. Almost every HS game I've ever played ends with both parties saying Well Played regardless if the winner started it.

That's great, I'm glad you've had that experience, but 1) sorry I really doubt it and 2) when stakes are any higher than zero, even if they send it back, all your opponents probably weren't feeling the same thing. Have some empathy, and just let the loser do it first.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Patch notes for tommorow. Mostly just adding Mercenaries and some cosmetic bundles but some bug fixes too. They say it only costs 900 gold to fully upgrade your town in Mercenaries, which isn't bad at all. It's low enough that I wonder why they even bothered putting a gold cost on it at all.

Also Finkle Einhorn(the token spawned by The Beast) got renamed. I assume they'll do the same for the NPC in WoW.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 12, 2021

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

The fact people get their day ruined by a 5 minute game of cards with zero stakes is, I dunno, something. Sad, or cool, or privileged, or focused. Something.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

ok, it has been almost 19 years, whatever, I forgot what year StarCraft leagues started. It has been around longer in MtG card gaming and chess in the form of extending the handshake.

You call it thin air, but that's literally every etiquette rule. It's a compromise between the rudeness of leaving early versus preventing the sarcastic taunt. It works, I don't know why you have such a vendetta against it, but it's a simple thing to do and makes sense.

Like goddamn what is so wrong about a cultural rule that directs us to treat each other better?

That's great, I'm glad you've had that experience, but 1) sorry I really doubt it and 2) when stakes are any higher than zero, even if they send it back, all your opponents probably weren't feeling the same thing. Have some empathy, and just let the loser do it first.

I’m imagining you at your little league games absolutely FUMING that the winning team started lining up for high fives first

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

generally it's fine but when a game was objectively not even remotely a good game it is kinda lovely to say so.

in wild, I play totem shaman and generally it is a below average deck. sometimes, though, i just get the nuts draw and i have turn 4 lethal or 4-5 eys'ors by turn 4/5. it would be pretty lovely of me to say "well played"

yeah it's stupid to get mad at games but HS emotes are a bit different than other games where you have full chat capabilities. when all your interaction has been reduced to a handful of emotes it is pretty easy to get traumatized by them. when you've lost to your 6th res priest in a row, it's pretty easy to reach a point where "if i hear that smug loving rear end in a top hat anduin tell me well played one more time...." is going through your head. it's stupid but it's also a normal human reaction and not reserved for GAMERZ.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
If you were playing chess and your opponent reached over to shake your hand when you were in a bad position to tell you to resign, would you think that shows good sportsmanship? That's the equivalent of saying well played first to a losing player. It's not hard to understand.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I think it's been hashed out before in the thread, but I'm pretty set in my ways at this point. I emote WP at the end of most of my games. My competitive gaming background had no etiquette over who wrote gg or wp at the end of the game, and it seems like a kinda neurotic strain of thought that means the winner must only ever respond rather than proactively say well played.

It's unfortunate that such a tiny gesture drives a small fraction of players bonkers, but them's the breaks I guess. It is so obviously distinct from actually BMing, like roping or emoting over and over, that it really seems like a problem on the receivers end if it really winds them up. Squelching was designed for them. So long as a game wasn't like a 5 turn walkover, it seems generally respectful to do it and I don't mind at all when people do to for me. I'm happier signalling to my opponent that it was a good game/that they played well as a respectful gesture because I think it is taken so, or at least neutrally, by the majority rather than never proactively emoting at all on the off-chance that it might upset some ornery weirdo.

While I appreciate that maybe only ever responding with WP as the winner could be the least potentially harmful option, very, very few losing opponents say WP in the first place. I wouldn't want to put a number on it, but certainly a tiny minority. It would basically make it a dead emote. Whereas when I lead with WP as the winner, a sizeable proportion say it back to me. And I respond in kind as the loser too, barring exceptional circumstances.

A lot of words to say that 'Well Played' is in the eye of the beholder tbh. If you hate to hear it when you lose in an otherwise unremarkable, average game of HS, the problem is probably with your own mindset.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It is considered a sign of a bad loser not to say GG at the end of a game. Random ladder games sure you might not follow the etiquette all the time but leaving without a GG is basically saying the winner won an undeserved victory or the loser revealing themselves to be really sore for whatever reason. You can deny to yourself that this etiquette exists if you want but you're just being bullheaded.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
I'm seeing all this controversy over GG/WP and here I'd be happy enough just to stop having toxic players say "Thanks" or "Hello" after winning or about to win a match.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Flayer posted:

It is considered a sign of a bad loser not to say GG at the end of a game. Random ladder games sure you might not follow the etiquette all the time but leaving without a GG is basically saying the winner won an undeserved victory or the loser revealing themselves to be really sore for whatever reason. You can deny to yourself that this etiquette exists if you want but you're just being bullheaded.

Is that right? Better let almost every single Hearthstone player know because nearly everyone just snap concedes without emoting whatsoever.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
God they really need to just remove Battleground Battlemaster from the game. Any class being able to just double their board damage(or more when combined with attack buffs) is just absurd.

Flayer posted:

Calling people bullheaded for NOT emoting is the same as being mad at emoting tbh

Anyway, yeah it can be frustrating when someone is BMing. For Well Playeds at the end of the game I would just try to assume the opponent is doing it in good faith.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 12, 2021

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Jeza posted:

Is that right? Better let almost every single Hearthstone player know because nearly everyone just snap concedes without emoting whatsoever.
Yeah, most HS players are bm. And I include myself in that as I rarely follow the accepted etiquette myself in random ladder games (although I always do when playing friends). However I do not deny it exists just because I don't adhere to it and/or actively bm people as well.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Flayer posted:

If you were playing chess and your opponent reached over to shake your hand when you were in a bad position to tell you to resign, would you think that shows good sportsmanship? That's the equivalent of saying well played first to a losing player. It's not hard to understand.

Counterpoint - after winning a game of chess (or anything in the real world) it would be considered bad form as the winner not to say 'well played' to your losing opponent. In HS you have about 1 second after a game finishes before disconnect so doing it after they concede isnt practical.

It comes down to situation and timings I guess, but I emote well played very often when I have lethal on the board at the start of the turn. It seems totally fine to me and I don't get triggered when people do that to me.

Doing it 3 turns earlier when you're winning but the opponent could still have or draw a solution to their board is where it gets rude IMO. People don't do that much though in my personal experience.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

gowb posted:

I’m imagining you at your little league games absolutely FUMING that the winning team started lining up for high fives first

no.

quote:

in 1v1 games where the loser has the initiative to end the game

edit: and even moreso, the random-rear end etiquette that baseball has is a good example: completely arbitrary rule, you just do it to promote good sportsmanship, it's fine.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 12, 2021

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
If I say well played at the end of every game no matter what, would it matter if I say it first?

It can also signal to my opponent that I have lethal in hand and they can try to plan accordingly. It's like saying check.

Maybe I just want to tell them I had fun playing the video game with them, and even if it may have been frustrating for them to lose, I'd like to acknowledge that they put up a good fight.

Disargeria fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 12, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Link to pdf of all mercenaries at launch https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/gallery/dz/DZTV63OQI11Q1633962629130.pdf

I assume it goes live at the usual 10AM PDT time.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Emoting "I will hunt you down" when you win is LESS bm than well played. That's how bm well played is.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I can't imagine anyone getting mad over someone not emoting in a game that is often played on mobile devices while also being infamous for not being particularly well-optimized or good at keeping a connection. Especially considering you only have a very brief window of time to emote after the match ends anyway. Plus all of the actual messages being different for the different hero portraits and sometimes not being very clear.

Getting mad over an emote being used a certain way, rather than not used, I can at least somewhat understand.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

You can't expect children to know etiquette.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Flayer posted:

Adding to the other reasons already mentioned by above posters, this wasn't picked up in Hearthstone because the concede phase happens so fast and is clear and has an autoemote anyways. I wouldn't sweat this at all on ladder.

In HS tournaments though this does exist, but again it's not as strong as it is in other games.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

If you're getting mad at bideo james because it's the only thing giving you comfort and control, play something that lets you mercilessly wallop on AI. Not a PvP game where a green man repeatedly says "the elements will destroy you!".

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It never ceases to amaze me how mad people get over emotes.

They should bring back sorry.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sorry was less BM than hello, well played, and wow. It was actually appropriate in a game with giant lowrolls too. I still remember Gul'dan sorry so well...

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

some of you have never had some opponent pull off a good play, whether in hearthstone or starcraft or whatever, and say "gg" or emote well played despite the fact that they don't know what you've got in hand/in store to respond, and that seems strange, too me

No Wave posted:

Sorry was less BM than hello, well played, and wow. It was actually appropriate in a game with giant lowrolls too. I still remember Gul'dan sorry so well...

thankfully we have noggenfogger

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Anyone who's played a moba has heard early gg from their own teammates, a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

Here is a quest rogue I've played this month into top 500 (27-23). I swapped in shroud and prep instead of cult neos and the 3/1 stealth - I feel it leads to less completely dead hands and gives me always a way to at least get some draw going.

### Spell Quest
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (0) Shadowstep
# 1x (1) Find the Imposter
# 2x (1) Secret Passage
# 2x (1) SI:7 Extortion
# 1x (2) Foxy Fraud
# 2x (2) SI:7 Skulker
# 2x (2) Swindle
# 1x (2) Tenwu of the Red Smoke
# 2x (2) Wicked Stab (Rank 1)
# 2x (3) Greyheart Sage
# 2x (3) Shroud of Concealment
# 2x (3) SI:7 Agent
# 2x (3) SI:7 Operative
# 2x (4) SI:7 Informant
# 1x (6) Battleground Battlemaster
# 2x (7) SI:7 Assassin
#
AAECAZurBATf3QPD4QOm+QPH+QMNz7kDqssD590DqusD/u4Dn/QDofQDovQDo/UDpvUD9Z8E9p8E958EAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

It feels like a good 50/50 deck where you have a chance against most of the meta, and at least get to do some interesting stuff along the way.